This will be Microsofts biggest ever flop, far bigger than Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you really want to kill more forests printing manuals that almost no one will read? Do you know how much wood it takes to print a half billion manuals?

the manual LOL and double LOL, the last Windows manual I saw was with Windows 3.11 , MS charge more for their OS and don,t print manual anymore ....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Homebuilt special
    CPU
    i3
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTS250
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq 24"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    big ones
    PSU
    lots of power
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Intel
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    smokin
    Browser
    IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Microsoft
well Area,

i am from Flanders, so we speek the dutch language.

Mais vous avez raison "Since you are from Belgium, " Windows 8 n'est pas une bonne cuvée "

En blanc ou en rouge?

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    INTEL CORE I--3770K LGA1155
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    KINGSTON 2400 MHZ KHX24C11K4 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 SAMSUNG 840 PRO RAID 0 ON BOARD 2 x 128 GB
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps
And i must add here:

There will always be complaints about any OS, also Linux and do not forget Apple users.

Mustang i disagree:

"Windows 7 = 460 Million active copies.
Windows 8 = 10 Million active copies. And they're at heavily discounted promotional prices!

Windows 8 = 2.17% of Win7."

Those 460 million copies where not sold in 2 weeks, but if in 2 weeks more where sold then Windows 8....what did you expect.

Win 7 came after Vista, that explains everything.

Your print problem might be the....printer because we have here a laptop Win7 X86 and i (off course myself i use Win8 X64) and our Oki710 although not a network printer prints perfectly ANYTHING in Excel.

I am on Office 2013, the laptop on Office 2007....

sorry

jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps
And i must add here:

There will always be complaints about any OS, also Linux and do not forget Apple users.

Mustang i disagree:

"Windows 7 = 460 Million active copies.
Windows 8 = 10 Million active copies. And they're at heavily discounted promotional prices!

Windows 8 = 2.17% of Win7."

Those 460 million copies where not sold in 2 weeks, but if in 2 weeks more where sold then Windows 8....what did you expect.

Win 7 came after Vista, that explains everything.

Your print problem might be the....printer because we have here a laptop Win7 X86 and i (off course myself i use Win8 X64) and our Oki710 although not a network printer prints perfectly ANYTHING in Excel.

I am on Office 2013, the laptop on Office 2007....

sorry

jeff
Thanks for the input Jeff on the printer. After extensive testing with HP controlling my printer, HP said the printer is fine. And it's the same model printer on W7 and W8. And why will it print all word docos but not Excel from the same office? And why will it print new excel created in W8 using the same office as on W7, but not print ones created on W7? And why will W7 print ones created on W8 but not vice versa? It means W7 is forward compatible but W8 is not backward compatible. And why the problems with copy/paste unless different formats when created on W7 vesus W8.

Re statistics for W8 versus W7, considering W7 came out roughly 3 years ago, W8 would have to sell approximately 12.5 million copies per month, every month, for three years straight, to catch up to where W7 is today. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't see that happening.

jeffrys said:
well Area,

i am from Flanders, so we speek the dutch language.

Mais vous avez raison "Since you are from Belgium, " Windows 8 n'est pas une bonne cuvée "

En blanc ou en rouge?
I get the language bit. My son lives in West Australia, but his girlfriend lives in Belgium and is a language teacher at univsersity level. Her family actualy do speak French. And English fluently.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Do you really want to kill more forests printing manuals that almost no one will read? Do you know how much wood it takes to print a half billion manuals?

Come On, my point was that no manual was included , because someone said they don't mention it on the manual. You cut the most important part of my reply. Anyway, why and why Microsoft , if the want to save the tree, don't include a PDF version of their manual....

ah now I see some peoples saying it will use another dvd , more plastic so more petrol and the exploitation of the petrol....and I gone come back we a download version, not they will say they release too much co2 for produce the extra electricity to run the servers where are stored the pdf ...... bla bla all the reasons are goods

at the end, you don't need to kill tree to press ctr-alt-del

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
well, what can i say...

your system specs do not show, at least for me. Not that it makes any difference, still i can print via Win 7 or Win 8 on the Oki printer,
mine is a Lexmark E360DN, and we have also a HP Deskjet 4550 printer. And all the 4 computers can print on any printer.

So the laptop is Win 7, my wifes was until 2 days ago Vista, one for the internet or spare was Win7, now Win8 and i am on Win8 for 14 months now.

Sorry not to be able to help you

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps
It's fine once you download and install one of the desktop start buttons. I removed all the metro stuff and I'm content with Win 8. It was designed for a tablet and just needs to customized for a full computer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 64
    Home brew
    CPU
    I5
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    4GB
It's fine once you download and install one of the desktop start buttons. I removed all the metro stuff and I'm content with Win 8. It was designed for a tablet and just needs to customized for a full computer.

I have not installed any start button third apps, I have no need for it, the problems with Windows 8 is far more that the start menu. You can't customize the main problems of Windows 8 with any third apps. The Charm Bar, the Hot Corners and the fact that Metro Apps run on only 1 monitors and you can't re size them like you will need.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
If your on your desktop screen . Place the mouse at the bottom right of the screen click setting and then the power. You will have the options to shut down, restart or sleep. It seem pretty simple

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8 Pro 64
I’ve been trying out the Consumer Preview for a couple of days now and it looks as though MS have chosen to make using the desktop UI in Windows we all know as difficult and frustrating as possible. On logging in for the first time you are confronted with the Metro start screen. It then takes ages to find things like the Network Centre, Control Panel, Windows Explorer etc. as they are not on the initial Metro start screen. You have to hunt around the entire OS to find them and then either make shortcuts to the Metro UI or pin them to the desktop taskbar to access them quickly. MS have also deliberately removed the old ‘Start’ button from the bottom left hand corner of the desktop screen, making it a nightmare to navigate anywhere if you want to quickly open a programme that is not pinned to your desktop taskbar. This makes trying to work productively a complete joke. Whoever thought that removing the START button from the desktop screen was a good idea should be taken out and publicly flogged and pelted with rotten vegetables. A decision some brainless cretin at MS seems to have made.

Did you startup driving your new high tech car right off ? Yeah, I didn't think so; there were new things you had to get used to doing, and its no different here.

The new OS, is touch/swipe, and its the future obviously.

This is the future, I love it, everyone else loves it and watch for touch screens to sell like wildfire for win 8.

Most people do simple thing with their computers, like music, pictures, emails, video chat and surfing, and for that purpose alone, win8 is a dream, and works in tandem with phones and tablets. Make no mistake, this is the future, and anyone that misses that , will get left in the dust.

cu
lee

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7 64b
    custom made
    CPU
    Phenom II X4
    Motherboard
    asrock
    Memory
    4 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    8800gtx
I don't think it will be a flop but it could have been more successful. Not to say that it isn't.

I wouldn't count on it not being some type of flop while you won't be seeing any full retail version sold on store shelves. MS has limited the purchase options to upgrade or OEM for System Builder on disk and no two dvd full version offers!

The implimentation is where most will be stumped since all too many are never on forums like this and are frowning at the changes when now spotting the tv ads! Some who never upgraded from XP and still wouldn't consider 7 but will buy a used or refurbished XP laptop for example would never even try 8 out.

And it certainly isn't all 8 bashing going on. I was looking at the possibility of running 8 as a second OS here but was a bit irritated after the CP with the haphazards of dual booting with the RP! Classic Shell took out the "Modern" part of it where the Control Panel is displayed in the Windows Explorer window or found by a fast right click on the desktop to move from Personalization to Control Panel>Home in one fast click.

If your on your desktop screen . Place the mouse at the bottom right of the screen click setting and then the power. You will have the options to shut down, restart or sleep. It seem pretty simple

Simple only IF you know it is even there! Staples is now "offering free lessons for Windows 8" in their tv spots when showing off some of the latest tablets and laptops with the Start screen displayed. They know the general public will be needing some general "Win 8 Re-education" on the vast changes MS pulled off!

As far as 8 I could be running it tomorrow with a 64bit Pro OEM disk in the mail. The workarounds already out plus more likely to come would get back to some normal type of desktop OS. I don't have to have 8 since 7 is already doing "everything" besides any possible Hyper-X project. 8 on the other hand is hearing complaints from those running the W8 Pro about various things where I can only give so much advice for the new version not running it on a daily basis.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
Finally found a Start Menu that not only exactly replicates 7, but pulled all my defaults over from my 7 Partition. :dinesh:

In addition because you toggle either 7 or 8 Explorer, if you choose 7 style it doesn't load Metro into RAM so it's faster overall than either 7 or 8. I can't remember Firefox ever being this snappy.

I have never recommended a mod before but highly recommend this one to make 8 as good of a desktop experience as 7.

If you want an exact replica of W7 Orb/Start Menu, with ALL the functions, click: Ex7ForW8.

It requres slightly more work, as you need the W7 Installation disk to load it; but it only takes a matter of seconds to extract Explorer 7 files.

Once loaded it has a toggle switch between Explorer8/Metro and Explorer7/Orb Start Menu.

In effect you're running either Explorer 7 or 8. When using Ex7 Metro is totally gone, on boot and after boot; but only a click away if you need to access it from the active GUI.

I'm using it on Enterprise 8, and after all available updates still runs seamless. And W8 on SSD SATA3 with I5 CPU absolutely flies. :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
That's because it is 7 explorer.

It won't be suitable for the average user - they dont have the win7 dvd. But if they are foolhardy enough to have done the in place upgrade - they do have them in the windows.old directory.Only if they had win7 to start with.

It's great. I have been using tihiy's stuff to help with an attempt at winpe4.

Hopeless trying to use the crippled win8 explorer functions in there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Or you create a Logoff, restart, shutdown shortcut and place this on the taskbar AND start menu, no need to go to settings then.

Wehn on the taskbar you need to go to the start menu, hit the corner, then settings, then power before you can hit restart or shutdown, and logoff is not there.

Keep it simple.

Mustang, did you change the printer, i mean did you tried to swap the HP to another computer to see what gives.
Anyway, i do not believe HP when they say the printer is fine.

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps
Or you create a Logoff, restart, shutdown shortcut and place this on the taskbar AND start menu, no need to go to settings then.

Wehn on the taskbar you need to go to the start menu, hit the corner, then settings, then power before you can hit restart or shutdown, and logoff is not there.

Keep it simple.

Mustang, did you change the printer, i mean did you tried to swap the HP to another computer to see what gives.
Anyway, i do not believe HP when they say the printer is fine.

Jeff

That's because it is 7 explorer.

It won't be suitable for the average user - they dont have the win7 dvd. But if they are foolhardy enough to have done the in place upgrade - they do have them in the windows.old directory.Only if they had win7 to start with.

It's great. I have been using tihiy's stuff to help with an attempt at winpe4.

Hopeless trying to use the crippled win8 explorer functions in there.

The shortcuts are easy to create but unnnessary overall. With a shortcut created for the main exe for Classic Shell dragged into the Startup folder most of the Start screen is simply bypassed when firing up the RP VM here.

Start8 was the first looked at here and dismissed fast when replaced at first by Start Menu 7 and later Classic Shell both "free" while Start8 is a paid for app to get the full version there. Plus you can do quite a bit more like change skins with the Classic Shell's desktop settings options and pay nothing!

The beta seen for the "StartisBack" method is replacing system files from one version to see the ones from a previous version applied. The idea of a need for a 3rd party app in the first place was a ridiculus decision made by MS to pursue the Tablet market place at the sacrifice of the next desktop installment to replace 7. That will still be one important factor regardless of what workarounds you try out.

Meanwhile here's a little "goodie" from MS for video playback on 8 while MS strips away the video player support at the same time? It kind of defeats the purpose of having the Invisible Controls Video Player wouldn't you think?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
I don't like clasic shell

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-990FX
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 980
Oooohh well... That's something for those that do while other programs won't! You have to make your own decision as to what you want to run on your own pc. No one else can tell you what to run! ;)

The preference here at first was when comparing Start8 to Start Menu 7 until giving the CS a good look over. Eventually something even better will likely come along and I might opt for that instead if I do eventually run 8 at all other then on VM. That decision remains up in the air as far as seeing 8 on as a second OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back