Surface 2: Everything that's wrong with Microsoft's model

Microsoft on Sept. 23 will launch its Surface 2 and Surface 2 Pro devices---known around here as YAFS (yet another financial sinkhole)---and we're likely to see a refresh and some modest improvements. Let's give Microsoft props for its persistence, but the company's latest devices and services business model are a case of skating to the puck where it used to be and not where it's going.
Surface 2: Everything that's wrong with Microsoft's model | ZDNet

Yep. Those people are buying iPads.

Yes. Because they don't know any better.

These guys among the 'don't know any better' ? American Airlines Completes Electronic Flight Bag Implementation :: American Airlines Newsroom
Am no apple fan, just an example of these things being far more than toys, and a serious competition to MS.

AA has limited vision. We'll probably see the pilots playing games while piloting precious lives.:roflmao:

Now Delta, they want to keep people alive while actually doing work. All without the need for extra bulky cases/stands and flimsy keyboard attachments designed as an afterthought and second in function.

Delta loves Windows 8 - will equip pilots with Surface 2 tablets

By Michael Archambault, Thursday, Sep 26, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Delta%20Airlines.jpg

Last month, Delta decided to equip 19,000 of their flight attendants with Windows Phone devices; the move allowed attendants to access a new point of sale system built upon the Microsoft Dynamics for Retail platform. This month Delta has also decided to equip its pilots with Windows tablets, but not the Nokia “Sirius” tablet it had originally planned.
Delta has announced they will be equipping their pilots with Microsoft Surface 2 tablets. The transition is an effort by the company to go green and paperless. Electronic flight information will allow data to be updated and changed as needed, as well as being fully manageable by Delta.
According to a spokesperson from Delta, “In less than two years, Delta cockpits will be paperless as we roll-out the Microsoft Surface 2 tablet running Windows 8.1 RT as our company-issued devices.” The company has stated that the rollout will begin with their 757 and 767 fleets and eventually spread to their 777, 747, and MD88 planes.
Surface%202_0.png

As of now, Delta pilots are allowed to bring their own tablets, mainly iPads, into the cockpit with them to help manage flights. The company hopes to shift away from the current Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) policy and have their pilots switch to company-issued devices.
The fact that tablets are currently being allowed in cockpits, is causing a controversial concern over whether or not pilots are actually doing their job or just enjoying a bit of in-flight entertainment. Devices issued by Delta itself, could use group policies to ensure those using the devices are using them for what they are intended for.
Microsoft has no plans to kill off Windows RT and the “lonely operating system” might find a home for itself within enterprise environments where cheap, yet productive tablets, are a growing need.
Let us just hope Delta does not blue screen on my next domestic flight.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, i5 2500K overclocked PC
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC
What's the problem here must airplane manufactures today design their aircraft to fly on auto pilot. Heck must of today's aircraft can be programed prior to take off to fly themselves to a specific air field and land its self. So if a pilot plays a few games on a tablet or smart phone what's the big deal.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
What's the problem here must airplane manufactures today design their aircraft to fly on auto pilot. Heck must of today's aircraft can be programed prior to take off to fly themselves to a specific air field and land its self. So if a pilot plays a few games on a tablet or smart phone what's the big deal.

Hoping the auto pilot does not blue screen while he is playing that game.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
Anymore cliche and this forum may puke all over itself. :sick:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
To me, the reason why the Surface Pro (or a product like it from another manufacturer) will eventually be a huge success is this: -

Lots of people are buying tablets. The sales are projected to overtake laptops this year. People like them as consumption devices and for a bit of casual browsing, gaming etc. But for a lot of people, a tablet will not replace a PC because it's not very good if you actually want to do any proper work on it.

So to me, the future is devices like this. That's why I think Windows 8 is designed in the way it was. If you are using the device as a tablet, you have the touch-screen friendly Metro environment. If you want to do more serious work, you can hook it up to a monitor and use a proper keyboard and mouse, run desktop apps etc.

I think maybe they should have made more laptop-like keyboards for it. They could have had an ad where someone is using it like a laptop on a train, then someone is sitting on the couch using it as a tablet to play Angry Birds, then someone has it connected to a big monitor with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse attached while working on a spreadsheet or whatever, then someone has it hooked up to a TV via HDMI to watch a movie etc.. They need to push the point that this isn't just a more expensive iPad. It's a full computer that can replace your desktop and laptop as well. Sure, there may be people here thinking "well, it wouldn't replace my computer because of X and Y", say, someone might be a hardcore gamer and need a really powerful GPU, but those are minority cases.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus V Gene
    Memory
    Corsair 4 x 4 GB 1,600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Sound Card
    RME HDSPe AIO
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2713HM
    Screen Resolution
    2,560 x 1,440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB
    Hitachi 7K3000 2 TB
    PSU
    Seasonic X-760
    Case
    Silverstone TJ08-E
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14 Special Edition
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech M570
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps/3 Mbps cable
    Browser
    Opera 12.16
Does the Surface Pro hold up in a comparison with the iPad?

The short answer is no, if you're in the market for a tablet.

But I'll let Panos Panay, Microsoft's Surface boss, make that clear.
I want to be superclear on what we designed Pro for. Very easy to understand. This should be the fastest PC you pick up. Period. People get confused because of the form factor...It was designed as a PC.​
So now that we've clarified that it's not a tablet, the longer answer is: the two-pound Pro 2 -- like the first iteration -- is a decent portable computer that runs all your favorite Windows applications. But that's not saying a whole lot.
What about the thinner, lighter Surface RT, you ask? Yes, that's a tablet. Problem is, it doesn't run all those Windows apps (with a few exceptions, like Office RT) and people aren't buying it (thus the $900 million write-down).
Try this: Compare Microsoft's Surface to the iPad | Microsoft - CNET News

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
Does the Surface Pro hold up in a comparison with the iPad?

The short answer is no, if you're in the market for a tablet.

But I'll let Panos Panay, Microsoft's Surface boss, make that clear.
I want to be superclear on what we designed Pro for. Very easy to understand. This should be the fastest PC you pick up. Period. People get confused because of the form factor...It was designed as a PC.​
So now that we've clarified that it's not a tablet, the longer answer is: the two-pound Pro 2 -- like the first iteration -- is a decent portable computer that runs all your favorite Windows applications. But that's not saying a whole lot.
What about the thinner, lighter Surface RT, you ask? Yes, that's a tablet. Problem is, it doesn't run all those Windows apps (with a few exceptions, like Office RT) and people aren't buying it (thus the $900 million write-down).
Try this: Compare Microsoft's Surface to the iPad | Microsoft - CNET News

That guy hasn't the faintest idea of how to write an article.

Like few others, he goes to compare an ipad to a Surface Pro. That in itself is a fail. Brooks brothers Crothers is a fail in the media industry and I will not stand to read another piece of his trash.

The guy should be fired. I shouldn't have to read tabloid material on a once thought of legitimate site.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, i5 2500K overclocked PC
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC
They could have had an ad where someone is using it like a laptop on a train, then someone is sitting on the couch using it as a tablet to play Angry Birds, then someone has it connected to a big monitor with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse attached while working on a spreadsheet or whatever, then someone has it hooked up to a TV via HDMI to watch a movie etc.. They need to push the point that this isn't just a more expensive iPad. It's a full computer that can replace your desktop and laptop as well. Sure, there may be people here thinking "well, it wouldn't replace my computer because of X and Y", say, someone might be a hardcore gamer and need a really powerful GPU, but those are minority cases.

Instead they had yuppiescum dancing on desks flapping lids open and closed. You have one chance to make a first impression and they failed miserably. Strike one. It just left a bad taste in my mouth that I still have; that they lost the vision of people having a serious use for laptops/desktops/whatever. Just my opinion and it means something only to me.

-jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint and Windows 8 Pro
    Asus G75VW
    CPU
    i7
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16G
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17"
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 5400 rpm 1T and Seagate 7200 rpm 500G.
    Internet Speed
    30M down, 5M up
    Other Info
    Oracle Virtual Box
    Ubuntu 64 bit
They could have had an ad where someone is using it like a laptop on a train, then someone is sitting on the couch using it as a tablet to play Angry Birds, then someone has it connected to a big monitor with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse attached while working on a spreadsheet or whatever, then someone has it hooked up to a TV via HDMI to watch a movie etc.. They need to push the point that this isn't just a more expensive iPad. It's a full computer that can replace your desktop and laptop as well. Sure, there may be people here thinking "well, it wouldn't replace my computer because of X and Y", say, someone might be a hardcore gamer and need a really powerful GPU, but those are minority cases.

Instead they had yuppiescum dancing on desks flapping lids open and closed. You have one chance to make a first impression and they failed miserably. Strike one. It just left a bad taste in my mouth that I still have; that they lost the vision of people having a serious use for laptops/desktops/whatever. Just my opinion and it means something only to me.

-jeff
I've not seen any of the ads myself, but I've heard that they were bad.

Even some people on tech sites are comparing the Surface Pro price with the iPad's, when the former is a full computer and the latter is a tablet that runs a tablet OS only, so your average consumer who doesn't read about this stuff daily probably thinks the same. They really need to hit home the message that this can be bought as an alternative to a desktop machine, but not only that, it works as a laptop and tablet as well. If they don't, another company will, cos to me, this kind of product (along with phones that can do the same thing) is going to overtake the desktop market eventually.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus V Gene
    Memory
    Corsair 4 x 4 GB 1,600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Sound Card
    RME HDSPe AIO
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2713HM
    Screen Resolution
    2,560 x 1,440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB
    Hitachi 7K3000 2 TB
    PSU
    Seasonic X-760
    Case
    Silverstone TJ08-E
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14 Special Edition
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech M570
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps/3 Mbps cable
    Browser
    Opera 12.16
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1, W7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP \ Toshiba \ Lenovo \ Dell E7440
    Browser
    FF

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint and Windows 8 Pro
    Asus G75VW
    CPU
    i7
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16G
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17"
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 5400 rpm 1T and Seagate 7200 rpm 500G.
    Internet Speed
    30M down, 5M up
    Other Info
    Oracle Virtual Box
    Ubuntu 64 bit
Back