Take Ownership of a File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 8

How to "Take Ownership" of a File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 8 and 8.1

information   Information
This will show you how to take ownership of a file, folder, drive, registry key objects to control how access permissions are set on the object and for what users and groups permissions are granted in Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1, and Windows RT 8.1.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do the steps below to take ownership of an item.

warning   Warning
DO NOT take ownership of the Windows 8 C: drive.

Doing so, could result in Windows 8 becoming very unstable.

CONTENTS:

• Option One: Take Ownership and Permission of an Object from the Context Menu
  • Option Two: Take Ownership of an Object using TAKEOWN Command
  • Option Three: Take Ownership of an Object using ICACLS Command
  • Option Four: To Manually Take Ownership of Object in Advanced Security Settings

OPTION ONE

Take Ownership and Permission of an Object from the Context Menu

NOTE: This option will quickly grant your administrator account ownership of a file, folder (and contents), or drive (and contents), and grant "full control" permission to the administrators group by right clicking on the file, folder, or drive and clicking on Take Ownership.

1. For how, see: How to Add "Take Ownership" to the Context Menu in Windows 8

2. Afterwards, you or members of the administrators group will now be able to grant access permissions for this file, folder, or drive if you like.

OPTION TWO

Take Ownership of an Object using TAKEOWN Command

NOTE: You could also type takeown /? in the elevated command prompt for a complete list of available switches and options that you could use with the takeown command.

1. Open an elevated command prompt, and do step 2, 3, or 4 below depending on what object you would like to take ownership of.

2. To Take Ownership of a File using TAKEOWN Command

A) In the elevated command prompt, type the command you want below, press Enter, and go to step 5 below.
NOTE: Substitute full path of file with file extension with the actual full path of the file with it's file extension that you want to take ownership of within quotes.

(To grant currently logged on user ownership of)

takeown /F "full path of file with file extension"

(To grant administrators group ownership of)

takeown /F "full path of file with file extension" /A

For example:

takeown /F "C:\Windows\file.exe" /A

3. To Take Ownership of All Files with the same File Extension in a Folder or Drive using TAKEOWN Command

A) In the elevated command prompt, type the command you want below, press Enter, and go to step 5 below.
NOTE: Substitute full path of folder or drive with the full path of the folder or drive letter, and substitute file extension with the actual file extention that you want to take ownership of within quotes.

takeown /F "full path of folder or drive\*.file extension"

takeown /F "full path of folder or drive\*.file extension" /A

For example:

takeown /F "C:\Windows\*.txt" /A

4. To Take Ownership of a Folder or Drive using TAKEOWN Command
NOTE: This command will take ownership of the folder or drive, and all files and subfolders in the folder or drive.

NOTE: Substitute full path of folder or drive with the full path of the folder or drive letter that you want to take ownership of within quotes.

takeown /F "full path of folder or drive" /R /D Y

takeown /F "full path of folder or drive" /A /R /D Y

For example:

takeown /F "F:" /A /R /D Y

takeown /F "F:\Folder" /A /R /D Y

5. When finished, close the elevated command prompt.

6. You or members of the administrators group will now be able to grant access permissions for this file, folder, or drive if you like.

OPTION THREE

Take Ownership of an Object using ICACLS Command

NOTE: You could also type icacls /? in the elevated command prompt for a complete list of availble switches and options that you could use with the icacls command.

1. Open an elevated command prompt, and do step 2, 3, 4, or 5 below depending on what object you would like to take ownership of.

2. To Take Ownership of a File using ICACLS Command

A) In the elevated command prompt, type the command you want below, press Enter, and go to step 6 below.

Note   Note
Substitute full path of file with file extension with the actual full path of the file with it's file extension that you want to take ownership of within quotes.

Note   Note

Substitute user name with the actual user name of the user account you want to set as owner within quotes. For a Microsoft account, you would use the email address as the user name.

(To set any user as owner)

icacls "full path of file with file extension" /setowner "user name" /T /C

(To set administrators group as owner)

icacls "full path of file with file extension" /setowner "Administrators" /T /C

(To set TrustedInstaller as owner)

icacls "full path of file with file extension" /setowner "NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller" /T /C

For example:

icacls "C:\Windows\file.exe" /setowner "Administrators" /T /C

3. To Take Ownership of All Files with the same File Extension in a Folder or Drive using ICACLS Command

A) In the elevated command prompt, type the command you want below, press Enter, and go to step 6 below.

Note   Note
Substitute full path of folder or drive with the full path of the folder or drive letter, and substitute file extension with the actual file extension that you want to take ownership of within quotes.

Note   Note

Substitute user name with the actual user name of the user account you want to set as owner within quotes. For a Microsoft account, you would use the email address as the user name.

icacls "full path of folder or drive\*.file extension" /setowner "user name" /T /C

icacls "full path of folder or drive\*.file extension" /setowner "Administrators" /T /C

Code:
[B]icacls "[COLOR=red]full path of folder or drive[COLOR=#222222]\*.[/COLOR][COLOR=red]file extension[/COLOR][/COLOR]" /setowner "NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller" /T /C[/B]

For example:

icacls "C:\Windows\*.txt" /setowner "Administrators" /T /C

4. To Take Ownership of a Folder or Drive and All Contents using ICACLS Command

Note   Note
Substitute full path of folder or drive with the full path of the folder or drive letter that you want to take ownership of within quotes.

Note   Note

icacls "full path of folder or drive" /setowner "user name" /T /C

icacls "full path of folder or drive" /setowner "Administrators" /T /C

icacls "full path of folder or drive" /setowner "NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller" /T /C

For example:

icacls "C:\Windows\Folder" /setowner "Administrators" /T /C

5. To Take Ownership of Only a Folder or Drive using ICACLS Command

Note   Note
Substitute full path of folder or drive with the full path of the folder or drive letter that you want to take ownership of within quotes.

Note   Note

icacls "full path of folder or drive" /setowner "user name" /C

icacls "full path of folder or drive" /setowner "Administrators" /C

icacls "full path of folder or drive" /setowner "NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller" /C

For example:

icacls "C:\Windows\Folder" /setowner "Administrators" /C

6. When finished, close the elevated command prompt.

7. You or members of the administrators group will now be able to grant access permissions for this file, folder, or drive if you like.

OPTION FOUR

To Manually Take Ownership of Object in Advanced Security Settings

1. Do step 2 or 3 below depending on what object you would like to take ownership of.

2. To Take Ownership of a File, Folder, or Drive in Advanced Properties

A) Right click or press and hold on the file, folder, or drive that you want to grant a user or group ownership of, click/tap on Properties, and go to step 4 below.

OR

B) Select a file, folder, or open a drive that you want to grant a user or group ownership of, click/tap on the Share tab, click/tap on the Advanced security button in the ribbon, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

ribbon.jpg

3. To Take Ownership of a Registry Key in Advanced Properties

A) In the left pane of Registry Editor (regedit), right click or press and hold on the registry key that you want to grant a user or group ownership of, click/tap on Permissions, and go to step 4 below. (see screenshot below)

Ownership-1-Registry.jpg

4. Click/tap on the Security tab, and click/tap on the Advanced button. (see screenshots below)

Note   Note
If you see the top screenshot below, then it means that you have access to this item, and can change the owner to any user or group you like.

If you see the bottom screenshot below, then it means that your user account does not have at least Read permission for this item. Basically, no access rights. When you get to step 9 below, you will need to select your user account name to change the owner to.

Ownership-1-File_Folder_Drive.jpg

No_Permission-1.png

5. At the top to the right of the current Owner, click/tap on the Change link. (see screenshot below)

Ownership-2.jpg

6. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes.

7. Click/tap on the Advanced button. (see screenshot below)

Note   Note
If you wanted to set the Administrators group as the owner, then type Administrators in the "Enter the object name to select" box, and go to step 10 below instead.

If you wanted to set TrustedInstaller as the owner, then type this below in the "Enter the object name to select" box, and go to step 10 below instead.

NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller

Ownership-3.jpg

8. Click/tap on the Find Now button. (see screenshot below)

Ownership-4.jpg

9. At the bottom under the Name column, select a user (username) or group that you would like to grant ownership to, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: This would normally be your administrator account's name, or the administrators group.

Ownership-5.jpg

10. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Ownership-6.jpg

11. If this is a folder, drive, or registry key, then you will also have the option to check the Replace owner of subcontainers and objects box to also change the ownership of the folder/drive contents or registry key subkeys as well if you like. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: A file will not have this option available.

Ownership-7.jpg

12. Verify that the new owner is correct, and click/tap on OK to apply. (see screenshot above)

13. If prompted, click/tap on Yes. (see screenshot below)

Ownership-8.jpg

14. You and the owner (set at step 9), will now be able to grant access permissions for this file, folder, drive, or registry key if you like.
NOTE: See OPTION TWO in the link in this step.

That's it,
Shawn

Attachments

• Control_Panel-2.png
    Control_Panel-2.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 463
Last edited by a moderator:
What a fantastic programme!

I was having real problems restoring a WD passport backup to my new Win 8 PC but your tutorial and software sorted it out painlessly.

Thanks very much.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
You're most welcome Alan, and welcome to Eight Forums. I'm glad it was able to help. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
hi brink,
when I tried to take the owner ship of entire drive d, it follows, but with "error trying to give permission to D:\system volume information"

tried all trial and error methods, created another admin account, removed all existing account permissions, then giving control to the newly created admin account, but still no luck, most of the internal files still shown in greyed entries....is there any other way, I've around 30 GB data in it...it still seems there's no option to format it with win7, get back the data to drive and install win8, I've thought about it, I would have done it long back, I used to play the same way while around with XP/win7, but in win8, I've done with so much customization, downloaded so many apps, that's why I've double thoughts of formatting it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G 580
    CPU
    I3 2.3
    Motherboard
    Intel HM 65
    Memory
    4 DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 3000
    Browser
    Chrome 25
    Antivirus
    AVG IS 2013
Fanwin,

You don't want to delete the "system volume information" folder. It is a needed Windows protected system file.

The only way is to format the drive. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
this is was not fresh..please see my (fanwin) old entries

This was in continuation with the windows 8 folder permission greyed, can you please look back my old entries starting from 27mar, I've not correctly replied to the old thread,

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G 580
    CPU
    I3 2.3
    Motherboard
    Intel HM 65
    Memory
    4 DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 3000
    Browser
    Chrome 25
    Antivirus
    AVG IS 2013
Internal Folders of D:\System Volume Information are greyd

Just as a test, take ownership of the entire D: drive, and set permissions to "Allow" "Full Control" for your account or Administrators. Afterwards, see if you have the same issue.
quoted"hi brink, when I tried to take the owner ship of entire drive d, it follows, but with "error trying to give permission to D:\system volume information"tried all trial and error methods, created another admin account, removed all existing account permissions, then giving control to the newly created admin account, but still no luck, most of the internal files still shown in greyed entries....is there any other way, I've around 30 GB data in it...it still seems there's no option to format it with win7, get back the data to drive and install Windows 8, I've thought about it, I would have done it long back, I used to play the same way while around with XP/win7, but in Windows 8, I've done with so much customization, downloaded so many apps, that's why I've double thoughts of formatting it."now....I've achieved something..I took owner ship of all individuals files that are greyed in D:\System Volume Infomation\.., but only able to copy (unable to cut/delete) those files (>25 GB) to D:\ drive...30 GB of redundant data in D drive..ok no probs..half work done...I can remove it later when format next time...or keep trying..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G 580
    CPU
    I3 2.3
    Motherboard
    Intel HM 65
    Memory
    4 DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 3000
    Browser
    Chrome 25
    Antivirus
    AVG IS 2013
Do note that each NTFS formatted drive will have a hidden protected OS "System Volume Information" folder on it. It's used by Windows. You should not be saving anything in the "System Volume Information" folder to prevent possible issues with that drive.

I thought D: was just a data drive, and is why I was recommending to copy the data to another location, format the D: drive, and copy the data back.

Since you have Windows 8 on it, I suppose that you could try deleting the files in the "System Volume Information" folder in an elevated command prompt or command prompt at boot.

Be sure that you only delete the files you saved into it, and not any other system file. If you delete a needed system file in it, then you risk having to format the drive to fix it. I would highly recommend to backup anything that you do not want to lose on the D: drive before doing this to be safe in case a mistake is made and you lose everything on the D: drive.

I was able to delete an added .txt file from the "System Volume Information" folder using an elevated command prompt.
At boot, the drive letters may not be the same as they are in Windows, so be sure to verify that you have the correct drive letter before trying to delete anything.

Hope this helps. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Do note that each NTFS formatted drive will have a hidden protected OS "System Volume Information" folder on it. It's used by Windows. You should not be saving anything in the "System Volume Information" folder to prevent possible issues with that drive. I thought D: was just a data drive, and is why I was recommending to copy the data to another location, format the D: drive, and copy the data back.Since you have Windows 8 on it, I suppose that you could try deleting the files in the "System Volume Information" folder in an elevated command prompt or command prompt at boot. Be sure that you only delete the files you saved into it, and not any other system file. If you delete a needed system file in it, then you risk having to format the drive to fix it. I would highly recommend to backup anything that you do not want to lose on the D: drive before doing this to be safe in case a mistake is made and you lose everything on the D: drive.I was able to delete an added .txt file from the "System Volume Information" folder using an elevated command prompt.At boot, the drive letters may not be the same as they are in Windows, so be sure to verify that you have the correct drive letter before trying to delete anything.Hope this helps. :)
hi brink, my name is fanwinIf I have to write entirely about my problem, it takes so much of space and time please have a look at my entries in page from 3 and 4, with screen shots, I was able to play around with System Volume Information without disturbing my system in XP/7, I used to just hide my files/rename/cut/delete/ in it, because no one knows and goes there, the problem raises only in win8, after once after upgraded from 7 and even in new win8 installation,I followed the steps above, deleting from cmd, still nothing works for my personal files and folders, yes able to delete only text files that are created just now for to delete, it is not even allowing a name change like "sample.txt", I've to keep as it as be it TXT or RAR or ZIP file, that is the issue form the beginning, only 'read' and no cut/rename/delete is working inside this "System Voume Information"..please see my entries (last entry in page 3, and 4,5).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G 580
    CPU
    I3 2.3
    Motherboard
    Intel HM 65
    Memory
    4 DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 3000
    Browser
    Chrome 25
    Antivirus
    AVG IS 2013
Fanwin,

I've read all of your posts, and know that you are only wanting to delete the files you added into your "D:\System Volume Information" folder. :)

Have you already tried deleting them in a command prompt at boot?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
yes, unable to delete any of the old files except created just now...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G 580
    CPU
    I3 2.3
    Motherboard
    Intel HM 65
    Memory
    4 DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 3000
    Browser
    Chrome 25
    Antivirus
    AVG IS 2013
yes, unable to delete any of the old files except created just now...

If not already, manually take ownership of and set permissions of each individual file instead of the folder or drive to see if you may be able to delete them in either an elevated command prompt or command prompt at boot afterwards.

Be sure to also "disable inherited permissions" of each added file. This will strip the permissions of the file inherited from the folder or drive, and only have explicit permissions for the file itself left.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
If not already, manually take ownership of and set permissions of each individual file instead of the folder or drive to see if you may be able to delete them in either an elevated command prompt or command prompt at boot afterwards.

Be sure to also "disable inherited permissions" of each added file. This will strip the permissions of the file inherited from the folder or drive, and only have explicit permissions for the file itself left.

<br>
some luck through "cmd at boot"
<br>
Before running this command "System Volume Information" has user-admin permissions (my-name/administrator), I've logged into CMD with my user/admin account, there I got the message "Access Denied" for my every command. But to my surprise when logged into built-in-administrator, the following command worked like a charm

DEL /F /S /Q /A "E:\System Volume Information\folder2delete\*", when I logged back into windows normally, I could see all folders empty (0 bytes, 1346 folders)...thanks at least it has freed up my space around 12 GB, I wanted to try it on other folders too..no luck....able to delete only one folder
<br>
RD /S /Q " Full path " is also not working to remove the entire folders

<br>
then I thought giving owner permissions to built-in-admin in windows mode, went back to CMD, this time "access denied" welcomes again for every entry..
<br>
I already tried manually taking ownership for each folder is already been tried before coming to this forum..
<br>
now I'm thinking of the culprit/corrupted file "tracker.log", If I could delete/rename this file, I can successfully get the ownership of D:\System Volume Information", (It may not be possible though, when I tried with XP/7, it should has at least one tracker file for windows running session, unless restore is off)
<br>
trials goes..on ...and on....and on....and on...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G 580
    CPU
    I3 2.3
    Motherboard
    Intel HM 65
    Memory
    4 DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 3000
    Browser
    Chrome 25
    Antivirus
    AVG IS 2013

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
I did it in CMD prompt

It sounds like you may not be opening an "elevated" command prompt, but just a normal "unelevated" one instead. You will need to right click on the command prompt shortcut or cmd.exe file, and click on "Run as administrator" first.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2754-elevated-command-prompt-open-windows-8-a.html

I was able do that all things by using "Command Prompt at Boot" (Win8/Advanced Tools), not in windows itself. Do we have elevated in boot mode also...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G 580
    CPU
    I3 2.3
    Motherboard
    Intel HM 65
    Memory
    4 DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 3000
    Browser
    Chrome 25
    Antivirus
    AVG IS 2013
Command prompt at boot is outside Windows, so it's more than elevated. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Appreciate ALL the tutorials Brink.
I was working thru this one How to Add or Remove "Libraries" from the Navigation Pane in Windows 8 Explorer
and step 4 sent me to this one.

When I try to take ownership of Shell Folder my choices don't match yours exactly and I know better than assume anything while working in registry.

what should I do to continue taking ownership of the Shell Folder?
Screenshot (76).png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
Hello Ron,

No worries. It's normal for the listed groups and accounts to vary a bit for what you are trying to set permissions of.

For what you are wanting to do, you would set permissions for the Administrators group to allow "Full control" of the ShellFolder key.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Single user

On my home desktop I am the only user and am the "Administrator".
It looks like this precludes ever having to change ownership. Is that true?

BTW, the system occasionally asks for permission to perform the operation that I had requested, such as moving files. Is there a method to turn off those requests? I am willing to take the risk of having to correct the errors.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
    HP p7-1520t
    CPU
    Int i5-3330
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    int Sandy Bridge
    Sound Card
    HP Beats Audio
    Hard Drives
    1 gb, 500mb
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    6 mb
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    Win Defender
Hello Helek, and welcome to Eight Forums.

No. System files are restricted, so you would still have to take ownership and apply permissions for these if you ever wanted to modify them.

The request for permission is for the same reason that system files are restricted and you must give elevated permission to allow.

Your account is an unelevated administrator, and you would still need to say YES to UAC to give elevated permission when asked.

Hope this helps, :)
Shawn

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,