• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Unable to connect to own wifi network

Whitlam

Hi
I've searched the web endlessly trying to solve this problem with one of my laptops - without any luck at all. Hoping someone here is able to assist.

My main PC, 2 laptops, an iPhone and an iPad all connect to my home wifi network. All worked perfectly until 3 days ago.

The 2 laptops and my PC all run Windows 8.1 (all updated). 3 days ago my Toshiba Qosmio stopped being able to connect to my home network. All other devices still connect perfectly.

The Qosmio doesn't detect my wifi network. I immediately went to the network adapter's (Qualcomm Atheros) website and downloaded the latest driver. Installed it and for a brief (very brief) time it could once again detect and connect to the network. Last 3 days unable to either detect or connect.

It detects other networks fine, and has no problems connecting to any other network - except mine (doesn't even detect mine anymore). It connects to the iPhone (when used as a hotspot) without any issues.

I've uninstalled and re-installed the new driver, re-booted the wireless router (several times), re-set the router to factory settings, used Windows trouble shooter, checked & deleted the netsh profiles. Re-booted the laptop a dozen + times, disabled (& uninstalled software) for the laptop's Bluetooth.

It simply stopped working.

I've tried everything I can find on the web - without any success at all. I've had the laptop sitting only a few cm from the router.

Not sure where else I can go with this now - it has quite defeated me. If anyone has any suggestions, please help. Getting very, very frustrated.

Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8. 1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model Number
    Toshiba Qosmio X780

Clintlgm

Pro User
Lacombe, Louisiana

how does the LAN work is it connecting? Do you have Reserve IP for each of your devices on your router?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3610QM / I7-4790K
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes

Whitlam

Hi
The LAN works perfectly.

I tried the find new driver, selected the wifi adaptor from the list of devices - it then found the network, when I tried to connect I got the usual "unable to connect to this network" and the network then was no longer detected. Back to square one.
Sat the other Win 8.1 laptop next to it- it connected immediately.

In the end, I reformatted and re-installed Windows 8.1 - it now connects perfectly.
I spent more time trying to fix it than it took to reinstall Windows.
Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8. 1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Qosmio X780

broe23

Retired from the grind
VIP Member
Pro User
Central IL

Go to Desktop Mode, press Window Key & X key. It will bring up a context menu. Choose "Command Prompt (Administrator)". Then enter the following without quotes: "netsh wlan show all". The output from it, you need to paste into a post on here. If you do not know how to copy from a Command window. Just right click on the top bar of the window, choose "Select All", then "Copy". Then paste the output on here.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite C850D-st3nx1
    CPU
    AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon (tm) HD Graphics 1.40 GHZ
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon™ HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    None needed. It is Linux.
    Other Info
    Arris NVG589 Gateway; Router - Cisco RV320; Switch - Netgear GS108 8-Port Switch & Trendnet TEG-S50g 5-Port Switch; Access Points - Engenius ECB350, Trendnet TEW-638APB; NAS - Lenovo ix2-4; Printer - Brother HL-2280DW; Air Print Server - Lantronix XPrintServer

A/V UPS - Tripp-Lite Smart 1500LCD 1500 Va/900 W.