Solved Volume control on screen that won't go away

Thecapman

So I recently updated a Lenovo 540b all in one touch screen pc to windows eight. Everything worked perfectly. Today I played some music through the stock music app and this annoying on screen volume control popped up. Since then I have been unable to get rid of it without stopping the audio service. Also since then all of the touch functions are not working. For instance I can no longer swipe from the top to close an application, swipe from the right to switch between apps, and I can swipe to the right but am unable to click on the windows button, I have use the mouse.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64 bit
More information

Does anyone have any ideas what the cause could be? Currently I am trying a refresh of the pc. The refresh did nothing. This volume control bar stay on top of every application, it shows up in the screen lock when the pc is first started, and does not adjust volume. If I turn it down the volume automatically goes back up to 100 percent. Windows service was no help either. I believe this volume bar is affecting touch capability as well. It opened I believe with Xbox music app, I tried removing the app, but that had no effect. The only way i can remove this volume control is to disable all audio. Any ideas or suggestions would so much appreciated. It's was my wife's Christmas present and was working so well. It is killing me that something so brand new could have such a problem, and I can not find anything like it on the Internet. Thank you so much for any help.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64 bit
Here is what I wrote on another forum to help out someone with this problem.

"I have had the same issues. I believe the volume bar is a conflict between hardware sound controls and windows 8 audio drivers. Previously I found the only way to disable the bar was to disable all sound. There was no program or service specific to the bar, disabling all sounds service gets rid of it, but who wants a mute computer? The best solution I have come up with so far is to update sound drivers. For me I went to the Lenovo website because I have a Lenovo 540b all in one touch screen, and I downloaded Realtek high definition audio drivers for windows 8 64 bit. After install I had sound and voila, the bar disappeared. It did come back again a few days later after testing the touch controls for sound. I reinstalled the driver and will simply stay away from any built in sound control, and control the volume through desktop controls. I have spent countless hours with this problem, and I know there is very little information available on the web. Hopefully it will be brought to Microsoft's attention soon. I hope this helps all of you. I know how frustrating this is because it also completely messed up all touch function. If I come across a better fix I will post. But for now I recommend going to your pc manufacturer's website and downloading the appropriate audio driver updates. A refresh or clean windows install will not help. I tried both. I also tried disabling all services not necessary with a selective startup through msconfig as previously mentioned. None were successful. It is definitely a hardware and windows driver incompatibility."

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64 bit
Back