Various BSODs on Windows 8 Pro

djsigma

Banned
Hi,

I'm running Windows 8 Pro and I'm getting various BSODs. Sometimes they will occur when Windows boots. Sometimes they will occur at random. I have all the latest Windows updates installed and I'm using the latest drivers for all of my hardware AFAIK.

My PC was fine up until I did the following: -

1. I was using an external USB sound card (a Traktor Audio 6) and the on-board sound was disabled in the BIOS. I'm getting rid of the USB sound card, so I unplugged it from my system, re-enabled the on-board sound and installed the latest drivers for it from Realtek (R2.70, dated 22nd June 2012).

2. I installed the drivers for a Native Instruments Z2 mixer (link to product, HERE) that's connected to my PC via a USB 3.0 port. This only came out last week, so the current drivers for it are the only ones available.

The first few BSODs I got were all DPC Watchdog Violations. The most recent BSOD was a Quota Underflow. Unfortunately, I inadvertently deleted the dump files for all the BSODs aside from the most recent one which is included in the attached zip file, but I can provide more dump files if and when BSODs occur.

If someone could tell me the name of the file(s) responsible so I can track down the cause, that would be great.

Many thanks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus V Gene
    Memory
    Corsair 4 x 4 GB 1,600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Sound Card
    RME HDSPe AIO
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2713HM
    Screen Resolution
    2,560 x 1,440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB
    Hitachi 7K3000 2 TB
    PSU
    Seasonic X-760
    Case
    Silverstone TJ08-E
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14 Special Edition
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech M570
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps/3 Mbps cable
    Browser
    Opera 12.16
Welcome
You have given use one Mini Dmp (One BSOD report). One report is very rarely sufficient to determine the cause of a BSOD. The next step, at this point, would be to administer a driver verifer to determine which driver is the cause of the problem. You can either take the test or wait for more BSODs (if any) and post, so we can determine if the test is truly appropriate.
Verifying Drivers: Enable or disable the Driver verifier in Windows 8

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 SP1
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    Memory
    6 GB
Thanks for the reply.

I did enable the driver verifier in Windows 8 after making this thread, but after enabling it and rebooting, my PC was painfully slow to use - it was borderline unusable - so I disabled it again. If I get any more BSODs I'll post up the dumps.

That said, could you perhaps have a look at that dump for me please and let me know which file(s) caused that particular BOSD? I'd like to get some idea if it's related to the sound card drivers I installed last night, or the drivers for this new mixer I just bought.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus V Gene
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Sound Card
    RME HDSPe AIO
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2713HM
    Screen Resolution
    2,560 x 1,440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB
    Hitachi 7K3000 2 TB
    PSU
    Seasonic X-760
    Case
    Silverstone TJ08-E
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14 Special Edition
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech M570
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps/3 Mbps cable
    Browser
    Opera 12.16
That is a symptome of the Verifier. It puts stress on the drivers to cause the weak ones to BSOD. Again, at this point its your choice. If we continue to get BSODs, and the results are the same, the test will be necessary. I could show you the report, but the results are meaningless. It gives as a cause tcpip.sys. That is a lead driver from Microsoft. The lead drivers often take the blame for a BSOD, when it is actually one of the drivers that it controls.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 SP1
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    Memory
    6 GB
Thanks again. After a short burst of BSODs last night, it's been stable ever since I started this thread, but if it happens again I'll come back and post up more info.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus V Gene
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Sound Card
    RME HDSPe AIO