Solved Storage Spaces error

chinds

I have been running windows 8 since the 1st Developer preview and have loved every minute of, not had a single problem. When I upgraded the the final version of Windows 8 I decided to use the storage spaces feature to pool my media drives.

And all of a sudden last week i was unable to vie my storage space, looking under the settings for the storage space. it says "Media Drive 1" 'Warning separated form pool; reset drive'.

I am am not able to access any of the data on the two drives. I have physically removed 1 drive and tried to access the data, I have installed the drives in another machine and still no luck.

I am wondering if there is any other way for me to access the data on the 2 drives that are in the pool.

Thanks for your help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I will attempt to help, assuming your Storage Space was set up as a Two way Mirror. If you did not use resiliency, let us know. The fact you cannot access the space in Explorer does not look good.

Since your drive shows as disconnected, do you know what caused it assume that state? Did you move it or add any drives?

The best option is to reconnect the drive and allow the Space to be rebuilt. But even with one drive showing as disconnected, I could still access the files in Explorer. It you are not running a Mirrored or Parity Space, the files may not be accessible.

The second option would be to add another drive to take the place of the one lost. After you remove the disconnected drive, the Space should rebuild itself.

See the attachment for a progression of having a drive fail. The total Pool space available should always be a consideration, and a Mirrored space needs twice as much available space as the data filling it.

Attachments

• Storage Spaces All.GIF
    Storage Spaces All.GIF
    119.2 KB · Views: 224

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Grown
    CPU
    i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77 -v Pro, Z87-Expert
    Memory
    16 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified (2)
    Hard Drives
    Kingston SSD 240 GB
I will attempt to help, assuming your Storage Space was set up as a Two way Mirror. If you did not use resiliency, let us know. The fact you cannot access the space in Explorer does not look good.

Since your drive shows as disconnected, do you know what caused it assume that state? Did you move it or add any drives?

The best option is to reconnect the drive and allow the Space to be rebuilt. But even with one drive showing as disconnected, I could still access the files in Explorer. It you are not running a Mirrored or Parity Space, the files may not be accessible.

The second option would be to add another drive to take the place of the one lost. After you remove the disconnected drive, the Space should rebuild itself.

See the attachment for a progression of having a drive fail. The total Pool space available should always be a consideration, and a Mirrored space needs twice as much available space as the data filling it.

Thanks for the reply, Unfortunately I do not have any resiliency set up for the storage space (I know this is stupid, but being student I simply cannot afford more HDD's right now)

I was under the impression that I could take the drive out and view the data on it like any normal HDD in another system but this is obviously not the case. I can see the HDD's in easeUS Partition Manager, but cannot really do anything with them.

Thanks for the help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I tried setting up a 2 drive system like yours. When I disconnected one of the drives, the space gave an Error which I could not seem to correct. Reconnecting the drive (physically) would not allow the space to be rebuilt. Which makes sense since the space is basically one hard drive.

I read somewhere, that if you used drives in a Storage Space, they were not accessible through other means...looks like your experience shows that to be true.

I will do some more testing tonight to see if I can find a way to recover your data, but I would not hold out any hope. I was thinking about trying a partition repair in something like Partition Wizard. EaseUS may also have that ability, and perhaps a Windows 7 system will be more likely to work than a Windows 8 system.

Good Luck....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Grown
    CPU
    i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified (2)
    Hard Drives
    Kingston SSD 240 GB
I tried setting up a 2 drive system like yours. When I disconnected one of the drives, the space gave an Error which I could not seem to correct. Reconnecting the drive (physically) would not allow the space to be rebuilt. Which makes sense since the space is basically one hard drive.

I read somewhere, that if you used drives in a Storage Space, they were not accessible through other means...looks like your experience shows that to be true.

I will do some more testing tonight to see if I can find a way to recover your data, but I would not hold out any hope. I was thinking about trying a partition repair in something like Partition Wizard. EaseUS may also have that ability, and perhaps a Windows 7 system will be more likely to work than a Windows 8 system.

Good Luck....

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and your help. I have the storage space up and running now :) after pondering on the though of my motherboard being the issue (in was not able to access another hdd over the weekend) as I have the 1st revision sandybridge boards that has issues with the sata controllers.

I then realised the drive with the supposed error was only at 18% capacity whereas the other drive was at 98% so I took the plunge and click the 'reset drive' and as if if nothing had happened I had all green lights again saying everything was OK. I then had to assign a drive letter the storage space so it could been seen under explorer. It seems all of my data is there.

Again thanks for your help guys. Much appreciated.

Chris

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Glad you got it working..

But just for my information, what "Reset drive" option did you use? I don't see such an option on the Storage Space dialog.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Grown
    CPU
    i7 3770K
    Motherboard