• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

USB headphones only play system sounds

Hi everyone,

My USB headphones worked perfectly up until last week. The headphones still play the Windows 8 system sounds, but when I try to use them with Youtube or VLC, they don't play any sound. The strange thing is when I go to Playback devices, the headphones are connected and installed as the default device, and they work perfectly if I test them in the playback menu. Headphones also work when I connect them with the 3,5mm cable.

Any one knows what might have caused the problem and mainly how to solve it? Thanks!

Rookie

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

Wullail

Pro User
It could be the volume settings for video/music playback is set to mute and only system sounds are set to the correct level.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Memory
    6 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 1024
    Hard Drives
    12 TB in 6 disks
    PSU
    TX650
    Keyboard
    G15
    Mouse
    Intellimouse 3.0
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbits
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Trend Micro
How do you do that?
I'd like to have it the other way around - the speakers only plays notifications and all music and speech played via headset.
It's my work machine, and I'd like to be notified whether wearing headset or not, but I wouldn't like to disturb my colleagues if I'm watching a video clip or listening to some music.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop