Trying to go back to 8.1, tons of lag

belveder

I am trying to go back to Windows 8.1 Pro. It installs fine etc but I get constant mouse lags / short freezes almost straight away.

Any help would be appreciated please.

CPU - I5 9400F
Mobo - MSI MPG Z390 gaming edge AC
Memory - G Skill Trident Z Royal 32GB
Graphics - Geforce GTX 1660
Windows HD - 250 GB SSD

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7 & 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    home made
    Antivirus
    ESET
A few suggestions:
1) Check the (maybe) missed device drivers in the Device Manager, add or update manufacturer's MB drivers.
2) Check for OS updates and install at least the important updates (some recommended updates can also improve the OS stability). Restart PC until all needed updates are installed.
3) Check the CPU load in Task Manager, it should be normally about 0...1% (may take 5-10 min after the end of update). If more, look which process steals CPU resources.
4) Connect the most common USB wired mouse, if you have used a wireless before. Check the lags.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro; Windows 11 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-12700K (Alder Lake)
    Motherboard
    Asus PRIME Z690-M Plus D4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus GeForce 1050 Ti, 4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philips 235PQ
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 (FHD)
    Hard Drives
    Windows 8.1: Samsung SSD 980 PRO, 500 GB (M.2)
    Windows 11: Samsung SSD 870 EVO, 500 GB (SATA)
    PSU
    Platimax D.F. 1050 W (80 Plus Platinum)
    Browser
    Google Chrome
A few suggestions:
1) Check the (maybe) missed device drivers in the Device Manager, add or update manufacturer's MB drivers.
2) Check for OS updates and install at least the important updates (some recommended updates can also improve the OS stability). Restart PC until all needed updates are installed.
3) Check the CPU load in Task Manager, it should be normally about 0...1% (may take 5-10 min after the end of update). If more, look which process steals CPU resources.
4) Connect the most common USB wired mouse, if you have used a wireless before. Check the lags.

Thanks for the reply, I'll answer in order to your suggestions.
1 - Manufacturer has no drivers for windows 8.1, I am missing Network Controller and PCI Device
2 - Update only had security and net framework updates.
3 - CPU load is 2

Thanks again

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7 & 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    home made
    Antivirus
    ESET
OK, apparently you realise that the problem may be connected with lack of device drivers. While the manufacturer hasn't released drivers for Windows 8.1, at least Intel has them. They may be more generic than from the manufacturer, but at least you can try: Downloads for Intel® Z390 Chipset
Another possible way: the manufacturer might have released Windows 8.1 driver for another board with the same or very similar chipset. With some luck, it may help too.
As for network controller, try to find its manufacturer and download a driver there. Alternatively, you can look at the hardware ID and search in the Internet your ID or any compatible (Device Manager -> device with driver problem [!] -> Details -> Hardware IDs and Compatible IDs).

Of course, an installation of non-specific driver poses some risk, in worst case a BSOD during the boot. Don't forget to create a system checkpoint before installation or, even better, a full system backup on an external drive.

Sorry, I haven't understood the situation with updates: have you already installed all security updates? Look at Windows Update, View update history: it should show more than 100 updates in Important category and some other in recommended. If so, the list of current important updates should be empty, only some optional updates may present (if you decided that you don't need them). I ask because it's quite common that after a fresh installation of Windows 8.1 the automatic update system doesn't works properly, so need to install a specific update manually which resolves this problem.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro; Windows 11 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-12700K (Alder Lake)
    Motherboard
    Asus PRIME Z690-M Plus D4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus GeForce 1050 Ti, 4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philips 235PQ
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 (FHD)
    Hard Drives
    Windows 8.1: Samsung SSD 980 PRO, 500 GB (M.2)
    Windows 11: Samsung SSD 870 EVO, 500 GB (SATA)
    PSU
    Platimax D.F. 1050 W (80 Plus Platinum)
    Browser
    Google Chrome
Thanks for that, I got Windows 8.1 working lovely and smooth but you are right in the sense with lack of drivers. I can't find wifi, bluetooth or pci drivers anywhere so this might have turned out to be a bad idea

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7 & 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    home made
    Antivirus
    ESET
Back