Solved Unable to use built-in ASUS recovery partition

I've thought about that, but since they are $50 and I have a perfectly good recovery image sitting right there I really think it would be a waste of money. But, I suppose if I can't get the partition to work I'll have to.

okay so check this out, i had microsoft and ASUS on live chat at same time as one told me to talk to the other, i told them i would have probably be able to resolve this whole problem by purchasing Linux and cabaaaammm they send me the fix program that ASUS had told me they didn't have in the beginning of our conversation....

Chat transcript

Full Name: Kevin
E-mail:
Phone:
Existing Case# or RMA#:
Serial Number or Model Name: Asus v550ca
Product Type: Notebook
Reason for your chat: windows 8
Chat Server Server 2

Tamara M. Thu, 09/10/15 06:26:41 am America/Indianapolis

Hello Kevin , thank you for contacting ASUS support. Please give me a few moments to review your information. I will be with you shortly.

Kevin 06:27:20 am

I have having problems with reinstalling windows 8 to this system

Tamara M. 06:28:02 am

Hi Ken how are you dojng today?

Kevin 06:28:24 am

i have the product key and the oem key, i am online live chat with Microsoft right now and they are telling me you have the installation disk
i'm good

Tamara M. 06:29:51 am

I do apologize, Kevin, we do not have recovery Media for Windows 8.

Kevin 06:30:12 am

OEM is XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-AAOEM
so this computer is useless unless i buy a new version of windows again?

Tamara M. 06:31:26 am

You may also send the unit in for servicing.

Kevin 06:31:44 am

and cost how much?

Tamara M. 06:31:51 am

May I have the following information about your product please? Serial Number: Operating System: Country:

Kevin 06:32:43 am

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Windows 8
United States

Tamara M. 06:33:24 am

Thank you for that information.
When was the unit purchased?

Kevin 06:34:01 am

I'm not sure
most likely the warranty has ended i'm sure
6/4/2013 maybe

Tamara M. 06:34:54 am

Yes, I do see that the unit is ot of warranty.

Kevin 06:35:17 am

so cost is as much as purchasing a new version of Windows

Tamara M. 06:36:32 am

The estimate service cost for this problem is $195.00 (USD). Shipping and labour is included in this cost. Please note that the actual service cost could be higher than calculated. This estimate is an average only. The unit can be sent into ASUS and the problem assessed by our technicians. The examination is at absolutely no cost to you. After our technicians’ assessment, you will be contacted by an ASUS representative regarding the actual cost of the servicing.
Please be advised this is just a flat rate.

Kevin 06:37:21 am

LOL funny, I can get Windows 10 from microsoft cheaper then that, amazing how this works

Tamara M. 06:37:30 am

Kevin, I do apologize our systems are currently undergoing upgrades to serve you better. I am unable to provide you with a case number or a RMA number.
I do apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Did you have any other questions for me today?

Kevin 06:38:10 am

should i purchase Linux from now on?

Tamara M. 06:38:33 am

I am sorry you feel that way, Kevin.
I am a Windows fan.

Kevin 06:39:45 am

after updating to 8.1 and can't go back to 8 cause of virus and have to repurchase version of windows to fix or spend 200 for Asus to fix, i'm not so much a fan anymore of Windows

Tamara M. 06:39:58 am

There is a software that can help with this issue.

Kevin 06:40:51 am

wouldn't have got it with Linux to begin with to have to purchase yet another software, thanks for your help but I should have just listened to my friend about linux in the first place, have a great day

Tamara M. 06:41:00 am

Here's the link: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps/ASUSRecovery_V...
Please copy and paste the link above to download the driver. If you are using Google Chrome browser, the file will be downloaded automatically. If you're using Internet Explorer, you will be prompted to “Open" or "Save" the file, you may save the file to your desktop.
Step 1: Open the file downloaded and look for the “Setup” file, the file type should be an “Application”. Step 2: Double click on the “Setup” file to run the application. Step 3: Once installation has been completed, restart the system.
This is assist in recovery of the recovery partition, so that you are able to Reset the unit.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
okay so check this out, i had microsoft and ASUS on live chat at same time as one told me to talk to the other, i told them i would have probably be able to resolve this whole problem by purchasing Linux and cabaaaammm they send me the fix program that ASUS had told me they didn't have in the beginning of our conversation....

Chat transcript

Full Name: Kevin
E-mail:
Phone:
Existing Case# or RMA#:
Serial Number or Model Name: Asus v550ca
Product Type: Notebook
Reason for your chat: windows 8
Chat Server Server 2

Tamara M. Thu, 09/10/15 06:26:41 am America/Indianapolis

Hello Kevin , thank you for contacting ASUS support. Please give me a few moments to review your information. I will be with you shortly.

Kevin 06:27:20 am

I have having problems with reinstalling windows 8 to this system

Tamara M. 06:28:02 am

Hi Ken how are you dojng today?

Kevin 06:28:24 am

i have the product key and the oem key, i am online live chat with Microsoft right now and they are telling me you have the installation disk
i'm good

Tamara M. 06:29:51 am

I do apologize, Kevin, we do not have recovery Media for Windows 8.

Kevin 06:30:12 am

OEM is XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-AAOEM
so this computer is useless unless i buy a new version of windows again?

Tamara M. 06:31:26 am

You may also send the unit in for servicing.

Kevin 06:31:44 am

and cost how much?

Tamara M. 06:31:51 am

May I have the following information about your product please? Serial Number: Operating System: Country:

Kevin 06:32:43 am

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Windows 8
United States

Tamara M. 06:33:24 am

Thank you for that information.
When was the unit purchased?

Kevin 06:34:01 am

I'm not sure
most likely the warranty has ended i'm sure
6/4/2013 maybe

Tamara M. 06:34:54 am

Yes, I do see that the unit is ot of warranty.

Kevin 06:35:17 am

so cost is as much as purchasing a new version of Windows

Tamara M. 06:36:32 am

The estimate service cost for this problem is $195.00 (USD). Shipping and labour is included in this cost. Please note that the actual service cost could be higher than calculated. This estimate is an average only. The unit can be sent into ASUS and the problem assessed by our technicians. The examination is at absolutely no cost to you. After our technicians’ assessment, you will be contacted by an ASUS representative regarding the actual cost of the servicing.
Please be advised this is just a flat rate.

Kevin 06:37:21 am

LOL funny, I can get Windows 10 from microsoft cheaper then that, amazing how this works

Tamara M. 06:37:30 am

Kevin, I do apologize our systems are currently undergoing upgrades to serve you better. I am unable to provide you with a case number or a RMA number.
I do apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Did you have any other questions for me today?

Kevin 06:38:10 am

should i purchase Linux from now on?

Tamara M. 06:38:33 am

I am sorry you feel that way, Kevin.
I am a Windows fan.

Kevin 06:39:45 am

after updating to 8.1 and can't go back to 8 cause of virus and have to repurchase version of windows to fix or spend 200 for Asus to fix, i'm not so much a fan anymore of Windows

Tamara M. 06:39:58 am

There is a software that can help with this issue.

Kevin 06:40:51 am

wouldn't have got it with Linux to begin with to have to purchase yet another software, thanks for your help but I should have just listened to my friend about linux in the first place, have a great day

Tamara M. 06:41:00 am

Here's the link: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps/ASUSRecovery_V...
Please copy and paste the link above to download the driver. If you are using Google Chrome browser, the file will be downloaded automatically. If you're using Internet Explorer, you will be prompted to “Open" or "Save" the file, you may save the file to your desktop.
Step 1: Open the file downloaded and look for the “Setup” file, the file type should be an “Application”. Step 2: Double click on the “Setup” file to run the application. Step 3: Once installation has been completed, restart the system.
This is assist in recovery of the recovery partition, so that you are able to Reset the unit.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Hello Gentlemen,
New member here, with what is looking like the same problem, or at least derivative of the same problem that you guys have been fixing for 51 pages (on my browser at least) ... Can anyone navigate me to the key points or something? is this shane757575 fix link the big fix that fixes everything? (by the way I believe that Microsoft is somewhat evil... some day Linux will save the world but until then windows is easier to use much of the time unless u r guru linux guy.)
I realize that most of you guys that understand this all are probably bored by now as the thread is over a year old. ... I read about the first 5 pages ( i started with reading the lenovo thread... but later and since I am working with a messed up recovery on ASUS laptop I am now trying to figure out how this thread will work for me... but reading it is not like reading an organized thought... just the opposite... though i do see many signs that success is possible... ANY TIPS ON HOW TO GET TO MY GOAL MORE QUICKLY? WHAT SECTIONS TO READ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows
Recoery Partion in ASUS not working properly

The recovery files are still here (see image below)
It's not properly working for me
recovery partition.png

I did use ASUS recovery tool -->Link (for Windows 8.1)
Got no luck I got this message
img002.JPG

This is what I found in ReAgent.xml file
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>

<WindowsRE version="2.0">
  <WinreBCD id="{a1f5d3b8-65ba-11e5-9525-992d9b137e8c}"/>
  <WinreLocation path="\Recovery\WindowsRE" id="0" offset="400422862848" guid="{89bed6c0-3a90-4fa0-b6a7-913d47f07ebb}"/>
  <ImageLocation path="" id="0" offset="0" guid="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}"/>
  <PBRImageLocation path="" id="0" offset="0" guid="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}" index="0"/>
  <PBRCustomImageLocation path="" id="0" offset="0" guid="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}" index="0"/>
  <InstallState state="1"/>
  <OsInstallAvailable state="0"/>
  <CustomImageAvailable state="0"/>
  <IsAutoRepairOn state="1"/>
  <WinREStaged state="0"/>
  <OperationParam path=""/>
  <OsBuildVersion path="9600.17415.amd64fre.winblue_r4.141028-1500"/>
  <OemTool state="0"/>
  <IsServer state="0"/>
  <DownlevelWinreLocation path="" id="0" offset="0" guid="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}"/>
  <IsWimBoot state="0"/>
  <ScheduledOperation state="4"/>
</WindowsRE>

Does this mean anything to the recovery partition?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    window 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD A20
    Motherboard
    n/a
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Dual
    Browser
    firefox
    Antivirus
    n/a
the RecoveryImage Folder is sitting in the Recycle Bin on partition 8
you need to assign a drive letter and RESTORE those folders...
Then try the ASUS BackTracker tool again..

ASUS USA

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Help for restore my PC

Hi to all, i've a litle porble with my asus S500CA, this is My scenary
the NB shipped out with Win8, update to 8.1, and reupdate to Win10, but I whis to come back to Win8.1, but i cannot do this...the AsusRecovery don't works, also Backtracker, but the F9 works but not recover my NB, same error, all programs say to Me a partition is missing for recovery, restore aborted.

Now my situation is this:

ReAgent.xml
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>

<WindowsRE version="2.0">
<WinreBCD id="{4c7d7770-8f3e-11e2-b282-d830219f0a73}"/>
<WinreLocation path="\Recovery\WindowsRE" id="0" offset="315621376" guid="{dc9eb263-3b9e-41d0-b370-bab1e79722c6}"/>
<ImageLocation path="" id="0" offset="0" guid="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}"/>
<PBRImageLocation path="\RecoveryImage" id="0" offset="478622515200" guid="{dc9eb263-3b9e-41d0-b370-bab1e79722c6}" index="2"/>
<PBRCustomImageLocation path="" id="0" offset="0" guid="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}" index="0"/>
<InstallState state="1"/>
<OsInstallAvailable state="1"/>
<CustomImageAvailable state="0"/>
<IsAutoRepairOn state="1"/>
<WinREStaged state="0"/>
<OperationParam path=" -continue"/>
<OsBuildVersion path="10240.16384.amd64fre.th1.150709-1700"/>
<OemTool state="0"/>
<IsServer state="0"/>
<DownlevelWinreLocation path="\Recovery\WindowsRE" id="0" offset="315621376" guid="{dc9eb263-3b9e-41d0-b370-bab1e79722c6}"/>
<IsWimBoot state="0"/>
<ScheduledOperation state="17"/>
</WindowsRE>

reagentc /info
Informazioni di configurazione per Ambiente ripristino Windows
e la reimpostazione del sistema:

Stato Ambiente ripristino Windows: Enabled
Percorso Ambiente ripristino Windows: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition2\Recovery\WindowsRE
Identificatore dati di configurazione di avvio (BCD): 4c7d7770-8f3e-11e2-b282-d830219f0a73
Percorso immagine di ripristino: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition7\RecoveryImage
Indice immagine di ripristino: 2
Percorso immagine personalizzata:
Indice immagine personalizzata: 0

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Let. Etichetta Fs Tipo Dim. Stato Info
--------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
Volume 0 C OS NTFS Partizione 185 Gb Integro Avvio
Volume 1 D DATA NTFS Partizione 258 Gb Integro
Volume 2 SYSTEM FAT32 Partizione 300 Mb Integro Sistema
Volume 3 Recovery NTFS Partizione 900 Mb Integro Nascosto
Volume 4 NTFS Partizione 450 Mb Integro Nascosto
Volume 5 Restore NTFS Partizione 20 Gb Integro Nascosto

Error from the AsusRecovery 3.001

rec.jpg

Partition Guru Snapshot
pg.jpg

If someone need more info, please ask and will be publish.

Thanks in advance
Anto

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1/Win 10
If you get it to reset it will be back to Factory Windows 8

You seem to have the recovery image registered correctly (partition 7)

But the ASUS program is not finding the image

Try > control panel > recovery > create a recovery drive.. Should give you the option "copy the recovery partition from PC to the recovery drive"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
If you get it to reset it will be back to Factory Windows 8

You seem to have the recovery image registered correctly (partition 7)

But the ASUS program is not finding the image

Try > control panel > recovery > create a recovery drive.. Should give you the option "copy the recovery partition from PC to the recovery drive"

I'm sorry...nothing to do...same error, partition not found for recovery...
Any other suggest?

Anto

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1/Win 10

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8.1
Hello, I am a newbie here.

I have a question on UEFI boot on Asus S56C. My Harddrive crash, and I downloaded the windows 8 install on the USB, and was trying
to reinstall windows. From what I read so far, the UEFI is supposed to supply the Key for the windows, but it did not.

I can still read the recovery partition on the Harddrive, but don't know how to get the key.

Anyway I can retrieve the information or proceeds with the windows reinstall ?

Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
I think I have configured 'reagentc' correctly

Yes.

But if you have an ASUS computer, then you should use the Asus Backtracker utility.

I have been reluctantly looking peaking at this thread for over a month, 51 pages of stuff that looks like I might not get it to work on the severely mal-wared ASUS laptop I need to fix.
Thank you genet for interjecting this comment into the thread and getting me to look at it a little more closely... It looks very promising.. I will report back if this works pointing out details, or with questions if it did not.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows
Locked Recovery files

okay, I managed to dl backtracker and install it on the malwared ASUS laptop, ran it, and it replied that it cant find the recovery environment.

Okay, here is the thing, I probably started this problem because on my firsts attempt to factory reinstall (before backtracker was installed) I killed the process because i wanted to start over and write down all the things it was saying I would have to reinstall.
Then I tried to run it again and got the message that the recovery files were locked.

So the question is what would I do from a command window to unlock those recovery files?

I can give more details in a bit. ie looking at cmd windows

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows
ran list partition and reagentc /info on ASUS 56CA

select disk 0
list partition
type size offset
partition 1 system 300 MB 1024 KB
partition 2 Recovery 600 MB 301 MB
partition 3 Reserved 128 MB 901 MB
partition 4 Primary 185 GB 1029 MB
partition 5 Recovery 450 MB 186 GB
partition 6 Recovery 350 MB 186 GB
partition 7 Primary 258 GB 187 GB
partition 8 Recovery 20 GB 445 GB

exit
reagentc /info

......<windows RE> and system reset configuration
Information:
Windows RE status: Disabled
Windows RE location
Boot Configuration Data <BCD> identifier: e6b63406-aabf-11e3-84b8-86f575da8afc
Recovery Image Location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\hardisk0\partition8\RecoveryImage
Recovery image index: 2
Custom image location:
Custom image index: 0

REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

So I dont understand this info except the RE status Disabled looks wrong to me... how would I change that... IF THAT IS THE PROBLEM?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows
this ASUS 56CA came with windows 8.0 and was later upgraded by my son in law to 8.1...
not sure how all the malware got on it ... suspect torrents.
any options that give me a clean install .. even windows X... anything that works.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows
reagent /enable
reboot
reagent /info

post pic

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Okay I was messing with a program that seemed to have been waiting for a year or more to burn some files to a disk, i deleted them and closed the program... perhaps that was the problem (in my defense i got this computer cold and f**d up a couple months ago.
But apparently your help has fixed something KYHI (what do I do to officially add this to your status?)
However I may be mistakenly thinking that it is fixed now, still not tried recovery yet.

1afterreagentb4reboot
1afterreagentb4reboot.png

then i reboot
2showafterrebootdisablethenenableagain.png

looks wrong so i try again and fix the odd "waiting for burn" message getting on boot.
3after2ndattempt.png

Okay, so i am assuming this is fixed, taking a half hour break or so will try running restore soon.
not sure whether to use, backtracker or boot F9 (or F6 or whatever that was) likely will try backtracker first.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows
the factory recovery image partition is set correctly as 8 in Reagentc

But your PC has been upgraded twice and Reagentc is pointing to the updated OS winre...

Reagentc /setreimage /path \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition2\Recovery\WindowsRE\ /Target C:\Windows

would be the command to set WinRE to the Factory WinRE

You do realize that Resetting or Refreshing the OS will bring you back to the Factory OS

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Reagentc /setreimage /path \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition2\Recovery\WindowsRE\ /Target C:\Windows

so that is going to make recover factory resetting to windows 8.0 right?

I do not know what you mean by it has been updated twice? does that mean it at one time was windows 7?
(actually windows 7 is better in my mind)

However if it is going to windows 8.0, is that not still a free update to windows 8.1? (is there anything 8.x higher than 8.1? is that what you meant by 2 updates?)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows
I do not necessarily need a factory reset to windows 8.0???
I mean, are you implying that if I run the Recovery without first doing the command:
that it will recover to the last highest upgrade that was installed?
I thought that was not possible to do it that way.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows
Back