Storage Spaces

voltik

I have two drives (750 gb each) in a hardware mirror raid which the contents are very important to me. I bought a 2 TB drive which I created a new storage pool. I transferred all the contents from the hardware raid to the new storage pool (the 2 TB drive). Can I add a two way mirror to the storage pool (or convert the pool to mirror) after if I format and add the two 750 gb drives? When I created the pool, I did not have an extra drive to use for mirroring so I had to select the "none" option for resiliency.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I am sceptical of mirroring. It takes extra real time during operation and wastes a lot of space.

With all that disk space I would setup partitions for the data and image those. You can schedule that for as often as you like. It runs in the background and compresses the data. That way you use only about 60% of the space.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Well when I disabled my hardware raid and tried adding the 750 gb drives to the 2 tb storage pool, I could not find the option to change the resiliency of the pool. So I just deleted the pool and remade with two way mirroring and now I can transfer all the data from the third drive.

WHS: I converted the only remaining desktop into a file server using windows 8 and storage spaces. Six other laptops use the files (documents, photos, videos, music, etc.). Also using xbmc on apple tv to stream videos. Using compressed data and scheduled backups will work for the documents, but not sure about videos and music files. Mirroring is easier to manage and the speeds that I had when transferring between internal drives was good enough for me.

Now if I can only figure out how why the IDE drives are not accessible when creating a storage pool.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Back