User Profiles - Relocate to another Partition or Disk

How to Relocate User Profiles to another Partition or Disk in Windows 8

information   Information
The method described in this tutorial allows relocating user profiles and folders already while installing Windows 8, before any user accounts are created, as well as after installation on an already installed system.

The advantage of this method is that it changes some internal Windows 8 environment variables, being a “Do it once and forget” procedure. Changing the variables takes care of all existing and future user profiles, locating them when created to selected drive or partition. The method is fail proof and reversible.

When Windows 8 is installed, 5 or 6 system folders are created depending on chosen bit-version:
  • PerfLogs (Performance Logs), where Windows stores performance and reliability logs
  • Program Files, where applications and software are installed. Windows x86 (32-bit) stores all applications here, Windows x64 (64-bit) only native 64-bit applications
  • Program Files (x86), exists only in Windows x64. All non-x64 applications are stored here
  • Windows, which contains core operating system files and drivers
  • ProgramData, where some applications store application and user specific settings and configuration files.
  • Users. This is the “home” of all user profiles. When a new user account is created and this new user logs in first time, Windows creates a set of user specific folders (Users\Username)

Microsoft does not recommend relocating, moving ProgramData, Program Files, Program Files (x86) and Windows folders. Too much is depending on information and data stored on these folders. However, there's simply nothing preventing us to move the Users folder. In this tutorial we show how to move (relocate) the Users folder by changing an internal Windows Environment Variable.

Moving Users folder can save a lot of space on system disk. Pictures, mp3’s videos, documents and so on, a user folder with its subfolders can be tens, sometimes hundreds of gigabytes.

Personally, when installing Windows 8 I always use Audit Mode to relocate Users folder, leaving system drive only for Windows and applications.

Note   Note
Screenshots from pre-release version Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Actual Windows 8 has different colors but the functions are the same, tutorial can be used as it is.

warning   Warning

An upgraded Windows cannot be sysprepped. As this method is based in sysprepping, this tutorial is valid only for Windows setups which have not been upgraded.

This means that if you have for instance in-place upgraded Vista or Seven to Eight you cannot sysprep and this tutorial cannot be used in your case. The same applies if you have upgraded Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8 to 8.1.

Notice that a repair install is also an upgrade install, so if you have ever done a repair install (= in-place upgrade to same edition), you cannot sysprep.

When sysprepping an existing Windows setup, it only works if the Windows 8 was installed clean and has never been upgraded or repaired using repair install, or if it is the original pre-installed Windows 8

Although I have repeatedly told that relocating ProgramData will cause Windows Store and Apps as well as PC Settings not to function, people keep doing it using the method described in this tutorial.

DO NOT RELOCATE PROGRAMDATA! YOUR WINDOWS STORE AND APPS WILL NOT WORK IF PROGRAMDATA IS MOVED FROM ITS DEFAULT LOCATION.

1.Audit Mode

1.1. Boot to Audit Mode when installing Windows 8

(If you have already installed Windows 8, continue from step 1.2.)

Start Windows 8 installation normally.

When installation after a reboot or two is completed and Windows 8 comes to Personalize page (see screenshot below) press CTRL + SHIFT + F3 (press and hold down CTRL and SHIFT, press F3 still holding CTRL and SHIFT down, release all three keys).

Win8_RelocateUsers_012.png

DO NOT ENTER PC NAME HERE OR CLICK NEXT! Just press CTRL + SHIFT + F3.

Your computer reboots now. Don’t panic, it’s just doing what it really should do. Windows 8 starts now in so called Audit Mode, using built-in administrator account to let you to modify Windows before any user profiles and user specific folders are created.

Continue from step 2.

1.2. Boot to Audit Mode from existing Windows 8 installation

First you need to open Command Prompt using built-in administrative account: hover pointer over bottom left corner of the desktop, right click to open Start Menu , select Command Prompt (Admin):

Win8_RelocateUsers_005.png Win8_RelocateUsers_006.png

Command Prompt window opens. Type this to command prompt:
Code:
[B]C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\Sysprep.exe /audit /reboot[/B]

Win8_RelocateUsers_015.png

Hit Enter.Windows reboots now to Audit Mode, "thinking" it's been started first time. Text Preparing can be seen on screen.

If you are interested to know more about Audit Mode, here are some links for you to read:

2. Audit Mode

Windows has now booted in Audit Mode using built-in administrator account, and you should see Metro interface. Click Desktop to enter classic Windows desktop:

Win8_RelocateUsers_003.png

To start, click Cancel to close System Preparation Tool:

Win8_RelocateUsers_004.png

If you don’t have a second internal hard disk or you have not created and formatted an extra partition on your system disk, you need first to create one. Notice that the drive or partition don't have to be empty, but especially if relocating on an existing installation it must be big enough to allow Users folder to be moved there. When we sysprep with answer file on next step these two folders are physically moved to new location.

If you already have a formatted second HD or partition, you are ready to go.

2.1. Creating an answer file (script) for System Preparation Tool

Audit Mode lets us to start Windows without creating any user accounts. At the moment we are using the built-in administrator account. Your own accounts are created later.

We are going to use System Preparation Tool (sysprep) to run an XML-script (so called Answer file) which modifies the Windows registry and settings as we want to, relocating Users folder to another partition, E: in this example, by changing a so called Windows Environment Variable. You can of course use any internal drive you want to.

Extensible Markup Language (XML) is a set of rules for encoding documents in machine readable form.
To make changes to Windows registry, we will now create a script in XML and run it with sysprep.

Open Windows Notepad text editor (press Win + R, type Notepad, hit Enter). Type the following script, or copy it from here and paste to Notepad (please do not forget to read the notes below code lines 4, 6 and 11 regarding said lines):

1. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
  2. <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
  3. <settings pass="oobeSystem">
  4. <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm=[noparse]"http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"[/noparse]>
    Note   Note
    (If you are installing Windows x64 (64-bit), value prosessorArchitecture should be amd64​, also on Intel processors. For x86 (32-bit) it should be x86.)

5. <FolderLocations>
  6. <ProfilesDirectory>e:\Users</ProfilesDirectory>
    Note   Note
    In this example the new location of Users would be E:\Users. Change the drive letter according your needs.

7. </FolderLocations>
  8. </component>
  9. </settings>
  10. [noparse]<cpi:eek:fflineImage[/noparse] cpi:source="wim:F:/sources/install.wim#Windows 8" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    Note   Note
    (Change the drive letter in wim:F: to that of your CD/DVD drive, USB stick or virtual drive containing your Windows 8 installation media (DVD/ISO). Notice that installation media has to be available to system when running sysprep. Change Windows version accordingly, Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8.1 or Windows 8.1 Pro.

11. </unattend>
(Please leave the row numbers out when typing or copying the above code. Answer file generated with Windows System Image Manager).

If you are installing Windows 8 PRO x64 from CD/DVD/USB F: and relocating Users to E: you don’t have to change anything, you can use the script as it is.

Select Save As from Notepad’s File menu. Select Save as type: All Files. Name the file as you want, add .xml extension to the filename. Save the script to the root of any drive:

SaveAs.png

Alternatively you can download the answer file here: View attachment relocate.rar

2.2. Using System Preparation Tool

Open the Start Menu (Win + X), select Command Prompt (Admin).

First stop the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service (WMPNetworkSvc) by giving the following command:
Code:
net stop WMPNetworkSvc

When the service has stopped, type the following to the command prompt and press
Enter to move to the right folder:
Code:
cd c:\Windows\System32\Sysprep

Win8_RelocateUsers_007.png

Now type the following and press Enter (notice the name and path of the script we created above, change it if needed. I saved answer file on E so the path is E:\relocate.xml):
Code:
Sysprep.exe /audit /reboot /unattend:E:\relocate.xml

Win8_RelocateUsers_008.png

You should now see System Preparation Tool dialog telling it is working on our script:

Win8_RelocateUsers_010.png

Let it run, don’t touch mouse or keyboard now. When System Preparation Tool is ready, Windows must and will reboot. It reboots back to Audit Mode.

2.3. Exiting Audit Mode

To continue Windows installation we have to exit Audit Mode and reboot. After reboot you’ll land back on Metro interface. Click Desktop to enter classic Windows desktop, click OK on System Preparation Tool dialog to boot normally in OOBE i.e. normal mode.

Before clicking OK, check that System Cleanup Action is set to OOBE, and Shutdown Options set to Reboot:

Win8_RelocateUsers_009.png

3. Finalizing installation

Finalize Windows installation.

If you did this from an existing Windows installation, you will notice that for your Windows this is as if it were the first time Windows was booted i.e you are back on OOBE boot, inserting product key and personalizing Windows. It also means that you have to enter so called initial user. In this case Windows does not accept any of the users created earlier, whether local or Microsoft accounts; instead you need to create a new user.

An example from this PC I am using now: I had already created two users and installed software when I decided to do sysprep to relocate Users. I had a local account for me and an Microsoft account using my email address. After finalizing sysprep, I needed to create a third user Test because system does not let me to use either Kari (local account) or Kari (Microsoft account) usernames because those accounts already existed on this PC.

So I created user Test (local), then from Welcome screen logged in as Kari (Microsoft account) and simply deleted the new Test account which I had just created. An extra step, small annoyance but there's nothing to do to avoid it.

When Windows finally boots first time to Start Screen you will see that Users folder is now located on the new drive or partition with all its subfolders.

When you check your system drive [noparse](C:) still [/noparse]contains Users folder. The old, original Users on C: can contain some Windows Store information that may not be moved, so let the old Users folder stay on C:. It will no longer grow, all new user data will be stored on a new location, but it is essential it remains on C:. You can hide it if you want, you are never again going to need it.

Notice that Users folder is not created on or moved to new location when you return to Audit Mode after running sysprep. Relocation will first happen when you exit Audit Mode and boot to OOBE (Welcome) mode to continue installation. If done on an existing system the first OOBE boot after sysprepping can take quite a long time, depending on how big those folders are that sysprep is physically moving to new location.

Remember also that when you create a new user profile the user folders are not created before the new user logs in first time.

That’s it, folks! Welcome to the Windows 8:

Win8_RelocateUsers_016.png

Win8_RelocateUsers_017.png

Now create a system image and you wont have to ever again remember jumplists and links everytime you restore the system to earlier point or system image. User account folders are now permanently moved to another drive, all new user profiles are automatically created on this new location and your system drive won’t be full so soon.

Thanks for reading.

Written and published on 02[SUP]nd[/SUP] of March 2012
Edited and updated on 6[SUP]th[/SUP] of February 2013
Edited, answer file's validity checked on 14[SUP]th[/SUP] of April 2013
Added instructions for Windows 8.1 Pro preview on 29th of June 2013

Kari

Attachments

• Win8_RelocateUsers_014.png
    Win8_RelocateUsers_014.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,540
  • 2013-06-29_122425.png
    2013-06-29_122425.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 2,069
  • 2013-06-29_122904.png
    2013-06-29_122904.png
    7 KB · Views: 1,855
Last edited by a moderator:
That worked as you said it would but - I am now trying to upgrade to windows 8.1 and I get a message that says "Sorry it looks like this PC can't run Windows 8.1. This might be because the Users or Program Files Folder is being redirected to another partition." (the code is 0xc1900102). I only redirected Users (as you recommended).

Any thought on how I can upgrade to 8.1?
As have been told several times in this thread, you cannot upgrade if some of the system folders (Users in this case) are located outside the system drive.

The question has also been answered several times, for instance in this post: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorial...ate-another-partition-disk-40.html#post328764. (See the bottom half of that post, my answer to member ScottThePilgrim​.)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    1.6 GHz Intel Core i7-720QM Processor
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Beats sound system with integrated subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" laptop display, 22" LED and 32" Full HD TV through HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900 (1), 1920*1080 (2&3)
    Hard Drives
    Internal: 2 x 500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm
    External: 2TB for backups, 3TB USB3 network drive for media
    Cooling
    As Envy runs a bit warm, I have it on a Cooler Master pad
    Keyboard
    Logitech diNovo Media Desktop Laser (bluetooth)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1000 Laser (Bluetooth)
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender 4.3.9431.0
    Other Info
    Windows in English, additional user accounts in Finnish, German and Swedish.
Ok

I wrote anther script to redirect back to c:

I understand that I cannot redirect now that I have upgraded to 8.1

Seems like the "solution" in your tutorial is a bit irrelevant now that Windows doesn't allow this kind of thing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
I wrote anther script to redirect back to c:

I understand that I cannot redirect now that I have upgraded to 8.1

Seems like the "solution" in your tutorial is a bit irrelevant now that Windows doesn't allow this kind of thing.
How does it make this "solution" (wondering those quotation marks you used?) irrelevant? This method works as described for all of those installing either 8 or 8.1 or getting a new computer shipped with 8 or 8.1.

Also, when upgrading 8 to 8.1, if you had bothered to browse this thread a bit more instead of just jumping to the end of it to post your questions and opinions, you would have found this post to explain how to work around the "no sysprepping an upgraded Windows" rule; although answering another question, it tells exactly what to do to make sysprep work on an upgraded Windows 8 & 8.1.

So, I fail to see irrelevancy of this method. It works well and has helped quite a number of users.

Kari

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
I've used this on my windows 7 pc and it work flawlessly but, everything has messed up after I ran a check disk and system restore. Windows gives error stating that it doesnt recognize the users folder plus, startup programs stops working including the explorer.exe. Those errors occurs everytime I login. Does refollowing this procedure will solve the problem? I'm worried that it may overwrite the existing users folder. I do not have any spare drive so I cant backup my files.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 2500k
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z68-M PRO
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb kit
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS HD7850
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG IPS237L
    Hard Drives
    OCZ Vertex 3 64gb
    WD Caviar Blue 1tb
    PSU
    Cooler Master GX550
    Case
    CM Storm Scout 2
    Keyboard
    Razer Lycosa Mirror
    Mouse
    Razer Naga 2013
Are you talking about Windows 7? In that case post your issue in here: User Profiles - Create and Move During Windows 7 Installation - Windows 7 Help Forums

If this process is done properly, both CHKDSK and System restore work without issues. Please post a more detailed problem description either her (Windows 8) or following the link above (Windows 7). You need to tell everything what you have done, any error messages you get and so on.

Kari

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Yep, I'm talking about Windows 7.

I'll repost my issue there along with details.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 2500k
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z68-M PRO
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb kit
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS HD7850
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG IPS237L
    Hard Drives
    OCZ Vertex 3 64gb
    WD Caviar Blue 1tb
    PSU
    Cooler Master GX550
    Case
    CM Storm Scout 2
    Keyboard
    Razer Lycosa Mirror
    Mouse
    Razer Naga 2013
Can be possible to move Program Files and Program Files (x86) changing first the registry keys and then, move with robocopy?

I can't figure out how to move Program Files and Program Files (x86) with this method :-(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro [x64]
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    adolphus
    CPU
    Intel Core2Quad Q6600@2.4GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock P5B-DE
    Memory
    2x 2Gb Kingston DDR2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Sapphire Radeon HD 6850
    Sound Card
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1x HP 2311x | 1x Philips 170S
    Screen Resolution
    1980x1020 | 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    1x Crucial M500 120Gb
    1x WD Blue 500Gb
    1x Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB
    PSU
    Tacens Radix V-750
    Case
    AeroCool VS-3 Gaming
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Seidon 120V
    Keyboard
    SteelSeries 6gv2
    Mouse
    Logitech G300
    Internet Speed
    200Mb/20Mb
    Browser
    Google Chrome [Stable Channel]
    Antivirus
    NOD32 v7
Can be possible to move Program Files and Program Files (x86) changing first the registry keys and then, move with robocopy?

I can't figure out how to move Program Files and Program Files (x86) with this method :-(
Hi Adolphus, welcome to the Eight Forums.

Moving Program Files and Program Files (x86) to another location than system drive is so absolutely, utterly bad idea, however experienced user you might be, that I refuse even to discuss about it. If you want to break your Windows, make it unusable, there's lots of easier methods to do it.

Kari

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Hey Kari, thanks for the welcome :)

I don't believe that moving these two folders break Windows. I mean, If registry has the control over the paths, I don't understand why I'm going to make my Windows unusable.

Anyway, I don't want to have in my ssd another stuff that it'll not be Windows, that's why I want to move these two folders...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro [x64]
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    adolphus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock P5B-DE
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1980x1020 | 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    1x Crucial M500 120Gb
    1x WD Blue 500Gb
    PSU
    Tacens Radix V-750
    Case
    AeroCool VS-3 Gaming
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    SteelSeries 6gv2
    Mouse
    Logitech G300
    Internet Speed
    200Mb/20Mb
    Browser
    Antivirus
    NOD32 v7
You are of course entitled to do whatever you want to with your Windows. However, in Windows 8, the Users folder is the only system folder which can be relocated without issues. That's all I have to say about this subject. Really.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
You are of course entitled to do whatever you want to with your Windows. However, in Windows 8, the Users folder is the only system folder which can be relocated without issues. That's all I have to say about this subject. Really.

I'll take this advice. I'm sure I can do that with Windows 7, but who knows...

Thanks you so much for your help, Kari :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro [x64]
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    adolphus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock P5B-DE
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1980x1020 | 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    1x Crucial M500 120Gb
    1x WD Blue 500Gb
    PSU
    Tacens Radix V-750
    Case
    AeroCool VS-3 Gaming
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    SteelSeries 6gv2
    Mouse
    Logitech G300
    Internet Speed
    200Mb/20Mb
    Browser
    Antivirus
    NOD32 v7
Kari,

Many thanks from this user. Great tutorial.

Don't know whether it was mentioned before. It seems that there is a price to pay for moving users directory to another disk or partition - this breaks system restore functionality, at least it did for me on win8.1. Everything else seems to be working.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Hi Pawel, welcome to the Eight Forums.

Before upgrading or restoring, simply reverse the procedure: relocate Users back to C: using the same answer file with Sysprep, just changing the destination folder from X:\Users (X = whatever drive you selected to put your Users folder) to C:\Users between the <FolderLocations> tags.

An example: relocating Users to X: as told in this tutorial, <FolderLocations> tags look like this:
Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]<FolderLocations>
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]     <ProfilesDirectory>[/FONT][/COLOR][hl][SIZE=4][COLOR=#800000][FONT=verdana][B]X[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/hl][COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]:\Users</ProfilesDirectory>
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]</FolderLocations>[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

And when moving Users back to C: for restore or in-place upgrade:
Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]<FolderLocations>
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]     <ProfilesDirectory>[/FONT][/COLOR][hl][SIZE=4][COLOR=#800000][FONT=verdana][B]C[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/hl][COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]:\Users</ProfilesDirectory>
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]</FolderLocations>[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Kari

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
wow , i see you've got a quick answer.
and it might solve such problems.

Thanks again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Kari,

I installed Windows 8.1 Pro, used your method to "trick" it to allow Sysprep, and moved the Users folder to my HDD following these directions. Everything works with no issues except for the Metro Apps. I've done a lot of other things since relocating the Users folder (i.e. optimize the system for using an SSD, installed drivers, etc.), so I'm not sure if relocating the users folder is to blame.

When I try to install an app using windows store, I get a 0x80070005 error, and all the existing apps hang at their splash screens when I try to open them.

Could this be related to moving the Users folder? If so, is there a way to correct this?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
Hi Shady, welcome to the Eight Forums.

Sysprepping an upgraded Windows is not supported by Microsoft for this exact reason. It might just not work. My recommendation is to move Users back to C: and check if Store Apps work; if yes, then it's better to leave them there, if not then the reason is something else. See my previous post in this thread about moving Users back to C:.

Another option would be a clean install with 8.1 ISO burned to DVD or USB.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
I figured it out:

Any user profiles set up before you relocate the drive are messed up afterwards. You have to use the last user profile that you set up after going through OOBE after sysprepping. The way I read your original write up, it says to delete the profile you set up after sysprepping (i.e. what you refer to as the "Test" profile). It didn't matter what profile I used when I relocated under Windows 8, all the apps still worked, but I guess it does matter for Windows 8.1 Pro.

Thanks for the write-up.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
I followed this tutorial about a month or two ago, but ran into an issue when my computer's "cleanup program" decided it was going to delete a few vital parts of my registry. Now every few boots my USB 3.0 ports stop working and I have to go into windows recovery to fix it. It is extremely aggrovating, so I am wanting to just start with a (sixth) fresh install of Windows 8.1. I do not want to have to recreate my Users directory in my d:\ drive, so is there a way that I can follow your setup guide and keep the same users subfolder? Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-4770k
    Motherboard
    MSI Z87-G45
    Memory
    8GB DDR3-1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GTX-760 GDDR5 4GB
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG Free Edition 2014
I am wanting to just start with a (sixth) fresh install of Windows 8.1. I do not want to have to recreate my Users directory in my d:\ drive, so is there a way that I can follow your setup guide and keep the same users subfolder? Thanks
Sorry but that's not possible. You need to move all your personal user files and folders (for each user, also Public if you have used it) away from D: then delete the whole Users folder. The drive you are using as the new location for Users cannot have any traces of any system folders from any previous installs.

The best is to format the whole D: drive while installing, prior to relocating.

The procedure is simple:
- Copy all user files and folders to an external storage
- Reinstall, enter Audit Mode as told in tutorial
- When in Audit Mode, format D: drive (if not formatted while installing)
- Run sysprep as told in tutorial
- When installation has finished, copy old user data back to D: to respective folders

I followed this tutorial about a month or two ago, but ran into an issue when my computer's "cleanup program" decided it was going to delete a few vital parts of my registry. Now every few boots my USB 3.0 ports stop working and I have to go into windows recovery to fix it.
Please, in the future forget all possible "magical" disk and registry cleaners. They do more harm than good.

Kari

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
I forgot something really essential from the previous post:

In no circumstances do not copy the hidden system folder AppData located in each user profile folder (Users\Your_Username\AppData). It and its subfolders contain installation specific application data which can totally ruin your new install when the new AppData is replaced with the old one.

What this means is do not simply copy everything inside Users folder and back it up to external location, then after new installation copy it back. Instead copy only your own content like Pictures, Documents, Videos, Music and other files and folders you have created.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Back