W7 to W8 upgrade - Samsung 7005za no longer supporting 5.1

marcofoo

I upgraded from W7 to W8 last week and have since watched movies and played music from my laptop via my Samsung LCD TV which is connected by optical cable to my 5.1 Samsung surround sound.

All was working well in W7 however since the upgrade I've no longer got an option to play the sound through 5.1. Stereo is the only option.

I have installed the sound drivers and I also has K-lite Mega Codec Pack and AC3 Filter. AC3 Filter has given me some options to overrule the windows settings but the sound does not feel natural.

Why has the option to use 5.1 in W8 disappeared?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Samsung Chronos 7
I don't want speak badly about upgrade paths but MS does this every time they have board meetings to hash out the upgrade path and pricing index. They have a huge development team that decides what features stay and what features disappear. Sometimes it's by accident, most the time it's for more money via support calls and upgrade features $$$...

I always do a fresh install of my OS, that is my suggestion to you. If their licensing allows you to fresh install it and only give your previous activation number from the other os as proof (which they did in the past) then you can go that route.

Now for the real tech help ---
1) Right click on speaker icon in the lower left on the desktop (to get to the desktop from the metro menu hit winkey+D ).
2) Select "playback devices"
3) Find the SPDIF out playback device that goes to your Samsung receiver. If you have multiple SPDIF out right click on each one and hit "TEST" until you hear it come out of the correct speakers. No right click on the correct SPDIF out and select properties.
4) In properties check "Sample Rates" and make sure 48khz or above is selected and be aware that selecting a very high rate like 192mhz may not be support by your equipment. My Sony receiver supports only up to 92khz stream but I have the option to select 192khz.
5) In the properties section check the "Ecoded Formats". You should be able to select and test what your receiver can support, test each one and select the ones that work, un-select the ones that do not.

----------The real in depth super complex tech info
During the upgrade, it dumps a bunch of log files and depending on checks and licenses and various unkown and undocumented features the installer may or may not disable audio features that are "built-in" to windows. These features have never had to be added, they have always been there but a setup program just removes the entries and disables the features then they put an add in the media player suggesting you pay for the features that you already paid for. Lovely right?

For example here is something from a windows 8 log upgrade
common\mfplayer.cpp:2619: ConstrainCodecs: ... Disabling transform "Microsoft Dolby Digital Plus Decoder MFT" with CLSID [177c0afe-900b-48d4-9e4c-57add250b3d4].

As you can see, it's built-in and it has a CLSID associated with it, with a proper registry import you could get your functions back but you would need to have someone graciously donate a registry dump with all the formats enabled. The community that knows about this are generally very hostile toward people asking for such information so you chances of finding real help are very low.

Now for the good news, an open source project called "Media Player Classic HD" has certain features built into it to completely bypass windows audio transform mechanisms and feed raw data straight to your spdif. You will have to do some research but it's really easy to set up the audio out to spdif only on MPCHD and if your DVD has 5.1 or 7.1 support it will be detected and decoded.

Otherwise you may end up having to pay for a feature already built in because MS decided to make all the money on the media side this time around. 36$ For one season of TV? WOW! If could afford it I would pay it, but I will stick with general streaming services. Thanks. I mean if I am going to pay 36$ for a season pass to watch one season of a TV series why not just buy the dvd's and lug them around in a big suitcase? I think they need to rethink their pricing model. Their apps and games are priced fairly, but the media price is extremely limiting. I calculated it would cost me over 10,000$ to catch up all the movies and TV I missed last year with their store. Really? I would rather pay for a trip to an Asian island that lets you get high legally the whole time your there, money well spent. :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Ent
    rebranded japan - hp oem
    CPU
    A8-3555MX FS1 socket
    Motherboard
    rebranded japan - hp oem
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sumo UMA
Just wanted to add one more thing so you don't have to go hunting else where.
Uninstall K-Lite and AC3 filter as you don't need them at all. AC3 Filter was designed to decode AC3 streams to multiple analog out or stereo. Your dealing with digital stream out which completely bypasses all the transforms and software demuxing and muxing that occurs internally. It's better to let the processor on your receiver do all the sorting and processing as that is why they made you pay a fortune for it, so you might as well use it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Ent
    rebranded japan - hp oem
    CPU
    A8-3555MX FS1 socket
    Motherboard
    rebranded japan - hp oem
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sumo UMA
Thanks for the assistance. I have now uninstalled K-Lite and AC3 but my problem occurs further up your post in part 3)...

3) Find the SPDIF out playback device that goes to your Samsung receiver. If you have multiple SPDIF out right click on each one and hit "TEST" until you hear it come out of the correct speakers. No right click on the correct SPDIF out and select properties.

It is called:

SAMSUNG
Intel(R) Display Audio

4) In properties check "Sample Rates" and make sure 48khz or above is selected and be aware that selecting a very high rate like 192mhz may not be support by your equipment. My Sony receiver supports only up to 92khz stream but I have the option to select 192khz.

The highest sample rate available is 24 Bit 48000 (Studio quality)

5) In the properties section check the "Ecoded Formats". You should be able to select and test what your receiver can support, test each one and select the ones that work, un-select the ones that do not.

No compressed formats found. >>> I'm guessing this is part of the problem?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Samsung Chronos 7
To help you further I would need to know the exact model number of your lap microwaver.
Such as - NP700Z5C-S03UK , it should be on the bottom....

It looks like they used RealTek audio chips in those boards
In that case here is your sound drivers to restore your dolby digital back

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/DR/201201/20120120103224394/Sound_6.0.1.6428.ZIP

but you will have to give the exact model number so I can see which chipset you have to point you to the correct exact driver files.

Also, here is more reading on the issues with HDMI audio, it might help you understand what is going on behind the scenes.
HDMI Audio: Intel's Biggest Little Secret In Home Theater PCs | Intel® Developer Zone

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Ent
    rebranded japan - hp oem
    CPU
    A8-3555MX FS1 socket
    Motherboard
    rebranded japan - hp oem
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sumo UMA
Ok here is what you do...
disconnect your hdmi cables (i.e. use the laptop screen)

download the following links to an easy to find place
open the folder up and do thi

1) install this first
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/hotfix/catalyst_application_profiles/AMD_Catalyst_12.11_CAP2.exe

2) install this second
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/AMD_Catalyst_12.11_Beta11.exe

--------------
reboot
and after everything loads anf finishes installing, plug in your HDMI cable to your laptop
go into the settings and change the resolutions and how you want the desktop to work (extended or seperate, etc.)
then right click on the speaker icon, select playback devices
1) Run the " Configure Speakers" and be sure and set the right amount you have hooked up to your receiver
After that
3) Right click on AMD HDMI OUTPUT and set your adapter as default

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Ent
    rebranded japan - hp oem
    CPU
    A8-3555MX FS1 socket
    Motherboard
    rebranded japan - hp oem
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sumo UMA
HDMI digital out finally works correctly with these latest drivers, but not perfect.
It makes the digital audio on the HDMI work right but it sacrifices the analog audio, as I get crackles on my analogue audio now.
I am fairy sure this is some kind of HDAUDIO power saving feature where it turns the audio bus off after a few seconds of non-use.
I will post back later on how to fix that. But overall that should fix your problem.
Unless your HDMI chip is actually the INTEL HM65 chip. If it doesn't fix it, let me know and I will post the links to that software.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Ent
    rebranded japan - hp oem
    CPU
    A8-3555MX FS1 socket
    Motherboard
    rebranded japan - hp oem
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sumo UMA
Thanks for your help once again.

I have installed the software specified but I see nowhere to access the settings. I have a feeling mine may be Intel as the 'Sound, video and game controllers' in Device Manager list the following:

Bluetooth Hands-free Audio
Intel(R) Display Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Despite this the screen resolution is fine and the screen fits perfectly following adjustment in Catalyst Control Center.

Onto the sound once again... when I go into 'configure' I am still only given the 'stereo' option.

P.S. I do not have a receiver and have not required one in the past.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Samsung Chronos 7
*sigh* I don't mind helping you but this is what you said in the begining
"I upgraded from W7 to Windows 8 last week and have since watched movies and played music from my laptop via my Samsung LCD TV which is connected by optical cable to my 5.1 Samsung surround sound."

I assumed your samsung 5.1 surround sound is a receiver, otherwise what the h*** is it?
Your giving me only generic descriptions which could be like a million things.
Please see this picture...
hdmi-audio.PNG
Do you notice that I right clicked on the device that I am using in the device manager and went to the "details" and selected "Hardware Ids"
You also notice I have the HDMI set as default device on the playback menu?
Also I opened the properties menu below so you can see the supported sample rates.
--------
The name can say anything and mean anything, a bit like calling a rock a fish.
If I don't know the hardware ID of the device I can't help you find drivers for it.
To add more confusion to it, you have already stated that you use AMD, INTEL, and Realtek, which are 3 different companies and three different drivers.

Sooooooo.... Find the HARDWARE ID of the device that you no longer have 5.1 support for and post it here. Not the name.
If you seriously want the issue fixed your going to have to try harder.
Btw, check the top sticky message in this forum, it has windows 8 drivers for realtek if that is what you have?!?!? but who knows? haha.. :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Ent
    rebranded japan - hp oem
    CPU
    A8-3555MX FS1 socket
    Motherboard
    rebranded japan - hp oem
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sumo UMA
Apologies, I may not be aware of the terminology that you have used but I thought a receiver was a separate device.

To clarify:

TV is Samsung LE37R87BDX/XEU
Surround sound is Samsung HT-TZ315

The surround sound system does not have a hardwar ID on my system as it is not directly connected. As per my original description it is connected to the TV and the TV is connected to my laptop via HDMI.

Below is a screenshot as per yours but I do not have a 'HMI Output' option in Device Manager like your screenshot. See that all three of AMD, INTEL, and Realtek are listed also.

Untitled.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Samsung Chronos 7
Ok, you forgot to give me the hardware ID again.. So this is a shot in the dark again...
You were so close...
All you had to do was go to "Intel Display Audio" in the device manager, right click, select "properties"
then select "details" tab, use the drop down box on the page to select "Hardware IDs".
Highlight the first line and on your keyboard hit CTRL-C
Then goto the message and hit CTRL-V, or right click and hit paste.
That is the hardware ID.
You also never specified whether your OS is x64 or 32bit windows 8.

-Attention!- I am guessing that you are running x64 and your using Intel Audio HDMI
Download the attached zip file, unzip it, and go back to your device manager find the "Intel Display Audio" again.
right click properties, goto driver tab, click on update driver
Select "Browse my computer for the driver" goto the folder where you unzip'd the "displayaudio.zip" file. Tell it to search the folder, it should find it and ask if you want to update, hit yes.
Let it finish reboot, see what happens.

If nothing, then goto Intel.com, goto the drivers download page and type in HD 3000 and download the latest driver pack (the whole thing), check the dates, I think the latest one is from December 2012.
Install it, see what happens.

Attachments

• DisplayAudio.zip
    174.9 KB · Views: 140

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Ent
    rebranded japan - hp oem
    CPU
    A8-3555MX FS1 socket
    Motherboard
    rebranded japan - hp oem
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sumo UMA
The surround sound does work however there is still just the 'stereo' option to choose from in Configuration.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Samsung Chronos 7
That is because you are hooked up to your TV. I have a Bravia Sony and it has bad EDID. It reports itself as capable of only 2 channel stereo. There is a whole mess of forums hidden around explaining how to edit and correct the EDID on the TV so it reports more channels on hdmi.

There is a tool from Entech Taiwan called moninfo which can read what your EDID is telling your computer. You can tell if it's not right or sending the wrong info fairly quickly. Getting it fixed is a lot of research.

What I did was this, I hooked up my HDMI straight to my receiver and the receiver sends a different EDID to windows.
Which sends different information to the sound driver telling it what functions your device has.
So my receiver sends an EDID called "Sony AMP" to my pc via the hdmi with it's specs.
Then I put the HDMI out from my receiver to the TV.
My TV is also a Sony so it supports the audio return channel so I don't have to run another optical cable back to the receiver, lol.

You mentioned that you have an optical cable hooked up to your surround system, and as I recall SPDIF (optical) only supports 2 channel stereo but it supports 5.1 compressed audio (zip'd audio basically, I don't know if its lzo or some kind of zlib compression, but anyway it's copy righted by dolby which is ridiculous to me since it is just common sense to compress audio, it is nothing novel or worthy of a patent).

So your problem is your optical cable only supports 2 channel stereo, try using only hdmi cables, such as HDMI-> surround receiver --> HDMI out to TV. That should give you all your lpcm channels back.

I still have not found a way to fix my EDID on my tv, as Sony advertised that it supports 240hz refresh rate but as you can see in the pictures the EDID reports it only has 60hz. If I could edit that I might be able to fix it.
I gave up on that though, haven't found the right tools yet, they are all in korean, chinese, and thai languages.
EDID-1.PNGEDID-2.PNG

I am hoping Microsoft fixes this and forces MFGS to do this right instead of forcing their customers to learn chinese to fix their problems. *rolls eyes* haha. I also hope Microsoft will fix the USB audio drivers so it finally supports 192khz!!!! That has been a horrible issue forever. UAC2 support or bust!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Ent
    rebranded japan - hp oem
    CPU
    A8-3555MX FS1 socket
    Motherboard
    rebranded japan - hp oem
    Memory
    8gb