Solved The requested operation requires elevation

I would say your experience probably stems more from upgrading than anything else. I have beaten (on purpose) Windows 8 and find it to be just as reliable as Windows 7, but upgrades are ... and always have been ... "special".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
When I updated Windows XP to Vista straight to 7, because I could not do an upgrade straight from XP to 7, it was the best upgrade I ever did, it was on this machine. It was stable for years, and I never had any reason to "beat" it, it is the best OS MS ever made. I never had to tweak it, although I did for my preferences, not out of need like I had to do with Windows 8.

Windows 8 Immediate Needs, these are things that have to be done instantly or you go mad:

1) Yamicksoft Windows 8 Manager to shut off the Lock Screen and to make it go straight to Desktop mode and Auto-Login to your Skydrive Account.

2) Stardock Start 8 - The Start menu is a necessity and a requirement as is the Desktop, the desktop may as well be a TV with no Remote Control with NO Start Menu.

3) I just found an app that gave me my gagdets back. These are also a necessity, at least the few gadets I have become accustomed to, as in the Aida64 desktop gadget that monitors my system.

4) Turn the UAC control back down to 0.

Anything else is not a requirement. So, every time I install Windows 8, and it's been about 10 times so far, I developed the process and order in which I install these things- Which I should not have to install.

Windows 7? It was usable immediately. I did not have to install anything to give me back features that had been TAKEN AWAY. Windows 8 is basically wholly unusable until you get at least some kind of Start menu back and then you can drag out some icons to the desktop.

The Windows 8 Apps? As a tablet OS, I would hate to have to be stuck with this, the tablet apps are all worse the the worst Apple iOS app, the ones from China that are nothing but ads. I bought several apps relative to programs I run. ALL of them do not do as advertised, or fail to run outright. Between iOS and Windows 8, iOS wins every time.

One of the machines I installed this into had a touch-screen. So I can tell you first hand about the non-usability of the Windows 8 interface. As a Desktop PC? It's fast. As a Device OS? It's BAD.

Anyway I think I see how to get rid of my Dot Net, I have to do it through add and remove features.

There is a part of Dot Net 2 which is incompatible with something from the broken dot net 4 and 4.5, so I'll just take them all out and then put them back in and see what happens.

(Edit)- I took all dot net out save for 1.1. It was pretty easy, then I removed the problem program. I added dot nets 2 through 3.5 then 4 and 4.5- Now I'm checking for any updates. The problem I always had with windows 7 was removal of these things was a brutal process- it seems they have made it easier- There were no dot net security fixes, so I either can't see them or win 8 pulled the newest versions off the net, does it do that? Maybe the cache on my PC where the dot net components are stored is corrupt- my final fix is always the in-Place install.

With no dot net updates, ill reinstall the program and see if it works.

(Edit)-Nope, didn't work. Windows 8 removes its version of dot net, but probably does not touch what was left over from 7. So I'll take it out again, I'll have to go in and delete the leftovers manually, if I can find them.

You LUA program identified a dot net module called dw20 - it is part of dot net 2.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
1. Personal preference, but it could be done I suppose. Not very secure, though.

2. The start "Screen" is, at least in my opinion, superior to a desktop cascading menu in almost every way - until it gets full, and then the start screen has the same limitations as the old Win9x start menu (that could cascade into multiple columns forever).

3. I never got into gadgets, and given the horribly insecure platform to run them, I am sort of glad I didn't.

4. AppContainer for modern applications requires UAC, so giving a way to turn it off outside the registry actually makes sense - otherwise the vast majority of people who did that would find their modern/metro/whatever apps would stop working and not know why.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
I don't have anyone else in my house that may use my system, so I'm not worried about anyone getting in. Sometimes I do maintenance that requires 2, 3, up to 6 reboots in a row, and I want the system to go straight to the desktop. I do have accounts in systems elsewhere, where of course I don't use that feature. But when I am working on those systems, I set it up like this one to bypass the lockscreen and log in automatically, until I'm done, then I change it back. I always tell my customers, remove passwords or I'll do it for them, because of this same issue: I put the passwords back in when I am done. I can do this in Windows XP, Vista and 7, but where Windows 8 is different, it uses your Skydrive account. I've made local accounts in all of my machines in case of no internet connection.

I understand why people got skittish about Gadgets, some of them turned out to be horrendous viruses. The only ones I am interested in are those that monitor my system, like the one that comes with Aida64.

With Windows 8 you can NOT shut off the UAC, but you can put it down to zero. I'm totally unimpressed with this "Metro" stuff.

Windows 8, as a desktop, is superior in speed and security to Windows 7- I'm actually impressed. But trying to put the Metro stuff in there confuses the OS, and confuses the user. Apple made iOS for Tablet and Phone Only applications, Microsoft needs to do the same thing, not combine the two into one OS. And now the Store on Windows 8 is being populated with the same kind of worthless spamgames that you find in iOS, Metro gives these developers an opening into Windows they never had before. It's not really good for business, and it's not good for people who need the Desktop to work the way it worked before.

The Moment Microsoft totally removes the Desktop from any future OS, is the day I will move to Apple for good.

But those things are preferences, except for access to the desktop with a valid Start Menu. As long as there is a Desktop in Windows and apps that use it while in that mode, I will put my start menu back in. See, Vista squished all the links in to the start menu in one little area, but still allowed you to expand out if you wanted. Windows 7 gave you no choice. But just because the Windows 7 Start menu is inconvenient, does not mean it is something you can just delete from the OS, it's a requirement.

What Microsoft and Apple too forget, is that there are people who still do not have any kind of internet connection. Or, situations where the system must not be connected, a stand alone system. It's not really rare, either. I set up Informational Databases onto machines that stand alone in a reference library, and they cannot ever be connected, for Privacy's sake.

I haven't checked - Is there any version of Windows 8 that has the Metro interface totally gone? The last disk I got has a number of different versions on it, but I've just been using the Pro and Pro with Media Center. If there is a version with Metro gone, that's the version I want. In a way, I'm with Metro apps the way you are with Sidebar gadgets - I hate em. I have a bunch of them, but I do not find them useful, and when promising usefulness, they stop way short.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Thinix RetroUI - Looks good, has the ability to basically disable Metro. But it also installs a Start Menu, and I'm already using Start8.

Anyway, I've tried removing all of the dot net from this installation, and putting it back in and I still can't run this one program- I know it's a conflict between the dot net 4.5 that was in 7 and the dot net native in 8. You are right, all of the problems I've been having on this one machine are inherited from my Windows 7 Installation. I'll try an in-place install, if I can do it, if the disk I have lets me do it. I already tried upgrading this workstation to Windows 8 with Media Center and it will not allow me to do that, the only thing I can do is buy Media Center. So I'll try an In Place Install and see if that fixes my elevation problem.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Back