Solved Trying to install XP on Hyper-V VM; doesn't see disk

Kari, thank you for your help. You were correct it was a corrupt ISO file. I found another WinXP ISO and it loaded and installed properly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 PRO
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS / Republic of Gamers
    CPU
    Intel Core 17
Good to know you got it solved.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    1.6 GHz Intel Core i7-720QM Processor
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Beats sound system with integrated subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" laptop display, 22" LED and 32" Full HD TV through HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900 (1), 1920*1080 (2&3)
    Hard Drives
    Internal: 2 x 500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm
    External: 2TB for backups, 3TB USB3 network drive for media
    Cooling
    As Envy runs a bit warm, I have it on a Cooler Master pad
    Keyboard
    Logitech diNovo Media Desktop Laser (bluetooth)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1000 Laser (Bluetooth)
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender 4.3.9431.0
    Other Info
    Windows in English, additional user accounts in Finnish, German and Swedish.
Kari, I now have an installed WinXP SP3 VM and have installed my 32bit Applications on it and they are functional. Now I have discovered I do not had access to the files on the Host computers Hard Drive. I have tried the option of creating an internal virtual switch but still do not see the Host computers hard drive. What are my options? Really don't want to have to continuously burn files to a DVD from the Host drive then launch VM WinXP and copy those files to the VM virtual hard drive. I've had suggested using the Skydrive. If this is the correct path to use, who to I get the VM to have access to the Skydrive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 PRO
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS / Republic of Gamers
    CPU
    Intel Core 17
Kari, I now have an installed WinXP SP3 VM and have installed my 32bit Applications on it and they are functional. Now I have discovered I do not had access to the files on the Host computers Hard Drive. I have tried the option of creating an internal virtual switch but still do not see the Host computers hard drive. What are my options? Really don't want to have to continuously burn files to a DVD from the Host drive then launch VM WinXP and copy those files to the VM virtual hard drive. I've had suggested using the Skydrive. If this is the correct path to use, who to I get the VM to have access to the Skydrive.

Hi there

1) enable SHARING on the HOST drives
2) Connect to the XP machine from HYPER-V using RDP and allow local resources through. (Check of course that the XP machine allows INCOMING connections).

Hopefully this will work.

If not Kari will probably answer better. He's the expert on HYPER-V around here.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Now I have discovered I do not had access to the files on the Host computers Hard Drive. I have tried the option of creating an internal virtual switch but still do not see the Host computers hard drive. What are my options? Really don't want to have to continuously burn files to a DVD from the Host drive then launch VM WinXP and copy those files to the VM virtual hard drive. I've had suggested using the Skydrive. If this is the correct path to use, who to I get the VM to have access to the Skydrive.
You should be able to access your shares on host (Windows 8 / 8.1) simply by setting up networking between the guest and the host. This tutorial at our sister site The Seven Forums will show you how, it applies to Windows 8 / 8.1 as well: File Sharing - Between XP and W7 (and vice versa) - Windows 7 Help Forums.

One practical tip to get files from your host to XP guest is to use the XP Shared Documents folder. Open (access) it from your Windows 8 / 8.1 host and drop the files there, they will be immediately copied over to XP as for instance here in this example:

2014-10-15_15h57_09.png

The file needed was stored on my host. I simply copied the file on host to Network > XP guest > Shared Documents.

This is a very practical workaround when the XP guest can't access the host but the host can see the XP guest; sometimes it's a bit tricky to get networking from XP to work to Windows 8 / 8.1 but by default the XP Shared Documents folder can usually be accessed from other computers in the same network without any changes in settings. I have for instance at the moment a peculiar issue, I suddenly lost access from the Hyper-V Windows XP guest to my Windows 10 Technical Preview host (worked an hour ago?) but can access the XP guest from Windows 10 host. Using the above workaround I can still get files from host to XP guest.

The OneDrive (former SkyDrive) is also a good solution. And simple, just drop the files needed from host to OneDrive, sign in to OneDrive from the XP guest and download what you need:

2014-10-15_16h08_23.png

Kari

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    1.6 GHz Intel Core i7-720QM Processor
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Beats sound system with integrated subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" laptop display, 22" LED and 32" Full HD TV through HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900 (1), 1920*1080 (2&3)
    Hard Drives
    Internal: 2 x 500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm
    External: 2TB for backups, 3TB USB3 network drive for media
    Cooling
    As Envy runs a bit warm, I have it on a Cooler Master pad
    Keyboard
    Logitech diNovo Media Desktop Laser (bluetooth)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1000 Laser (Bluetooth)
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender 4.3.9431.0
    Other Info
    Windows in English, additional user accounts in Finnish, German and Swedish.
Back