USB Ports stopped working on Dell Laptop

Autobahn

I have a Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520 laptop.
The drivers most probably need updating even though there is no update when using the Dell Service Tag.
I've now come across the 'Product Support Page' on this forum but I'm not sure what I should download to update the drivers for the usb ports.
Could someone help in telling me the correct drivers to download.

The problem I'm getting is when trying to transfer a folder to an external hard drive explorer.exe will freeze and I have to wait about a minute before it resets itself or I do it manually. It keeps doing this for whichever usb port I use.

I tried a different cable in case it was that that was causing the freeze, but it's still the same.

There are most probably other updates that need doing which are not shown when using the Dell Service Tag but I am worried about creating other problems with my laptop.

Product support for Inspiron 15R SE 7520

Thanks

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 update 1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15R special edition
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast
Are you sure that the problem is exactly with USB driver? If your driver was malfunctioning since you have acquired this laptop, the problem should also occur all the time, not instantly happened as it can be concluded from your info.

Try to remember the details, when exactly USB port began freezing the OS. Also you can look at the Event Viewer: which system or hardware errors occurred recently, look at the warnings too. The reasons may be different, for example, one of the recent Windows updates might be harmful for your configuration. Or you have a hardware problem, driver update cannot fix this.

If you are able to find the exact date of failure, then System restore before that date can fix it, of course if a point still exists.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro; Windows 11 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-12700K (Alder Lake)
    Motherboard
    Asus PRIME Z690-M Plus D4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus GeForce 1050 Ti, 4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philips 235PQ
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 (FHD)
    Hard Drives
    Windows 8.1: Samsung SSD 980 PRO, 500 GB (M.2)
    Windows 11: Samsung SSD 870 EVO, 500 GB (SATA)
    PSU
    Platimax D.F. 1050 W (80 Plus Platinum)
    Browser
    Google Chrome
Thanks for the reply

I'm no expert with computers and I'm not sure if the USB driver is the problem.
I'll have to google 'Event Viewer', but I'll have a look and see what it says.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 update 1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast
I've found the 'Event Viewer' and there is one 'critical' for Kernel-Power (event ID 41).
I don't know what else to look for or where to look if there is a problem with the USB ports.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 update 1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast
Oh, sorry that I haven't explained my suggestions clear enough. Yes, Event Viewer may help to determine the problems with OS because it writes all the errors, warnings and some internal information messages. Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer, or alternatively right-click on the Computer icon on the desktop (This PC), Manage, Event Viewer.
Most important sections are Critical, Error, Warning, but Information is optional. Normally OS should not have first to events every session, only randomly or occasionally, like a problem with network or external drive. You can open every list, like Error, and double-click on each event to see what has happened. Then you can read a code and more detailed description (not always available, but in many cases). In your case, try to find the events related to USB ports, problems with external drive, application hangs etc.

Now about the source of problem. Please try to remember what happened to PC when it began to have systematic problems with external drives. Like a sudden lost of power or lack of battery charge, or the last Windows update, or a new installed program, or a mechanical failure... Look at the System Restore journal: Control Panel > System > System protection > System Restore > Show more restore points. Don't do anything past this point, only look at the dates where the points have been created. Maybe one of them was created before the failure.

Look at the Device Manager: Control Panel > Device Manager. If some devices have a mark like a yellow triangle with exclamation sign, OS has a problem with this device. In your case, pay attention to USB drive-related devices, like USB controllers, Disk drives, Storage controllers, Portable devices. If you don't see any warning sign, then drivers work well, at least from OS point.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-12700K (Alder Lake)
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philips 235PQ
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 (FHD)
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Browser
    Google Chrome
I did install a program called 'Duplicate Cleaner Free' and used it on an external hard drive.
Wonder if that could have caused a problem? It was after using it that I had problems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 update 1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast
Well, if you have a suspect, it's time to get rid of it. BTW, I never used that program, preferring CCleaner. With its huge installation base, any such bug will be known very quickly and becomes fixed soon.

First, I suggest to check the date of installation. Control Panel > Programs and Features > Installed On (look at that program). Alternatively, you can look at the creation date of its directory in Program Files, but this way is less reliable. Now you have two options: uninstall it normally or use System Restore.

Normal uninstallation is preferrable, but you count on correct work of uninstaller which should restore the files and system config exactly as before. Unfortunately, it's not always true, but need to attempt anyway.

If this doesn't solve the problem, use System Restore. However, you should have a good restoration point before that date (look above how to see the list of them). Before starting the restoration, check the dependences: select the date in the list and press "Scan for affected programs". You will see which other programs or updates will be affected (restored to previous state) after system restoration. Memorise that and complete the restoration. If this still doesn't help, need to look for other reasons.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-12700K (Alder Lake)
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philips 235PQ
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 (FHD)
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Browser
    Google Chrome
Back