Solved Stuck scanning/ repairing C drive (chkdsk)

It doesn't seem stuck though cause the dotted circle is spinning. Did yours spin or was it completely stuck?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I have given up on Windows 8, and almost dropped Windows 7.
Now moved onto to Linux,
"Linux Lite 2.0" for the odd Windows thing, have Virtualbox with Win7 running

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 Pro
SOLVED: I just needed to wait. The procedure didn't take more than 4 hours. The dotted circle was spinning whole time. We should be more patient. Today people want everything immediately. Go buy an SSD drive then :). I will never post such a dumb question again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Solun, I just had to tell you that your question was NOT dumb in any way. I had the exact same thing happen and your posts saved me from making things so much worse. Indeed all that was needed was patience. But as you say, we are not used to things taking so long these days.

After reading your posts I decided as long as the little dots kept circling I would let it run for up to 24 hours before trying anything else. The chkdsk process took a little over 4 hours to complete and I was terrified the whole time. I was stuck at 11% for almost that whole time. When it "broke free" it went from 11% to 100% in under 5 minutes.

Now my issues are resolved and the system is working fine. All due to your "Dumb" question.

Thank You!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
Solun, I just had to tell you that your question was NOT dumb in any way. I had the exact same thing happen and your posts saved me from making things so much worse. Indeed all that was needed was patience. But as you say, we are not used to things taking so long these days.

After reading your posts I decided as long as the little dots kept circling I would let it run for up to 24 hours before trying anything else. The chkdsk process took a little over 4 hours to complete and I was terrified the whole time. I was stuck at 11% for almost that whole time. When it "broke free" it went from 11% to 100% in under 5 minutes.

Now my issues are resolved and the system is working fine. All due to your "Dumb" question.

Thank You!

This post should be a sticky as the most helpful.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Yes, it sticks at 10%, for an hour, the off-beat circle goes, then it's done in 5 minutes . . . How about showing what it's doing, and an indication that's it has hung or not? Why make this into a guessing process?

I powered mine off and on a couple of times within 15 minutes, because I was trying to get out of it, and don't notice anything, so it seems like it's prepared if you do that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Compaq DC7600 Convertible Minitower
    CPU
    Intel Pentium 4 521, Prescott 90nm Technology
    Motherboard
    Hewlett-Packard 09F0h (XU1 PROCESSOR)
    Memory
    2.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz (5-5-5-15)
    Graphics Card(s)
    512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP 2311
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    149GB SAMSUNG HD160JJ ATA Device (SATA)
    233GB Maxtor 7L250S0 ATA Device (SATA)
    Keyboard
    Logitech K120
    Mouse
    Kensington Expert Mouse K64325
    Internet Speed
    1.5MB DSL
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast, Malwarebytes
Hi, I've been away from Forums for a while so please be patient with my posts.
After installing Ubuntu on a 2 terebyte hard drive alongside Windows 8.1, I had to uninstall ubuntu for various reasons.
Then I re-enlarged my Windows partition with GParted (I was surpised how simple this was!) so Windows had the use of the whole 2 TB (which I will require for various reason in the near future.)
Of course I was a bit suspicious that the re-enlarge partition was so easy, so I am now running:

dskchk -f -r

..command. And I am here because it is stuck at .... 10%
I'm Comp TIA A+ qualified and have noticed all my IT stuff has been running slowly recently. Maybe its just the time of year ho hum...
Anyway I'm on my friend's borrowed netbook right now and I tried to clone the HDD to a bigger one and edit partitions using GParted- it failed (but that's another story.)
I reckon I will leave disk check running a day or two before I give up- nothing pressing doing right now!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit Pro with Media Centre
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Various
    CPU
    AMD FX4130 3.8 GHz 'Bulldozer' 4.1 GHz overclock
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R 2.0
    Memory
    Corsair MX-3 DDR3 1600 4GB x4
    Graphics Card(s)
    1GB Radeon HD 6850 DDR5
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE247
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb HDD
    500 Gb WD USB backup drive
    PSU
    Be Quiet! Pure Power L8 730 W
    Case
    CoolerMaster Elite 430
    Cooling
    2 x 80 mm red & green LED case fans & standard AMD CPU fan/heatsink
    Keyboard
    Antique Compaq
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    17916 kbps down, 767 kbps up
    Browser
    IE
    Antivirus
    Norton
    Other Info
    LG Super Multi Blu Ray Writer BH16NS40
I have ran CHKDSK /f c: and after 31% the system reboots. Is this standard or an issue?

The drive is 2T

I have an number of applications that refuse to run now that ran a few week ago. Even after reinstalling them.

I ran CHKDSK on my other drives ranging from 1.5-3T with the 3T having errors and took 30 hours to repair it and reboot the system. Best to let the CHKDSK run as long as it has to and will reboot when it ready to do so.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1 pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    custom built
    CPU
    I7 920
    Motherboard
    EvGA X58 3X SLI
    Memory
    24 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    650Ti 2 gigs
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 2T, 3T, 3T, 4T 7200 rpm 64
    External WD 1.5T usb2 and 2T USB3
    PSU
    Keyboard
    MS
    Mouse
    MS
    Internet Speed
    Highspeed
    Browser
    Fifefox
    Antivirus
    AVG
The disc check command froze at 10% for a few hours but then completed the scan and repair and rebooted.

Try typing:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

into administrator command prompt & let it finish, then run sfc /scannow.

The dism command takes a long time to run.
It will fix things if they can be fixed.

This worked fine for me and fixed some issues. Dism-success-repair.jpg

*Note: there are some spaces in the above quoted Dism command which must not be omitted.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit Pro with Media Centre
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Various
    CPU
    AMD FX4130 3.8 GHz 'Bulldozer' 4.1 GHz overclock
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R 2.0
    Memory
    Corsair MX-3 DDR3 1600 4GB x4
    Graphics Card(s)
    1GB Radeon HD 6850 DDR5
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE247
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb HDD
    500 Gb WD USB backup drive
    PSU
    Be Quiet! Pure Power L8 730 W
    Case
    CoolerMaster Elite 430
    Cooling
    2 x 80 mm red & green LED case fans & standard AMD CPU fan/heatsink
    Keyboard
    Antique Compaq
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    17916 kbps down, 767 kbps up
    Browser
    IE
    Antivirus
    Norton
    Other Info
    LG Super Multi Blu Ray Writer BH16NS40
I have ran CHKDSK /f c: and after 31% the system reboots. Is this standard or an issue?

The drive is 2T

I have an number of applications that refuse to run now that ran a few week ago. Even after reinstalling them.

I ran CHKDSK on my other drives ranging from 1.5-3T with the 3T having errors and took 30 hours to repair it and reboot the system. Best to let the CHKDSK run as long as it has to and will reboot when it ready to do so.
Did run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image / RestoreHealth with no issues. Ran sfc /scannow and got to 31% where it then jump to 100% and completed.

Ran the programs I have being having problems with and got the same results. Removed the programs and did a registry clean using 3rd party tools and regedt32. Install fresh programs that were removed and got the same results as the past.

Something is corrupt in win8 that stopping these programs from working

I did chkdsk / f C: where it move faster to 29% than before, but it sat there for 2 minutes before going to 30% and a minute later it move to 31. It then stated it was 100% complete and rebooted. On reboot it state scanning and repair was 100% completed and started the OS.

Why is it only getting to 30-31% and be completed when all the other drives go up to 100% at 1-2% rate??

The main issues why my applications not working now when they did before the last patches came down.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1 pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    custom built
    CPU
    I7 920
    Motherboard
    EvGA X58 3X SLI
    Memory
    24 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    650Ti 2 gigs
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Keyboard
    MS
    Mouse
    MS
    Internet Speed
    Highspeed
    Browser
    Fifefox
    Antivirus
    AVG
Thank you!!

Thank You!

I too am stuck at 11%--although "only" for about two hours so far. So, indeed, no dumb questions. You hopefully also saved me a lot of trouble!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8

The drive is 2T

As noted, best to leave the system running until the CKKDSK does it thing and then return to normal state. How long it takes depend on your drive and material on it. I have seen it take as much as 3 days to do a 4T drive with 2.2T data on it.

My issue with 31% was the system itself.

My whole issue was the system had became corrupt and not surprise at this at all, considering I have seen this since the bate win95 days. The only issue I have was going back to Win 8 for fresh install, upgrading to win8.1 and dealing with bad code numbers.

Due to various issues, my problems went up to the development team at MS who are still dealing with a few issues at this time. Because of the 3 stage to install win8.1, MS spent a full Sat doing it, as well testing a few things out on other issues. Don't have the time to have MS deal with the other issues until 2015, but hopping they come up with a solutions to a few of them by then, as I have found a couple of them on Win7 system that I am using at this time that not connected to my own network.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1 pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    custom built
    CPU
    I7 920
    Motherboard
    EvGA X58 3X SLI
    Memory
    24 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    650Ti 2 gigs
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Keyboard
    MS
    Mouse
    MS
    Internet Speed
    Highspeed
    Browser
    Fifefox
    Antivirus
    AVG
sorry.. but what the hell are you guys talking about??!

i've been using windows 8.1 Home edition for awhile now, been downloading all kinds of crap i shouldn't be downloading and using programs and playing games and tweaking my system with all kinds of crap i shouldn't be tweaking.. settings and etc.. been reinstalling/uninstalling, you name it..

and when i run sfc /scannow or dism /online/cleanupimage... etc..

nothing hangs and i don't have problems. so.. what the heck are you guys doing?

***and i'll even run both right now.. as you can see they both didn't take a long time and finished..while running windows and typing this post!!

scannow.JPG

dismnow.JPG

**edit - and what is the exact command i run for chkdsk that you guys run and ill run that too.. and guess what? it won't freeze..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 (HOME not Pro) 64bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    (So not very nice) Lenovo Y410P
    CPU
    i7 quad 2.4Gig
    Memory
    16G ram
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 2gig 755m
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo

supercache2 m2. mini card.
    Antivirus
    Win Defender
As noted, best to leave the system running until the CKKDSK does it thing and then return to normal state. How long it takes depend on your drive and material on it. I have seen it take as much as 3 days to do a 4T drive with 2.2T data on it......

I have a 1TB drive not even quarter full. It is my C:\ drive. My Lenovo diagnostics program detected 24 bad sectors. The windows program located in "drive > properties > tools" finds nothing. Of course, the Lenovo program couldn't fix the drive since it was in use so I ran CHKDSK /f /r /x (I think) and restarted.

Three days later it is still running and reports 11%.

What should my approach be now? Can I safely shut this PC down?

Fortunately, I am under warranty if anything too awful happens but I would like this machine up and running. It hosts all the files for the house. (All the files are on a separate physical disk in the PC.)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
What happens is that every 9-14 weeks with new features with Win10 it does this so it can get rid of anything nasty but if it does happen to you just wait it out dont worry dont turn it off cuz it will do things wrong i've had this done before but i was on Win8 and i messed my pc up :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
Hi,

In general, you can follow the subsequent 8 easy and effective steps to get rid of the stuck CHKDSK issue

Step 1: Ensure the size of drive you’re scanning
Step 2: Restart your PC and exit CHKDSK during boot
Step 3: Clear all temporary and junk files by Disk Cleanup
Step 4: Run the System File Checker
Step 5: Restart PC and stop running CHKDSK during boot
Step 6: Repair the Windows System Image
Step 7: Run CHKDSK again to check if issue persists
Step 8: Disable scheduled CHKDSK

Hope that helps!

Good luck!

Amanda

My Computer