extract like this:

View attachment 35428

you will have this:

View attachment 35424

put your 8.0 winre here:

View attachment 35425

Run as admin on cmd file:

View attachment 35426

It will ask if you want to d/l recuva to be included. Up to you.

It also asks if you want to make an iso. Up to you.

After it has finished ( about 2 mins) you will see a folder called iso.

Copy all the folders from inside that (not the iso folder itself - all the folders from inside it ) onto your fat32 formatted flash drive.

View attachment 35427

Then copy your install.wim, or install.swm files into the sources folder on the flash drive.

That's it.

Boot it up and you will get a menu. To install from .swm files, click the SWMINSTALL button on the menu. Browse to the Install.swm file. You will want to select the image called Push Button Reset or similar, it is probably image 2.

Hi SIW2....
I have this same problem with my Asus x202e. I was hoping to try this process that you've provided, but it seems that the files in the dropbox linked that you've shared is no longer available. Sir, I really need your help and I would appreciate it big time!

Thanks in advance...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Same prob with Asus laptop updated to 8.1. Saltgrass suggested the Win 8.1 update creates a new 450MB recovery partition that should be set instead of the original partition.

I did that (it contained the proper files) but now I get an error Screen "Windows needs to be repaired..." when pressing F9 in boot.

Initial setup:

Code:
DISKPART> list partition
   Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
  -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
  Partition 1    System             100 MB  1024 KB
   Partition 2    Recovery           900 MB   101 MB
   Partition 3    Reserved           128 MB  1001 MB
   Partition 4    Primary            185 GB  1129 MB
   Partition 5    Recovery           450 MB   186 GB
   Partition 6    Primary            258 GB   187 GB
   Partition 7    Recovery            20 GB   445 GB

Code:
C:\Windows\system32>reagentc /info
 Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration Information:
     Windows RE status:         Enabled
     Windows RE location:       [URL="file:///?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition2\Recovery\WindowsRE"]\\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition2\Recovery\WindowsRE[/URL]
     Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: e004e7b7-95b0-11e3-96f1-965f4fe1c318
     Recovery image location:   [URL="file:///?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition7\RecoveryImage"]\\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition7\RecoveryImage[/URL]
     Recovery image index:      2
     Custom image location:
     Custom image index:        0
 REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

Here´s what I did:

1. I asigned letter R to partition 5 with diskpart
2. reagentc /disable - that seemed to delete WindowsRE from 900 MB partition 2
3. reagentc /setreimage /path R:\Recovery\WindowsRE
4. reagentc /enable
5. reagentc /info showed correct settings

Now tried setting the letter with Partition Guru but even if I repeat 3. and 4. (successfully) I end up with:

Code:
C:\Windows\system32>reagentc /info
Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration
Information:
    Windows RE status:         Disabled
    Windows RE location:
    Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: e004e7b7-95b0-11e3-96f1-965f4fe1c318
    Recovery image location:   [URL="file://\\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition7\RecoveryImage"]\\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition7\RecoveryImage[/URL]
    Recovery image index:      2
    Custom image location:
    Custom image index:        0
REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

Attachments

• 450 MB partition files.PNG
    450 MB partition files.PNG
    8.9 KB · Views: 894
  • 900 MB partition files.PNG
    900 MB partition files.PNG
    9.8 KB · Views: 889
  • ReAgent.xml.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Reload.xml.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 103

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS X551CA

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
I did not use Partition Master for any active operations, just listing files. I used Partition Guru for that.

Look, I´m innocent :)

Code:
DISKPART> list partition
  Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
  -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
  Partition 1    System             100 MB  1024 KB
  Partition 2    Recovery           900 MB   101 MB
  Partition 3    Reserved           128 MB  1001 MB
  Partition 4    Primary            185 GB  1129 MB
  Partition 5    Primary            450 MB   186 GB
  Partition 6    Primary            258 GB   187 GB
  Partition 7    Recovery            20 GB   445 GB

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS X551CA
I think you are the first one who even looked in the Additional Recovery Partition on an ASUS machine. Since the Update process does not change the partition used on those machines, hard to say why and what problems it might cause.

The F9 option does not normally work after an Update since the OEM tools are no longer available in the new partition. Plus you seem to be showing the Reagentc listing does not represent your recovery options as being registered correctly.

Most of the ASUS folks have had some success using the BackTracker utility posted on the ASUS website.. It appears to be a direct result of the recovery problems after an 8 to 8.1 update.

Edit: I believe the link takes you to the Backtracker download, but I have not used it. My Asus system worked fine after an 8.1 update and reset back to Windows 8 without problems using the Windows utility.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download Backtracker

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Grown
    CPU
    i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77 -v Pro, Z87-Expert
    Memory
    16 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified (2)
    Hard Drives
    Kingston SSD 240 GB
Thanks, Asus Backtracker helped me to restore factory image.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS X551CA
I suggest you put a sticky to this thread with Asus Backtracker and SIW2's tool tutorial as a alternative.

I spent the whole day plowing through all the solutions.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS X551CA
Hi I am having the same problem. I have tried using system recovery through asus backtracker and got the same error. Do I need to create a factory recovery image and asus drivers to solve this issue? Here is a screenshot of the reagent.

Attachments

• reagent.jpg
    reagent.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 67

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    N56V
    CPU
    i7 - 3630 QM
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 650M
Yes, create a recovery image using the Backtracker. It´ll contain all the drivers and software as in the out-of-the-box system state. Beware that this will erase all your data even on non-system partitions.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS X551CA
Ok, do I have to create an image for the "Backup ASUS Driver/ App" too? Or just the factory recovery image? There is no option to just wipe the OS drive? Thanks for the quick reply.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    N56V
    CPU
    i7 - 3630 QM
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 650M
You don't have to backup drivers. The factory image already includes the factory driver versions. AFAIK the recovery app has no option to just wipe the OS drive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS X551CA
I had this problem I was planning to buy a SSD anyway so installed Win 8.1 core fresh copy used a generic key then used the OEM serial so far so good, Got the original HD still in working order...then created a image after updating and installing programs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 x64
    Motherboard
    Biostar Group N68S3B
    Hard Drives
    500GB Seagate ST350041 , 2tb Western Digital Green
Hey guys, I am having a hard time finding the install.wim on my TX300ca, is there any other way I can get this file or does it have to be from my labtop?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8
any simplier method of this? hahaha am confused.. but ill re-read everything again xD i have the same problem btw..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro
Hey, I'm back and I'm happy to say the problem is resolved :D

I used your tool and it worked great, until I selected my install.wim file. It said that the file contained multiple recovery images (or something similar) and it gave me the option to choose from a list of about 4 images. I didn't know which one to choose so I decided to come back to the forums to ask. And then I saw the post ariftwister made. EaseUS had set the type of my recovery partitions from Recovery to OEM, and so Windows had trouble finding them (since it was looking for a Recovery partition).

So I did the following to fix it:
- Open CMD
- Type diskpart
- Type list disk
- Select the disk with the recovery partition, using select disk # (mine was select disk 0)
- Type list partition
- Select the recovery partition, using select partition # (mine was select partition 6). The partition has OEM listed as its type.
- Then I used set id=27 to set the id to that of Recovery, but since my drive was GPT and not MBR, it didn't work.
- So, I did some Googling and found that for a GPT disk I had to use set id=DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC
- So I did set id=DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC
- It succeeded, so I again typed list partition and it was now listed as Recovery!
- Rebooted into the Recovery Environment, and it detected my Restore partition and allowed me to reset.

I couldn't be happier :)
And also thanks to everyone for the help, and even though I didn't fully use your tool SIW, I'm sure it can help others a lot, and I really appreciate you making it.

I'm going to restore now, and if it succeeds I'll come back here and mark this thread as solved.

i did the set id.. and re checked the partition list. its still OEM.. where did i go wrong?
im using GPT I did set id=DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC still nothing..
update: GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro
View attachment 52345

got this fixed... but still no luck. " some files are missing "still the same problem..

Note: How do you fix the error message: "Could not find the recovery environment", if the ID for the recovery partition type is incorrectly set to OEM? -> link

1.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G580
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3230M
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Browser
    Microsoft Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, standard user account
    Other Info
    UEFI firmware (BIOS) embedded Windows 8 product key.
Back