Unable to boot into safe mode

townsbg

~~тσωηsвg~~
I am hoping that someone can help because I have a problem that is preventing me from logging into my server running 2012 r2. After booting into my Linux install (which is on another disk) the clock on my Windows install got set forward about 20 hours. Because of that certain security software that I have installed won't let me log in. I've tried changing the date/time from the BIOS as well as from command prompt and whenever I boot up windows in normal mode the clock keeps getting set in the future. This would be a simple fix if I could boot up into Safe mode but I get the kmode exception_not handled error. All the solutions I've found to fixing that error say to boot into safe mode but I only get that error when trying to boot into safe mode. I can boot up normally just fine. I just can't login.

I tried a repair but I am not familiar with the process in 8.1/2012. There isn't a repair option in the installation disk. I tried the steps here Your PC needs to be repaired: Fix for Windows 8, 8.1 but got an error that no OS was found. I've found plenty on a repair install but you have to be in windows to do that.

As for the clock issue I've had this issue before however in the past all I've had to do is change the date/time in the bios and then get into Windows. However that isn't working this time. Windows is resetting the clock. Any idea why and how to stop that? I tried changing the CMOS battery but that didn't fix it. The battery shouldn't be the problem since this system isn't even a year and a half old. I checked the date/time in Linux and that was right. Changing it in the bios or command line doesn't stay. I'm stuck. I don't want to do a clean install. Is there anything else I can do? How can I fix it so I can boot into safe mode or fix the time clock issue? My specs are listed under my computers.

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Browser
    FF 78 ESR
    Other Info
    Primary computer:
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    8 GB of memory
    1 tb HDD.
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Displays: 1920x1080 &1680x1050

More info on the server: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
  • PC2
    Dell Poweredge T140 Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T 8GB 2666M
Boy! When you have a problem, you really have a GOOD one!
When you boot up, I can only assume that you're booting up to Windows.. Eh?
I had a problem that popped up in my own PC, running Windows 8.1 where my clock kept going back to California time. I live in FL.
Windows had lost all its time zones except Pacific time. Arggg!
I posted about that here on the forum and I was given a little reg script that restored all my Time Zones. Then all I had to do was set the Eastern Time Zone as my default, and my problem was solved. Thank you Brink!
There are programs that won't run right if your real time clock is set incorrectly. You might say, that I learned that the Hard Way. lol

I've love to take a look at your PC, but since you don't say where you are besides the USA, that's probably not possible.
And, you've not been back to this thread since July. So all I can say for now, is "Good Luck".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win-8.1/Pro/64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer X-1200
    CPU
    AMD 2 Core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    Crucial, 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDEA GeForce 9200
    Sound Card
    On Board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" Acer
    Hard Drives
    Sandisk, SSD 500GB
    PSU
    Acer
    Case
    SFF Slimline
    Keyboard
    emachines 101 key
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    5 Meg
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    Using Classic Shell on Win-8.1 /pro/64
Wish I had found you when I struggled with that registry error. I fought with my time zones on my PC for nearly a year and it was always on 8.1 It doesn't help when you're the acting IT for a small family group and all their systems are doing the same thing. My solution (semi solution) was opting for the atomic clock software. This seems to set it to rights, at least for a while, until the problem got "fixed". Seems the boys and girls at Microsoft "fixed" this more than once and each time they did I had to recalibrate my atomic clock.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 10, Linux Mint and more
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD 3800X, Intel 6900K
    Motherboard
    X99 E-WS USB 3.1, CROSSHAIR HERO VIII
    Memory
    128 GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR, 32 GB TEAM GROUP T FORCE
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 1070, SAPPHIRE RX 590 NITRO+
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAMSUNG 32"
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    :::GRINS::: SERIOUSLY?
    PSU
    CORSAIR 1000 W PLATINUM
    Case
    THERMAL TAKE / AZZA
    Cooling
    NOCTUA / CM
    Keyboard
    LOGITECH PRODIGY
    Mouse
    LOGITECH
    Internet Speed
    1 GBs
    Browser
    FIREFOX
    Antivirus
    KASPERSKY
    Other Info
    PC builder. Own a dozen PCs / built hundreds. All of us have a lot to learn. Some of us stand to learn more than others and those who think they know the most generally know the least. I'm here to learn and pass on what little I know.
Back