User Profiles - Relocate to another Partition or Disk

How to Relocate User Profiles to another Partition or Disk in Windows 8

information   Information
The method described in this tutorial allows relocating user profiles and folders already while installing Windows 8, before any user accounts are created, as well as after installation on an already installed system.

The advantage of this method is that it changes some internal Windows 8 environment variables, being a “Do it once and forget” procedure. Changing the variables takes care of all existing and future user profiles, locating them when created to selected drive or partition. The method is fail proof and reversible.

When Windows 8 is installed, 5 or 6 system folders are created depending on chosen bit-version:
  • PerfLogs (Performance Logs), where Windows stores performance and reliability logs
  • Program Files, where applications and software are installed. Windows x86 (32-bit) stores all applications here, Windows x64 (64-bit) only native 64-bit applications
  • Program Files (x86), exists only in Windows x64. All non-x64 applications are stored here
  • Windows, which contains core operating system files and drivers
  • ProgramData, where some applications store application and user specific settings and configuration files.
  • Users. This is the “home” of all user profiles. When a new user account is created and this new user logs in first time, Windows creates a set of user specific folders (Users\Username)

Microsoft does not recommend relocating, moving ProgramData, Program Files, Program Files (x86) and Windows folders. Too much is depending on information and data stored on these folders. However, there's simply nothing preventing us to move the Users folder. In this tutorial we show how to move (relocate) the Users folder by changing an internal Windows Environment Variable.

Moving Users folder can save a lot of space on system disk. Pictures, mp3’s videos, documents and so on, a user folder with its subfolders can be tens, sometimes hundreds of gigabytes.

Personally, when installing Windows 8 I always use Audit Mode to relocate Users folder, leaving system drive only for Windows and applications.

Note   Note
Screenshots from pre-release version Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Actual Windows 8 has different colors but the functions are the same, tutorial can be used as it is.

warning   Warning

An upgraded Windows cannot be sysprepped. As this method is based in sysprepping, this tutorial is valid only for Windows setups which have not been upgraded.

This means that if you have for instance in-place upgraded Vista or Seven to Eight you cannot sysprep and this tutorial cannot be used in your case. The same applies if you have upgraded Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8 to 8.1.

Notice that a repair install is also an upgrade install, so if you have ever done a repair install (= in-place upgrade to same edition), you cannot sysprep.

When sysprepping an existing Windows setup, it only works if the Windows 8 was installed clean and has never been upgraded or repaired using repair install, or if it is the original pre-installed Windows 8

Although I have repeatedly told that relocating ProgramData will cause Windows Store and Apps as well as PC Settings not to function, people keep doing it using the method described in this tutorial.

DO NOT RELOCATE PROGRAMDATA! YOUR WINDOWS STORE AND APPS WILL NOT WORK IF PROGRAMDATA IS MOVED FROM ITS DEFAULT LOCATION.

1.Audit Mode

1.1. Boot to Audit Mode when installing Windows 8

(If you have already installed Windows 8, continue from step 1.2.)

Start Windows 8 installation normally.

When installation after a reboot or two is completed and Windows 8 comes to Personalize page (see screenshot below) press CTRL + SHIFT + F3 (press and hold down CTRL and SHIFT, press F3 still holding CTRL and SHIFT down, release all three keys).

Win8_RelocateUsers_012.png

DO NOT ENTER PC NAME HERE OR CLICK NEXT! Just press CTRL + SHIFT + F3.

Your computer reboots now. Don’t panic, it’s just doing what it really should do. Windows 8 starts now in so called Audit Mode, using built-in administrator account to let you to modify Windows before any user profiles and user specific folders are created.

Continue from step 2.

1.2. Boot to Audit Mode from existing Windows 8 installation

First you need to open Command Prompt using built-in administrative account: hover pointer over bottom left corner of the desktop, right click to open Start Menu , select Command Prompt (Admin):

Win8_RelocateUsers_005.png Win8_RelocateUsers_006.png

Command Prompt window opens. Type this to command prompt:
Code:
[B]C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\Sysprep.exe /audit /reboot[/B]

Win8_RelocateUsers_015.png

Hit Enter.Windows reboots now to Audit Mode, "thinking" it's been started first time. Text Preparing can be seen on screen.

If you are interested to know more about Audit Mode, here are some links for you to read:

2. Audit Mode

Windows has now booted in Audit Mode using built-in administrator account, and you should see Metro interface. Click Desktop to enter classic Windows desktop:

Win8_RelocateUsers_003.png

To start, click Cancel to close System Preparation Tool:

Win8_RelocateUsers_004.png

If you don’t have a second internal hard disk or you have not created and formatted an extra partition on your system disk, you need first to create one. Notice that the drive or partition don't have to be empty, but especially if relocating on an existing installation it must be big enough to allow Users folder to be moved there. When we sysprep with answer file on next step these two folders are physically moved to new location.

If you already have a formatted second HD or partition, you are ready to go.

2.1. Creating an answer file (script) for System Preparation Tool

Audit Mode lets us to start Windows without creating any user accounts. At the moment we are using the built-in administrator account. Your own accounts are created later.

We are going to use System Preparation Tool (sysprep) to run an XML-script (so called Answer file) which modifies the Windows registry and settings as we want to, relocating Users folder to another partition, E: in this example, by changing a so called Windows Environment Variable. You can of course use any internal drive you want to.

Extensible Markup Language (XML) is a set of rules for encoding documents in machine readable form.
To make changes to Windows registry, we will now create a script in XML and run it with sysprep.

Open Windows Notepad text editor (press Win + R, type Notepad, hit Enter). Type the following script, or copy it from here and paste to Notepad (please do not forget to read the notes below code lines 4, 6 and 11 regarding said lines):

1. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
  2. <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
  3. <settings pass="oobeSystem">
  4. <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm=[noparse]"http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"[/noparse]>
    Note   Note
    (If you are installing Windows x64 (64-bit), value prosessorArchitecture should be amd64​, also on Intel processors. For x86 (32-bit) it should be x86.)

5. <FolderLocations>
  6. <ProfilesDirectory>e:\Users</ProfilesDirectory>
    Note   Note
    In this example the new location of Users would be E:\Users. Change the drive letter according your needs.

7. </FolderLocations>
  8. </component>
  9. </settings>
  10. [noparse]<cpi:eek:fflineImage[/noparse] cpi:source="wim:F:/sources/install.wim#Windows 8" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    Note   Note
    (Change the drive letter in wim:F: to that of your CD/DVD drive, USB stick or virtual drive containing your Windows 8 installation media (DVD/ISO). Notice that installation media has to be available to system when running sysprep. Change Windows version accordingly, Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8.1 or Windows 8.1 Pro.

11. </unattend>
(Please leave the row numbers out when typing or copying the above code. Answer file generated with Windows System Image Manager).

If you are installing Windows 8 PRO x64 from CD/DVD/USB F: and relocating Users to E: you don’t have to change anything, you can use the script as it is.

Select Save As from Notepad’s File menu. Select Save as type: All Files. Name the file as you want, add .xml extension to the filename. Save the script to the root of any drive:

SaveAs.png

Alternatively you can download the answer file here: View attachment relocate.rar

2.2. Using System Preparation Tool

Open the Start Menu (Win + X), select Command Prompt (Admin).

First stop the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service (WMPNetworkSvc) by giving the following command:
Code:
net stop WMPNetworkSvc

When the service has stopped, type the following to the command prompt and press
Enter to move to the right folder:
Code:
cd c:\Windows\System32\Sysprep

Win8_RelocateUsers_007.png

Now type the following and press Enter (notice the name and path of the script we created above, change it if needed. I saved answer file on E so the path is E:\relocate.xml):
Code:
Sysprep.exe /audit /reboot /unattend:E:\relocate.xml

Win8_RelocateUsers_008.png

You should now see System Preparation Tool dialog telling it is working on our script:

Win8_RelocateUsers_010.png

Let it run, don’t touch mouse or keyboard now. When System Preparation Tool is ready, Windows must and will reboot. It reboots back to Audit Mode.

2.3. Exiting Audit Mode

To continue Windows installation we have to exit Audit Mode and reboot. After reboot you’ll land back on Metro interface. Click Desktop to enter classic Windows desktop, click OK on System Preparation Tool dialog to boot normally in OOBE i.e. normal mode.

Before clicking OK, check that System Cleanup Action is set to OOBE, and Shutdown Options set to Reboot:

Win8_RelocateUsers_009.png

3. Finalizing installation

Finalize Windows installation.

If you did this from an existing Windows installation, you will notice that for your Windows this is as if it were the first time Windows was booted i.e you are back on OOBE boot, inserting product key and personalizing Windows. It also means that you have to enter so called initial user. In this case Windows does not accept any of the users created earlier, whether local or Microsoft accounts; instead you need to create a new user.

An example from this PC I am using now: I had already created two users and installed software when I decided to do sysprep to relocate Users. I had a local account for me and an Microsoft account using my email address. After finalizing sysprep, I needed to create a third user Test because system does not let me to use either Kari (local account) or Kari (Microsoft account) usernames because those accounts already existed on this PC.

So I created user Test (local), then from Welcome screen logged in as Kari (Microsoft account) and simply deleted the new Test account which I had just created. An extra step, small annoyance but there's nothing to do to avoid it.

When Windows finally boots first time to Start Screen you will see that Users folder is now located on the new drive or partition with all its subfolders.

When you check your system drive [noparse](C:) still [/noparse]contains Users folder. The old, original Users on C: can contain some Windows Store information that may not be moved, so let the old Users folder stay on C:. It will no longer grow, all new user data will be stored on a new location, but it is essential it remains on C:. You can hide it if you want, you are never again going to need it.

Notice that Users folder is not created on or moved to new location when you return to Audit Mode after running sysprep. Relocation will first happen when you exit Audit Mode and boot to OOBE (Welcome) mode to continue installation. If done on an existing system the first OOBE boot after sysprepping can take quite a long time, depending on how big those folders are that sysprep is physically moving to new location.

Remember also that when you create a new user profile the user folders are not created before the new user logs in first time.

That’s it, folks! Welcome to the Windows 8:

Win8_RelocateUsers_016.png

Win8_RelocateUsers_017.png

Now create a system image and you wont have to ever again remember jumplists and links everytime you restore the system to earlier point or system image. User account folders are now permanently moved to another drive, all new user profiles are automatically created on this new location and your system drive won’t be full so soon.

Thanks for reading.

Written and published on 02[SUP]nd[/SUP] of March 2012
Edited and updated on 6[SUP]th[/SUP] of February 2013
Edited, answer file's validity checked on 14[SUP]th[/SUP] of April 2013
Added instructions for Windows 8.1 Pro preview on 29th of June 2013

Kari

Attachments

• Win8_RelocateUsers_014.png
    Win8_RelocateUsers_014.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,542
  • 2013-06-29_122425.png
    2013-06-29_122425.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 2,069
  • 2013-06-29_122904.png
    2013-06-29_122904.png
    7 KB · Views: 1,856
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kari,
I followed your guide and I successfully moved Users folder to a second disk. Now I have a question. If I do a backup of system partition, and would want to restore it, it will not include Users folders. Is there a way to create an image of Users folder to be used when restoring a system image?
Best regards and my compliments for all your work!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer
    CPU
    Q8220
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce G210
Hi Kari,

New here. I am going to be building a computer soon, and I am researching all I can before I get the parts and set it up to make sure I have a full knowledge of what and what not to do.

I was pointed to this thread from another forum and am very glad I found it!! I have just read all 61 pages of this post and have not come across an answer for myself.

Now to my question.

I want to have an ssd drive for my os and 2 1tb HDD to set up in a raid 0. They will all be brand new drives and a full version of windows 8.1. I will have an external backup drive for my array. I want to follow these steps in this tutorial to move my users folder to my raid drives.

First: Is this going to cause a problem?

Second: I know I will need to have my array ready before I get to the sysprep portion. If you are familiar with it how do i go about doing this? Sorry if i should have posted in a different section, but it kind of is related to me wanting to do this tutorial.

Do I keep my HDD array unplugged through the install process until I get to the sysprep portion (to keep windows from trying to partition any of it) then plug it in?

Like I said I haven't built it yet so this is just more research on my part. I haven't had a computer for 5 years and am really looking forward to this project. It will also be a teaching tool for my 13 year old son. Father, son project. I would really like to hear your thoughts on this.

I will also be upgrading to win 10 when it comes out and have already printed out the tutorial for that one to revert the users back for the upgrade. I have also printed out the instructions for the 8.1 sysprep. Armed and (hopefully) ready.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 full version
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built Intel system
    CPU
    Intel 4790k
    Motherboard
    Asus Z-97 AR
    Memory
    8 (2 x 4) GB Gskill Ares 1600 mghz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Still working out the details
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB. 2 Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDd
    PSU
    EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX
    Case
    Raidmax Vampire full tower (black)
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Can anybody confirm that if your folders are already on the secondary drive that you're redirecting your user folders to, that it just uses the folders that are already there, so the first time that you click on your documents folder you see all of the documents that were already in there?

I'm sure I'm just being paranoid but I'd like to be 100% sure that I won't lose any data.

Thanks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
Hi Kari,
I followed your guide and I successfully moved Users folder to a second disk. Now I have a question. If I do a backup of system partition, and would want to restore it, it will not include Users folders. Is there a way to create an image of Users folder to be used when restoring a system image?

Hi Kari,

New here. I am going to be building a computer soon, and I am researching all I can before I get the parts and set it up to make sure I have a full knowledge of what and what not to do.

I was pointed to this thread from another forum and am very glad I found it!! I have just read all 61 pages of this post and have not come across an answer for myself.

Now to my question.

Can anybody confirm that if your folders are already on the secondary drive that you're redirecting your user folders to, that it just uses the folders that are already there, so the first time that you click on your documents folder you see all of the documents that were already in there?

I'm sure I'm just being paranoid but I'd like to be 100% sure that I won't lose any data.

Thanks!

Hi geeks, welcome to the Eight Forums.

I am sorry I have not noticed your posts earlier and that you have had to wait. Somehow I missed your posts. I will read your posts now and reply as soon as possible.

Kari

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    1.6 GHz Intel Core i7-720QM Processor
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Beats sound system with integrated subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" laptop display, 22" LED and 32" Full HD TV through HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900 (1), 1920*1080 (2&3)
    Hard Drives
    Internal: 2 x 500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm
    External: 2TB for backups, 3TB USB3 network drive for media
    Cooling
    As Envy runs a bit warm, I have it on a Cooler Master pad
    Keyboard
    Logitech diNovo Media Desktop Laser (bluetooth)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1000 Laser (Bluetooth)
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender 4.3.9431.0
    Other Info
    Windows in English, additional user accounts in Finnish, German and Swedish.
Thank you Kari. I've already realized that you take a break every once in a while from this tutorial. I knew eventually you would show up. It's also why I downloaded this forum app to my cell phone, and set it up so I get an email when a response is made to my posts. I am still in research mode, and am very anxious to follow this tutorial when I get my build completed. I am a very patient man. I really appreciate that you are so involved in this tutorial.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 full version
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel 4790k
    Motherboard
    Asus Z-97 AR
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
Hi Kari,
All imaging programs I know let you select which partitions and disks you want to include in your system image, it's that simple. When imaging a system where the Users folder is relocated on drive X: just select it to be included in the image.

Kari

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info

I have not had any RAID systems in I guess it must be 10 years now. Although very subjective opinion, I think RAID is today obsolete, at least I cannot see any logical reasons to use RAID. This is due multiple factors, low price of storage media being one. I like the way this geek explains it, a president of a high end PC maker in his article titled Why RAID is (usually) a Terrible Idea:

The underlying problem with RAID is the fact that by using it, you are making your computer significantly more complicated. Not only are you now relying on two hard drives to work properly, but you are also relying on a much more complicated controller (the RAID controller). If any one of those items has a problem, the array fails. If one hard drive has a problem even for a moment, you have a degraded array on your hands. At that point, you are relying on the RAID controller for error correction and array management, and the fact of the matter is that all (yes, all) RAID controllers onboard a motherboard are low quality. They have been added to the motherboard as an afterthought –- a feature added simply because the manufacturer knows that if they add any feature they can, they're more likely to sell their product. At at a time when nearly every modern motherboard has built in RAID, they have to offer it just to be considered as feature rich as their competitors.

Full article: Why RAID is (usually) a Terrible Idea - Puget Custom Computers

As it is, I have absolutely no idea how sysprepping and customizing a RAID system would work. Theoretically there should be no issues, especially when taking the "cautious" approach: disconnect all other disks except your system SSD, disconnect all other external devices except mouse, display and keyboard and install Windows 8. When you after last reboot arrive to Personalize screen, last step in OOBE before entering your initial first user account, press CTRl + SHIFT + F3 to reboot to Audit Mode. When there, shutdown the computer. Now connect your disks and other devices and start PC again, it will boot back to Audit Mode (every reboot in Audit Mode brings you back to Audit Mode if you have not specifically told Windows to boot to OOBE).

Customize your Windows, sysprep and see what happens :).

Second: I know I will need to have my array ready before I get to the sysprep portion. If you are familiar with it how do i go about doing this? Sorry if i should have posted in a different section, but it kind of is related to me wanting to do this tutorial.

Do I keep my HDD array unplugged through the install process until I get to the sysprep portion (to keep windows from trying to partition any of it) then plug it in?
See my answer above.

Kari

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info

Thanks!
I can absolutely not confirm that! That is so wrong as wrong can be.

Although the new location, the drive you are relocating your Users folder don't have to be empty, it cannot contain any system folders from any previous Windows installation. Using this method you cannot move the C:\Users to an already existing folder and location. This method does not nor can it use your existing folders.

An example. We have a drive X: where we have the Users folder form an old Windows 7 installation. Now we sysprep the new Windows 8 installation telling the system to move the Users folder to drive X:. This would automatically fail and you would have to start from beginning by installing Windows.

The only correct way to do this is to move all old user files and folders from that drive X: to a backup location, then sysprep and move Users folder to drive X:, and finally restore the backed up user files back to X:.

Kari

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info

I have not had any RAID systems in I guess it must be 10 years now. Although very subjective opinion, I think RAID is today obsolete, at least I cannot see any logical reasons to use RAID. This is due multiple factors, low price of storage media being one. I like the way this geek explains it, a president of a high end PC maker in his article titled Why RAID is (usually) a Terrible Idea:

The underlying problem with RAID is the fact that by using it, you are making your computer significantly more complicated. Not only are you now relying on two hard drives to work properly, but you are also relying on a much more complicated controller (the RAID controller). If any one of those items has a problem, the array fails. If one hard drive has a problem even for a moment, you have a degraded array on your hands. At that point, you are relying on the RAID controller for error correction and array management, and the fact of the matter is that all (yes, all) RAID controllers onboard a motherboard are low quality. They have been added to the motherboard as an afterthought –- a feature added simply because the manufacturer knows that if they add any feature they can, they're more likely to sell their product. At at a time when nearly every modern motherboard has built in RAID, they have to offer it just to be considered as feature rich as their competitors.

Full article: Why RAID is (usually) a Terrible Idea - Puget Custom Computers

As it is, I have absolutely no idea how sysprepping and customizing a RAID system would work. Theoretically there should be no issues, especially when taking the "cautious" approach: disconnect all other disks except your system SSD, disconnect all other external devices except mouse, display and keyboard and install Windows 8. When you after last reboot arrive to Personalize screen, last step in OOBE before entering your initial first user account, press CTRl + SHIFT + F3 to reboot to Audit Mode. When there, shutdown the computer. Now connect your disks and other devices and start PC again, it will boot back to Audit Mode (every reboot in Audit Mode brings you back to Audit Mode if you have not specifically told Windows to boot to OOBE).

Customize your Windows, sysprep and see what happens :).

See my answer above.

Kari

Thank you Kari. I appreciate the consideration of time you took to answer my question. In the long run, and after the last few weeks, I have decided against using a raid array. Even if it had been a desire of mine for the last 10 years. I think nostalgia, at least certain forms of it, are best left to memory. Raid is kind if useless in today's world, except maybe as a server application.

Once again I thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Ryan

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 full version
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel 4790k
    Motherboard
    Asus Z-97 AR
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
Hi Kari,

I get this error when running the first command from command prompt:

Code:
C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\Sysprep.exe /audit /reboot

Sysprep was not able to validate your Windows installation. Review the log file at %WINDIR%\System32\Sysprep\Panther\setupact.log for details. After resolving the issue, use Sysprep to validate your installation again.

When I open up the file in the message, it states this:

2015-02-19 11:41:27, Info SYSPRP ========================================================
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Info SYSPRP === Beginning of a new sysprep run ===
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Info SYSPRP ========================================================
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Info [0x0f004d] SYSPRP The time is now 2015-02-19 11:41:27
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Info [0x0f004e] SYSPRP Initialized SysPrep log at C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\Panther
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Info [0x0f0054] SYSPRP ValidateUser:User has required privileges to sysprep machine
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Info [0x0f007e] SYSPRP FCreateTagFile:Tag file C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\Sysprep_succeeded.tag does not already exist, no need to delete anything
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Info [0x0f005f] SYSPRP ParseCommands:Found supported command line option 'AUDIT'
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Info [0x0f005f] SYSPRP ParseCommands:Found supported command line option 'REBOOT'
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Info [0x0f00d7] SYSPRP WinMain:pre-validing 'cleanup' internal providers.
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Info SYSPRP RunExternalDlls:Running platform actions specified in action file for phase 3
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Info [0x0f00ba] SYSPRP SysprepSession::CreateSession: Successfully created instance with mount path C:, action file C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\ActionFiles\Cleanup.xml, and mode <null>
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Info SYSPRP SysprepSession::Validate: Beginning action execution from C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\ActionFiles\Cleanup.xml
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Info SYSPRP ActionPlatform::GetStringValue: Getting REG_SZ value SysprepMode under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Sysprep
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Info SYSPRP ActionPlatform::GetValue: Getting value SysprepMode under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Sysprep
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Warning SYSPRP ActionPlatform::GetValue: Error from RegQueryValueEx on value SysprepMode under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Sysprep; dwRet = 0x2
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Info SYSPRP SysprepSession::CreateXPathForSelection: Sysprep mode in registry is <null>
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Info SYSPRP ActionPlatform::GetStringValue: Getting REG_SZ value PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Info SYSPRP ActionPlatform::GetValue: Getting value PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Info SYSPRP SysprepSession::CreateXPathForSelection: Processor architecture in registry is AMD64
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Info [0x0f0080] SYSPRP ActionPlatform::LaunchModule: Found 'Sysprep_Clean_Validate_Opk' in C:\Windows\System32\spopk.dll; executing it
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Error [0x0f0036] SYSPRP spopk.dll:: Sysprep will not run on an upgraded OS. You can only run Sysprep on a custom (clean) install version of Windows.
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Error [0x0f0082] SYSPRP ActionPlatform::LaunchModule: Failure occurred while executing 'Sysprep_Clean_Validate_Opk' from C:\Windows\System32\spopk.dll; dwRet = 0x139f
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Error SYSPRP SysprepSession::Validate: Error in validating actions from C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\ActionFiles\Cleanup.xml; dwRet = 0x139f
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Error SYSPRP RunPlatformActions:Failed while validating SysprepSession actions; dwRet = 0x139f
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Error [0x0f0070] SYSPRP RunExternalDlls:An error occurred while running registry sysprep DLLs, halting sysprep execution. dwRet = 0x139f
2015-02-19 11:41:27, Error [0x0f00d8] SYSPRP WinMain:Hit failure while pre-validate sysprep cleanup internal providers; hr = 0x8007139f
2015-02-19 11:46:02, Info [0x0f0052] SYSPRP Shutting down SysPrep log
2015-02-19 11:46:02, Info [0x0f004d] SYSPRP The time is now 2015-02-19 11:46:02

I'm assuming this should still work in 8.1?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer
    CPU
    2.90 Ghz
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
    Internet Speed
    Really bad
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malware Bytes Pro/Microsoft Defender
When I open up the file in the message, it states this:

2015-02-19 11:41:27, Error [0x0f0036] SYSPRP spopk.dll:: [hl]Sysprep will not run on an upgraded OS. You can only run Sysprep on a custom (clean) install version of Windows[/hl].

I'm assuming this should still work in 8.1?

The reason for your error highlighted in above quote. This should not be a surprise to you, in the beginning of the tutorial is this big red warning box, already the first sentence of the warning tells the most important:

warning   Warning

[hl]An upgraded Windows cannot be sysprepped[/hl]. As this method is based in sysprepping, this tutorial is valid only for Windows setups which have not been upgraded.

This means that if you have for instance in-place upgraded Vista or Seven to Eight you cannot sysprep and this tutorial cannot be used in your case. The same applies if you have upgraded Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8 to 8.1.

Notice that a repair install is also an upgrade install, so if you have ever done a repair install (= in-place upgrade to same edition), you cannot sysprep.

When sysprepping an existing Windows setup, it only works if the Windows 8 was installed clean and has never been upgraded or repaired using repair install, or if it is the original pre-installed Windows 8

Although I have repeatedly told that relocating ProgramData will cause Windows Store and Apps as well as PC Settings not to function, people keep doing it using the method described in this tutorial.

DO NOT RELOCATE PROGRAMDATA! YOUR WINDOWS STORE AND APPS WILL NOT WORK IF PROGRAMDATA IS MOVED FROM ITS DEFAULT LOCATION.

In my honest opinion, I do not know how could I make that warning more visible and understandable?

I have posted a workaround at our sister site the Ten Forums: Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums. Scroll down to Upgrade, Step 2 to see the registry edits you have to make.

Kari

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Hmm. That is strange, my PC first came with Windows 8 home built in, and then I installed 8 Pro over the top, and completely wiped everything with a fresh install.

Thanks anyway, I'll take a look at the other article.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer
    CPU
    2.90 Ghz
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
    Internet Speed
    Really bad
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I get all the way to the very last step of rebooting and my computer says:

Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the application

What can I do?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer
    CPU
    2.90 Ghz
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
    Internet Speed
    Really bad
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Hmm. That is strange, my PC first came with Windows 8 home built in, and then I installed 8 Pro over the top, and completely wiped everything with a fresh install.

Thanks anyway, I'll take a look at the other article.

As stated in that warning, 8 to 8.1 or 8 Pro to 8.1 is also an upgrade which by default disables Sysprep (quote from the warning):

If your post is accurate, that you clean installed Windows 8 Pro, and if your system specs are accurate, too, stating that you have now Windows 8.1 Pro, you must have upgraded at some point.

Another possibility is that you have done a repair install at some point.

I get all the way to the very last step of rebooting and my computer says:

Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the application

What can I do?

Impossible to tell what the problem is with so little information. Could you at least post the answer file you used here.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Never mind, I managed to restore my Windows using a fresh install.

Basically, I completed all of the steps and my computer rebooted, but every time it turned on I would get this error when Windows was starting:

After pressing Escape, my computer would restart and the same thing would happen again. I managed to eventually go into the BIOS, change the boot order to boot from my Windows 8 disk and did a clean install.

When attempting to us the 'reset' functionality before that, it said my hard drive was locked. I only managed to recover my files by clicking on the install driver option available and copying them to a USB.

I attempted to repair my disk from command prompt using the SHIFT + F8 method and it wouldn't let me do anything with that either, literally all I could do is load the Windows 8 disk or go into the BIOS.

EDIT: The answer file I used was exactly the same as the one in the tutorial apart from the fact that I changed the drive from E to F. I lost the file in the clean install, but that's the only change I made apart from this:

Code:
[FONT=verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="[B]wim:F:/sources/install.wim#[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][B][COLOR=#b22222][FONT=verdana][SIZE=2][B]Windows 8[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][B][FONT=verdana][SIZE=2]" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/B]

Code:
[FONT=verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="[B]wim:D:/sources/install.wim#[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][B][COLOR=#b22222][FONT=verdana][SIZE=2][B]Windows 8.1 Pro[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][B][FONT=verdana][SIZE=2]" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/B]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer
    CPU
    2.90 Ghz
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
    Internet Speed
    Really bad
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Strange. I have never heard of HDD being locked after failed sysprep. I am sorry you had to reinstall, at least you got a fresh Windows.

May I ask which install media you used when sysprepping? I mean, original valid Windows 8 install ISO or DVD from Microsoft, or one from your PC manufacturer?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
No problem, It's lucky that I managed to recover my files but at least it's still a learning curve so it hasn't been for nothing - and you're right, my start-up time is much better (as well as available space) now as I haven't got all the old junk on.

I used the original Windows 8 disk from Microsoft when I was doing it, the exact message I got about the hard drive being locked was:

The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again.

the-drive-where-windows-is-installed-is-locked.jpg

When I searched for this, it seems that this also happened when Windows 8.1 came out and people upgraded, and there appears to be no fix for it other than what I did or creating a new partition and installing from there:

"The drive where Windows is installed is locked.Unlock the drive - Microsoft Community

Another thing to note is that it seemed to wipe all hard drive backups, or maybe it just couldn't read them because it was locked.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer
    CPU
    2.90 Ghz
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
    Internet Speed
    Really bad
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Hi Kari,
All imaging programs I know let you select which partitions and disks you want to include in your system image, it's that simple. When imaging a system where the Users folder is relocated on drive X: just select it to be included in the image.

Kari
Thank you. I will give it a try.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer
    CPU
    Q8220
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce G210
Hi there, i have used this method when i got my SSD but actually Win10 will come, does this method can be keep on WIn10 ?
Because i will manage to upgrade save my key and finally make a fresh installation...

Cheers

My Computer

System One

• OS
Hi there, i have used this method when i got my SSD but actually Win10 will come, does this method can be keep on WIn10 ?
Because i will manage to upgrade save my key and finally make a fresh installation...

Cheers

Hi Lesscro, welcome to the Eight Forums.

Yes, this works just as in Vista, Seven and Eight also in Windows 10. See the tutorial at our sister site the Ten Forums: Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Kari

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Back