Updating to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8-Drivers question

rickb278

I have just done a clean installation of Windows 8 and then the update to Windows 8.1 from Windows Store.
After Windows 8 clean install..I went to the Dell site and I installed chipsets, and wireless network and nothing else...sound was working as well so I didnt install any Audio drivers. There were no other errors reported in Device Manager that needed sorting out. So those were the only drivers I installed. Then I did all the Windows Updates.
Following that I went to the Windows Store and installed Windows 8.1. Ive just checked in Device Manager and there aren't any errors at all so Im wondering if theres no need to Install any Windows 8.1 drivers apart from obviously I'll update Nvidia Graphics as usual. Am I right in thinking if there are no errors in Device Manager theres no need to update to the Windows 8.1 drivers? I know a lot of people say If it isnt broke dont fix it but I would appreciates peoples thoughts/experience with this.
Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS8500
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    8 meg
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GT640
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    McAfee
I have just done a clean installation of Windows 8 and then the update to Windows 8.1 from Windows Store.
After Windows 8 clean install..I went to the Dell site and I installed chipsets, and wireless network and nothing else...sound was working as well so I didnt install any Audio drivers. There were no other errors reported in Device Manager that needed sorting out. So those were the only drivers I installed. Then I did all the Windows Updates.
Following that I went to the Windows Store and installed Windows 8.1. Ive just checked in Device Manager and there aren't any errors at all so Im wondering if theres no need to Install any Windows 8.1 drivers apart from obviously I'll update Nvidia Graphics as usual. Am I right in thinking if there are no errors in Device Manager theres no need to update to the Windows 8.1 drivers? I know a lot of people say If it isnt broke dont fix it but I would appreciates peoples thoughts/experience with this.
Thanks

Well if everything is working correctly you wouldn't need to update any drivers unless an issue arises. However if you want your computer to run to it full capacity you might want to at least update the Chipset drivers, IME drivers. If your system is UEFI you'll want to install the latest IRST driver. Video and Audio and Wi-Fi Bluetooth if your have it. If your happy with the way your running I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a problems arise.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3610QM / I7-4790K
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes
Now that brings another question to mind.
How does it work with the Intel Chipsets when you've already installed them once? I installed the latest Intel chipsets and HECI drivers (Management Engine Interface) for Windows 8 straight after the clean installation of Windows 8. I also installed Wireless drivers and Nvidia graphics updated drivers. If I installed chipsets again wouldn't that throw out the installation order of the drivers Ive already installed above.
Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question but I know its always chipsets first before anything else..so how does installing another lot of chipsets affect the driver installation order you've already done? I have UEFI on my PC and I know all of those drivers you mention above are listed on the Dell site for my PC but everything seems to be running OK

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS8500
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    8 meg
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GT640
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    McAfee
I don't think you need to reinstall the chipset or other drivers as Win 8/8.1 will install most of what you need, but check the Sound. You may need to install the correct sound driver. If you only show "High Definition Audio Device" that indicates that only the generic, basic function, Windows installed sound driver and not the actual driver for your sound hardware.

Go to the Dell downloads for your specific model and download the correct sound driver (e.g. RealTek, IDT, Conexant, etc).

Do the same check for your Video, if you have HDMI audio. Windows may install the HD Audio Codec for that too. If you have Intel video, then get the correct Intel video driver. If you have AMD Radeon or NVIDIA go to those sites and get the correct driver (chances are what is on the Dell site is older drivers so get them direct from the appropriate vendor).

Other than that, unless some device is not working properly you should be OK.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    i7 6700K
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero
    Memory
    16 Gb G Skill TridentZ DDR4 3400
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel (i7 CPU)
    Sound Card
    RealTek Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    27" Dell SE2717HR
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1080
    Hard Drives
    500GB Samsung 850 SSD, 3TB for backups
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 750 G2
    Case
    BeQuiet Silent Base 600
    Cooling
    Deepcool Captain 120EX
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless
    Internet Speed
    Cable - 100MB Downlink
    Browser
    Edge/Firefox
    Antivirus
    Microsoft
    Other Info
    Sonar Platinum 64 bit recording studio software with MOTU 896Mk3 Hybrid recording interface unit.
My Sound is working fine but youre right its just High Definition Audio Device..I know its Realtek at Dell site. Is there a big difference?
I went to Nvidia for the latest graphics but apart from that that's all Ive updated on Windows 8.1. there are no errors showing in Device Manager

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS8500
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    8 meg
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GT640
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    McAfee
I would get RealTek. It adds more functions and control. You need the System Mixer as the default recording device for many audio applications. I don't think the HD Audio gives you that. RealTek has a nice control panel for setting options, too.

You can probably use the RealTek driver directly from RealTek. They even have a driver that includes Windows 8.1.
www.realtek.com

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    i7 6700K
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero
    Memory
    16 Gb G Skill TridentZ DDR4 3400
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel (i7 CPU)
    Sound Card
    RealTek Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    27" Dell SE2717HR
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1080
    Hard Drives
    500GB Samsung 850 SSD, 3TB for backups
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 750 G2
    Case
    BeQuiet Silent Base 600
    Cooling
    Deepcool Captain 120EX
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless
    Internet Speed
    Cable - 100MB Downlink
    Browser
    Edge/Firefox
    Antivirus
    Microsoft
    Other Info
    Sonar Platinum 64 bit recording studio software with MOTU 896Mk3 Hybrid recording interface unit.
Back