Suggestions for Freezing Problems (culled from other posts)

Quote from DM1
Multimedia or communication activities may cause a computer that is running Windows 8 Release Preview or Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate to stop responding

Multimedia or communication activities may cause a computer that is running Windows 8 Release Preview or Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate to stop responding

It came via Windows Update, i stopped using the HyperV workaround and it never froze.

Quote from adamus
BinhPV,

There is a link related to your concern Windows 8 Release Preview freezing problem on my ASUS K50IN. - Microsoft Answers and follow the instructions given to the User. :)

Welcome to EightForums fainonline,

Make a new thread to Installation & Setup Section for this is only Crashes and Debugging Section. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Came with the laptop (i7 of some sort)
    Motherboard
    Pretty sure that it has one, but haven't checked inside the case!
    Memory
    upgraded to 12 gB from 8 gB
    Graphics Card(s)
    has switchable - Intel/ATI - Used wrong drivers, now ATI card is inop :( Will have to fix it soon!
    Sound Card
    I'm nearly deaf, so this isn't used often
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Touchscreen on laptop/32" Toshiba on HDMI (laid the Sharp TV on a mouse and cracked the screen!)
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    One Samsung 1tB drive - 5400 rpm. Gonna switch to a 7200/10000 rpm or an SSD (if I can find $500 for a 1tB SSD!)
    - Switched to 500 gB Samsung 840 series SSD - WOW!!!
    PSU
    Why do we ask this for laptops?
    Case
    Silver with a neat Samsung logo
    Cooling
    sub-par, gotta get around to working on it soon Worked on it - still sub-par! :(
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural - the same one I've used since it orignally came out around 1995
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    too slow when I'm waiting for a download to finish
    Browser
    Yes, I use this (Firefox mostly, w/IE next most)
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender and Windows Firewall
    Other Info
    I'm handsome and a snappy dresser :0)
ESET NOD32 v5 anti-virus installed on my Win 8 but HIPS wouldn't run. I didn't experience any lock-ups though until this week, after the latest Windows updates. Then Win 8 would lockup after I did the Win Key + L to lock the screen. I couldn't get back in, and would have to re-boot.

Yesterday I uninstalled v5 and installed the v6 beta and so far there haven't been any lock-ups. And HIPS seems to be running too. We shall see how it goes...

For those User's of ESET SS still AV is not compatible.

After that I have install the AV there is one protection that cannot be activated for I know it will be enable only for Win 7 OS.
This is called H.I.P.S. What is HIPS (Host-based Intrusion Prevention System) in ESET Smart Security/NOD32 Antivirus? - ESET Knowledgebase
View attachment 7206

ESET SS will always ask to enable the protected but in a long run it causes to freeze.
It has a cross mark once you have install and you will see it in Setup of ESET SS.

I have encounter this kind of problem before that I taught it is from google chrome but it's not.

Now I am using Norton IS and Malwarebytes Anti-malware, everything went well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell E520
    CPU
    Intel Q6700 Core 2 Quad - 2.66 GHz
    Motherboard
    Whatever Dell put in there...