This will be Microsofts biggest ever flop, far bigger than Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vista was a flop so far as technical use and stability for the most part, but not as a revenue failure for MS. We know that and so did/does MS. However, they did make up for it with 7 in a very timely manner to make what? More revenue.

To the contrary! Vista was actually far more stable and secure then XP ever thought of being plus lacked the high volume of fixes needed to make it into a strong OS! In fact many who tried 7 simply ended going back and staying with it!

7 in the end was the "OS you can run out of the box" seeing less need for error fixing! MS put far more effort into seeing things done right from the start rather then the flop of XP SP3 1,000 fixed long awaited for and the misstatement of minimum system specs required allowing OEMs to sell undergrade systems with Vista preinstalled ending up with negative reaction.

As far as opinions there are as many as there are members on 8F! :D I knew from the start you would be hearing all sorts of them!

I'm sure you are absolutely correct from your point of view in the ascent, deviation, and/or declination of OSs. I'll admit you and others here and elsewhere are far more savvy when it comes to computer technicalities and experience.

I jumped from 98SE on a Gateway to a new PC preloaded with Vista, so I don't know all the rest in between, although I heard from friends and read here and there about them. I'm a builder and was using a PC to run a business. So far as I'm concerned I was spending more time fixing the damn OS and other software running on it than I was using it. So from my point of view it was a flop. I was quite happy and relieved with 7 and continue to be.

That's not an opinion -> That's a fact!

I ran 98SE here for some time even in a dual boot with XP. I soon missed 98 when newer boards and sound cards no longer saw "any" updates period to simply look back at some of those old Legacy titles!

Vista came in aa a much larger OS from start for you. You were fortunate to bypass XP while not so much 2000 Pro which would have been a good option years back to move up from 98. As far as 7 just about everybody knows how well that turned out! :thumbsup:

As for 8 that was an instant disappointment here with the first look on. I still have it on a VM and plan to see another isolated stand alone install to try some ideas out. But to see it replace 7? Not in this life time!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
I find that the more I use Metro, the more I am charmed by it. I think this will be the case with a lot of people. If your computer is what you use for work, you might eventually look at Win8 from a productivity standpoint and not from that of a hobbyist.

It is natural for the hobbyist to dislike everything that arrives on the market without his/her personal approval. The rest of us just need to find out where Outlook and Word are and we can very well go from there. It is unfortunate that Metro has taken the spotlight away from other features that could be real positives (NTFS 5, security essentials, improvements to web browsing).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pre-release
    Acer Aspire One eM350
    CPU
    Atom N450
    Motherboard
    Mobile Intel NM10 Express
    Memory
    1 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel GMA 3150 64MB
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    10.1"
    Screen Resolution
    1024X600
    Hard Drives
    160GB
    Mouse
    Synaptics touchpad
I believe this shows that reviewer dislikes Windows 8 and gives reasons why it will not be successful.

He dislikes the UI changes of Windows 8, he clearly states that other than the UI changes Windows 8 is Windows 7 and more. Also, at no time does he mention that Windows 8 will not be successful, he gives reasons why Windows 7 is still a great OS.

The article sums things up quite accurately with the theme of 8 being a "Flop"! With one look most have simply called it quits when it comes to considering any upgrade to 8!

And where does he mention this in the article? Nowhere.

The hesitance by the corporate world to upgrade versions isn't based on just waiting for the SP1 either. The time and money invested into existing softwares like office wares, 100s of workstations, etc. may simply be not within their present budget as well as the reworking of any special wares developed for their particular business that would need to see all new versions.

Well obviously, but the point remains it has less to do with Windows 8 or Metro than it does the points you outlined above.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
It depends on which article you are referring to. The majority of users especially those who have grown fond of 7 seem to find the Metro or should I saw "Modern" gui a joke! On the other hand some who have gotten past the gui change and trashed desktop look 8 is bringing in they got to the other things which they thought was an improvement but at more or less the core level.

I'm hearing that from a few running the 8 Pro edition. Here 7 became the actual success story when the 32bit 7 could run every XP program and even XP drivers but was the far more stable and secure OS. As for the supposed performance improvement 8 does or doesn't see it was hardly even noticable when placing both 7 and 8 on two separate drives.

As far as NTFS 5.0 you ran that on 2000, XP , Vista, and 7. rich4421972 You may want a look at a 1998 MSDN blog about it. A File System for the 21st Century: Previewing the Windows NT 5.0 File System--MSJ, November 1998

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
As far as NTFS 5.0 you ran that on 2000, XP , Vista, and 7. rich4421972 You may want a look at a 1998 MSDN blog about it. A File System for the 21st Century: Previewing the Windows NT 5.0 File System--MSJ, November 1998

Thanks, Night Hawk. I didn't realize that NTFS was created that far back. If anything was a great innovation in computing, it was the NTFS file system. So that was the huge difference I noticed in performance. I jumped from 98SE on an old gateway to Vista on my new PC here. As you can see, hardware was a difference, but the file system is what actually made the bigger difference.

Thanks again. I learned something tonight. :geek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
first day i was lost like gilligan (I also had to google how to shut down haha)
i had to find and search for everything like the topic creater mentioned

second and third day you start to get the hang and feel of it
after a week im moving around quite nicely

only thing I hate about it is that WMP is gone and my beloved Media Browser is no longer compatible :(

you have to get used to it. i could call myself a seasoned computer user and know my way around a computer
for someone who doesn't know how to use em to much I can see were this can be very complicated for them

Its nowhere near what windows ME or Vista were of being completely and utterly broken.

Windows 8 is not bad or broken. its just different.

I say.......lets give it a chance

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 Processor 2.66 GHz 8 MB LGA1156 CPU I5-750BOX
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    8GB Corsair DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD 5770
    Sound Card
    MotherBoard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus VK278 27"
    Hard Drives
    1 x 120 GB SSD
    1 x 1 TB SATA
    1 x 1.5 TB SATA
    2 x 2TB SATA
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF 932

only thing I hate about it is that WMP is gone and my beloved Media Browser is no longer compatible :(

you have to get used to it. i could call myself a seasoned computer user and know my way around a computer
for someone who doesn't know how to use em to much I can see were this can be very complicated for them

Its nowhere near what windows ME or Vista were of being completely and utterly broken.

Well stated, hostelo. Welcome to EF. Good to have you! :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1

I agree fully. I'm sooo glad there are people that actually like Win 8.

I'm currently running the MSDN release and have been since it was released and I haven't had a single problem.

Yes it's different, but that's good. imagine if you were still running win98 style, I know a few people still do, because they want better performance, but our PC's would be boring.

Gaming on Win 8 is awesome, and works well. I can say that the only prob I had with Win8 was MS some how messed up my live account but once that was sorted, Smartglass syncs to my xbox perfectly. My settings are syncing to my laptop and desktop PC with no hassles. Yes, Metro IE sucks, and Chrome has a few issues being that it sometimes tries to launch into Metro style, but other than that, i think MS have done an awesome job.

Im busy building a new gaming PC and will put it to its full test, with Visual Studio 2012 and developing Metro Apps, and playing more games on it. But so far im happy.

If you willing to try NEW then you will enjoy win8, but if you going to keep running it down, well.... you will never like it.

Don't judge Win8 the first time you start it up, judge it after a week or two playing around with it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8

I think, despite all the frustration, that your last statement makes the most sense. While I don't particularly like some of the changes to the O/S myself it is obviously going to be functional. No, I'm not likely to rebuild my machine around it (I've got it in a VM now) but if I sat down to a machine running it I'm sure I could manage with it. It's just different, that's all. Let's see if MS can make their tablet market penetration with it or not.

As a developer my main concern is whether or not it will run the applications I develop for the desktop. It does that fine so, in the long run, it doesn't matter that much to me. I'll keep playing with it in the VM. If somehow my interest in it ever reaches critical mass then I'll use it. Otherwise it was fun to play with.

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB

The operative words, of course are "1998" and "blog."

Windows XP's filesystem was NTFS 3.1. MS added file encryption features (EFS) and long-name file support,and renamed it "5.0" to indicate that additional capabilities were made to the 3.1 on-disk format. "NTFS5", at that time, was just the 3.0 on-disk format enhanced with new features available to XP and 2000. The MSDN article does not apply in this case because it is touting the "new" features added to NTFS 3.0. The article is attempting to sell computers, not explain the niceties of the filesystem.

The "package" that we think of as "NTFS 5.1" has been upgraded and enhanced over the years, but the basic on-disk format of NTFS 3.1 has never changed since XP. It's a little bit of smoke and mirrors, but the consumer wins in the end.

The fifth version of NTFS for Vista/Longhorn was totally revamped for those systems. The version numbers represent extra features made possible by the operating system and not necessarily the disk format. According to MS's nomenclature, Vista/7/8 all use "NTFS 5.1" now. I wish I had used it with Windows XP! But I didn't. It would be physically impossible.

The 5.1 version of NTFS adds the transactional/atomic file management capability, partition resizing and the self-healing features. It also introduced the "new" file encryption services of "BitLocker." So, indeed, Vista's filesystem management had far more technical options than anything that preceded it.

I am very interested to know about filesystem features that have been added in Windows 8. I think that would be a major selling point for the OS.

I was really hoping somebody else was interested, too. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pre-release
    Acer Aspire One eM350
    CPU
    Atom N450
    Motherboard
    Memory
    1 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel GMA 3150 64MB
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    10.1"
    Screen Resolution
    1024X600
    Hard Drives
    160GB
    Mouse
    Synaptics touchpad
You never get a second chance to make a good first impression. This was something that plagued Vista out of the gate, it wasn't ready, and third party driver support wasn't there and it was released and it was scorned by tech guys everywhere. Even after it improved and was pretty solid, it never shook this initial image of being terrible. I expect Windows 8 could suffer a similar experience.

While under the hood, Windows 8 is solid and performs great, it's the outside shell (UI) that you have to work with that really has an impact on people. It's like a super reliable, yet ugly car. Many people simply won't buy it. I'm not saying Windows 8 is that ugly....but some people might have no love for it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
You never get a second chance to make a good first impression. This was something that plagued Vista out of the gate, it wasn't ready, and third party driver support wasn't there and it was released and it was scorned by tech guys everywhere. Even after it improved and was pretty solid, it never shook this initial image of being terrible. I expect Windows 8 could suffer a similar experience.
Totally true. This initial response I got from windows 8 was pretty terrible. It's been rock solid and functional for the last few months for me, but I think most users will never get over the start screen shock and the excruciatingly ugly desktop visuals.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 RTM (Retinas taking damage...)
    CPU
    i5 2500
    Motherboard
    msi p67a-g43
    Memory
    16 GB DDR3 1333
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Nvidia 9800 GTX+
^ And to make matters worse, I don't think that many people are experiencing problems with Windows 7. Thus, they aren't in a mad dash to get off Windows 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
While under the hood, Windows 8 is solid and performs great, it's the outside shell (UI) that you have to work with that really has an impact on people. It's like a super reliable, yet ugly car. Many people simply won't buy it. I'm not saying Windows 8 is that ugly....but some people might have no love for it.

This is an excellent point and is a great summary of this whole thread.

I think Vista was great (but maybe only for us hackers). --It was really good on paper. There are numerous intellectual reasons that it was a genius set-up, but, in the end, perhaps it was Aero that did it in. I

am more optimistic towards Metro because I do like it and that is my opinion. I haven't seemed to have experienced the same clunkiness that other users are getting.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pre-release
    Acer Aspire One eM350
    CPU
    Atom N450
    Motherboard
    Memory
    1 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel GMA 3150 64MB
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    10.1"
    Screen Resolution
    1024X600
    Hard Drives
    160GB
    Mouse
    Synaptics touchpad
PaulGo said:
While many PC makers saw the coming of Windows 8 as an opportunity for growth and increased competition against Apple, those feelings are slowly fading.
Of course, no need for a crystal ball to predict that: Who wants a desktop/tower PC with a cellphone monitor screen? The non sens at Redmond is stunning.
Robert said:
W8 will not die, it already has a lot of support.
=)) :D ROTFLMAO
Robert said:
It will become mainstream whether you like it or not, when it ships on every single new laptop and desktop.
If they do this you will see millions of poeple asking for a refund, returning the machine to the vendor, calling helpdesk or the computer stores... It will be an unmanageable situation. MS will be sued for delivering ill advertised products and the EU will fine them double digit billions just for the sake of it. The life of Metro on desktop PCs will be counted in weeks. Everybody will be laughing their lungs out. MS will be covered with ridicule.
This thread is full with posts like the one I have quoted above. Not wanting to quote them all, I just use this post as an example.

I would like to ask who has given these devil's advocates a permission to speak on behalf of me or other Windows users who happen to like Windows 8? The arrogance in some of these posts is something quite difficult to understand and accept. Like this statement:
Of course, no need for a crystal ball to predict that: Who wants a desktop/tower PC with a cellphone monitor screen? The non sens at Redmond is stunning.
WTF, I have to ask?

The Start GUI is, according to me and many others, one of the best things the Redmond geeks have produced. But, as this is a subjective opinion of mine, I wouldn't even dream to state that as a fact, like these trash-posters do with their personal opinions. I'd like to learn to understand how someone can think like that: "This is my opinion, ergo it must be a fact!".

How I have grown to like Start GUI! I swap it to secondary display, open my news ticker and messaging app there dividing screen between them, and continue working on main display. I do not use a touch screen but it is amazing how fast, accurate and easy I can use the start GUI with my mouse.

One thing I like in Windows Phone OS is that I can use this same, genial GUI on my phone!

The life of Metro on desktop PCs will be counted in weeks. Everybody will be laughing their lungs out.
This idiotic statement, like others like it, does not even deserve a response.

Kari

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    1.6 GHz Intel Core i7-720QM Processor
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Beats sound system with integrated subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" laptop display, 22" LED and 32" Full HD TV through HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900 (1), 1920*1080 (2&3)
    Hard Drives
    Internal: 2 x 500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm
    External: 2TB for backups, 3TB USB3 network drive for media
    Cooling
    As Envy runs a bit warm, I have it on a Cooler Master pad
    Keyboard
    Logitech diNovo Media Desktop Laser (bluetooth)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1000 Laser (Bluetooth)
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender 4.3.9431.0
    Other Info
    Windows in English, additional user accounts in Finnish, German and Swedish.
This is an excellent point and is a great summary of this whole thread. I think Vista was great (but maybe only for us hackers). --It was really good on paper. There are numerous intellectual reasons that it was a genius set-up, but, in the end, perhaps it was Aero that did it in. I am more optimistic towards Metro because I do like it and that is my opinion. I haven't seemed to have experienced the same clunkiness that other users are getting.
It was the mismatch of system requirements on paper and reality that did it in. Vista forever has a bad name because of it. I used to be a vista hater, especially when using it on a dirt cheap compaq laptop, and it was only after I got some quality time with vista on my quad core, 8GB ram, dual GPU gaming rig that I found out how good vista really was.(despite losing at least 10FPS on most games. 7 is no better though in that regard)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 RTM (Retinas taking damage...)
    CPU
    i5 2500
    Motherboard
    msi p67a-g43
    Memory
    16 GB DDR3 1333
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Nvidia 9800 GTX+
@Kari,,, Totally agree with your points. I like Win 8 and Metro.. there I said it. It's new and different and that's cool in my book. In my book Win 8 will do just fine. YMMV

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Built: Atomic City Computer
    CPU
    AMD A4-4000 3.0/3.2Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI FM2-A55M-E33
    Memory
    8BG of Corsair DDR3 RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    On Board
    Sound Card
    On Boardi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic 27" VA2703
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 500GB, Crucial 120Gb SSD
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    N/A
    Keyboard
    Corsair Raptor K40
    Mouse
    Amazon Generic Optical
    Internet Speed
    56Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox, Chrome and Opera
    Antivirus
    Micro Soft Defender
    Other Info
    Getting this on May 1st:
    AMD A8-6600K
Thanks, Bunny.

However, my main point was this phenomena I really hate, stating your own subjective thoughts and opinions as absolute facts. You know what I mean, this "This is my opinion so it must be a fact".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    1.6 GHz Intel Core i7-720QM Processor
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Beats sound system with integrated subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" laptop display, 22" LED and 32" Full HD TV through HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900 (1), 1920*1080 (2&3)
    Hard Drives
    Internal: 2 x 500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm
    External: 2TB for backups, 3TB USB3 network drive for media
    Cooling
    As Envy runs a bit warm, I have it on a Cooler Master pad
    Keyboard
    Logitech diNovo Media Desktop Laser (bluetooth)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1000 Laser (Bluetooth)
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender 4.3.9431.0
    Other Info
    Windows in English, additional user accounts in Finnish, German and Swedish.
Hi everyone

Most of the adverse comments in this thread have been about people used to previous versions of Windows -- well what about people buying their FIRST computer.

Now it took me ages and ages before I could even begin to THINK about using a smartphone -- for me a telephone was just that - you used it to make and receive calls - not even texts -- I still even today HATE the whole idea of texts and the horrendous degradation of sensible language (in any language - not just English) that makes reading any sort of "prose" from youngsters almost unreadable with their hideous "textese" and appalling lack of sentence construction. If I see any more "UR" or even worse "COULD CARE LESS" when they quite obviously mean "COULDN'T CARE LESS" then I just disregard the whole article and refer them to doing the 140 byte Twitter B/S.

(Where I'm from the plural of a TWEET in the nearest English translation is called a "flower" which makes presumably "TWEETERS" into "TWATS" which I'm reliably informed means something quite different in English). !

Using the Android phone to me makes the whole idea of tablets etc unnecessary -- the screen on the phone is large enough for what I would use a tablet for anyway-- even the E-reader application is sufficient to use for a shortish trip say 2 - 3hrs max.

The point of this is to say that being 100% totally new to these devices didn't take me long to start using them in all sorts of ways I would never have dreamed of -- and I'm no youngster either.

W8 will go through the same scenario - but it DOES need MS 100% to "De-Uglify" the whole start screen and tiles.

As I said I question why the start screen has to be so horrendously UGLY -- looking like some old "Dinosaur app" from an AOL screen of 25 years ago. I could easily point MS in the direction of some young graphic designers who could really lighten up the hideous start screen -- allowing the developers to get the functionality right - without bothering what the final screen would look like.

Other than that W8 won't be the doom and gloom people predict.

Cheers
jimbo

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives