Study says: Windows 8 users rarely touch Metro apps

Soluto’s report digs into how often people really use those apps on a daily basis.

The news isn’t wonderful. Of the 10,848 Windows 8 devices studied by Soluto, the majority of traditional desktop and laptop users—even ones using a device with a touchscreen—fail to open a modern-style app daily. (Note that this study refers only to modern apps, not to traditional desktop programs.) Even on tablets, the devices best suited for Windows 8’s modern UI, just 56 percent of all users launch a Windows 8 app day in and day out.

Source

A Guy

I use the Weather and Calendar ones all the time. I also like what they did with Solitaire Collection, Minesweeper, and Mahjong.

Things I wish they'd do:
* Allow Calendar to be accurate to the minute, not every 5 minutes for both setting reminder time and setting appointment time.
* Allow me to pick which weather service becomes the primary source of information (in the bigger numbers)
* Give Hearts, 3D Chess Titans, and maybe even Purble place the official MS windows 8 treatment as they did with the above mentioned windows games. The alternatives on the store look so ugly or lack features compared to Microsoft's official remakes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit, Ubuntu 13.04 64-Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 950 @ 3ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus Sabertooth X58
    Memory
    Crucial 6GB DDR3 1066mhz Triple Channel
    Graphics Card(s)
    1GB EVGA GTX 460 SE (Nvidia)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual LG Monitors
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080, 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    80GB Intel 320 Series SSD
    640GB WD Caviar Blue
    320GB WD MyBook (converted to Internal SATA)
    1TB Seagate Barracuda
    PSU
    Corsair 650TX 650w
    Case
    CoolerMaster HAF 922
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110
    Mouse
    Logitech G500
    Internet Speed
    20mbps Down, 2mbps Up
For me it's completely irrelevant if the BBC world News App I use is published by BBC or not, as far as it shows the contents of BBC World News website as the apps available do.

are you still harping on about bbc apps, you've already been told they dont exist . nuff said. :dinesh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 /windows 8 Dev
I use the Weather and Calendar ones all the time. I also like what they did with Solitaire Collection, Minesweeper, and Mahjong.

Things I wish they'd do:
* Allow Calendar to be accurate to the minute, not every 5 minutes for both setting reminder time and setting appointment time.
* Allow me to pick which weather service becomes the primary source of information (in the bigger numbers)
* Give Hearts, 3D Chess Titans, and maybe even Purble place the official MS windows 8 treatment as they did with the above mentioned windows games. The alternatives on the store look so ugly or lack features compared to Microsoft's official remakes.

See my post for link to program to install the Windows 7 games on Windows 8. Works great.

http://www.eightforums.com/gaming/11434-windows-8-solitaire-collection-2.html#post134807

Jim :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Crucial Balistic DDR-3 1866 CL 9 (8 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE258Q 25" LED with DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two WD Cavier Black 2TB Sata 6gbs
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Seasonic X650 80 Plus GOLD Modular
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Two 120mm and four 140mm
    Keyboard
    AVS Gear Blue LED Backlight
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble Mouse USB, Logitech Precision Game Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    NIS, Malwarebytes Premium 2
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Motorola SB6120 Gigabit Cable Modem.
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer,
    Epson V300 Scanner
Seems to me, as a non 8 user, that you have the choice of both, so use what suits you, no? A Guy
I use windows 8 for both desktop and metro. Love both. I don't understand why some people on here hate choice so much. If they don't like metro, there are a few simple things they can do that will hide the start screen forever.

Ditto to both (and others). :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1

Things I wish they'd do:

Hi there
If you want to install Ms Classic games (The Windows 7 versions) just get the 32 / 64 bit version from my dropbox account.

Games work fine (I prefer them to the W8 ones in the store) and they also work on W2012 server too !!!! (provide the desktop experience feature is turned on).

You can use this link also if Phoneman's link doesn't work.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9rypo5zxfp5d767/tRhHGG6zys?v=0mcn

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Kari said:
Native Windows 8 Apps I use daily: Mail Calendar Messaging Weather News IE Third party Windows Apps I use daily: FilmOn (UK TV) TuneIn (Global radio) BBC World News BBC Tech News CNN Ilta-sanomat (news from Finland) Tom's Harware (tech news) Wikipedia Google
As Tarka said, why an app for each of these things, while everything can be available on a web browser? The suspended app list is cool, but limited in its amount of "tabs", and the experience is not the same as a tabbed browser. I mean, it's nice, but apps should be integrated in a web browser rather than the desktop surrogate aka Start Screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
According to the soluto report, on top of horrifically poor sales of 8, less than half of those sales result in people using tifkam..... seems to me 8.1 is akin to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
Ah, yes. The Titanic example again. It was a great ship. As modern as modern could be in those days. It was actually a big mistake of the blind navigators (users) that sank it. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
And the ship maker for using low quality materials

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, 2012, 7, 2008R2, 2008, 2003, XP,SUSE
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 640M 2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600X900
    Hard Drives
    Pair of 750 GB
And a major design ERROR.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes

Things I wish they'd do:

Hi there
If you want to install Ms Classic games (The Windows 7 versions) just get the 32 / 64 bit version from my dropbox account.

Games work fine (I prefer them to the W8 ones in the store) and they also work on W2012 server too !!!! (provide the desktop experience feature is turned on).

You can use this link also if Phoneman's link doesn't work.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9rypo5zxfp5d767/tRhHGG6zys?v=0mcn

Cheers
jimbo

Jimbo, thanks for that link. Its a lot easier then following my post.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Epson V300 Scanner
That article did say that 41% of Windows 8 Desktop uses actually used a Metro app at least once a day. From a lot of negative posts on here I would of thought no one was using a Metro app on a desktop. I guess 41% of Windows 8 desktop users are just too dumb to realize they should not use Metro apps on a desktop. :p

PS: I am one of the 41%

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Epson V300 Scanner
@Jimbo Oh don't get me wrong, I actually like the new versions in Windows 8. The themes are real pretty and animated and I like that. My only wish is they gave the same treatment to the other Windows 7 games they abandoned. But good to know you can still run the ones they didn't port over. :) The third party versions of these games are really poorly done. I find the quality and polish of Windows 8 exclusive apps done by third parties so far to be very lacking. Like, using comic sans for a font and flat gradients and stuff everywhere looks hideous to me. Microsoft's official ones are awesome, though, and I hope they do more!

For instance, I was looking for a simple memory match game. One I found looked hideous on 1920x1080 because the graphics were scaled up on NEAREST_NEIGHBOR filtering, aka big distorted ugly pixellated blocky graphics. A few others had the comic sans squares and really crappy or overly childish images thrown together without any real polish. The only one I found that looked decent was MatchR Memory, but it uses very basic symbolism rather than pictures and makes an annoying BUZZER sound if you match wrongly. Oh well, hopefully if Microsoft ever gains ground with Windows 8 that devs will start making better apps for it. Until then, playing what Microsoft officially hands to us and running non-Metro games is the way to go right now. Most of the games that have the green XBOX tag on them seem to be pretty well made, at least.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit, Ubuntu 13.04 64-Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 950 @ 3ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus Sabertooth X58
    Memory
    Crucial 6GB DDR3 1066mhz Triple Channel
    Graphics Card(s)
    1GB EVGA GTX 460 SE (Nvidia)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual LG Monitors
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080, 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    80GB Intel 320 Series SSD
    640GB WD Caviar Blue
    320GB WD MyBook (converted to Internal SATA)
    1TB Seagate Barracuda
    PSU
    Corsair 650TX 650w
    Case
    CoolerMaster HAF 922
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110
    Mouse
    Logitech G500
    Internet Speed
    20mbps Down, 2mbps Up
I use Metro all the time on the Pro and hardly ever on the desktop.

If you want to use a different os on your tablet, go right ahead.

I like the convenience of one on both for convenience. I don't know why this is so hard to fathom.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, i5 2500K overclocked PC
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC
It looks as though I may have opened Pandora's box. :D

Windows 8 is as modern as modern can be nowadays for an OS. Quite brilliant IMO.

And the ship maker for using low quality materials

Simply not so.

JOM Article on The Titanic: Did a Metallurgical Failure Cause a Night to Remember?
CONCLUSIONS
The steel used in constructing the RMS Titanic was probably the best plain carbon ship plate available in the period of 1909 to 1911, but it would not be acceptable at the present time for any construction purposes and particularly not for ship construction. Whether a ship constructed of modern steel would have suffered as much damage as the Titanic in a similar accident seems problematic. Navigational aides exist now that did not exist in 1912; hence,
icebergs would be sighted at a much greater distance, allowing more time for evasive action. If the Titanic had not collided with the iceberg, it could have had a career of more than 20 years as the Olympic had. It was built of similar steel, in the same shipyard, and from the same design. The only difference was a big iceberg.

Testing Shows Titanic Steel Was Brittle

The steel used to build the Titanic was not as "impact-resistant" as modern steel, according to Dr. H.P. Leighly, a professor emeritus of metallurgical engineering at UMR. But it was the best steel available at the time, says Leighly, who studied some 200 pounds of steel from the wreckage.

Some may argue different, but its more quality code and better computing experience coming out of Redmond.

Features new to Windows 8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Windows 8 includes new features, including native USB 3.0 and full 4K Advanced Format support, Microsoft account integration, Windows Store, the ability to boot from USB Flash drives with Windows To Go, and easier system restore options, among others.

And a major design ERROR.

I don't think so. The Titanic was one of three of the Olympic-class ocean liners: Olympic-class ocean liner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although not perfect and just as Windows 8 is leading-edge OS engineering of our day, they were designed with leading-edge engineering of their day of which their hulls were divided into 16 compartments via 15 water-tight bulheads. The fact that they didn't see the iceburg in time, that they were at top speed to break a record, and wrong decisions in steering it clear of the iceburg and/or slowing it down as not to cause such severe damage is solely human user error.

Titanic's Bulkheads & Watertight Compartments

Some of us see the genius of MS at work in Windows 8. I simply don't know what to say to those who do not, other than stick with lesser engineered OSs of the past.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Hi there
At the time the Titanic was state of the art - and it was only due to exceptional bad luck that the ship Sank.

There is some speculation also that had the ship crashed directly into the iceberg that it might have survived or at least a lot more people might have survived ( however a ship of that mass running at around 40 KM / Hr hitting an iceberg directly even if it didn't sink would certainly have caused a load of severe injuries to people on board -- they weren't using Seat belts etc !!!) .

Nothing discovered since the disaster shows that either the quality of the components or the standard of workmanship (for the time in question - 1912) was anything other than first class.

The problem with Windows 8 (original version) was that it certainly WASN'T a first class piece of workmanship. The modifications in the 8.1 version appear to have fixed the main problems with the original version.

However in the case of the titanic - modifying the "Unsinkable bulkheads" as was done for the other two ships in the series --wouldn't necessarily have saved the titanic either -- there's still huge speculation about that but the length of the gash in the side of the ship probably would have been fatal whatever system was in place. The Titanic was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
This is how we learn form our mistakes but M$ seems to have turned deaf dumb and blind to most user complaints. After the release we will see if M$ has opened there eyes but not until then because M$ does change things before release.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
I use Metro all the time on the Pro and hardly ever on the desktop.

If you want to use a different os on your tablet, go right ahead.

I like the convenience of one on both for convenience. I don't know why this is so hard to fathom.

It' not hard to fathom at all, actually. In fact, I use a very similar system as you. I have windows on my desktop, and on my laptop. Works out just fine for me.

However, on both my touch devices, I have android. And that's how I like that...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H