Sticking to 8.1

My first OS was actually Windows 95. I got a computer with vista in 2008. I got a computer with 8.1 in 2014. What im trying to say is the only way I ever get a new OS is when I feel that my computer doesn't do what I need it to do and end up getting a whole new computer in like 5 or 6 years at the most sometimes I use them for a lot longer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy 700-414
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 4570 3.20ghz
    Memory
    12 gigabyte
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD 4600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Pavilion 22bw
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x1080
    Hard Drives
    2TB
    PSU
    460w
    Keyboard
    Hp Wireless cichlet style
    Mouse
    Logitech m 100
    Internet Speed
    Charter Cable Wireless
    Browser
    INTERNET EXPLORER 11
    Antivirus
    NORTON 360
What killer features does Win10 have?

In the past I remember introduction of NTFS, FAT32, USB support, x64, multi-core CPU support, increase of supported memory and disk space, ClearType, IPv6 support, UDF, SDHC support, Unicode, NT kernel etc etc.

What of such innovations does Win10 have?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows
Let's see, it's time for a new OS in keeping with Microsoft's desire for a 3-year cycle. It alleviates some of the animosity against Win8.0, it incorporates a blend of previous versions' visual interface. I don't see as anything earth-shaking is necessary, could use the Preview I have installed now until it times out as all BETA versions do. A visit to the actual Windows 10 Forum gives a lot of perspective as shown in this page:
10 Reasons to Upgrade to Windows 10: IT’S FAMILIAR - Windows 10 Forums

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WinXP, WinVista, Win7, Win8.1, Win10, Linux Mint 20
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    2 Customs and 12 OEM/Brands
    CPU
    AMD and Intel
I have been running Build 10240 which reportedly is the last preview and RTM.

- My limited opinion is (1) rendering is noticeably better - like having the latest HD device (2) less resources on my i3, 4GB, laptop. (3) seems slighty faster and smoother.

- The above pros are when using Chrome. Edge at this time needs much work, user interface (ui), speed, and a subject not allowed to discuss on this forum.

- Personally, I will probably upgrade and return to 8.1 if necessary. The below lengthy article from ZDNet is worth a read. Excerpts:

If you're running Windows 8 and you can, you should update to 8.1 anyway. And if you're running Windows 8.1 and your machine can handle it (check the compatibility guidelines), I'd recommend updating to Windows 10. In terms of third-party support, Windows 8 and 8.1 will be such a ghost town that it's well worth doing the upgrade, and doing so while the Windows 10 option is free.

If you're buying a new PC: Go ahead and get it with Windows 10. Windows 8 and 8.1 machines are about to become ghosts.
If you're buying a Windows 8 or 8.1 PC and looking for bargains: Probably too much work to buy an 8 or 8.1 machine and upgrade to Windows 10. There might be driver and compatibility issues. That said, if you want to be frugal and can live with the probable pain, go for it.
If you're buying a PC with Windows 7: If you're buying a Windows 7 machine now, it's because you want Windows 7.
If you're building a new PC: You'll want Windows 10, especially if you want to do cool things with games and VR.
If you're running Windows RT: Toss it in the trash and buy yourself a useful machine. There might be a chance you can upgrade to Windows 10, but you'll probably run into storage and other hassles.
If you're running real Windows 8 or 8.1 on a traditional PC: Upgrade right away. Windows 8 and 8.1 are about become forgotten to history.
If you're running Windows 8 or 8.1 on a tablet: Probably best to stick with 8.1. If you're running Windows 8, move to 8.1. Windows 10 might work, but it might not be worth the risk.
If you're running Windows 7: Unless you absolutely love one of the Windows 10 new features (most notably Cortana or the gaming features), you should stick with Windows 7. I'm not upgrading my Windows 7 machines.
If you're running Vista: Find thee a dumpster.
If you're running XP: Look, you know who you are and why you're still running XP. You should stop, but you're not going to, are you?
How to decide: Should you upgrade to Windows 10? | ZDNet

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 64bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba
    CPU
    Intel i3, 2348
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD3000
I don't miss "the good old days" of DOS 2.1 on a PC running a 4.77Mhz 8088 with a whopping 256K of RAM in 1984. No hdd, just 2 floppy disk drives.

I remember trying Windows 1.0 on a 286 machine and thinking how useless it was as there were no Windows apps, only DOS apps.

For me, the "good old days" was DOS 2.0 on an 8086 with 128K. With that today, I couldn't get anything done, of course. But at the time I was in it mainly for the fun.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 8
    HP 23-D030
Seems that I might be the only one on this forum, considering all the "I'm jumping over to Windows 10" posts here. ;) Oh well, better stock up on provisions. Anyone got a spare tin opener?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
I don't miss "the good old days" of DOS 2.1 on a PC running a 4.77Mhz 8088 with a whopping 256K of RAM in 1984. No hdd, just 2 floppy disk drives.

I remember trying Windows 1.0 on a 286 machine and thinking how useless it was as there were no Windows apps, only DOS apps.

For me, the "good old days" was DOS 2.0 on an 8086 with 128K. With that today, I couldn't get anything done, of course. But at the time I was in it mainly for the fun.
I can vividly recall when I purchased my first computer, made by Hewitt Rand and had an AMD 80386-40MHz CPU. The selling spiel was that Windows was the Gooey or GUI/Graphical User Interface. There were Windows-based programs such as WordPerfect 5.1 for Windows that I had, just gave a different look to the WordPerfect 5.0 for DOS, a little difficult when taking a continuing education course at the college which hadn't yet set up for Windows classes. MS-DOS 5 wasn't too bad considering the instructor was an Apple/Macintosh dealer [but she was cute].

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WinXP, WinVista, Win7, Win8.1, Win10, Linux Mint 20
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    2 Customs and 12 OEM/Brands
    CPU
    AMD and Intel
I was about to post on this topic until I found this one, so thanks to the OP.
I really don't understand why everyone makes a big deal of the "Start" button, you can always customize it with 3rd party tools to your liking. I'm on Win8.1 and don't plan to upgrade to 10, for me 8.1 offers improvements under the hood as compared to Win7: better memory management, faster and very stable. I tried 10 in a VM and other than cosmetic changes to the GUI, I don't see any improvements under the hood relative to 8.1. Also it seems that 10 is more intrusive. For now I'll skip 10, I'm happy with 8.1 and will stick to it until a new OS offers performance improvements that justify the time and cost of upgrading.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1x64 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self made
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 6700K
    Motherboard
    Asus Z170-A
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 2400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 530
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 23EA53 23" LED IPS
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 32bit
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 256GB 830 Series SSD main+HGST 4TB 7200RPM as 2nd internal
    PSU
    Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 850W TPG-850M
    Case
    Corsair Obsidian 650DW-1 Midtower
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Antivirus
    NIS2014
I totally agree. For me Win7 was the worst operating system from MS ever. Both in terms of design and quality. Win8.1 fixes at least two bugs of Win7 I found annoying and provides two features I like. It also has better default theme even if I do not use it (I prefer Classic). Yes, a big disadvantage of Win8.1 is the Metro/Modern design that pops up occasionally but actually it pops up very rare. I usually do not see it. Under Win10 it is invasive: it is everywhere, in player, browser, control panel etc.

So I am now staying with Win8.1. I do not see any single feature Win10 can provide or improve. I use ClassicShell since Win7 (because I use it in Classic mode which they removed in Win7, but which existed from Win95 to Vista) so I do not need their new Start Menu.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows
My "Windows 10 Home "upgrade is sitting in "Hidden Updates" until I decide if I want it or not. Never was one for being on "the leading edge".:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell/Inspiron
    CPU
    core i5
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    none
    Browser
    ie10
    Antivirus
    windows defender
No thanks to Windows 10.

Quite simply, I don't want Windows 10.

I run Win 8.1 on fairly low spec machine but with a little tweaking Win 8.1 does everything I want. I have tried Windows 10 four times now and am not impressed. Privacy is an issue. Bing is another. Microsoft Edge is a disapointment. Microsoft trying to tie/link almost everything to Microsoft is a biggie for me. Updates without permission and then the Crash or endless loop syndrome.

I started with PC's about 1980 through CP/M, DOS, Windows 2, 3, 3.1, 95, 98, XP, Vista, 7, 8.1, and OS/2, Linux, and if I forgot an OS call it old age.

Favourite OS's. XP, Vista, 8.1. Yes, Vista, when trimmed of all the bloat Vista was/is still a viable OS.

Windows 10 seems to want to take control of the user. Gee, thanks Microsoft. I thought the user was supposed to have control.

So many unused apps running in the background. For the average, "switch the PC on and use it" Windows 10 seems to be directed toward creating a mindset the average user eventually accepts.

Yes, I have found Windows 10 unstable even on a new PC less than two months old. Windows 8.1, never a problem. Windows 8.1 can be changed without danger to be a GUI very similar to XP without any Classic Shell kit or, "major surgery".

I am annoyed at Microsoft for sneaking the Windows 10 upgrade in the usual, "patch Tuesday" updates with no way of getting rid of it. Gee, thanks Microsoft.

Rave rave, rant rant.

Old Kanga.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo H30.00
    CPU
    Dual Core Intel 2.41 Ghz soon to be quad core
    Memory
    4 Gb - soon to be 8 Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel - 1 Gb
    Sound Card
    Internal - so, it works.
    Screen Resolution
    Benq FP92W
    Hard Drives
    500 Gb
    Case
    Small
    Cooling
    The usual
    Keyboard
    The usual
    Mouse
    Wi-Fi
    Internet Speed
    Flat out - pedal to the metal
    Browser
    Google Canary 64 bit
    Antivirus
    Panda Cloud
    Other Info
    All of the above subject to change. Other PC Dual core 3 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
Windows 8.1:

h_1438764890_4488727_a94ba005e8.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows
I don't plan on upgrading to Windows 10 because I never upgrade my Windows Vista lap top, my Windows 7 or my Windows 8 lap top to another OS, although my Windows 7 is currently at my parents waiting on Daddy to have time to fix something on it, he's busy taking care of Mom, the cat, and the house. I also love my computer as it is now, and see no reason to change it. My parents for a long time refused to use anything but Windows XP but are now using Windows 7, both of them are. My parents can't stand 8.1, mine is the one I bought from my parents, it was my Mom's computer. There are a lot of things I read about Windows 10 that I don't like. But I do remember I didn't think I would like Windows 8 either but I fell in love with the apps real quickly but there are things I don't like about it so I love Windows 7 more. My favorite ones are Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 though but my Windows XP lap top went missing in my home town, and had to be replaced with what I could find at the time in 2009 Windows Vista. I started out on Windows 3.1 then AST Windows 95 then Windows 95 then Windows Me had it for over 10 years it got stolen, then my first lap top was Windows XP.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
Set up either VMWare or Virtual Box and test windows 10 in it to see it it is something you might really want to play around with. Or join the insider program to see if 10 is for you. With the insider program you get a chance to help Micorosoft make decission as to what direction the new OS is going. Also you get a chance to test and use the latest builds of the OS to decide whether this is your OS of the future. At this stage (build 10565) i am fairly happy to say if this was the last test build I would go with OS 10 as my Operating System of the future. . .my 2 cent).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
At this stage (build 10565) i am fairly happy to say if this was the last test build I would go with OS 10 as my Operating System of the future. . .my 2 cent).
OS 10? You mean Mac OS X?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1x64 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self made
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 6700K
    Motherboard