Start screen won't scroll or minimize

bdlester79

I just installed Windows 8 last night. The start screen will only scroll if I left-click and drag the bar at the bottom. clicking the arrows won't work and neither will using my arrow keys to go from app to app (once it hits the side of the screen it goes out of view but the screen doesn't pan to follow it). I am also unable to click the minimize button to see the apps so that i can create column headers for my tile collections. I installed Windows 8 on my laptop a couple of weeks ago and don't have this issue.

Any ideas are appreciated.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Hi, welcome to the forums, leave the PC/Laptop for few seconds more after switching on, I have re-created what you are experiencing and found the laptop busy with the background programs and I couldn't use my touchpad.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire E1-571
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer Type-2
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000
    Sound Card
    High Definiton Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
    PSU
    Generic
    Keyboard
    QWERTY
    Mouse
    ELANTECH Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    12.68Mbps
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I am having the same issue with start screen panning with my scroll wheel and have yet to find an answer. My minimize button also doesn't work. The Apps however will pan using the scroll wheel. I only have issues with the start screen. I am thinking there a reg edit could fix this, but don't know at which keys to look.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 and Ubuntu 1210
    Gateway LX6810 Primary Desktop
I just installed Windows 8 last night. The start screen will only scroll if I left-click and drag the bar at the bottom. clicking the arrows won't work and neither will using my arrow keys to go from app to app (once it hits the side of the screen it goes out of view but the screen doesn't pan to follow it). I am also unable to click the minimize button to see the apps so that i can create column headers for my tile collections. I installed Windows 8 on my laptop a couple of weeks ago and don't have this issue.

Any ideas are appreciated.
Know nothing really about your desktop, I assume. Some details would help. But, for starters, you might need to update the driver or firmware for whatever mouse (assumed) you are using. Does device manager show any problems? And, you still could, if you didn't already, run the Win8 Upgrade Assistant on you machine to get insights about things that may not be working well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY Rig; MacBook Pro (MBP)/Parallels/Boot Camp; HP Pavilion dv6500t Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K (sometimes OC'd to 4.8 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on OCZ Revo x2 and
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on Caviar Black SATA 3's
    PSU
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Mouse
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    20 Mbps Download/2+ Mbps Upload
    Other Info
    Pioneer Blu-ray Burner/DVD Burner
/QUOTE]Know nothing really about your desktop, I assume. Some details would help. But, for starters, you might need to update the driver or firmware for whatever mouse (assumed) you are using. Does device manager show any problems? And, you still could, if you didn't already, run the Win8 Upgrade Assistant on you machine to get insights about things that may not be working well.[/QUOTE]

The device manager shows nothing at all wrong. My mouse drivers are fine. I can pan/scroll other apps opened from the start screen (Win 8 apps), but only the start screen itself will not. I have to grab and drag the bar at the bottom to pan the screen. I thought about refreshing everything, but didn't really want to reinstall all of my non-Win 8 apps "yet". I am thinking it may be a registry entry that is off. I did install the "Classic Start" button, but uninstalled and have no third party apps affecting the desktop now. It may have left an awkward entry in the registry. Just don't know what to look for. I may compare entries on my son's laptop with my desktop and see if I see anything different. Then again this may not be the issue at all. Thanks for your reply. Other info is that it is Windows 8 Pro x64. I really can't pin down "when" it stopped panning properly. Wish I could as that would give me an idea of what happened anyway.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 and Ubuntu 1210
I do think I'm onto something. I booted into safe mode and it worked fine. I think it has something to do with the nVidia drivers/control panel that are installed for my graphics cards. I got the latest and greatest but it didn't help. I think it's time to remove them and see what happens.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Well...every time I uninstall the nvidia driver I reboot and it reinstalls it. The only time my start screen works as expected is in safe mode with the generic driver (which I can't load). Any ideas?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Well...every time I uninstall the nvidia driver I reboot and it reinstalls it. The only time my start screen works as expected is in safe mode with the generic driver (which I can't load). Any ideas?

Do you know if your start screen was miss-behaving from when you first started using. I also have nVidia Drivers and have the issue, but am not yet positive they are related. Working in safe mode may disable other services/drivers also. I have yet to try safe mode, but will.

Do you have installed or installed previously any third party start menu's? That is what I suspect as my issue, though I can't be positive. I have deleted them and cleaned the registry, but that didn't fix the problem. I am considering just doing a system refresh. I just really don't want to once again install all non-native apps, though any Win 8 specific "RT" apps that were installed from the App store stay, those would be the easy ones to get back.

Anyway, I am still experimenting a bit as time allows. What's odd is that there isn't a lot of information about similar issues out there. I would have especially thought if it were an nVidia driver issue, there would be more information out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 and Ubuntu 1210
The start screen has been misbehaving from the start. I haven't installed any 3rd party start menus. I know a lot of people don't like the new look of Win 8, but after I got used to it I really like it. I've downloaded a bunch of older drivers for my cards and I'm going to give them a shot. I've also emailed nvidia support to see if they have any insight. I can't guarantee it's their driver, but it's the option that makes the most sense to me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Not quite sure what to think at this point. Safe mode works, regular doesn't. I tried to boot into low resolution...that didn't make it work. I ended up going into safe mode and noting all of the automatic services that weren't started, went into a normal boot and disabled all of those and rebooted...still didn't work for me. I also looked through all of the devices in device manager. I didn't go in and note each driver version used, but I did look at how the devices were listed and compared those against my normal boot look. I had the display drivers running the nvidia drivers in safe mode with no issue. My monitor drivers (i have samsung) were using the generic monitor in safe mode, but switching it to generic in my normal session didn't change anything. There were a few other devices that weren't showing up in safe mode, so I disabled those devices in my normal session but that didn't help either.

Not getting any closer to a resolution, but figured I'd pass on the trouble shooting info. Anyone know what else safe mode might be changing?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Have you tried creating a second user account and seeing if the problem occurs there as well?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
I finally this morning early before work just went ahead and did a system refresh and started again. It does retain Win 8 apps and the user profile, so restoring my installed programs didn't take long and I always use an installer from Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once to make quick work of reinstalling my regularly used programs (that is a great site/tool). My start screen works as advertised now panning with the mouse wheel as it is supposed to. I will not install any third party start menu and right now I do not plan on reinstalling drivers from nVidia for my card. I am unsure which was the issue, but assume one or the other. I really don't think that the nVidia drivers gave me much if any better video performance than the native drivers anyway. I wish I new exactly what the problem was, but I really appreciate everything a lot better now. It also gave me opportunity to rid myself of some programs that I didn't need anyway. Everything is working great now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 and Ubuntu 1210
Back