Solved Unallocated space on primary hard drive

Klaydoggy

OK, long story short. I did a clean install to Windows 8 Pro 64. Because of the System Reserved partition, it showed both Win 7 and Win 8 available and would prompt to do a dual boot. I cleaned it up by following the instructions on the below link.Dual Boot - Delete a OS - Windows 7 Forums

It now no longer dual boots, and Windows 8 is fine. The only issue remaining is that my primary drive in drive management still has unallocated space. Disk 0 has 351MB Unallocated space, and 465GB of system boot, page file, etc...

In the instructions, it says to "Right click on the partition that contains the OS you want to delete and Delete Volume. Then right click on the deleted volume and Delete Partition. Now you should have "Freespace" where this partition originally was."

Well, I can't do that. When I right-click on the unallocated space, all I can do is: New Simple Volume, Properties, and Help. Everything else is greyed out. I also can't extend the other partition, the "extend" option is also greyed out.

And, I should probably be asking this on the Win 7 forum and all, but I'm now on Win 8... I'm dumb...

Any ideas how to put that 351MB onto the main partition?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8 Pro 64
I believe that 351MB is still teh System Reserved partition and is still being used, even though you do not dual boot.

See here for how to get rid of it completely if you really want to, though I don't see why it's necessary. 351MB is insignificant with todays hard drive sizes. How to Remove the Windows 7 "System Reserved" Partition

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP h2207
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050@59Hz
    Hard Drives
    250GB Samsung EVO SATA-3 SSD;
    2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 SATA-2;
    1.5TB Seagate ST3150041AS SATA
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Wired USB
    Mouse
    Wired USB
    Internet Speed
    3GB Up, 30GB Down
    Browser
    SeaMonkey
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender; MBAM Pro
    Other Info
    UEFI/GPT
    PLDS DVD-RW DH16AERSH
Thanks for the article. In reading it, I've done all of this up to "If you now wish to resize the Windows 7 partition to use this space, proceed as follows:"

It says to: "
Select the Windows 7 partition and then click the Slide button." Where is the slide button? If I right-click the C drive, I have: Open, Explore, change drive letter and paths, shrink volume, properties, and help. Everything (including Extend Volume) is greyed out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8 Pro 64
Minor update, I was just googling around, and I guess it is important to note that the Unallocated Space partition is to the LEFT of my C drive. Another site I was reading says Windows can't really do anything for me, and I need to use Partition Wizard.

Is this correct? Are there any easy guides on using that program?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8 Pro 64
Minor update, I was just googling around, and I guess it is important to note that the Unallocated Space partition is to the LEFT of my C drive. Another site I was reading says Windows can't really do anything for me, and I need to use Partition Wizard.

I did that, and it was more than simple to use. Problem solved, thanks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8 Pro 64

I did that, and it was more than simple to use. Problem solved, thanks!

I have the same problem, running win 7 and unallocated partition is on the left side of the C partition so the extend option is greyed out. Did you use Partition Wizard Home edition and what steps did you do to solve this?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Hough
Back