This will be Microsofts biggest ever flop, far bigger than Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just curious as to why Microsoft is cutting their own throat? The biggest purchaser(s) of Windows is their corporate customers (businesses). They WON'T be using fancy touchscreens in a business environment, so I see a ton of lost revenue for Microsoft out the door when said businesses decide to move from Windows 7. Secondly as I read this forum on a daily basis I can see that the consumer end of purchasers won't be buying it either, will be a Windows XP debacle and like with Windows XP, users will be staying with Windows 7.

They aren't cutting their own throats, they know that OS adoption at the enterprise level is slow, their main target for W8 is consumers. There's a reason why so many companies are still migrating from XP to 7 so any adoption into W8 is not in the near future. Also there would be no lost revenue because Microsoft will make their money whether they stick with 7 or move to 8.

RIM, Kodak and many other companies had dominant positionsv but were unable to understand the users needs which caused them to fail. I really don't think Microsoft is meeting the needs of a desktop user with this interface. They are just in a panic mode.

RIM and Kodak failed because they were too slow to adopt technology. RIM has yet to put a decent smartphone out and Kodak took forever to get into digitial imaging and fell behind quickly. Microsoft also got in late but at least they made the move.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
We'll see in the long run how things go once 8 is out for a period of time. Watching the rumor mills at this time is still a bit premature however as far as guess work on whether 8 will top or flop! One blog writer summed things up nicely in saying that MS was taking a big gambit with 8.

I think we all have come to realize the slow to adapt trend that will follow due to how MS is bringing in the drastic gui changes and how most will react initially. Where MS fails is not from bringing in changes but not allowing any options for the user base.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
Agreed

I think we all have come to realize the slow to adapt trend that will follow due to how MS is bringing in the drastic gui changes and how most will react initially. Where MS fails is not from bringing in changes but not allowing any options for the user base.

IMO, the reasons for slow adoption of new operating systems are:
  • Broken software
  • Hardware requirements
  • Retraining
IMO, upgrading would be a "no brainer", if W8 was W7 with:
  • Improved security & speed
  • Reduced resource footprint
  • No retraining required
IT managers would be saying to the "bean counters", "Forget about upgrading to W7. We should upgrade to W8."

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Broken software is the general rule why most businesses are found to be hesitant about upgrading the OS every few years. The softwares developed for them may not be compatible as well as all of the other office wares requiring a newer version. Then of course the retraining for a newer OS being implimented can easily get in the way.

As far as hardware requirements we saw where MS made the biggest goof with Vista by understating the actual minimum requirements needed particularly as far as 2gb for the 32bit and 2.5gb for the 64bit flavors there. The larger newer version also sadly lacked the extend of backward compatibility for XP programs later found to run on the 32bit 7!

The MinWin development going even further would be the lighter footprint 7 initially brought in being improved on as well as MS now deciding to include a working av program that lies dormant while any other software is on. That was a step they could have seen in 7 but held off for the next to come when the original Windows Defender proved to be nothing more then a title for something that simply didn't work.

The improvement as far as speed however is mainly due to the one registry tweak seen with the WaitToKillServices value being lowered down from what was default in 7 which in turn was lowered down from the same higher value seen with the two previous versions of XP and Vista. That effects shutdown not startup boot time however. A lighter footprint as far as bootloader would be the key note. "Trimming the Fat" would be another way to look at stripping things out of the loading process as the gui loads into ram.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
Not that dumb, but some controls are not easy to find..

That's the problem for me

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Release Preview 64-bit
    Microsoft
    CPU
    Acer
    Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory
    Intel Memory Disk
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT with Nvidia PhysX™
    Sound Card
    DirectX 11.0 ( Upgrade of Version 9.0 ), Dolby Digital Live
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer V-Series
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    Intel® Core™2 Hard Drive

Acer Expanded Hard Drive

Kingston External Hard Disk ( 1 Terabyte )
    PSU
    ATX ( Modified heavily )
    Case
    ATX
    Cooling
    Acer Professional In-built cooler
    Keyboard
    Acer Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse
    Zebronics USB Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    100 MBPS/Second
    Other Info
    It's a gaming PC, so it's heavily modified :D
Yeah, lack of start button or ability to add one back without 3rd party is a huge complaint....and a very understandable one at that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Okay, I haven't read through this thread, so sorry if this is repeat.

Why was Vista a flop? Was it because it was a bad OS? No. It was because of hardware problems. It was more demanding and resource hogging than old 2K and XP. Run Vista on decent hardware, and it was a pretty good OS. Now, why does 8 have the chance to be a flop? Because of Metro. IMO, I think some people don't like it because it is CHANGE. A lot of people don't like change, and that's why people hate it. Now, yes, 8 is built for a touch screen monitor, but it is a decent OS on a regular monitor and mouse and keyboard system. 8 is fast, and stable, and if you give consumers the option to disable Metro, it will do FAR better than if you don't.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W7
I understand that microsoft is trying to pull customers to its windows mobile OS , nothing wrong with it as long as they give an option to turn metro off for those who don't want to use it, and also bring the eyecandy of windows explorer back.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell XPS L702X
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2760QM
    Motherboard
    Intel HM67
    Memory
    Samsung 16GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 555M
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M4 128GB
    Samsung 1TB
I like change. Most people do. That is why they buy new things - that is why we all have mobile phones. That is why "New" is often plastered all over packaging for all kinds of products.

I don't like win8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
The more I use it (my guest system) the more broken it gets. IE 10 is unusable over the long term, too many web sites broken, had to install FF. I generally know how to unbreak websites while maintaining security on IE too, but it's gotten even harder now. For me to have to install FF is yet another major black mark for Win 8.

And I'm not talking about the completely unusable Metro IE10, this is with the desktop version, the masses will have even less luck.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
On this thread again - yikes :confused:

I don't like win8.

That's OK. I don't like Windows 7 or Linux (any version). Don't care for Apple stuff either. I have no smartphone, no tablet, no laptop, no touch device of any kind, and find 8 easy to use with a mouse and keyboard... and have been using it exclusively as my only OS for a full year now.

And I'm not talking about the completely unusable Metro IE10, this is with the desktop version, the masses will have even less luck.

Curious, "completely unusable Metro IE10" ?? I have been using it for a year and really appreciate the new design and how well it works. The full screen only Metro IE eliminates the need to constantly resize and move windows. The command bar and the tabs at the top of screen also work very well. The desktop IE is a great browser. No problems here.

if you give consumers the option to disable Metro, it will do FAR better than if you don't.

give an option to turn metro off for those who don't want to use it

Turning "off" the metro is turning "off" a part of the Windows 8 Operating System. Disabling the start screen, the all apps area, the edge UI (charms), the hotspots, thumbnails, semantic zoom features and metro apps (including the metro IE), the store, etc... is a return to the past which is fine and ok if that is where you want to be.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
It'll grow on you. I guarantee it, it did for me.

Actually, my only REAL worry with it is this bloody push to the cloud.

Ain't going. No way. No how. Not gonna happen.

Can't agree. Grow on me it absolutely did not. The more I used it, the less I liked it. The Aero desktop on my systems looked better and better. With Win8 I not only had an ugly "Modern" front-end but the desktop was ugly as hell to boot. Absolutely nothing about it is attractive in any way as far as I'm concerned.

I will probably always be a Microsoft developer but it will be with the products I've already purchased. If Microsoft continues on this stupid "Modern" track with all their GUI's then they won't see any more of my dollars unless I'm buying another copy of Win7 or something. I bought a brand-spanking-new notebook system to avoid the Win8 transition. It's solid, locked down and should do fine for a long time. Bye Win8.

As for the cloud point, I agree completely. I use a little bit of cloud storage as backup, but I will not place anything critical out there that I can't afford to lose. No way, no how, not gonna happen! ;-)

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
Metro IE10s unusability comes from the fact that you CAN'T resize it. Also the Flash doesn't work half the places you go. Coupled with the the don't track feature (which is good in theory) there are sites that you simply can't see or log into.

Everyone has their set fave sites they go to and those sites are different for everyone. If you've somehow managed to not get caught with IE10's OOB incomptability, consider yourself lucky. It's the #1 reason I DON'T use FF or Chrome, they are broken on too many sites. IE /used to/ be most compatible. With IE10 that is looking like it's no longer the case.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
It's the #1 reason I DON'T use FF or Chrome, they are broken on too many sites. IE /used to/ be most compatible. With IE10 that is looking like it's no longer the case.

I can't say I've noticed that with FF.
When I have site problems, it's usually because NoScript is blocking the hundreds of cascading js routines (and Flash widgets) that seem to be the norm these days.

IE10 is supposed to be more standards compliant.
It's nowhere near as compliant as Chrome (which I don't like/use) or even FF.

Seems like you are saying too many sites are still coded for IE6.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
I still think that Microsoft would have been better off by starting from scratch with a tablet O/S and not trying to integrate the two directly. Instead of screwing around with desktop Windows (which is wildly successful), the tablet O/S should have been developed specifically for tablet machines. In the desktop version of the O/S just provide a subsystem that will allow the user to run the "Modern" apps if they want to and craft Visual Studio to develop to the tablet O/S. Leave the desktop totally alone and add on the pieces necessary to support the tablet experience.

But no ... Microsoft had to try and shove everybody down the same pipe. Even non "Metro" (I mean "Modern") stuff (including their web sites) are all taking on the flat "chromeless" look. IMO this is a major overkill.

On my sytem I went to make a change to a mouse setting. The normal desktop Control-Panel utility comes up but the tab for the mouse settings is now empty except for a link. Click the link then (after waiting 15 seconds or so) another application loads with the mouse settings. It looks just like Metro (I mean Modern). It looks very patched sitting there on an Aero desktop. There was no reason to rework that whole thing just so it looks like Metro ... it looks like a hack and is slow as hell when loading. It's almost all whitespace and knowing where to click things requires hovering the mouse over text in different places. The concept of control buttons on forms seems to be going away. Ugly as hell.

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
Okay, I haven't read through this thread, so sorry if this is repeat.

Why was Vista a flop? Was it because it was a bad OS? No. It was because of hardware problems. It was more demanding and resource hogging than old 2K and XP. Run Vista on decent hardware, and it was a pretty good OS. Now, why does 8 have the chance to be a flop? Because of Metro. IMO, I think some people don't like it because it is CHANGE. A lot of people don't like change, and that's why people hate it. Now, yes, 8 is built for a touch screen monitor, but it is a decent OS on a regular monitor and mouse and keyboard system. 8 is fast, and stable, and if you give consumers the option to disable Metro, it will do FAR better than if you don't.

Well spoken! Vista is a good OS if you are running the older version on adequate hardwares starting off with at least 2gb of memory despite the MS goof originally made about a 512mb minimum! The OEMs loved the way they "cut corners" still seeing new desktops and laptops shipped out with only 512mb installed.

The security and stability issues that compromised XP were addressed in Vista however as well as the improved crash control. XP would simply end up blue screening far more often. Compatibility issues with older programs and lack of drivers suppoort were the main items on the list however besides the larger kernel that tended to weight the older version down ended up seeing a bad rep.

The CP here was found to be reliable as well for what it was being a new version with some enhancements and a few much needed improvements as far as the MS side of virus/malware protection namely a renamed MS Security Essentials to replace a worthless Windows Defender that never did much! Other core elements have also seen a further development of the MinWin kernel brought in first with 7. At least MS is continuing on with the modular type kernel to see that part of Windows made progressive.

The way MS decided to trash the desktop concept however by the way they implemented the "Modern" or whatever it will carry for a name is why most are up in arms about the drastic gui changes best suited for an embedded OS not for any form of standard desktop platform.

I like change. Most people do. That is why they buy new things - that is why we all have mobile phones. That is why "New" is often plastered all over packaging for all kinds of products.

I don't like win8.

At first I had to get used to the changes even 7 brought in while they were found to be favorable and well orchestrated over the contrast seen with 8. When speaking about Vista with it's sidebar annoyance you could easily disable that from auto loading. Not the Modern however!

It's not simply bringing in the Start screen idea for touchscreen monitors making this type of interface available but how MS went about stripping the common denominators of a traditional desktop OS out without leaving any options for the user! The 3.1 to 95 change of gui there was the best move MS ever made gui wise and was seen as progress.

Touchscreen support was improved with 7 but how MS is trashing the Desktop for Modern? How MS is bringing the gui changes this time however leaves much to be desired. While playing party favors to rivel the fruit company on the mobile market along with any improvement as far as touchscreen technology they seem to have abandoned the desktop user!

So how does it look in the long run? Here without being able to set WMP as the default playback medium for video capture/vcd projects and relying on some 3rd party program like VLC 7 still picks up the slack 8 would now be bringing in! Compatibility issues to some extent otherwise would be the normal thing to expect to some extent with any new version to come.

As for IE while one version will come default with each new version to follow IE 6 for XP, IE 7 for Vista, IE 8 for 7, and now IE 10 for 8 IE 8 seems to have been the best so far with 7 being a vast improvement for Vista to replace the practically useless IE 6 filled with too many security holes. IE 9 could be problematic while the beta for 10 had been looking better.

With the 64bit Windows in use here the solution was to be found elsewhere however yet still needing IE at times for a select list of things like software updates. The next version however is still seeing some rough edges until being finalized and seen out with 8 and no longer just the beta form as seen with the CP and RP builds. Once you see IE 10 available for Vista/7 then you will know the finished 10 is out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
XP vs IE9

Once you see IE 10 available for Vista/7 then you will know the finished 10 is out.

Assuming that MS doesn't pull an "XP vs IE9" manoeuvre.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
[h=1]Paul Allen likes Windows 8 -- well, except for a few things[/h]...But the dual modes may be pretty confusing for users, especially when two versions of the same application, like Internet Explorer, can be opened and run simultaneously.
Windows 8 does certainly require a brief adjustment period before users become familiar and comfortable with the new bimodal operating system," Allen noted. For one criticism, Windows doesn't allow users to start their systems with the desktop as the default view, something Allen says should be an option. Instead, they start in the Windows 8 style. And the "Charms" bar, which offers access to important features like search and settings, isn't easily obviously to users.

What Allen found most "puzzling" was adjusting to the new features as a traditional desktop user. For example, he had a hard time using multiple monitors, and the system would sometimes switch between the two modes when he didn't really want it to.

"Personally, I would almost always prefer for Windows to leave me in whichever mode I was already in," Allen said.

Full article at:
Paul Allen likes Windows 8 -- well, except for a few things | Microsoft - CNET News

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX8320
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD 7870
It's the #1 reason I DON'T use FF or Chrome, they are broken on too many sites. IE /used to/ be most compatible. With IE10 that is looking like it's no longer the case.

I can't say I've noticed that with FF.
When I have site problems, it's usually because NoScript is blocking the hundreds of cascading js routines (and Flash widgets) that seem to be the norm these days.

IE10 is supposed to be more standards compliant.
It's nowhere near as compliant as Chrome (which I don't like/use) or even FF.

Seems like you are saying too many sites are still coded for IE6.

I'm not sure what the problem is, it may just be buggy websites not tested on IE 10 yet. It may be the no tracking feature which defintely breaks some sites that are trying to track you (and that's nearly all of them). In the end it really doesn't matter what the cause is. If IE 10 is broken OOTB on enough sites then that'll be a black eye for it an Windows 8.

I've been an IE booster since 7 over anything else because of site compatibility, but IE 10 is eroding that quickly now that I've been using it a lot...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
Paul Allen likes Windows 8 -- well, except for a few things

...But the dual modes may be pretty confusing for users, especially when two versions of the same application, like Internet Explorer, can be opened and run simultaneously.
Windows 8 does certainly require a brief adjustment period before users become familiar and comfortable with the new bimodal operating system," Allen noted. For one criticism, Windows doesn't allow users to start their systems with the desktop as the default view, something Allen says should be an option. Instead, they start in the Windows 8 style. And the "Charms" bar, which offers access to important features like search and settings, isn't easily obviously to users.

What Allen found most "puzzling" was adjusting to the new features as a traditional desktop user. For example, he had a hard time using multiple monitors, and the system would sometimes switch between the two modes when he didn't really want it to.

"Personally, I would almost always prefer for Windows to leave me in whichever mode I was already in," Allen said.

Full article at:
Paul Allen likes Windows 8 -- well, except for a few things | Microsoft - CNET News

I've been positive from the get-go that the entire forced metro experience was entirely a marketing descision, not an engineering one. I'm SURE that the actual product designers and engineers would not have made Win 8 the way it is now. It has "Designed by Marketing" written all over it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back