Solved Virus or Windows 8 Problem??

BungleMeThis

Hi all,
Just joined these forums to try to get a handle on what's happening with my desktop.

I installed Windows 8 a few weeks ago and it was running fine for a while. Then about a week ago I came home and my PC had restarted due to some automatic Windows updates. I've now got an almost useless system. The symptoms that I'm seeing include:
- Not all of my startup applications actually start. I'd say it's about half. I double checked in Task Mgr that all are still setup to start.
- The Windows key only brings up the start screen some of the time.
- When the start screen does appear I can't always interact with it. i.e. Clicking or using the arrows does nothing.
- If I am able to click, it's usually only once, maybe twice. e.g. I tried to uninstall a Win8 app by right clicking. After doing this then selecting "Uninstall" I was again unable to click on anything on the screen. This is generally the sort of behavior that I'm seeing.
- Windows Store and other "modern" apps don't seem to respond very well either. I bashed Alt+Tab and Alt+F4 for a long time before Windows Store would finally close.
- Alt+Tab in general does not work very well, but when it does there are usually (always?) three applications running that I don't really expect. Two of them are just unnamed and one looks like it is probably the start screen app (but that's just a guess and I don't want to try my luck right now to check the name for fear I won't finish this post).

If I can get a "non-modern" application to open up, it seems to operate fine as long as I don't try to interact with Windows in any way.
I'm sure there are more random details, but I can't think of them and I don't know that any more without a unifying thought behind them is likely to help anyway.

Has anyone come across issues like this? Could this be a virus (the two unnamed background apps make me worry about this the most)? I can't run Windows Defender due to my start screen woes. Any thoughts on where I can start debugging this or a way to fix it?

Thanks a ton for any thoughts or advice...
-Jon

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Virus or win8?

Isn't that the same thing?

You might need to reinstall - sounds like the updates have made a mess.

No guarantee it won't happen again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP h2207
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050@59Hz
    Hard Drives
    250GB Samsung EVO SATA-3 SSD;
    2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 SATA-2;
    1.5TB Seagate ST3150041AS SATA
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Wired USB
    Mouse
    Wired USB
    Internet Speed
    3GB Up, 30GB Down
    Browser
    SeaMonkey
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender; MBAM Pro
    Other Info
    UEFI/GPT
    PLDS DVD-RW DH16AERSH
Oh dear, this is an update issue I read just recently.

Apparently, it seems some people are finding that the Desktop works fine, but Charms and Start along with the apps are screwing up; after a recent update.

Best suggestion I have is to go the Control Panel--System and Security--Windows Update and then hit View update history. Filter it by date, and uninstall the updates that were just installed in the past couple of days or so.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Best suggestion I have is to go the Control Panel--System and Security--Windows Update and then hit View update history. Filter it by date, and uninstall the updates that were just installed in the past couple of days or so.
Try the new Refresh option.
Thanks for the advice. I appreciated it.
Unfortunately my system was hosed to the point that I could not access these snazzy methods. I wound up throwing my Win7 image back on the machine. Thankfully this happened more on the sooner side than later.
I think I'm going to take the corporate tactic on Win8 and wait until the first service pack is released before I try again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
@ Ztruker:

Try the new Refresh option. It's supposed to replace the operating system while leaving everything else alone.

See here: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2293-refresh-windows-8-a.html

Or here: How to Refresh or Reset Your Windows 8 PC | PCMag.com
Refresh your PC—Attempts to solve system related problems without affecting your files (system is reinstalled). Installed programs will have to be reinstalled except those from the Windows Store. A list of uninstalled programs is provided. Settings will be changed back to defaults. To do a refresh, you will need to have install media.” ”Install media” include an install disc, or course, an ISO, and perhaps a flash drive set up to install.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY Rig; MacBook Pro (MBP)/Parallels/Boot Camp; HP Pavilion dv6500t Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K (sometimes OC'd to 4.8 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on OCZ Revo x2 and
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on Caviar Black SATA 3's
    PSU
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Mouse
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    20 Mbps Download/2+ Mbps Upload
    Other Info
    Pioneer Blu-ray Burner/DVD Burner
had to fix one such lappy recently that did this, made a total mess of the security systems on boot as well, kept giving an error about the secure boot stuff so disable that and you got another fault and it was just rolling problem after problem.

all because of one update.

by the time i could get it to accept a windows 8 disc i'd nearly lost the will to live, such a pain in the ass it was beyond belief.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case