Too many tablet choices this Xmas -- how to choose

There's a Surface HD in the works now, too? I knew about the Surface RT (I actually like the idea and have thought about getting a pair) and the Surface Pro. Do you have a link to information about the Surface HD? Or can I just use my snarkiness as an example of how important accurate information it?

On a side note, where I to get a tablet purely for consumption, it would be the Nook HD or Nook HD+. I already use a Nook Simple Touch for books, and as someone who tends to prefer staying within an ecosystem, I'd find the Nook HD great for magazine subscriptions and mobile Hulu/Netflix viewing. The Surface RT would be great for my wife, who currently has a hopped-up netbook (11.6" Acer with an SSD and 8GB of RAM). She uses it mostly for web browsing and basic use of MS Office - nothing that Windows RT can't handle.

I would advise you to check out the Nook and Kindle apps on Win8. My Wife is very happy with it on the RT.
So, really, if you think about it, the WinRT or Win8 Pro tablets give you twice+ more options than a single eReader like the Nook or Kindle. She has a Nook Color now. But once I showed her what you can get with a Win8 tablet, she is convinced it is worth spending a little extra and getting so, so, so much more for the money.

Not only those things,, but also,,, Local Library ebooks. Which you can do I think on both the Nook and Kindle, but I think it is much easier on a Windows Tablet. Reader™ Public Library

and for Windows Phone 7 and 8, as well on the WinRT and Windows 8 in general..

OverDrive Media Console app for Windows in the Windows Store

I do suggest WinRT for those that are looking for a similar device like the Nook or Kindle. Seriously take a look at one and try it out.
From my Wife's experience and my own, the Nook App actually works better with magazines then the nook itself does.

not only the Nook and Kindle Apps, there are others as well. Like Britannica, and some other book repositories.

If people really look at the options over all in general without any bias at all, none, they will see the advantage is over all greater on a Windows Tablet, whether it be WinRT or Pro

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
I need a tablet that does some of the same things as my desktop, say a personal assistant to my desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I need a tablet that does some of the same things as my desktop, say a personal assistant to my desktop.

well i don't think it gonna be Surface RT,I do think its a great tool but it looks like it will not run 3rd party programs we are use to using on our desktops ,unless the creator of the programs rewrite it to be a compatible App

get ready to use the new start that most people hate, Full time ,the IE with the bottom url ,but it does come with office home and student installed ,butcant be use asa business office unless you have a license for office 2013
Windows RT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-----------
from above link .
Software compatibility

The only desktop applications supported by Windows RT are those that come with the operating system itself (such as File Explorer, Internet Explorer, and Office); Windows RT only supports third-party software that are developed using the Windows Runtime (WinRT), such as those obtained from the Windows Store (which are cross-compatible with both Windows 8 and Windows RT), or sideloaded in enterprise environments. To ensure "longer battery life, predictable performance, and especially a reliable experience over time," developers cannot directly port existing desktop applications compatible with versions of Windows for Intel-compatible processors (such as Windows 8 and Windows 7) to run on Windows RT without re-building them as WinRT apps.[SUP][10][/SUP]

Additionally, Windows RT does not support "New experience enabled" web browsers; a special class of app used on Windows 8 allowing desktop web browsers to bundle variants that can run in the Metro shell and integrate with other apps, but still use Win32 code and other features unusable by normal apps

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
I have just started to use the Samsung 500T tablet with the Intel Atom processor as a companion device to my main notebook. With the new version off Microsoft Office 13 I can instantly track my food intake, exercise and blood sugar numbers to keep me healthy and on track with my diabetes. I've hated having to open a notebook and wait to boot it up etc before entering my numbers at the end of the day, having this tablet has really helped me track issues through out the day. There are many Windows 8 designs and I am also looking into convertible device because I do need a keyboard.

I do want to point out I am an Intel employee.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
if you haven't yet, you should check out a Win Phone also,, you can access that from Skydrive just as easily there also.
one edit, instant update and access on all other devices and whoever you might share it with.
Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote.

yes, this can be done in Office 2010 as well.
But I really like 2013. And if you use OneNote, there is a free OneNote App.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS

well i don't think it gonna be Surface RT,I do think its a great tool but it looks like it will not run 3rd party programs we are use to using on our desktops ,unless the creator of the programs rewrite it to be a compatible App

get ready to use the new start that most people hate, Full time ,the IE with the bottom url ,but it does come with office home and student installed ,butcant be use asa business office unless you have a license for office 2013
Windows RT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-----------
from above link .
Software compatibility

The only desktop applications supported by Windows RT are those that come with the operating system itself (such as File Explorer, Internet Explorer, and Office); Windows RT only supports third-party software that are developed using the Windows Runtime (WinRT), such as those obtained from the Windows Store (which are cross-compatible with both Windows 8 and Windows RT), or sideloaded in enterprise environments. To ensure "longer battery life, predictable performance, and especially a reliable experience over time," developers cannot directly port existing desktop applications compatible with versions of Windows for Intel-compatible processors (such as Windows 8 and Windows 7) to run on Windows RT without re-building them as WinRT apps.[SUP][10][/SUP]

Additionally, Windows RT does not support "New experience enabled" web browsers; a special class of app used on Windows 8 allowing desktop web browsers to bundle variants that can run in the Metro shell and integrate with other apps, but still use Win32 code and other features unusable by normal apps
Yeah, that's why I'm going for a Surface Pro. I know I will need AutoCAD, maybe Photoshop. As well as Office 2013 Professional as I'm an Outlook user and LOVE it. There's utorrent as well... and the plethora of device support RT doesn't have.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
first i heard of the pro, interesting google search ,64git a 899.00 and at 999.00 for the 128gig
i gotta get a job .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard