Vista was a flop so far as technical use and stability for the most part, but not as a revenue failure for MS. We know that and so did/does MS. However, they did make up for it with 7 in a very timely manner to make what? More revenue.
7 in the end was the "OS you can run out of the box" seeing less need for error fixing! MS put far more effort into seeing things done right from the start rather then the flop of XP SP3 1,000 fixed long awaited for and the misstatement of minimum system specs required allowing OEMs to sell undergrade systems with Vista preinstalled ending up with negative reaction.
As far as opinions there are as many as there are members on 8F! I knew from the start you would be hearing all sorts of them!
I jumped from 98SE on a Gateway to a new PC preloaded with Vista, so I don't know all the rest in between, although I heard from friends and read here and there about them. I'm a builder and was using a PC to run a business. So far as I'm concerned I was spending more time fixing the damn OS and other software running on it than I was using it. So from my point of view it was a flop. I was quite happy and relieved with 7 and continue to be.
That's not an opinion -> That's a fact!
Vista came in aa a much larger OS from start for you. You were fortunate to bypass XP while not so much 2000 Pro which would have been a good option years back to move up from 98. As far as 7 just about everybody knows how well that turned out!
As for 8 that was an instant disappointment here with the first look on. I still have it on a VM and plan to see another isolated stand alone install to try some ideas out. But to see it replace 7? Not in this life time!
- 1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
- Computer type
- System Manufacturer/Model
- Custom Builds
- AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
- Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
- Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
- Graphics Card(s)
- MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
- Sound Card
- Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
- Monitor(s) Displays
- Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
- Screen Resolution
- 1440x900 same on both builds
- Hard Drives
WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
WD Blue Sata II 500gb
WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
- Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
- Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
- 120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
- Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
- MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
- Internet Speed
- Other Info
- two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys