Solved Unable to use built-in ASUS recovery partition

You will only have one install.wim, so obviously use that.

If it is that big, it may have more than one image, so you will need to check. Use Dismgui to find out.

If there is more than one, then you want the one called push button reset , or similar.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Continue this via pm, I can guide you through .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
hey, i'm back and i'm happy to say the problem is resolved :d

i used your tool and it worked great, until i selected my install.wim file. It said that the file contained multiple recovery images (or something similar) and it gave me the option to choose from a list of about 4 images. I didn't know which one to choose so i decided to come back to the forums to ask. And then i saw the post ariftwister made. Easeus had set the type of my recovery partitions from recovery to oem, and so windows had trouble finding them (since it was looking for a recovery partition).

So i did the following to fix it:
- open cmd
- type diskpart
- type list disk
- select the disk with the recovery partition, using select disk # (mine was select disk 0)
- type list partition
- select the recovery partition, using select partition # (mine was select partition 6). The partition has oem listed as its type.
- then i used set id=27 to set the id to that of recovery, but since my drive was gpt and not mbr, it didn't work.
- so, i did some googling and found that for a gpt disk i had to use set id=de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac
- so i did set id=de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac
- it succeeded, so i again typed list partition and it was now listed as recovery!
- rebooted into the recovery environment, and it detected my restore partition and allowed me to reset.

I couldn't be happier :)
and also thanks to everyone for the help, and even though i didn't fully use your tool siw, i'm sure it can help others a lot, and i really appreciate you making it.

I'm going to restore now, and if it succeeds i'll come back here and mark this thread as solved.

i did the set id.. And re checked the partition list. Its still oem.. Where did i go wrong?
Im using gpt i did set id=de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac still nothing..
Update: Got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :d

yes, that works with me to.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WIN 8.1
Hello all,

It appears I need help as well, I will try and post everything needed but reading through 37 pages of posts I probably forgot something.

I downloaded SIW2's v16 and v19 and it just sits on a purple screen and does nothing that I can see for about 10 minutes, please confirm this is what's supposed to happen. Below is the reagentc /info.
reagentc img.PNG

Next is the Partition Guru screen where I believe my recovery image is.
partition guru.PNG

Next is the diskpart listing for the partition.
diskpart.PNG

I did try the set ID option as listed in the above posts and couldnt figure it out... Sadly I am at a loss and have lost my geek license and need your help.

Edit: I forgot to state that I'm trying to reset to factory settings. I've been battling this pc for a while and just want to get back to that point and backup from that point.

Thanks in Advance

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Can you upload your winre.wim file ( zip it first ) to skydrive\dropbox\similar ? Then I can have a look and see what is going on.

Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
HI there -

I got it from Partition Guru.

Screen from where it came from... uploading now...

winre.PNG

I'll send you a PM about it when done uploading...

Thanks again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
What is on your os partition C ?

Curious to know what is extracted from the wimboot install.wim. You could just dir it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Copying over the install.wim from the partition to my OS C drive. In the meantime, the OS is just basically windows and not much else. This is just a laptop we keep out in the living room for browsing and watching streaming stuff through HDMI.

I'm not sure how to extract the wim file. I havent messed with these before.

As far as the other wim file, let me know when you have it so I can remove it from my dropbox.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Your winre is 64 bit 8.0.

Will have a go at making something useful out of it.

Size : 1,422,858,956 bytes
WIM Bootable : No
Architecture : x64
Hal : <undefined>
Version : 6.2.9200
ServicePack Build : 16384
ServicePack Level : 0
Edition : WindowsPE
Installation : WindowsPE
ProductType : WinNT

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Have I said thanks yet?

Once again I thank you for your time. I have the other wim file pulled over and below is what's in the WIM file.

install_wim.PNG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Yes that doubles as wimboot and recovery image.

You may be able to reset reagent, and run a factory recovery just with a couple of commands.

Unzip this, then rt click and run as admin on the Rockrusher.cmd file

View attachment Rockrusher.zip

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Trying the reboot into recovery. If it works I'll cancel out and come back and copy the rest out of here before going through the whole process...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Well I tried and it looked like it might have actually worked but it didn't. Getting late for the night so I'll get back on the forum tomorrow.

Fyi. It was system refresh that almost worked reinstall said it couldn't find it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
You are going to have to reboot.

Go to control panel > recovery > create a recovery drive..

Boot from the recovery drive and reset pc and reset partitions..

The reason it failed is the resetconfig.xml file does not match your current partition layout

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Sad thing I cant get into windows long enough to do any of what you described above. Windows wont let that run in safe mode.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
SIW2 - I just ran your command again and will try rebooting into Recovery Environment and see if it works. Below is a screencap from redoing the cmd file again.

usingrockcrushercmdfile.PNG

Edit: Did not work :(. Still trying your tool for turning the wim file into something bootable....

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Back