U.S. consumers hesitant to make switch to Windows 8

Most Windows users in the U.S. know about Windows 8 but few have immediate plans to upgrade to Microsoft's newest operating system.What's more, about one-third of Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP users who are ready to buy a new personal computer say they intend to switch to an Apple product.
Those are the findings of an unusually broad survey of Windows PC users conducted by antivirus company Avast and released exclusively to USA TODAY.
The survey results underscore lukewarm response to Windows 8, which introduces a radical new PC user interface involving use of a touch screen in addition to a keyboard and mouse.

Rest of story here:

We should all send an email to Microsoft to name COKE Microsoft Ambassador and MS should give him a Surface-Pro and a Phone

They should supply him with anything he wants. He is probably selling WIN8 better than MS themselves.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
We should all send an email to Microsoft to name COKE Microsoft Ambassador and MS should give him a Surface-Pro and a Phone

I rise my hat COKE, you never drop it, I enjoy every one of your posts, even if I don't think the same

Thanks! The same to you good sir! :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

They should supply him with anything he wants. He is probably selling WIN8 better than MS themselves.

I can sure as hell sell a Windows Phone better than Microsoft too. This is fact.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
The best thing MS did with Windows phone was get Jessica Alba on stage as eye candy. I didn't even notice the phone though, so maybe it wasn't all that good on their part.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
There was a phone?...

A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    KINGSTON HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27MP33HQ 32" IPS LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB, 2 x SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda® 7200.12, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache
    PSU
    ANTEC TruePower New TP-550, 80 PLUS®, 550W
    Case
    ANTEC Three Hundred Illusion
    Cooling
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, 3 x 120mm 1 x 140mm Case
    Internet Speed
    20 + Mbps
    Browser
    Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    Avast
The best thing MS did with Windows phone was get Jessica Alba on stage as eye candy. I didn't even notice the phone though, so maybe it wasn't all that good on their part.

I noticed both. :D I'm personally enjoying the several Windows Phone commercials on TV now. The HUGEST problem with Microsoft's TV advertising was never actually showing the UI itself, just a random minor feature like Xbox Live. I just was watching one of my show's and I believe I spotted a Nokia Lumia 900.... Aw yeah.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Yeah, but do you look as good as Jess Alba?

I can sure as hell sell a Windows Phone better than Microsoft too. This is fact.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
What's more, about one-third of Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP users who are ready to buy a new personal computer say they intend to switch to an Apple product.

Good Luck! See Ya! Brand new Apple users will find Macs to be completely intuitive! :shock:

Lols... They'll be throwing a Windows OS on it anyway thinking all of their problems will be solved.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Toshiba Satellite
    CPU
    Intel Core Duo P7450 @ 2.13GHz
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Raedon HD3650
NPD has their numbers out. for those that don't know NPD, they are a sales tracking firm. here's their explanation:

Plenty of questions, few answers surface about early Windows 8 sales | Ars Technica

Surprisingly, the first talk of sales numbers was positive: the Register reported the results in Europe were, according to channel analyst Context, actually quite good. Sales in the two weeks up to and including the October 26 launch of Windows 8 were up 7.8 percent year-on-year, and about a quarter of these machines shipped with Windows 8.

According to market research firm NPD, the US market does have a problem with stale Windows 7 inventory. Windows 8 is growing each week as these old machines are flushed from the channel. But Windows 7, in contrast, had no comparable problem with Windows Vista inventory. The result? Windows 7 had a "stronger launch," but Windows 8 has a "faster ramp."

But this inferiority may be due not to poor sales per se, but delays in shifting Windows 7 merchandise. With NPD noting the old inventory is being cleared and Windows 8 is ramping up, the US could soon match Europe's results.

Remember that the vast bulk of Windows sales is with new machines, not PC upgrades.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
That story tells nothing. He is just filling the page for no reason.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
One thing to considerate with the phones; I have a 3 years plan that finish next summers that give me a free iPhone, I will not cancel and pay penalty to switch phone, I guess many are in my condition, some peoples will wait to switch to the Windows 8 Phone. Windows 8 RT look very good on a phone, it fill the page , this is way better looking than Android and iPhone. But i prefer the iPhone casing.

If only Microsoft will have make a small re sizable Metro Menu ( not a full page) , it will have the look of their Phone and way less peoples will have complain about it. Just imagine a floating window with Metro Tiles and a phone looking contour... a kind of Gadget replacement.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
Exactly! I imagine being able to resize the start menu and dock it to the side of the monitor, or better yet the side of a secondary monitor. Then your "Live Tiles" will actually be live! As it is they are completely useless since you only see them for a fraction of a second when launching a new app. It works on a phone and to a lesser extent on a tablet but the live tiles are virtually useless on a desktop as it is now. I have several gadgets that I use and need to see ALL THE TIME for them to be useful.

Do that, make metro apps resizble and movable, get rid of charms on the desktop and restore the start menu and W8 would be boss.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
Microsoft can even do better, they can sync our Windows 8 phones and our (In floating window ) Metro Pages,,, how slick it will be,our phone on our desktop. Third party can even make skin too look like your actual Samsung or Nokia phones. This will even attract me more to get one of their phone. No need to make the full OS looking like a phone. Just like that we throw Idea, Microsoft as so many employees that for sure someone come with something like that.... unbelievable

COKE, tell me what you think of it .....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Microsoft can even do better, they can sync our Windows 8 phones and our (In floating window ) Metro Pages,,, how slick it will be,our phone on our desktop. Third party can even make skin too look like your actual Samsung or Nokia phones. This will even attract me more to get one of their phone. No need to make the full OS looking like a phone. Just like that we throw Idea, Microsoft as so many employees that for sure someone come with something like that.... unbelievable

COKE, tell me what you think of it .....

The idea is to make a feature in Windows that takes the Start Screen (in more or less of a Windows Phone) into a window on the Desktop?

Umm...interesting. It could work, but part of feels like using the Windows Phone 8 SDK would bode well for that. But then again, the whole point of the new Start Screen is the unite a UI across different platforms, where all disparate systems are united with a similar, but different UI that takes advantage of the device's capabilities, features, screen estate, and inputs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
But COKE a Desktop with a 24, 27 or 30" monitor is not a 4" phone. Microsoft make the 24,27,30" Start Page look like a 4" phone. They don't utilize the greater potential a desktop is.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
I wouldn't think using something that takes the base of a 4 inch phone and put it directly into a 24 inch screen would be most ideal. I wouldn't want to use my Windows Phone with a mouse, but I would use Windows 8 with a mouse. Yeah, some UI aspects of Windows Phone were carried over, but then adjusted for Windows 8 PCs. You can't fit over 70 tiles on a Windows Phone on one screen. You can't snap apps with Windows Phone. You obviously don't have a Desktop on a Windows Phone. But you do have apps that have been taken from Windows Phone, like Bing and Xbox Music and Calendar and Mail, and scaled up to size with easier access to app commands and functions versus using them on a four inch screen. I surely wouldn't want to detail out my monthly calendar on a phone! I would with a 27 inch monitor with touch or a mouse.

But then again, this is true if you use the apps. Disregard the apps, you just have a full screen start menu that can show well over 60 items in one screen, that is visual, can be accessed from two locations, and can be arranged and customized to how you want it both within the system and with third party tools. It's much akin to the old school use of the Desktop, it was primarily used in part, to have all sorts of program icons and folders and such. The thing that is different in this scenario is that the Start Screen simply takes the old purpose of having the Desktop (being a launcher of programs and having access to files and folders) and slips it out and puts it on top of the new use of the Desktop in Windows 8 (being a multitasking environment and a program launcher with Taskbar) and under the new metro apps. I see it as different layers.

I personally use a mix of things. I have metro apps alongside Desktop apps and locations. Mix and match. I know where everything is at visually.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I am not real sure I would get a windows phone, US Cellular does not have the Iphone yet and it is getting close to time to be able to upgrade my phone.... I was at a us cellular store the other day and I was looking at a windows phone.... still would much rather get an iphone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 professional
    Dell Inspiron b130
    CPU
    1.7 ghz
    Memory
    1gb
I find the Windows 8 phone interface to be similar to the xbox360. Too flashy, colorful, and just too distracting. I love playing games on my 360, but find the menu and navigation of the ps3..while ugly...to be more enjoyable,.straight forward and simpler to navigate.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I find the Windows 8 phone interface to be similar to the xbox360. Too flashy, colorful, and just too distracting. I love playing games on my 360, but find the menu and navigation of the ps3..while ugly...to be more enjoyable,.straight forward and simpler to navigate.
Really? Wow. Never really figured the Xbox Dashboard to be flashy... It looks more like a simplified Start Screen with more pinnable content.

Now Windows Phone 8, really? I never would figure something would be considered bad because it's too colorful. Black or white background and 20 different colors where one user defined color is predominate. Seems more tasteful than anything. What's distracting are widgets and screens full of icon groups and apps that do nothing other than distract you in general.

But hey, that's just me. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Back