This will be Microsofts biggest ever flop, far bigger than Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will flop due to false information spread by stupid people. Windows 8 is a new OS which requires re-learning and is too much trouble for dopes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Eyo
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 640
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 205BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Microsoft
    Internet Speed
    40 Mb/s
Changing from any version to something newer is always a learning curve. But how MS went about this type of major gui change is what will meet with rejection by many and make it flop more then anything else.

The rest is when someone gets 8 on and then wants to revert back to the previous version they were running from a huge disappointment. It's not so much "finding your way around" as it is the additional steps needed in order to take care of the common tasks you do regularly making the experience one to regret. It's best labeled as "Awkward" for the most part.

The market depends on satifying the customer or it simply doesn't sell. It won't matter how good or bad something is if the consumer isn't getting what they are looking for in any way, shape, or form. With Vista people simply didn't understand that Windows grew in size as MS realized finally and came out with MinWin kernel to replace the bloat rep the previous version saw.

But at the same time people weren't paying attention to the improvements in stablility and security for that version. And would you believe many have gone back to Vista after being disappointed with 7?! You can be sure they will be less likely to even look at 8 upon seeing the gui upheaval.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
It will flop due to false information spread by stupid people. Windows 8 is a new OS which requires re-learning and is too much trouble for dopes.

And just what makes you think you're so smart?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1

Don't think it's fair to call many of the folks stupid people and in my experience re-learning is never a problem provided there are some real world benefits. Those benefits vary from individual to individual hence some are going to implement 8 and others will not. MS IMO have failed to get across those benefits to the ordinary desktop/laptop user.

I'm sure if you're in the market for a phone/tablet then maybe MS will do well. Only time will tell on that one. Where MS made it's biggest mistake was to remove the option for either 'classic' or 'metro' UI at install time. By going down this route they automatically alienated a huge number of people. MS are suffering from fruit company envy. They've seen how much Apple earn from downloaded apps and they also want a slice of the cloud computing market. I have no interest in downloading apps or cloud computing.

I don't have a problem with companies making a profit as without profit then development stops and that's not a good scenario for any of us. But to try and force feed a UI that many do not want is extremely poor market research. MS are living in a bubble over this and time will tell. To suggest though that it will fail due to 'stupid' people and 'dopes' is neither fair or reasonable.

There are many experienced contributors to this forum and whatever their opinion, I wouldn't call them stupid.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
The thread starter pined quite well most of the issues on this biggest downgrade ever, worse that Vista’s. You may like it, agree or not, but they are hard facts. However he just missed one point: this OS is simply a marketing hoax. MS is losing grip on the market because their portables are selling far behind other brands. They planned this OS in order to attract customers to buy their products. Just look at this objectively. They are doomed to fail and will have to look for other strategies. This OS does have many updates to follow communication advances and modernization methods and facilities, but it is a real downgrade in all other ways.

Regarding the controversial tiles menu, they don’t even give an option to customers, just make you accept it. The tiles menu is clearly exceptionally good for small hand-held portables, but not appropriate for desktops. Other opinions are just that. Don’t agree? Just wait and the time will show you. Fortunately, that can be corrected with applications like Classic Shell, Pokki, StartMenu X and others, but no option is given from MS because they want to push people hard.

Windows 95 was a big change also, but immediately accepted by everyone because everything in it was intuitive, better and well conceived. Now we are facing something that is nothing of that. So the problem is not because people has to get used to it. Everyone always accept and almost immediately get used to progress, but this is downgrade in every way, like graphics, accessibility, configuration and personalization to name just those immediately jumping at you.

By the way, Free Software Foundation marked their presence at MS big show in NY and many have received their e-mail as follows.

Our volunteer, Tristan Chambers, was there and caught the whole thing on camera! Pictures here: GNUs trick-or-treat at Windows 8 launch — Free Software Foundation — working together for free software.
Reporters and security guards at the event weren't sure how to react when they were greeted by a real, live gnu. The gnu -- which, on closer inspection, was an activist in a gnu suit -- had come for some early trick-or-treating. But instead of candy, she had free software for the eager journalists. The gnu and the FSF campaigns team handed out dozens of copies of Trisquel, a fully free GNU/Linux distribution, along with press releases and stickers. Once they got over their confusion, the reporters were happy to see us and hear our message -- that Windows 8 is a downgrade, not an upgrade, because it steals users' freedom, security and privacy.
Free software operating systems are the real upgrade, and they don't need a zillion-dollar launch event to prove it. To show Microsoft that their ads won't change our minds, we're starting an upgrade pledge: switch to a free OS, or if you're already using one, help a friend switch. We can pay Microsoft a chunk of change for their new, proprietary OS, or we can stand up for our freedom. The choice isn't as hard as Microsoft wants you to think.
Sign the pledge now! -- Pledge to Upgrade to Free Software — Free Software Foundation — working together for free software
And yes, there is a privacy ultrage on pushing pub into the OS. We are yet to see how the European Union will take that abuse. They have already taken decisions against not so shouting matters like browser choice (as was pushed by Micrsoft IE), tracking cookies and permanent login (eg:. Yahoo).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self built
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 II X3 440
    Motherboard
    M4A785TD-V EVO
    Memory
    Kingston kit 4GB DDR3 1333MHz (KVR1333D3N9K2/4)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus VH198S
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Barracuda ST3120022A ATA,
    Western Digital Black Caviar WD1002FAEX SATA,
    Western Digital WD800BB ATA,
    Samsung HD161HJ SATA-II.
    Case
    Standard
    Cooling
    Standard
    Keyboard
    Safeway SW-20
    Mouse
    Logitech v550 Nano
    Internet Speed
    24 Mbs (Factually 12 Mbs)
    Browser
    Firefox and Google Chrome
    Other Info
    PCI ATA-133 Adapter
    Parallel Port Card PCI - PU005V2
I have no problem with learning how to use new programs. However the metro UI is the equivalent of installing cancer cells for my OS. Its not a case of simply learning how to use it, it is absolutely terrible to use.

Moving my mouse cursor to a corner is far less practical and much slower than simply having a start button on the task bar with all the same functions would be. Most of the time I move my cursor to the corner and nothing even happens. Another bad thing is that if you do open a metro screen app, theres no way to close it other than using task killer (no X button to click to close like a window, escape key doesnt work, and getting back to the start screen takes 20x longer than it should do).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Self built
    CPU
    Intel I7 980
    Motherboard
    Asus Rampage III Extreme
    Memory
    12 Gb Geil Ultra Series
    Graphics Card(s)
    KFA2 Nvidia GTX 670
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer G24
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M4 128 Gb + 512 Gb SSDs
    2 x Samsung 2 Tb HDDs
    PSU
    Tagan BZ-1100
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Phanteks ph-tc14pe
    Keyboard
    Microsoft sidewinder X4
    Mouse
    Gigabyte M8000X
    Internet Speed
    7.2 Mbps HSDPA
The main problem of Windows 8 is this guy, he don't understand that our desktop is not what he hold in his hand, Windows 8 will be great if the Metro Crap Start Page will be re sizable and can run in a window with also re sizable icon , but look at hin, he is too much in his bubble to think about other peoples and he is actually see him self as the next Steve Jobs , wait the boar of Microsoft see the sales he will need a new job

Steven7.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
One may or may not like Metro.

I don't care.

What I don't like is MS trying to control everything - removing choices.

If they get away with this - the future looks very bleak.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
SIW2 , the futur ? , this is what I post on another forum, and it explain why Microsoft panic

Google is killing the PC and Microsoft.

It's not for nothing that Microsoft try since many years to win the search engine war: For many years Microsoft sell OS, Offices and other software for individual PCs, they make billions with it. Early as 2005 Bill Gates realize than one day peoples will stop to use PC and they will use utilities like cloud computing, look at what happen after, Microsoft race against Google, they lost. Google release Android making company sell millions of Android phones, Microsoft lost the market and not try desperately to regain the market by forcing peoples to use a Phone interface in their PC( Windows 8 ) . Microsoft try Office 365, but it cost more than Google Apps and even more if you want a version of Office with it. So now Microsoft is in the race for the Cloud domination, they are few step at the back of Google. Even Valve realize that, it's not for nothing they want to port their games to Linux because if Google and Microsoft succeed to kill the PC, nothing will be left for Valve ( Steam ) to make money.

Think about it in a not so far future, you may rents all your software for you cloud terminals , play all your game on a console cloud terminals, the PC will be extinct, like the typewriter and the vacuum tube.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
Windows 8 is a new OS which requires re-learning and is too much trouble for dopes.
Some people are of the opinion that anyone who buys W8 is a dope, and if that's correct nobody will ever be able to use it! Guess that includes me cos I just bought it ... and paid $149 for Pro OEM Disk. And as Max out of 'Get Smart' would say: And loving it! ... with hacked Orb Start Menu and Explorer 7. :redcarded:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
SIW2 , the futur ? , this is what I post on another forum, and it explain why Microsoft panic

Google is killing the PC and Microsoft.

It's not for nothing that Microsoft try since many years to win the search engine war: For many years Microsoft sell OS, Offices and other software for individual PCs, they make billions with it. Early as 2005 Bill Gates realize than one day peoples will stop to use PC and they will use utilities like cloud computing, look at what happen after, Microsoft race against Google, they lost. Google release Android making company sell millions of Android phones, Microsoft lost the market and not try desperately to regain the market by forcing peoples to use a Phone interface in their PC( Windows 8 ) . Microsoft try Office 365, but it cost more than Google Apps and even more if you want a version of Office with it. So now Microsoft is in the race for the Cloud domination, they are few step at the back of Google. Even Valve realize that, it's not for nothing they want to port their games to Linux because if Google and Microsoft succeed to kill the PC, nothing will be left for Valve ( Steam ) to make money.

Think about it in a not so far future, you may rents all your software for you cloud terminals , play all your game on a console cloud terminals, the PC will be extinct, like the typewriter and the vacuum tube.

PC extinct? Rubbish. What about 2560x1600 gaming? What about 24/7 x264/x265 rendering? What about heavy duty production work? We'll always have some form of a PC.

As to the OS, Microsoft can't ignore phones and tablets. They need to have an ecosystem to match Apple especially. To do that they need an OS built for OS's and tablets. While doing that, they need to maintain desktop users. I challenge anyone in this thread. to come up with a better UI - you can't. Its too hard. They are two separate worlds but Microsoft needs both to survive. I say as a first try its decent. I will be interested in how Win 9 turns out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Self built
    CPU
    Intel i3 3220 @ 3.3Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte H77M-D3H
    Memory
    Kingston Value RAM - 8GB DDR3 1333MHz CAS 9
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard Intel 2500
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA 2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq G2420 24" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1 x Samsung 256GB 830 SSD
    1 x Seagate 7200.12 500GB
    1 x Western Digital 3TB EZRX
    PSU
    Corsair CX 430 v2
    Case
    HAF 912 Advanced
    Cooling
    Stock - 1 x 12cm, 2 x 20cm
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Basic Wired 600
    Mouse
    Combo with keyboard
the flatter ui of the desktop was a welcome change but it could have used a little more refinement.

should this be "File Explorer"?

Attachments

• win8flop01.png
    win8flop01.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 783
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7/8
the name of the application is explorer.exe , in Windows 7 it was call Windows Explorer and in Windows 8 it's call now files explorer in the menu but in the task manager they call it Windows Explorer, they really have a problem at Microsoft.

explo1.jpg

explo2.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
Microsoft need to keep both the Tablet and Desktop/Laptop PC market alive, I like the UI but I do think it would have been better if Microsoft had released this as a Tablet edition and another OS for standard PC users which still focuses on the good old desktop UI.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Built it myself
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo OC to 3.2GHZ
    Motherboard
    G41M-ES2L
    Memory
    4.0GB Corsair XMS 2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 260 OC extreme Edition
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC e2343f 23 Inch LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    750GB
    160GB
    250GB
Metro is ok for a Windows 8 desktop, they just have to make it re sizable and in a window. But it's too hard to understand for mister vanity Steven Sinofsky

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
Microsoft need to keep both the Tablet and Desktop/Laptop PC market alive, I like the UI but I do think it would have been better if Microsoft had released this as a Tablet edition and another OS for standard PC users which still focuses on the good old desktop UI.

I used to think that way too when I first started using 8. I thought, well, maybe there should be an option to bypass, an optional start menu, an option for no metro. But the arguments are all over the map. No nested menus, I can't find things, Where is Microsoft taking us...

my focus is always, primarily, on the good ol desktop UI. Can't do much without it. Cannot see a tablet version on a system with 8GB of memory, 10 terabytes of storage, high powered graphics and multi monitors. Despite the naysayers, the gloom and doomers, anti touch crowd, and cloud conspiracy theorists, the combination of WinRT and Win32, is to coin a phrase, an equitable arrangement.
After using it for a problem free year, 8 works.

Windows 8 is a new OS which requires re-learning and is too much trouble for dopes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
Some people are of the opinion that anyone who buys W8 is a dope, and if that's correct nobody will ever be able to use it! Guess that includes me cos I just bought it ... and paid $149 for Pro OEM Disk. And as Max out of 'Get Smart' would say: And loving it! ... with hacked Orb Start Menu and Explorer 7. :redcarded:

Good for you, Mustang! I sincerely mean that! I realize all will not like 8 out of the box. I'm glad you sought your own way. Goes to show that you can't always get what you want, but you can surely get what you need. :thumbup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I have no problem with learning how to use new programs. However the metro UI is the equivalent of installing cancer cells for my OS. Its not a case of simply learning how to use it, it is absolutely terrible to use.

Moving my mouse cursor to a corner is far less practical and much slower than simply having a start button on the task bar with all the same functions would be. Most of the time I move my cursor to the corner and nothing even happens. Another bad thing is that if you do open a metro screen app, theres no way to close it other than using task killer (no X button to click to close like a window, escape key doesnt work, and getting back to the start screen takes 20x longer than it should do).

I felt the same way, at first.

But, after using it for a year or so, it's second-nature now.

It's not an OS you'll feel immediately at home with, it does take time.

I DO use Classic Start, AND the Start Screen.

Oh, to close a Metro app.....ALT +F4.

And a bottom-left left-click will take you straight to the Start
Screen, and a top-left left-click will take you back to your program.

One click, each way......

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)
    Acer Aspire Ethos AS8951G 'Super-Laptop'.
    CPU
    Intel Sandy-Bridge i7-2670QM quad-core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 3000HD / Ge-Force GT555M 2 gigs
    Sound Card
    Realtek/5.1 Dolby built-in including speakers.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    18.4" full-HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1024
    Hard Drives
    2x750GB Toshiba internal, 1x500GB Seagate external, 1x2TB Seagate external, 1x640GB Toshiba pocket-drive, 1x640GB Samsung pocket drive.
    PSU
    Stock
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    Air-cooled
    Mouse
    I/R cordless.
    Internet Speed
    Borderline pathetic.
Good for you, Mustang! I sincerely mean that! I realize all will not like 8 out of the box. I'm glad you sought your own way. Goes to show that you can't always get what you want, but you can surely get what you need. :thumbup:
Thanks Hippsie. I felt it was worth the money for the improvements to the OS kernel, despite having to do hacks to get what best suited my way of using Windows. And the hack Ex7ForW8 actually grabs files from W7 installation disc when installing. So you end up with the exact same Orb Start Menu with all functions. You never see "Metro", but can click a toggle switch to turn off Explorer 7 and go back to Explorer 8 with Metro. My only concern is updates might make it inoperative. But even then I think some other alternative will come up. And I was willing to bet my money on that, which was all of $149 with disc.

Cheers M :D :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back