Swapped HDD from Old laptop to new one -- W8 worked perfectly !!!!!

jimbo45

VIP Member
Guru
Hi all
I removed a 500 GB HDD from Old SLOW Lenovo laptop with AMD slow processor with all my apps installed and replaced it into a Sony VAIO new laptop with I5 core . The Sony came pre-installed with W7 Home premium and an HDD of only 320 GB but had 8GB RAM.

Guess what -- Computer booted up perfectly --did a few updates and was good to go with W8 dev edition x-64 from the old laptop. Windows connected to the Internet and did some hardware updates such as Intel Graphics instead ofd the AMD ones and it runs absolutely fine - with all my apps like office, photoshop etc etc.

Not the recommended way of installing an OS but it worked and save HOURS of time -- for 10 mins to swap the HDD's on the laptops.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I'm not surprised, i don't know how to explain or proved it but i believe WDP is nothing more than a "template" OS, a VM if you like. Test will be with the RTM.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CP
Windows 7 can do the same thing (will have to reactivate)....reminds me of the time I installed a old drive with Windows 95 on it. Instead of skipping over it and going to the cd drive, it booted up 95

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Developer 32 bit
    System Manufacturer/Model
    junk system
    CPU
    3200+ 2.2 gig Amd
    Memory
    1 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    8500 GT