Unable to do Windows Update

tsw88

OK, hi all, new to the discussion board.
My laptop is Lenovo x250. It shouldn't be a bad one. Intel i5 and 8GB RAM, running on 1TB hard drive (not SSD)

Recent issue - Unable to do Windows Update, I have tried for several times. It just forever "checking for updates" after hours of hours leaving it.
I don't believe that it takes

- Stable high speed broadband connection 100Mbps - Connection is always stable and fast.
- Hard drive is the one I was suspecting , but it's checked with crystaldiskinfo and the SMART is OK

I don't think the CPU or the RAM is failing and I am still using this computer fine

I was not feeling smooth with this computer so I wanted to update the windows. However, just no update could be done.

I have even restore everything with the option provided by Windows, yes, it took a while to reset and everything is reset, but

the problem is not fixed - Still "Checking for Updates" forever....

Does anyone know what's the problem

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo
    CPU
    intel i5
    Motherboard
    I don't know
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel graphics
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
did you install the KB3172614 update?
you will have to manually download KB3172614, install and reboot and then rerun Windows Update

After KB3172614 was installed on my dad's win8.1 laptop, it only took no more than 8 to 10 minutes to show available updates (if the \Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder was completely empty; otherwise it would take between 2 to 5 minutes)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite C55Dt-A5306
    CPU
    AMD Quad-Core A6-5200M Accelerated Processor
    Memory
    4 GB
Hello, I am having the same problem.

Winodws 8.1 on Toshiba C75D-B3700 laptop with 6 moths ago installed SSD and windows restored to that. The update is set to "auto". The Windows update history shows last update on 12/11/2018. I installed a new program and when I try to run it, it gives error "program cannot start because api-win-crt-studio-l1-1-0.dll is missing". The app company told me that "you need to update windows". So when I go to update windows "check now for updates" the running dots keep going for ever.

After checking another post in this forum, I have done the following steps already with no fix yet. Please advise.

Hello, I know this is an old thread but in case some one can help, please.

I ran the Windows troubleshooting "The windows update.diagcab". It supposedly fixed couple of things but still unable to update. I ran it few times and restarted computer, still same. Then I followed some of the steps from other link. The first step: sfc/scannow "found corrupt files but was unable ti fix some". Then I did Dism.exe/online /cleanup-image /restorehealth. Result was Image version 6.3.9600.17031 ==============100.0%======== error 0x80240021. Dism failed. No operation performed. Then I tried to do rename c:\softwareDistribution softwaredistribution.old. It says "access denied"

Please help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
@tsw88 did you get this issue fixed. I just updated to 8.1 and have the same problem. I can't install KB 3172614 mentioned by erpster.

Perform Sfc /scannow, no integrity violations found.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP
    CPU
    i3
    Memory
    6GB
    Antivirus
    none
Consider this closed for my issue. I restored using Macrium and then the system tried installing 8.1 again. It did successfully and the update process was in working order when it finished. Not sure what happen or how 8.0 saw 8.1 update, up until that point this was not an offered update.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP
    CPU
    i3
    Memory
    6GB