Solved upgrade from vista 32 bit to eight 64 bit

nutria

Hi, I had until today a windows 7 x64 but it was not genuine. Now I want a genuine copy of windows eight, so I restored my pc to the oem windows vista home premium 32 bit that came when I bought it.

I bought the upgrade for 29.99€+15€ for the dvd, and now it is downloading.

but now I wonder, will it install a 32 bit version of Eight? I have 4gb ram so I need the 64 bit version... but it didn't ask me to choose which version I want, neither in the site says anything about the x86 and x64 versions...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    from seven to eight!
Hi I'm wondering a similar thing i.e. trying to find the best way to upgrade from vista 32 bit to win 8 64 bit. You say you bought the dvd but then mention that its "downloading". I thought the dvd would be sent by snail mail, do you have any updates on the process?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Hi, I had until today a windows 7 x64 but it was not genuine. Now I want a genuine copy of windows eight, so I restored my pc to the oem windows vista home premium 32 bit that came when I bought it.

I bought the upgrade for 29.99€+15€ for the dvd, and now it is downloading.

but now I wonder, will it install a 32 bit version of Eight? I have 4gb ram so I need the 64 bit version... but it didn't ask me to choose which version I want, neither in the site says anything about the x86 and x64 versions...

If you need 64-bit, I got Win8 Pro 64-bit by installing Windows 7 64-bit (didn't enter a product key, just left it in 30-day trial mode) and running the Upgrade Assistant. It seems like Microsoft isn't checking product keys for your existing software at the moment.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Professional
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Did it myself!
    CPU
    Intel i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    ASUS Sabertooth P67
    Memory
    G.Skill 16Gb 1600MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x GTX570's SLi
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi USB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2410
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
You say you bought the dvd but then mention that its "downloading". I thought the dvd would be sent by snail mail, do you have any updates on the process?

The upgrade assistant gave me an option to ship me the backup dvd for 14.99 more (so I spent 45 instead of 30)... maybe this is only in europe

From what I understood, the dvd contains both the 64 and 32 bit versions, and the licence is valid for both the architectures...

now I am stuck with this 32 bit version and there is no way to get the 64... I'll have to wait for the dvd to be shipped, or download it from unofficial sources...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    from seven to eight!
I have this confusion too...i'm on windows 7 32 bit home basic and i want the 64 bit win8 pro.
If i use the upgrade assistant i'm not sure if it'll download the 32 or 64 bit version. My processor supports 64 bit architecture as i'm using 64 bit ubuntu on a vm.
But if the assistant downloads the 32 bit version i'll be really really pissed.
I know the assistant does not allow cross architecture upgrades so i'm led to believe it'll download the x86 even though my system supports x64.
So my options now? Confused.
If it downloaded the x64 win8 pro then i'll happily burn the iso to a dvd and do a clean install. If not..i'll have to by the dvd for a higher price.
I'll be glad if someone can verify whatever i just said.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows7, 8 pretty soon
If i use the upgrade assistant i'm not sure if it'll download the 32 or 64 bit version.

I can confirm it will download the 32 bit, done the same with vista.

they say you should first install win7 64 bit (even in trial) and then run the upgrade from that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    from seven to eight!
The ISO should say, x86 or x64

Capture win8-DVD's-00001.PNG

x86=32bit x64=64bit

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
maybe I found a way to download it. In the invoice email there is a link to download win 8. maybe if I run that file (windows8_setup.exe) from a 64 bit environment, it will download the 64bit version!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    from seven to eight!
maybe I found a way to download it. In the invoice email there is a link to download win 8. maybe if I run that file (windows8_setup.exe) from a 64 bit environment, it will download the 64bit version!

That is a .exe huh! Not sure how it works.
Wish they gave an option to choose the .iso and download it directly.
Check what that .exe does n let us know if possible, might be the same as upgrade assistant.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows7, 8 pretty soon
You can make the ISO from exe.

Check this post by BillWindows.

http://www.eightforums.com/installa...-changed-my-mind-want-clean-install-help.html

BillWindows said:
You should have an upgrade file on your desktop, click on that, it asks some questions and one of them is do you want to install later say yes, then another question do you want to create an ISO file just say yes, when it has created the ISO file, right click on it to burn it to a DVD.
Then boot from that to completely wipe your disk and reformat, make sure you have your key for when you start the installation. If you have a Windows Live account use that. Make sure you feel comfortable doing this and have anything you need backed up, this worked for me, I hope it works for you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Done!

Finally, after 48 hours, I managed to install win 8 64 bit starting from a vista 32 bit license!

here is what I did:
- bought win8 pro upgrade from vista x86 oem, with the upgrade assistant
- re-installed win7 x64 (no need to activate it, can use the trial)
- Logged in to https://www.mswos.com/ and downloaded the win8 setup
- let it download Windows and make the iso (the iso will be >3GB, instead of the 32-bit one which 2GB and something)
- burned the iso and installed

- enjoy win8 :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    from seven to eight!
Done!

Finally, after 48 hours, I managed to install win 8 64 bit starting from a vista 32 bit license!

here is what I did:
- bought win8 pro upgrade from vista x86 oem, with the upgrade assistant Got it
- re-installed win7 x64 (no need to activate it, can use the trial) Got it
- Logged in to https://www.mswos.com/ and downloaded the win8 setup Didn't get u, so there is a link in ur mail which allows u to download win8(a setup?) again with no number of downloads limit restrictions, and this download again will be based on the current os architecture it's being downloaded frm? If it's x64 to get x64 win8 and likewise?
- let it download Windows and make the iso (the iso will be >3GB, instead of the 32-bit one which 2GB and something)
- burned the iso and installed

- enjoy win8 :)

Check my Red parts.
Thanks ;)
Btw were u able to activate it with the key which u already had?
That is the imp part.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows7, 8 pretty soon
Hi,

Thanks for all the pointers so far. I've got a laptop with a valid W7 licence that qualifies for the £14.99 upgrade.

My question is: can I install a W7 ISO in trial mode on my other PC with Vista 32 bit, and like mentioned previously, use the code I get from the valid W7 PC to install W8?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo 6420
    Motherboard
    Asus P5N-E SLI
    Memory
    3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 512Mb 4870
    PSU
    Corsair 650 TX
Hi,

Thanks for all the pointers so far. I've got a laptop with a valid W7 licence that qualifies for the £14.99 upgrade.

My question is: can I install a W7 ISO in trial mode on my other PC with Vista 32 bit, and like mentioned previously, use the code I get from the valid W7 PC to install W8?

Microsoft has disabled 30-day trial mode in Win8. You are required to enter your product key as the first step in the installation process.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Professional
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Did it myself!
    CPU
    Intel i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    ASUS Sabertooth P67
    Memory
    G.Skill 16Gb 1600MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x GTX570's SLi
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi USB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2410
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
Hi,

Microsoft has disabled 30-day trial mode in Win8. You are required to enter your product key as the first step in the installation process.

Hi,

What I meant was, as mentioned in Nutria's post above, can I install Windows 7 as a 30-day trial and install the Windows 8 upgrade on top of that?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo 6420
    Motherboard
    Asus P5N-E SLI
    Memory
    3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 512Mb 4870
    PSU
    Corsair 650 TX
Hi,

What I meant was, as mentioned in Nutria's post above, can I install Windows 7 as a 30-day trial and install the Windows 8 upgrade on top of that?

Yes it seems to work according to the op.
If u can find a work/friends pc with x64 windows then use that system and do the purchase of win8 which will result in x64 win8 being downloaded which u can burn onto a dvd and install on your x86 system.
I have not tried this.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows7, 8 pretty soon
Didn't get u, so there is a link in ur mail which allows u to download win8(a setup?) again with no number of downloads limit restrictions, and this download again will be based on the current os architecture it's being downloaded frm? If it's x64 to get x64 win8 and likewise?
:)

the link in my email says to go on that site, if you log in into that site there is a link "click here to download windows" which points here:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=262204

try to go directly at that site, it is a small file called Windows8-Setup.exe (5.2 MB)

if you run that file from a 64-bit OS, it will download the 64 bit windows 8. (and after the download, it gives you the option to install win8 over your current os, or to burn the iso)

you need to insert your serial number before the download to start, and yes the 32-bit key is valid.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    from seven to eight!
the link in my email says to go on that site, if you log in into that site there is a link "click here to download windows" which points here:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=262204

try to go directly at that site, it is a small file called Windows8-Setup.exe (5.2 MB)

if you run that file from a 64-bit OS, it will download the 64 bit windows 8. (and after the download, it gives you the option to install win8 over your current os, or to burn the iso)

you need to insert your serial number before the download to start, and yes the 32-bit key is valid.

Thanks, glad to know that the key worked ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows7, 8 pretty soon
Back