This will be Microsofts biggest ever flop, far bigger than Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why didn't they just retain the start bar on the desktop view, essentially making Windows 8 = Windows 7 + Metro. It would have made life infinitely easier.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Making things easier has never been the goal at Microsoft. They just add layers over layers of complications. It was already enough complicated for the average user to manage, tide up and use efficiently a Desktop. Now they will have to cope with a Desktop and a Start Screen. + you have the Metro apps working in a separate environement. Now you have softwares which are not working in framed windows. Full-screen only like old DOS softwares. That's crazy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
the PC will be extinct, like the typewriter and the vacuum tube.

Got news for you, neither the typewriter nor the vacuum tube are extinct. Both are still around. There are applications for both and it doesn't seem likely that either will vanish entirely in our lifetimes.

People said that mainframes would disappear too with the advent of the PC but, guess what, they are still out there.

As a professional writer, I would rather go back to pen and paper than try to write an article on an iPad, even with one of those crappy half sized keyboards.

Love it! :D Now you see why when someone expected me to keep answering to texts on a phone I told that source I prefer WLM or Skype over texting on the Stupid key pad a cell phone offers! Likewise "I" things may be hip with a younger crowd but not suitable for someone trying to do any serious work on pc!

The pc won't be extinct since a working desktop OS will always be in need even if MS abandons the idea completely where someone else will come in to fill the gap left behind. But seeing the RT OS from the new line of MS Tablet products imposed as the new desktop edition doesn' surfice the needs of any productive workstation by any means.

Someone from a private school was inquiring on how to cut the MS Apps crap out of the MS Store section as well as the Start screen to limit things as far as the school's own apps for students since MS left no options for making changes in the store area and I simply had to explain the right click to unpin to get rid of the larger Apps buttons from the Start.

Regardless of how you feel about 8 for many this version will simply be too awkward regardless of how fast you find your way around! Those extra steps for each little thing will become a bit tiresome fast for those that are accustomed to having everything they need wrapped right up in the Start menu>Programs menu including the Control Panel. You can sure the 3rd party addons will be a popular thing for the too be not popular version of Windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
the PC will be extinct, like the typewriter and the vacuum tube.

Got news for you, neither the typewriter nor the vacuum tube are extinct. Both are still around.

like if I don't know .... I just build a Tube amplifier last month , it's an expression, unless you are audiophile, you will not see vacuum tube too much around.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
Windows 8 Is a Desktop Disaster

I sat staring at the screen, my emotions lodged somewhere between dumbfounded and despondent. From what I was seeing, I knew I'd made a horrific mistake, and restitution must be made immediately. I'd been told time and time again there was no going back; what's done is done, you have to accept it, there's no living in the past. But a violation this total demanded from me only one response.
I had to uninstall Windows 8, and I had to do it immediately.

Windows 8 Is a Desktop Disaster | Matthew Murray | PCMag.com

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX8320
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD 7870
I must say I really love Windows 8. I have used every windows since 98 and I really like the new windows. It's not the same old desktop view that has been around since 98. You can play around with Metro or you can switch to the desktop view with ease. I spend 90% of my time on desktop, but playing with metro is just plain fun. I have a android phone, Ipad 2 and I love the new interface. I spend so much time on my ipad now adays it feels weird when I use windows 7. Some people may not like metro, but with the sales numbers of ipads and androids these days MS needed to make the desktop fun again for people and the younger crowd. Sure the app store leaves a lot to be desired for now, mainly better apps, apps from the major sites and better navigation to name a few things that it is lacking. But the nice thing is you do not have to use it if you do not want to. I see way to many people getting mad about metro, and I just want to say um you know you can go back to the desktop right, just click the tile that says desktop or win + D. I miss the start button to, but you can get around that easily enough. People need to realize this is how it is, you can either adapt or you can stay on win 7. But if you are trying windows 8 for the first time you need to fully embrace it, do not go in thinking this is windows 7.5 because it is not. This is windows for the next generation like it or not and it is here to stay on the home pc front at least.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 pro
Microsoft is heading the right way. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro, iOS 7.1, Elementary OS
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Apple
    Memory
    1 GB
    Screen Resolution
    2048x1536
    Other Info
    iPad Air
I feel a good desktop OS should be functional and not get in the users way. The OS should not be a playground but a way to quickly get to the programs the user needs. Windows 8 fails in this while Windows 7 does an excellent job. When Microsoft realizes they should not be selling a dumbed down OS for the desktop that was designed for a tablet then I will purchase that OS.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX8320
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD 7870
pmtechguy1999 said:
you can either adapt or you can stay on win 7
Exactely. Smart poeple adapt by downloading hacks to restore the normal Start Menu and disable Metro.
Of course there are always poeple who don't know they can do it, who don't know they can change things, like completely change of file explorer or internet browser. There will be poeple who will not knw (not immediately) that they can bypass Metro. Like some poeple still don;t know that you can bypass Google to find Facebook (by adding it to the favorites). LOL!
pmtechguy1999 said:
But the nice thing is you do not have to use it if you do not want to.
Yeah, definetly! How nice from MS to give us the option to look for an unofficial hack to get the options we want. LOL.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
I can't wait until Microsoft eventually updates 8 and all these hacks mysteriously stop working. The Start menu was removed and replaced for a reason.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Self built
    CPU
    Intel i3 3220 @ 3.3Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte H77M-D3H
    Memory
    Kingston Value RAM - 8GB DDR3 1333MHz CAS 9
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard Intel 2500
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA 2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq G2420 24" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1 x Samsung 256GB 830 SSD
    1 x Seagate 7200.12 500GB
    1 x Western Digital 3TB EZRX
    PSU
    Corsair CX 430 v2
    Case
    HAF 912 Advanced
    Cooling
    Stock - 1 x 12cm, 2 x 20cm
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Basic Wired 600
    Mouse
    Combo with keyboard
Think MS have totally lost the plot.

Six PCs in our house, couple XP, couple Vista, couple W7. Have always loved Vista (not slow once tweaked), and really love W7. I even changed a couple of graphics cards to get proper Aero.

On the phone/tablet side we have two Samsung Galaxy S phones and three Samsung Galaxy Tablets (not anti Ipad just prefer Galaxy.

So, downloaded Win8 and installed it in separate partition, really glad I didn't wipe my Win7. Have played around for a few days and set up all the thingies on Metro etc and have a couple of views.

1) Anyone who has used Samsung Galaxy products with the Touchwiz UI will be totally underwhelmed by Metro. As a tablet UI Metro is awful, its hard to use and totally flat. Touchwiz is intuitive and extremely pretty. The Surface will never gain any major share against Ipad and Android.

2) As a Desktop UI same comments. If I wanted a tablet like UI for my desktop I would instal Android x86. I have and its a pleasure to use especially is you are used to Android on the phone/tablet.

It makes even less sense when you click an app (Firefox, Tbird) and it jumps straight to desktop, why not just go there to start with. Talking about Start....oh enough said on that score.

3) As I said, love all the eye candy of Vista and Win7. MS have gone mad and stripped it all away to give us a Desktop that looks like Win98 but with a wee bit of colour. They probably did this to make it as fast as possible because Metro slows it down. This is a really boring desktop.

Summary?

Long live Win7 (prices for this on ebay will go through the roof as people buy PCs with Win8 and retrofit Win7.)

No company would go near metro.

Metro tablets will go the way of the Windows phones....what windows phones?

Apple, Samsung, and Google must be laughing there socks off.

Cheers from OZ, keep your chin up NY and Atlantic City

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8 pro
    hp DX7400
I feel an good desktop OS should be functional and not get in the users way. The OS should not be a playground but a way to quickly get to the programs the user needs. Windows 8 fails in this while Windows 7 does an excellent job. When Microsoft realizes they should not be selling a dumbed down OS for the desktop that was designed for a tablet then I will purchase that OS.

That sums it up quite well. When waiting for the next "Desktop" not Surface Tablet version to come out you expect to see a desktop OS to begin with. The problem now seen with 8 is this change is degressive not progressive when looking back 3.1 to 95 not 3.1 to 98 by the way.

Seeing the desktop load up automatically as well as improvements that worked out well where seen in 95 rather then typing in "win.exe" at the dos prompt to see the Windows application load up! You also started seeing things like IE included as well as Media Player. IE 1 and IE 2 being released back in 1995 with IE 3 out the following year first seeing IE included with 95PLUS! however.

OSR1 which these days would be like SP1 for 95 as well as the IE Starter Kit saw IE 2 start the ball rolling while by the 98 was out IE 4.0 came included with 98 1st Ed. and IE 5.0 with 98SE.You can refer to the Wiki page seen at Internet Explorer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As pointed out near the top of this thread I can repeat here about how awkward it is to be going back and forth between Start screen and desktop for each thing. If you want to open a second IE or other browser windows(while IE is pinned already on the taskbar) as an example you have to find the Start popup again to go back to the Start screen to open the second.

All programs spread out over a screen that will continuously scroll to the right for how long depending on how you have installed and then needing to look for a separate hidden tool bar rather then finding Settings>CP on a regular Start menu as well as "where the H is the shutdown button?"! Convoluted as the early blog writers uttered while the needless extra steps for each thing become tiresome very fast from a far less efficient gui to work with!

Tedious, cumbersome, and unproductive is the assessment of how this change is as far as the desktop is concerned. For your Android smart phone substitute feel free to jump on a Surface Tablet running RT. That is precisely what you are seeing on what MS calls an Windows 8 desktop version? Let's pretend MS made a mistake calling 8 Windows 8 by name when it should have been called "Windows RT Desktop edition"!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
Windows 8 fails in this while Windows 7 does an excellent job.

IMO, Windows 7 is a PIA. Don't need it, don't want it.

This is the worst version of Windows ever!... I want my money back!

There you go. Windows 8 is a PIA. Don't need it, don't want it.

If you want to open a second IE or other browser windows(while IE is pinned already on the taskbar) as an example you have to find the Start popup again to go back to the Start screen to open the second.

Why go back to the SS to open a second instance of IE? If it is pinned to the taskbar, right clicking IE opens as many instances of it as you might need. How many browsers do you need? Pin 2 or 3 browsers to the taskbar if that is what you need. There is no need to go back to the SS.

then needing to look for a separate hidden tool bar

Moving a pointer to the right side of the screen does not seem like a complex task.

Tedious, cumbersome, and unproductive is the assessment of how this change is as far as the desktop is concerned.

Ok. I don't think so.

All programs spread out over a screen that will continuously scroll to the right for how long depending on how you have installed

This is what semantic zooming is for. You could have 2000 programs installed. All in organized program groups on 1 screen. Click the title and the contents of that installation are centered on the screen.
Scrolling or sideways movement is not necessary. (apps area)

I’ve been trying out the Consumer Preview for a couple of days now and it looks as though MS have chosen to make using the desktop UI in Windows we all know as difficult and frustrating as possible.

MS must be deliberately and intentionally making the OS difficult to use.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
Win 8 Is Meant for Hand-helds, not for Computers

This is more than obvious. It could hardly be better for hand-held devices of any type, but it is completely useless for computers. Most configurations have been swept away by MS as if they were useless rubbish, in fact turning the OS itself into rubbish. Can you imagine enterprises buying expensive touch-screen monitors for their tens, hundreds or thousands of employees just for Microsoft's sake? If they were wishing to throw the money over the window and did that, can you imagine all that people on their jobs stretching their arms to touch their monitors? Can you figure that out?

Techrepublic.com has done a preliminary poll on 1.100 people on who is planning or not use or deploy Windows 8. The affirmative answers are about 25%, but we can easily suppose that most have not yet tried this new OS. They appreciate it on mobiles, so they believe it will be good for PCs, too. More probably they will change their opinion after trying it in a real working environment. Furthermore, it is a complete downgrade from the previous versions, except on what regards security and better kernel. It is also better for social contacts. However, nothing of this improves productivity. On the opposite, with screen changes and those stupid full screen applications that cannot run in a window, it will decreases productivity for sure. For Microsoft's commercial target this is like they are shooting their own feet.

People may like it or not, that is a natter of taste, and they are right if they do, but these are hard facts having nothing to do with likings. When people deciding on buying the OS for the enterprises will notice how this OS will degrade productivity, it won't be difficult to realise what their decisions will be.

I believe many people coming to these forums have more programs installed on their computers than the common user, many more that a hand-held user. We all know that almost all programs add their linked icons to the start menu when installed. It is not uncommon for a program to add three icons, some add less and most many more. I am sure many people here will have more than 20 applications installed on their PCs, either bigger or smaller. Each one will add its own icons to the Windows 8 start page. Imagine how many icons you will have. You can end up with hundreds of icons, or tiles. However, this is not all. We know that the icons names of any application rarely start all with the same letters, but on the start page the icons are listed alphabetically. Imagine how they are all mixed up like soup for pigs. Yes, we can type to find a link, but in Win 8 we are forbidden to search a link any other way, but by typing. They are so many all mixed up that we can't do it otherwise. The icons become absolutely useless, and the start page something that can be used by typing only. Very practical and productive, isn't it? Excellent for enterprises.

Consequently, it won't be difficult to believe that Ubuntu 12-10, released eight days before Win 8, is probably a better choice. It is normal that people does not care about what I will do, but I really don't know. If the problem was only the start menu it wouldn't be such an ugly case, but adding up the other things make it useless and worthless.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self built
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 II X3 440
    Motherboard
    M4A785TD-V EVO
    Memory
    Kingston kit 4GB DDR3 1333MHz (KVR1333D3N9K2/4)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus VH198S
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Barracuda ST3120022A ATA,
    Western Digital Black Caviar WD1002FAEX SATA,
    Western Digital WD800BB ATA,
    Samsung HD161HJ SATA-II.
    Case
    Standard
    Cooling
    Standard
    Keyboard
    Safeway SW-20
    Mouse
    Logitech v550 Nano
    Internet Speed
    24 Mbs (Factually 12 Mbs)
    Browser
    Firefox and Google Chrome
    Other Info
    PCI ATA-133 Adapter
    Parallel Port Card PCI - PU005V2
Win 8 Is Meant for Hand-helds, not for Computers ...
This is more than obvious.

You're joking. No it isn't. Geez. Meant for? 8 is a desktop OS, period.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-discussion/9190-suitable-enterprise.html
http://www.eightforums.com/general-discussion/9766-proper-desktop.html

We all know that almost all programs add their linked icons to the start menu when installed. It is not uncommon for a program to add three icons, some add less and most many more. I am sure many people here will have more than 20 applications installed on their PCs, either bigger or smaller. Each one will add its own icons to the Windows 8 start page. Imagine how many icons you will have. You can end up with hundreds of icons, or tiles.

BTW, Neophile, Welcome to the Eight Forums.

There is a difference between the Start Screen and all apps area.
http://www.eightforums.com/general-discussion/9789-all-apps-new-start-menu.html

Is your desktop littered with icons?
Is your SS littered with tiles?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
This is more than obvious. It could hardly be better for hand-held devices of any type, but it is completely useless for computers. Most configurations have been swept away by MS as if they were useless rubbish, in fact turning the OS itself into rubbish. Can you imagine enterprises buying expensive touch-screen monitors for their tens, hundreds or thousands of employees just for Microsoft's sake? If they were wishing to throw the money over the window and did that, can you imagine all that people on their jobs stretching their arms to touch their monitors? Can you figure that out?

Techrepublic.com has done a preliminary poll on 1.100 people on who is planning or not use or deploy Windows 8. The affirmative answers are about 25%, but we can easily suppose that most have not yet tried this new OS. They appreciate it on mobiles, so they believe it will be good for PCs, too. More probably they will change their opinion after trying it in a real working environment. Furthermore, it is a complete downgrade from the previous versions, except on what regards security and better kernel. It is also better for social contacts. However, nothing of this improves productivity. On the opposite, with screen changes and those stupid full screen applications that cannot run in a window, it will decreases productivity for sure. For Microsoft's commercial target this is like they are shooting their own feet.

People may like it or not, that is a natter of taste, and they are right if they do, but these are hard facts having nothing to do with likings. When people deciding on buying the OS for the enterprises will notice how this OS will degrade productivity, it won't be difficult to realise what their decisions will be.

<snip>

No. Just no. Nothing really changes. The Desktop still functions like a Desktop. The start screen can be reconfigured for all your apps like an oversized start menu. Productivity is the same. Your word processor is still a word processor. People just don't want to change and adapt. Win 8 also works fine with a keyboard and mouse. Shortcuts are still the way to go, as they have always been. Have you even used Win 8 for longer than 5 min?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Self built
    CPU
    Intel i3 3220 @ 3.3Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte H77M-D3H
    Memory
    Kingston Value RAM - 8GB DDR3 1333MHz CAS 9
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard Intel 2500
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA 2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq G2420 24" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1 x Samsung 256GB 830 SSD
    1 x Seagate 7200.12 500GB
    1 x Western Digital 3TB EZRX
    PSU
    Corsair CX 430 v2
    Case
    HAF 912 Advanced
    Cooling
    Stock - 1 x 12cm, 2 x 20cm
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Basic Wired 600
    Mouse
    Combo with keyboard
I don't agree that Windows 8 will be a flop. I think it will do very well, especially considering it has sold 4 million copies already (well, according to Microsoft anyway). I've used it from the consumer preview, and have been very satisfied. Windows 8 is the best of XP and Windows 7, and then more.

I remember when Windows 7 came out, and there was an epidemic of people were criticizing it and saying Windows XP was better. I was one of them, as I only used XP back then and it did the job. But after I got a new laptop with Win 7 and started using it, I really changed my views. So all I can say is, the same scenario is playing out here and many people who are not looking forward to Windows 8 will change their minds once they start using it. It really is a great OS in my opinion.

This thread's title is really off the mark.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
I don't know anyone who said w7 was not as good as xp and w7 had awesome word of mouth right out of the gate. Loads of people jumped on the betas and never looked back. W7 criticism was minimal to say the least.

Of course they are going to sell w8, they are practically giving it away for $15.00. Great show of confidence there MS, lol.

The best thing about w8 is you can 100% avoid that silly metro screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W7
MS offered a Win7 upgrade for $15, most OEMs gave it for free.
I got Win7 upgrades for $50, right after it was released. Now you can get Win8 upgrades for $40.
It's a standard sales promotion.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    76~2.0
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3570K 4.6GHz
    Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X UD3H f18
    Memory
    8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1600 CORSAIR Vengeance CL8 1.5v
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA VT2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LCD Dell SP2208WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samaung 840Pro 128GB, Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb, Seagate 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb,
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Cooler Master Storm Scout
    Cooling
    Corsair H80 w/Noctua NF P12 12cm fan, case fans 2X14cm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    CM Sentinel
    Internet Speed
    Abysmal
    Browser
    Opera Next
    Other Info
    Dell Venue 8Pro: Baytrail Z3740D, 2GB Ram, 64GB HDD, 8" IPS Display 1280 x 800, Active Stylus.
    Haswell laptop: HP Envy 17t-j, i7-4700MQ, GeForce 740M 2GB DDR3, 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080, 16GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, 1TB Hitachi 7200 HDD,
    Desktop: eSATA ports,
    External eSATA Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm,
Completely useless... maybe a touch of objectivity might prevail here. I've upgraded 3 of our four PCs to Windows 8 and am getting used to it. We moved to Windows phones a month ago and feel that they are much more user friendly than our previous Android phones. We haven't had that same wonderful feeling with Windows 8 yet but a few tweaks here and there and a bit of getting used to it is making me feel it's a worthwhile upgrade. I think the "style" feels "dumbed down" and a touch infantile - but that's much the way of things these days. It's early days - it will work in the end.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP Pavilion G6
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back