Unable to access internet after installing Windows 8

Did you already reinstalled the driver as i asked you before. from the Acer site windows 10 drivers

Yes - I installed this a few times, but it doesn't seem to fix the problem, for some reason I'm still left with the same two errors:
  • PCI Data Acquisition and Signal Processing Controller
  • PCI Data Acquisition and Signal Processing Controller

Downloaded the driver from the Intel link you gave, still the same problem. I also looked at every option available in device manager and found nothing related to a touchpad at all (that I could see). I also looked for Elan and Synaptics but couldn't find those words either. When searching I couldn't find them either.

When I look in Control Panel -> Mouse -> Drivers I can only see one for "HID-compliant mouse", nothing at all for the touchpad- as if there isn't one there.

Also If you ever venture into really seeing what you did have before, You can always consider using a program like Macruim Reflect Free to take a "backup image" of your whole computer right now (in windows 8) and then save that to a USB or DVD or External Hard drive, and then actually do aFactory Restore From Acerutility back to "terrible, spying, horrid" windows 10 and then run these programs and it will tell you exactly what you have driver-wise..

That sounds extremely useful - I should have maybe thought to do something like this anyway when I formatted it. In truth, it was so long ago since I formatted a C drive and I do it so infrequently that I had forgotten the disk does it by itself and searched, found that I can do it manually from the disk and never thought twice that Windows would do it by itself. I've done it before from the exact same disk, but it was just a while ago.

Really, I'd say it was down to partly a lack of thinking that got me here, I should really have taken note of the drivers, but I was in a perfect world where it would work straight away - Ha!

Lastly, would you like me to post my firewall log of windows 8 and what it's trying to send out ? you may be interested in what windows 8 is trying to constantly connect to and send out from your computer as soon as you plug it in to the "internet".. hehe..

That would be interesting, please if you don't mind. I assume you have 8.1?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer
    CPU
    2.90 Ghz
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
    Internet Speed
    Really bad
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malware Bytes Pro/Microsoft Defender
So you still don't have your drivers installed?? See what I'm saying..

I thought those left over drivers were Intel management crap? haha

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo g750
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Some Chinese Crap..
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 755
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Yeah - I don't think I'm going to be able to get the touchpad working then ....

Also though - any idea what I can do about this popup that keeps appearing on my screen? It comes on every few hours and it's exceptionally annoying. If I'm in a full-screen application, it will minimise until the popup has finished or I get rid of it, I'm lost as to what to do to sort it out ....

Attachments

• cmd.png
    cmd.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 65

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer
    CPU
    2.90 Ghz
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
    Internet Speed
    Really bad
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self build
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz
    Motherboard
    Asrock P55 Pro
    Memory
    DDR3 Team--Elite-1333 8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9 280x
    Sound Card
    Realtek Alc 855
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer V233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1020
    Hard Drives
    Samsung evo 850 SSd
    Seagate ST 320 gb
    Samsung HD 750 gb
    Seagate ST 3000gb
    PSU
    OCZ Stealth 600 watt
    Case
    Antec 300
    Mouse
    Speedlink Ledos and Nexus
Well I tried to install both the touchpad drivers you gave on page 2, restarted my computer and nothing changed. All I can say is - at least the original problem is solved. It's certainly a shame - but at least I'm not the only one.

The only problem now is the CMD window that keeps appearing every few hours.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer
    CPU
    2.90 Ghz
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
    Internet Speed
    Really bad
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
The only problem now is the CMD window that keeps appearing every few hours.

Findstr is a dos command to search text strings in files and also used in batchfiles.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Findstr
See: DOS Command Index

I searched and looked for a "command or action" how to stop findstr but i could not find it.

Did you run a batchscript or ? on your computer what could triggered this.

Did you uninstall the packard bell\updater etc program which the system cannot find.
What if you reinstall that program again so that the findstr can find it.
And if the cmd message don't put up again uninstall it again if you don not need it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self build
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asrock P55 Pro
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9 280x
    Sound Card
    Realtek Alc 855
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer V233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1020
    Hard Drives
    Samsung evo 850 SSd
    Seagate ST 320 gb
    Samsung HD 750 gb
    Seagate ST 3000gb
    PSU
    OCZ Stealth 600 watt
    Case
    Antec 300
    Mouse
Sorry to intrude, but

1. you have an ACER computer that is supposed to have pre-installed windows 10..

2. you then apparently formatted and reinstalled windows 8 correct?

3. then you started installing drivers...

4. how the hell did packardbell updater come into this scenario? (assumed Acer used "Acer" software to update)

(though Packrdbell may be a part of Acer or, Acer a part of Packardbell..)

5. I guess you are going through this, all because you don't want windows 10..

6. I'm hoping for the best for you!

7. God luck!

packed.JPG

packerad.JPG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo g750
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Some Chinese Crap..
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 755
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
So basically .... it's a load of rubbish that I don't need. No idea at all how this got on.

Did you uninstall the packard bell\updater etc program which the system cannot find.

I can't find this at all in the Control Panel.

I've checked the program files folders that brooksndun gave above, and neither even exist. Found nothing in program data or program files (x86) either. I ran a registry scan in CCleaner and removed a few registry keys, but none were relevant. I also searched the registry for 'packard' and found an HP registry key - for some reason. I tried to delete it and couldn't. Any ideas where else I could look?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer
    CPU
    2.90 Ghz
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
    Internet Speed
    Really bad
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
It seems that Acer has taken over Packard Bell see Acer Group

Did you use any softwaresuite of the Acer website to check your system like Acer care center or updatesuite or ???.
It could be that this software was originel from Packard Bell and so these files came on your system and as you said in the Registery.

If you used a program maybe you could reinstall it and follow the procedure as i earlier suggested.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self build
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asrock P55 Pro
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9 280x
    Sound Card
    Realtek Alc 855
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer V233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1020
    Hard Drives
    Samsung evo 850 SSd
    Seagate ST 320 gb
    Samsung HD 750 gb
    Seagate ST 3000gb
    PSU
    OCZ Stealth 600 watt
    Case
    Antec 300
    Mouse
I found a folder called CareCenter from C:/oem, which appears to be the problem as I found a load of debug logs from every time approximately it appears on the screen. I found the folder, it's called DriverSetupUtility, it might be from when I auto-detected the product, who knows. I certainly didn't intentionally install this on my machine. It was under Program Files/DriverSetupUtility - I looked for both acer and Packard Bell - there was an Acer folder in program data though.

This is the batch file, it matches what I'm getting in my screen:

Code:
@ECHO OFF
setlocal enableextensions enabledelayedexpansion
GOTO CHECKACER
:CHECKACER
ECHO Checkacer >> FpCheckLog.txt
for /f "delims=:" %%n in ('findstr /n /c:"<isFubdlrDone>" "c:\ProgramData\acer\updater2\updater2.xml"') do SET /a "location=%%n-1"
for /f "tokens=*" %%l in ('type "c:\ProgramData\acer\updater2\updater2.xml" ^| more +%location%') do SET "var=%%l" & GOTO COMPAREACER
:CHECKPB
ECHO Checkpb >> FpCheckLog.txt
for /f "delims=:" %%n in ('findstr /n /c:"<isFubdlrDone>" "c:\ProgramData\packard bell\updater2\updater2.xml"') do SET /a "location=%%n-1"
for /f "tokens=*" %%l in ('type "c:\ProgramData\packard bell\updater2\updater2.xml" ^| more +%location%') do SET "var=%%l" & GOTO COMPAREPB
:CHECKGW
ECHO Checkgw >> FpCheckLog.txt
for /f "delims=:" %%n in ('findstr /n /c:"<isFubdlrDone>" "c:\ProgramData\gateway\updater2\updater2.xml"') do SET /a "location=%%n-1"
for /f "tokens=*" %%l in ('type "c:\ProgramData\gateway\updater2\updater2.xml" ^| more +%location%') do SET "var=%%l" & GOTO COMPAREGW
:CHECKFD
ECHO Checkfd >> FpCheckLog.txt
for /f "delims=:" %%n in ('findstr /n /c:"<isFubdlrDone>" "c:\ProgramData\founder\updater2\updater2.xml"') do SET /a "location=%%n-1"
for /f "tokens=*" %%l in ('type "c:\ProgramData\founder\updater2\updater2.xml" ^| more +%location%') do SET "var=%%l" & GOTO COMPAREFD
:CHECKEND
ECHO CheckEnd >> FpCheckLog.txt
SET UPDATEDIR=%~dp0
CHDIR %UPDATEDIR%
Start /WAIT /B LiveUpdateChecker.exe -auto
GOTO END
:COMPAREACER
ECHO CompareAcer >> FpCheckLog.txt
::ECHO !var! >> FpCheckLog.txt
IF "!var!" == "<isFubdlrDone>True</isFubdlrDone>" (GOTO DELETETASK) ELSE (GOTO CHECKPB)
:COMPAREPB
ECHO ComparePB >> FpCheckLog.txt
IF "!var!" == "<isFubdlrDone>True</isFubdlrDone>" (GOTO DELETETASK) ELSE (GOTO CHECKGW)
:COMPAREGW
ECHO CompareGW >> FpCheckLog.txt
IF "!var!" == "<isFubdlrDone>True</isFubdlrDone>" (GOTO DELETETASK) ELSE (GOTO CHECKFD)
:COMPAREFD
ECHO CompareFW >> FpCheckLog.txt
IF "!var!" == "<isFubdlrDone>True</isFubdlrDone>" (GOTO DELETETASK) ELSE (GOTO CHECKEND)

:DELETETASK
ECHO Deletetask >> FpCheckLog.txt
Start /WAIT /B SchTasks /Delete /TN ACC /F
GOTO END
:END
ECHO End >> FpCheckLog.txt
EXIT /B

Removed this from the control panel, let's see how it goes .....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer
    CPU
    2.90 Ghz
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
    Internet Speed
    Really bad
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I don't mean to be such a party pooper downer but it's like your going through all this just to use windows 8 ...

And the funniest thing is that in the end, Microsoft keeps trying to force windows 8 to "automatically" free upgrade to windows 10.. (By using windows updates - automatic updates )

And one random day, you will sit down and turn on your Acer computer that you spent weeks trying to find drivers, fix, and customize...

Only to see Windows 10 as you turn on the computer...

Ha..

But God speed my friend..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo g750
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Some Chinese Crap..
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 755
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
And the funniest thing is that in the end, Microsoft keeps trying to force windows 8 to "automatically" free upgrade to windows 10.. (By using windows updates - automatic updates )

That's why I outsmarted them - and disabled ALL update availability on my machine ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer
    CPU
    2.90 Ghz
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
    Internet Speed
    Really bad
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Okay, two more noticeable problems. First of all, often randomly, my screen will freeze for a second, and then recover. A few seconds later from the taskbar I'll get a balloon notification saying that the display driver stopped responding and recovered.

All attempts to get to the source of the problem have failed, and when I do click on the notification I only get taken to the 'Notification area icons' window leaving me clueless each time.

Next, with wireless. Occasionally, my connection will just drop. There will be a yellow icon over the network icon in the taskbar saying "No internet access". I'm still connected to the router though, but can't access the internet. If I turn wireless off and on again, all the networks disappear and I have to restart my machine to get back on the internet wirelessly again. No correlation that I can see, but both are quite irritating.

Any ideas what I can do to track either down?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer
    CPU
    2.90 Ghz
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
    Internet Speed
    Really bad
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I really do wish you could solve this.. It's been 3 weeks since you forced installed over windows 10..

Random freezes are normal with older harddrives that are spinning disks.. which I'm sure you have,but are not that common.. getting notifications that video has stopped and started is a major issue.. nobody should be getting those errors and notifications..

AGAIN, you mention you disabled updates, but you know what's funny? Windows Update could actually find the correct and latest drivers for you if you let it check.. You just need to make sure every little check mark that is checked, is what you want.. "important" and "optional" tabs need to be looked at after you check for updates..

Again, you didn't mention these two problems after you apparently got everything fixed.. so they just started now? and what did you just install or do recently that could be the reasons this started now?

is the laptop getting to hot, are you playing games? watching movies? did you install some ridiculous booster programs to try to get more performance?

again.. you need better tech help, but looks as if nobody else is going to tell you more, probably because you decided to force windows 8 on a windows 10 machine and then can't find drivers.. ** so it's just a crap-shoot as if it works or not and you are using a Company that like many other companies, forces you to use their way... (Acer) I actually have an ACER desktop computer I got from Walmart or something for $300.. it runs.. it's fine.. it's for my parents to use.. it has had no problems.. but you know what's funny? maybe those probably will arise when I install windows 10 on it.. Haven't done that yet..

but look, you are again getting to that point where you should make a macrium reflect backup of your entire system..

then you should probably do the complete correct fresh install of windows 8 if that is what you really want. I think I remember you saying you just reinstalled windows 8 over windows 10 and there was the windows.old and etc..

It's not fun but it's not difficult either to install windows the correct fresh way...

but essentially it's getting ridiculous that after 3 weeks you still can't connect to the internet, and even more serious, getting notifications that your video driver stopped working!
You need to find out if you are installed in UEFI mode.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2299-clean-install-windows-8-a.html

upgradefresh.JPG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo g750
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Some Chinese Crap..
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 755
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
This is the error attached to the message. The video driver problem has been happening all along, it's just got more common in the last week or so. I thought before it was a case of installing drivers which was why I never mentioned it.

The wireless problem only started in the last few weeks. It doesn't happen loads, but it is irritating and confusing. Laptop is not hot at all, I'm browsing the internet, sometimes playing Medieval 2 Total War, sometimes in Notepad++ - generally, day-to-day use. There aren't a lot of things open (I make sure of that - I'm pretty pedantic about optimisation) so that's part of the reason why I can't understand it.

I've just looked in the Intel logs directory and found some logs, I'll post the names here- not sure if any are useful or not. I opened them up but personally from what I could tell (which is probably limited) they seem to be off installing the drivers.

IntelAMT.log (51 KB)

IntelCPHS.log (0 KB)

IntelGFX.log (33 KB)

IntelGFXCoin.log (6 KB)

It would be interesting to know if there are problems if you install Windows 10 on it, but ... some of my friends who have Windows 10 - even with perfect specs - have problems with drivers and compatibility.

I took a look at the link you provided and I don't think I did install in UEFI mode. I don't recognise the steps provided there.

Attachments

• driver.png
    driver.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 64

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer
    CPU
    2.90 Ghz
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
    Internet Speed
    Really bad
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
You have an issue.. that is not normal..

How often do your friends run into "display driver stopped responding and recovered?"

you either have "

1. a Great New Virus that says that to get you to click on it for the virus to do what it needs to do..

or

2. a serious hardware/software DRIVER problem..

you can choose which one you have..

the solutions unfortunately are to either

1. CORRECTLY install windows via UEFI mode if your bios has that, and also do the steps correctly to install fresh windows!.. like download the ISO From windows media creator tool etc..

or

2. continue trying to fix your ridiculous joke of a system that you can't use by continuing to look for logs and drivers..

you choose..

now, if you do reinstall and you do it the correct way, and you still get this.. then it's time to put the normal way your computer was meant to be run back.. (windows 10 and whatever originally came with your computer when you bought it!)

meanwhile, you can make a macrium backup of your system the way it is exactly right now for free and put it back if you ever want to after in the future..

You'll notice nobody else seems to even answer anymore because it's a ridiculous problem..

nobody's video card resets and flashes and tells them it's recovered.. unless the card itself is not sitting correctly in the slot on the motherboard or ... ?? yeah.. who the hell knows.. faulty chinese components that you overheated playing Total War with 1000's of units ??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo g750
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Some Chinese Crap..