Start Screen - Add Taskbar or Dock on Desktop in Windows 8

How to Have Start Screen Docked on your Desktop with Taskbar in Windows 8 and 8.1

information   Information
This tutorial will show you how to choose to have your Start screen docked to the top or bottom of your desktop with a custom height, or add a taskbar to your Start screen in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.

This is only applied to your account. Each user must do this tutorial in their own account if they would like to do so.

Note   Note
To do this, we will use the free Start Menu Modifier program created by Daniel Moxon.

"Start Menu Modifier" is a standalone exe file that doesn't install anything on your computer.

"Start Menu Modifier" will need to remain running in the background minimized as an icon in the notification area for this to continue to work properly.

EXAMPLE: Start screen Docked to "Bottom (custom height)" of Desktop
NOTE:
This is with the default 360 pixels height.
Bottom.jpg

EXAMPLE: Start screen Docked to "Top (custom height)" of Desktop
NOTE:
This is with the default 360 pixels height.
Top.jpg

EXAMPLE: Start screen "Fill screen, show taskbar"
Fill_Screen.jpg

Here's How:

1. If you have not already, you will need to download Start Menu Modifier, and save it to your desktop.
A) Extract (drag and drop) the StartMenuModifier.exe from the downloaded ZIP file to your desktop.​
B) Unblock the extracted StartMenuModifier.exe file.​
C) Move the unblocked StartMenuModifier.exe file to where you would like to keep it save at. You might would also like to create a shortcut of it somewhere for easy use, Pin to Taskbar, Pin to Start, or add to Quick Launch.​

2. Run the StartMenuModifier.exe file.
Note   Note
If Start Menu Modifier is already running minimized in the background, then you could click/tap on it's icon in the notification area on the taskbar, and click/tap on Settings.

Note   Note

Taskbar_Notification_Area_Icon.jpg

3. Set the position you want for the Start screen. (see screenshots below)
Start_Menu_Modifier-1.jpgStart_Menu_Modifier-2.jpg
A) If you select a position with a "custom height", then you can type in how many pixels high you want the Start screen to be, and click/tap on OK.​
NOTE: The default is 360 pixels.​
height.jpg

4. If you have more than one display screen, you can select what display number you want to have the Start screen display on when using the hotkey in step 5 below. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: You can open Screen resolution settings, and click/tap on Identify to see what number is assigned to each display.
Start_Menu_Modifier-3.jpg

5. Click/tap in the Hotkey field, press a key (ex: S) that you want to be used as the hotkey. If you like, you could check one or more of the boxes (ex: Ctrl) below this to have as part of a hotkey combination (ex: Ctrl+S). (see top screenshot below step 3)
Note   Note
Whenever you have the Start screen opened, you can use this hotkey to toggle between the default full screen Start screen and whatever position you have set in step 1 above.

Note   Note

A) Click/tap on Register Hotkey, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)​
NOTE: You can click/tap on Unregister Hotkey to remove the hotkey, and be able to set a new hotkey if you like.​
Register_Hotkey.jpg

6. When finished, check the Run at windows startup box, click/tap on Apply, and minimize Start Menu Modifier to the notification area. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: Checking the Run at windows startup box will have Start Menu Modifier shortly have you sign in to keep this working.
Apply.jpg

That's it,
Shawn

Attachments

• Start_Screen.png
    Start_Screen.png
    520 bytes · Views: 215
Last edited:
Nice one Brink!
Can Eliminate the complaints of cannot-be-seen taskbar.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Y520
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 7300HQ
    Motherboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Memory
    4GB DDR4-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB 5400 RPM
    Keyboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Core
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbps
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Other Info
    PC:

AMD Athlon X4 760K
    8GB DDR3-1866
    AMD Radeon RX 460
    Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM
There's a free app that dose this without the need to mod or fiddle, I came across it today but took little notice as I don't use mobile apps on my PC and have disabled the start window completely. :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 x64 / Windows 7 Ultimate x64 / Vista HP x86
There's a free app that dose this without the need to mod or fiddle, I came across it today but took little notice as I don't use mobile apps on my PC and have disabled the start window completely. :cool:

Hello Sonicaholic,

The tutorial already does use a free app without having to modify anything. :confused:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS