The next generation of Windows: Windows 10

ms-event-2015-01-21-win10-46-741x416.jpg

Today I had the honor of sharing new information about Windows 10, the new generation of Windows.
Our team shared more Windows 10 experiences and how Windows 10 will inspire new scenarios across the broadest range of devices, from big screens to small screens to no screens at all. You can catch the video on-demand presentation here.

Windows 10 is the first step to an era of more personal computing. This vision framed our work on Windows 10, where we are moving Windows from its heritage of enabling a single device – the PC – to a world that is more mobile, natural and grounded in trust. We believe your experiences should be mobile – not just your devices. Technology should be out of the way and your apps, services and content should move with you across devices, seamlessly and easily. In our connected and transparent world, we know that people care deeply about privacy – and so do we. That’s why everything we do puts you in control – because you are our customer, not our product. We also believe that interacting with technology should be as natural as interacting with people – using voice, pen, gestures and even gaze for the right interaction, in the right way, at the right time. These concepts led our development and you saw them come to life today.

Delivering Windows as a Service and a Free Upgrade to Windows 10

Today was a monumental day for us on the Windows team because we shared our desire to redefine the relationship we have with you – our customers. We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet.
And just like any Internet service, the idea of asking “What version are you on?” will cease to make sense – which is great news for our Windows developers. With universal Windows apps that work across the entire device family, developers can build one app that targets the broadest range of devices – including the PC, tablet, phone, Xbox, the Internet of Things, and more.

For our enterprise customers, we’ll continue to support the way many of them work today, with long-term servicing for their mission critical environments. With Windows 10, a best practice we recommend for many enterprise devices is to connect to Windows Update and be kept up-to-date with the latest security and productivity improvements as soon as they are available. You can learn more about our commitment to enterprises here, with much more to come in the following months.

Everything about Windows 10 – the experiences, delivering it as a service and the free upgrade – means ongoing value to all our customers. The new generation of Windows is a commitment—a commitment to liberate people from technology and enable them to do great things.

New Windows 10 Experiences

[video=youtube;teoZk3QEc40]https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421828030&x-yt-cl=84411374&v=teoZk3QEc40[/video]

Together with our Windows Insiders, we’re well way on our way to making Windows 10 the largest-ever open collaborative development effort Microsoft has ever shipped. Since we launched the Windows Insider Program in September, we’ve been joined by 1.7 million Windows Insiders, who have delivered over 800,000 pieces of feedback. We are truly co-creating the future of Windows with you and we’re humbled by your valuable role in this new open development process.
Windows10_Phone_Laptop-1C-500x285.png

Today, we shared new details on the experience coming to Windows 10, including:

Cortana, Microsoft’s personal digital assistant, comes to PC and tablet, for the first time with Windows 10.
Cortana learns your preferences to provide relevant recommendations, fast access to information, and important reminders. Interaction is natural and easy via talking or typing, with advanced features to control Cortana for more trustworthiness and transparency.

Windows 10 for phones and tablets – Windows 10 for phones and small tablets features a fast, fluid and familiar experience that seamlessly interacts with your PC.

A new web experience for Windows 10 – Code-named “Project Spartan,” the next generation browser was built with greater interoperability, reliability and discoverability, with a new look and feel built just for Windows 10. Advanced features include the ability to annotate by keyboard or pen directly on the webpage and easily share with friends, a reading view that is distraction free, displaying the article in a simplified layout for a great reading experience for Web articles online and offline, and the integration of Cortana for finding and doing things online faster.

Office universal apps on Windows 10 offer a consistent, touch-first experience across phone, tablet and PC with new versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and Outlook. Designed from the ground up to run on Windows, you can easily create and edit Word documents, annotate slides in real-time with new inking features or easily present PowerPoint presentations, and with new touch-first controls in Excel you can create or update spreadsheets without a keyboard or mouse. The next version of the Office desktop suite is also currently in development, more on this in the coming months.

New universal applications will ship with Windows 10, offering innovative new experience applications, consistent across the device continuum, for Photos, Videos, Music, Maps, People & Messaging, and Mail & Calendar. These built-in apps have an updated design that look and feel the same from app to app and device to device. Content is stored and synced through OneDrive, enabling you to start something on one device and continue it on another.

Xbox Live and the new Xbox App bring new game experiences to Windows 10. Xbox on Windows 10 lets gamers access the best of the expansive Xbox Live gaming network on both Windows 10 PCs and Xbox One. Players can capture, edit and share their greatest gaming moments with Game DVR, and play new games with friends across devices. Games developed for DirectX 12 in Windows 10 will see improvements in speed, efficiency and graphics capability. Players will also be able to play games on their PC, streamed directly from their Xbox One consoles to their Windows 10 tablets or PCs, within their home. Read more on Xbox Wire.

0114_OutWindows_tv19_011815-500x281.jpg

Continuum Mode:
On 2in1 devices, Windows 10 will move easily between keyboard/mouse and touch/tablet as it detects the transition and conveniently switches to the new mode.

These are just a few of the great experiences showcased today.
New Windows 10 Devices

But it’s not enough to deliver great software experiences. Windows 10 supports the broadest device family ever – from PCs, tablets and 2-in-1s to phones to Xbox and the Internet of Things. And today, we welcomed two new devices to the Windows 10 family: Microsoft Surface Hub and Microsoft HoloLens.

Windows 10 Showcases Holographic Future with Microsoft HoloLens
It was a special moment this morning when we were able to share that Windows 10 is the world’s first holographic computing platform – complete with a set of APIs that enable developers to create holographic experiences in the real world. With Windows 10, holograms are Windows universal apps and Windows universal apps can work as holograms, making it possible to place three-dimensional holograms in the world around you to communicate, create and explore in a manner that is far more personal and human.

Showcasing the possibilities of holograms in Windows 10, Microsoft HoloLens is the world’s first untethered holographic computer – no wires, phones or connection to a PC needed. Microsoft HoloLens allows you to view holograms in high definition and hear them in surround sound, even if they are behind you. And with advanced sensors, Microsoft HoloLens can see what you are looking at and understand what you are communicating with your hands and voice. By putting you at the center of the Windows 10 computing experience, Microsoft HoloLens allows you to create, access information, enjoy entertainment, and communicate in new and exciting ways.

Microsoft Surface Hub Unlocks the Power of Group Computing
From no screen to 84”, with Microsoft Surface Hub we introduced a new large screen device designed for the way teams in the workplace naturally interact and come together. Custom versions of Skype for Business and OneNote are integrated into the Windows 10 shell to take full advantage of the built in cameras, sensors and mics, as well as the new screen that was built from the ground up for ink and touch. The Surface Hub features state of the art digital white boarding, instant remote conferencing, the ability for multiple people to share and edit content on the screen from any device, and a trusted platform for large-screen apps. Available in two sizes – 55” and 84” – the Surface Hub removes the current limitations of traditional conference room scenarios to empower teams to create their best work together.

In Closing

Windows 10 will forge a new relationship between us and our customers – consumers, developers and enterprises. Today was an important next chapter of our Windows 10 story, but there is much more to come. Thank you for joining us on this journey. We’ll deliver the next chapters over the coming months at Game Developers Conference, WinHEC, Mobile World Congress and Build.

A special thank-you to our Windows Insiders – we couldn’t build Windows 10 without you. In the next week, we will release the latest build for Windows Insiders running the Windows 10 Technical Preview on PCs and expand availability to 25 more languages. And later in February, we’ll release our first technical preview for phones.

To learn more about Windows 10 and these exciting new devices, sign up for more information about the free upgrade, or to join the Windows Insider Program, please click here.
– Terry

Source: Microsoft - The next generation of Windows: Windows 10

See also:
http://www.tenforums.com/general-di...t-chapter-21st-jan-live-event-discussion.html

Windows 7 now gets a free upgrade?? I want my $40 refund... I think I'll wait for Windows 12 coming out next year, its 4 better then 8 and 2 better then 10.. LOL

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Hello All,

Does anyone know if the Media Center Pack will be transferred to Windows 10 or I just need to put the product key into the get more features link after upgrade?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Surface Pro 3
    CPU
    Core i5 4300U @ 1.9 GHz
    Motherboard
    Surface Pro 3
    Memory
    8092 MB DDR3-L 1.35 V SDRAM @ 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4400 @ 200 MHz
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in 3:2 display
    Screen Resolution
    2160 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    256 GB SSD + 128 GB micro SD
    PSU
    36 Watt power brick
    Cooling
    Active
    Keyboard
    On Screen Keyboard
    Mouse
    Surface pen
    Internet Speed
    300 / 20 TWC
    Browser
    IE 11 Metro, IE 11 Desktop
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Great news on the free upgrade. Hopefully that includes Windows 7 Starter Edition so i can upgrade my brother's netbook.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 (8" tablet)
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Toshiba Encore 8 (WT8-A)
Usually I've just stuck with whatever OS came with installed until my laptop died, then moved on. But I think I'll make a note to upgrade maybe 9 months after the official release - still well within the 'free' time limit but giving enough time to iron out early glitches (and get a wealth of knowledge built up on Ten Forums ready for any problems I [might :D] have).

I'm curious though - the statement says Windows 10 will be supported free (words to that effect) for the lifetime of the device. So that suggests new device means new (purchased) copy of Win 10 unless you go the OEM route. If the future is subscription services it would be nice if the OS was always free.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 64bit, Windows 10 TP on VMWare Player
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 15 3521
    CPU
    1.80 gigahertz Intel Core i5-3337U
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 0010T1 A00
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio & Intel Display Audio
    Hard Drives
    TOSHIBA MQ01ABD050 [Hard drive] (500.11 GB)
    Cooling
    Additional fan
    Mouse
    Kensington Trackball
    Browser
    IE
    Antivirus
    Emsisoft Internet Security, Malwarebytes free & antiexploit
... the statement says Windows 10 will be supported free (words to that effect) for the lifetime of the device. So that suggests new device means new (purchased) copy of Win 10 unless you go the OEM route. If the future is subscription services it would be nice if the OS was always free.

The news clips I've seen refer to "Window" not "Windows 10" being supported for the life of the device.

It seems that they are moving to a model where you buy (read: pay for) Windows once and then upgrades, whether dot releases or full versions, are free for the life of the device on which that copy of Windows was first installed. For most users, the Windows purchase will be an OEM purchase made as part of the cost of a new device with Windows pre-installed. Also, they are considering all Windows 7 and 8.1 installations as being eligible for the same "lifetime" upgrades. It's unclear whether the orphaned 8.0 installations will be directly upgradeable or whether they have to be upgraded to 8.1 before they can be upgraded to 10.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1u1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
I have StartisBack and ModernMix on two of my Windows 8.1 machines. They make the computer feel like Windows 7. Are there any people who are in the same boat as I am and have added StartisBack, Start8, ClassicShell, ModernMix etc. and feel (or are not ready to incorporate) Windows Metro screen into their PC, laptop and non-touch devices? I kind of feel Windows will abandon people using Windows 8.1 if they don't make the upgrade to Windows 10. I just want my computer to act like Windows 7 but faster. Any thoughts? Are there any people with older Windows 7 machines thinking of making the upgrade?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Simplyput7 ... Every Windows product has a lifecycle. The lifecycle begins when a product is released and ends when it's no longer supported. Knowing key dates in this lifecycle helps you make informed decisions about when to upgrade or make other changes to your software. Here are the rights and limits of the Windows lifecycle.

Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Windows Help

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell
In W10, can Metro apps be installed offline or only thru the store? Are there any store apps created by users that are free? Do you need to pay MS a license to post "free" apps to the store?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
In W10, can Metro apps be installed offline or only thru the store? Are there any store apps created by users that are free? Do you need to pay MS a license to post "free" apps to the store?
You could use google if you wanted. To answer you though, Yes, Yes, No.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
The news clips I've seen refer to "Window" not "Windows 10" being supported for the life of the device.

It seems that they are moving to a model where you buy (read: pay for) Windows once and then upgrades, whether dot releases or full versions, are free for the life of the device on which that copy of Windows was first installed. For most users, the Windows purchase will be an OEM purchase made as part of the cost of a new device with Windows pre-installed. Also, they are considering all Windows 7 and 8.1 installations as being eligible for the same "lifetime" upgrades. It's unclear whether the orphaned 8.0 installations will be directly upgradeable or whether they have to be upgraded to 8.1 before they can be upgraded to 10.

Yes, I think 'Windows' and 'Spartan' browser is all they will be called in future with no serial edition name; W10 and IE11 are the last to be named as such.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 with Bing x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire ES1-512-CSYW
    CPU
    Intel Celeron N2840 @ 2.16GHz
    Motherboard
    Acer Aspire ES1-512 BIOS: Insyde Corps V1.07
    Memory
    4GB DDR3L SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD
    Internet Speed
    10Mb/s 3 Network HSPA+
    Browser
    IE11 and Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
It is a shame "Spartan" is not released to try yet. I'd like to see it. Otherwise Windows 10 looks pretty good so far.

I doubt you'll find existing features become chargeable. More likely there will be new ones we have to pay for or Siri will not work terribly well. (I know).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
... Otherwise Windows 10 looks pretty good so far.

W8.0/8.1 seems to be the new Vista and W10 will be the next W7. I suspect part of the problem with negativity towards W8 is that some budget machines are under-powered memory-wise, like in the Vista days when Vista machines were rolled out with only 1 gig memory when it needed 2 ...W8.1 needs 3+ and 2gig machines are being rolled out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 with Bing x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire ES1-512-CSYW
    CPU
    Intel Celeron N2840 @ 2.16GHz
    Motherboard
    Acer Aspire ES1-512 BIOS: Insyde Corps V1.07
    Memory
    4GB DDR3L SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD
    Internet Speed
    10Mb/s 3 Network HSPA+
    Browser
    IE11 and Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
You could use google if you wanted. To answer you though, Yes, Yes, No.

Groovy. I'm trying to think of an app I can create that takes advantage of "live contents" that I would actually need/use. Can't seem to think of any at the moment. Metro is a cool idea, but only if you're on a tablet and interacting with it requires a large clickable surface...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
I have StartisBack and ModernMix on two of my Windows 8.1 machines. They make the computer feel like Windows 7. Are there any people who are in the same boat as I am and have added StartisBack, Start8, ClassicShell, ModernMix etc. and feel (or are not ready to incorporate) Windows Metro screen into their PC, laptop and non-touch devices? I kind of feel Windows will abandon people using Windows 8.1 if they don't make the upgrade to Windows 10. I just want my computer to act like Windows 7 but faster. Any thoughts? Are there any people with older Windows 7 machines thinking of making the upgrade?

Well I have upgraded an Asus P7P55D -Pro computer to Win 8.1, ASUS doesn't support Win 8 for it. I have been able to get everything to run on it. I had to trick Window 8.1 into running some of the Asus Software to run. Otherwise it runs fine. I learned about ClassicShell early on and how to eliminate metro and start screen I will have upgraded MB/CPU on that Workstation before 10 goes mainstream. Personally I like the power that Classic Shell gives you over the start menu I'll probably keep it even moving to 10 later on. I haven't experienced anything negative at all.
My upgrade paths have been pretty standard I think. From early windows to Windows 95, what a struggle that was. I have bought 1 copy of ME installed it and uninstalled the next day and never looked back on that one. To me Windows 2000 was a miracle I stayed on it until XP was at SP3 Skipped Visa except for a notebook I got stuck with. Win 7 is great, Win 8.1 is great with tweaks win 10 remains to be seen. I think I'll wait until they have the free upgrade to 10 pro before I update my ageing notebook.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3610QM / I7-4790K
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes
[video=youtube;qzZL63lNS_8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzZL63lNS_8#t=35[/video]

Can anyone confirm? Is this how the Start Menu looks and behaves on the most latest build? What ever happened to the cool hierachy structure, Windows-7-like structure of "all apps" I saw on an early video of W10 start menu?

To be honest, the start menu in the above vid looks more f****d up than the W8 all apps screen...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
[video=youtube;qzZL63lNS_8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzZL63lNS_8#t=35[/video]

Can anyone confirm? Is this how the Start Menu looks and behaves on the most latest build? What ever happened to the cool hierachy structure, Windows-7-like structure of "all apps" I saw on an early video of W10 start menu?

To be honest, the start menu in the above vid looks more f****d up than the W8 all apps screen...

That YouTube! video will not open.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer Aspire X (AXC-603-UW12)
    CPU
    Intel Celeron J1850 @ 1.99GHz
    Motherboard
    Acer Aspire XC-603G (SOCKET 0)
    Memory
    4.00GB DDR3 @ 551MHz (9-7-7-14)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics (Acer Incorporated [ALI])
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer S200HQL
    Screen Resolution
    (1600x900@60Hz)
    Keyboard
    Acer Wired Keyboard
    Mouse
    Acer USB Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    High Speed Internet
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
I couldn't get 10 running on VMware Player and gave up weeks ago. Such a loser. :huh:

Kept locking up my laptop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Generic PnP Display on Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer S200HQL
    Screen Resolution
    (1600x900@60Hz)
    Keyboard
    Acer Wired Keyboard
    Mouse
    Acer USB Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    High Speed Internet
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Safari (Phone's mobile browser) let me watch it. I think Windows 10 is going to be a hit.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer S200HQL
    Screen Resolution
    (1600x900@60Hz)
    Keyboard
    Acer Wired Keyboard
    Mouse
    Acer USB Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    High Speed Internet