Solved Unable to use built-in ASUS recovery partition

Just an update. I thank you both for attempted help. I have somehow lost the ability to boot to a usb drive in my bios (so I can't get into a linux bootable usb, this came with no CD rom) and now can only get into safe mode on the PC itself.

At the end of my rope.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
End of my Rope as well.

I thought I was safe in that we use WHS 2011 to backup all our PC's and Laptops, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 so when my daughter screwed her Asus X501A up I thought not a problem I'll recover it from the server but that has failed and I'm like everyone else going round in a circle.

I should add it was an original W8 machine upgraded to W8.1 through the store and no I have not played with the partitions, I have ordered a recovery DVD but would appear as out of stock but I thought I read on here that Asus don't do recovery DVD's is that the case because they advertise them?

I can see the Recovery partitions but despite having Acronis DD 12 and True Image 2014 I cannot get the necessary folders or files off the Laptop.

Plus I've spent today reading the whole thread the Asus tool so hyped does not work I guess when you cannot get into the system.

Guess I'm going to have to use the Partition tool recommended on here to first extract the relevant folder and files to attempt a recovery.

I cannot post screen pictures because the Laptop cannot be logged into as yet so any pointers would be most helpful, why MS and Asus allow this to happen is beyond me.

Right back to re-reading the thread.

Thanks in advance.

Tim.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    Intel
    Motherboard
    Rampage
    Memory
    12GB
Do you still have access to windows?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
I have been up and down this thread for the last week trying to figure it out. I'm trying to format my 8.1 Asus s550c.

I used the siw2 program to get everything on my USB. And then used the GImageX to go back onto C:. Then restarted the computer and it just does an endless loop trying to install windows. It gets to a certain point and encounters an error.I can't even access windows or use reagentc.

Is there away to get back into windows. Or does some one know how I can fix this and maybe even format it.

Thanks

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows
you can download and create windows setup media ( link in sig below)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Hi, KYHI, as I wrote in my first post I cannot access W8.1 on the laptop. At start up I now get trying automatic repair then it goes into Recovery with error code 0xc000000e and 3 option below Press enter to try again, F8 for start-up settings none of them work and press Esc for UEFI Firmware settings. I can easily get into the BIOS with F2 and select a bootable drive via Esc.

No I do have a W8.1 and W7 full version disks which allows me to access the Cmd structure.

What I need though is the Licence key for this Laptop I do have access via WHS 2011 to the C: drive of the machine but I've no idea where to find the W8 licence key on the Asus X501A.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Tim.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Intel
    Motherboard
    Rampage
    Memory
    12GB
Kyhi.....thank you for the link. I'm in the same boat as TPG49 now. ifI do it that you suggest, I too would need the product key, and I don't have access to it as I can't get into windows.

If the is a way to undo SIW2 program stuff that went onto my laptop, I think I might be able to solve this issue.

Unless there is another way to do it

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows
Did these PC's come with windows 8 ?
If so the product key is embedded into the bios firmware..

You have to download the correct version of windows 8.1 there are 3 versions std, pro and single language

Since it appears you are both using a version of winpe with a windows gui to access the pc.. (also link in sig below)

download and put this utility on the usb and run it - there are options to get key from other OS

ProduKey - Recover lost product key (CD-Key) of Windows/MS-Office/SQL Server

file > select source

View attachment 57675

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Genchoas and tpg49,

Would you please do yourselves a favor and start your own thread in this forum.. This is getting to be a long winded thread and is hard to follow.. Don't take it t any offense, it will just make thing easier..

See one thing about forums, is for one this thread is marked solved and for two nobody wants to read 38 pages of BS,, Thus it gets overlooked..

I am somewhat aware of siw2's software and what he tried to have you do by appling the image, just don't know for sure what that ntsetup actually did or how far it went.. As for whs2011 - I am not sure what he included in his tools.. I too, use a recovery tools iso which allows access to the system and disks, without booting into actual windows.. As there is information and file(s) on the disk that we need, in order to provide help.. We in the forum, do not have access, but we need some information, and although both cases sound the same, they may be very different...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Genchoas and tpg49,

Would you please do yourselves a favor and start your own thread in this forum.. This is getting to be a long winded thread and is hard to follow.. Don't take it t any offense, it will just make thing easier..

See one thing about forums, is for one this thread is marked solved and for two nobody wants to read 38 pages of BS,, Thus it gets overlooked..

I am somewhat aware of siw2's software and what he tried to have you do by appling the image, just don't know for sure what that ntsetup actually did or how far it went.. As for whs2011 - I am not sure what he included in his tools.. I too, use a recovery tools iso which allows access to the system and disks, without booting into actual windows.. As there is information and file(s) on the disk that we need, in order to provide help.. We in the forum, do not have access, but we need some information, and although both cases sound the same, they may be very different...

Hi there,

New thread started.

Thanks for your help.

Tim.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Intel
    Motherboard
    Rampage
    Memory
    12GB
Gentlemen,

I would like to thank everyone that has contributed to this thread. However, I too have run into the same issues as OP and then some (restoring issue missing partition, F9 didn't work, windows recovery didn't work). I have the BSOD error ending in 225, I can not acces windows at this point, 32 bit windows 8 pro (8.1 automagically installed itself and jacked up my aesus g75vx), I have win 8 burned to a dvd but gets stuck at 23% and won't install, i have acces to cmd and bios but reagent command does not work in cmd as admin.....really need to fix my rig asap. Can anyone helo me out? All I have is the command line to work with. Please feel free to explain it to me like I'm 5.

Thanks
whitestripes

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8/8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS G75vx
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 670MX
    Screen Resolution
    HD
    Hard Drives
    1TB
Started new thread

Just posted a new thread in regards to my issue. Feel free to check it out and provide guidance or direction. Thank you in advance :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8/8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS G75vx
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 670MX
    Screen Resolution
    HD
    Hard Drives
    1TB
Thanks KYHI

I'll look into that now. Hopefully it's something I can burn to DVD and boot from because I am unable to access windows on my ASUS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8/8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS G75vx
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 670MX
    Screen Resolution
    HD
    Hard Drives
    1TB
Bactracker will not work

Thanks for the direction KYHI, however I can't utilize ASUS Backtracker. Rep'd ya! :thumb:

Respectfully,
whitestripes

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8/8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS G75vx
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 670MX
    Screen Resolution
    HD
    Hard Drives
    1TB
Hello all.. I have the Asus X501A that came with Windows 8 and I upgraded to Windows 8.1 thru the store. I would like to be able to do a clean install of Windows 8 however, my factory reset options no longer work. I am in the same boat as many others that have posted in this thread. Unfortunately, a lot of what is being posted is just over my head. I realize that several workarounds have been posted but I just can't seem to follow along with them. I have attached an image below listing all of the partitions. Can anyone help?

img2.PNG
img1.PNG

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
The only downside of doing a clean install of windows is losing all the oem bloatware the came pre-installed on the pc.. although not really a bad thing..

You may have to download a few oem drivers though...

but between 8 and 8.1 no downside..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory