Start Menu - Restore in Windows 8

How to Restore the Start Menu in Windows 8 and 8.1

information   Information
This tutorial will show you how to restore the Start Menu for all users in Windows 8 and 8.1 using your choice of free programs.

Tip   Tip
Here's a list of some free Start Menu replacements for Windows 8 that are not already in the tutorial below.

Classic Start 8:
Classic Start 8 | Free Classic Style Start Menu for Use with Windows® 8 | ClassicStart8.com

Handy Start Menu:
Handy Start Menu: Makes Working with Your Start Menu Easier

Pokki:
https://www.pokki.com/windows-8-start-menu

Spesoft Windows 8 Start Menu:
Free Windows 7 Start Menu for Windows 8

StartMenu8:
IObit StartMenu8 Free download, Bring Start Menu back to Windows 8

StartMenuPlus8:
StartMenuPlus8 Advanced Start Menu

StartW8:
Start Menu for Windows 8

Wentutu Start Menu for Windows 8:
Wentutu Start Menu for Windows 8

OPTION ONE

To Restore Start Menu in Windows 8 using "Classic Shell"

Note   Note
Classic Shell is a collection of features that were available in older versions of Windows but were later removed. It has a customizable Start menu and Start button for Windows 7 and Windows 8, it adds a toolbar for Windows Explorer and supports a variety of smaller features. Look here for the full list.

Classic Shell FAQs.

1. Download and install Classic Shell.​
2. When it's finished installing, click/tap on the Start orb (see step 4 below) to open settings for you to select what Start Menu Style you would like. (see screenshot below)​
ClassicShell-1.jpg
3. You can now set any other settings you would like to customize Classic Shell. Be sure to set Controls to the actions you want. Click/tap on OK when finished. (see screenshot below)​
ClassicShell-3.jpg
4. You will be able to open settings again by right clicking on the Start Menu button, or by what action you set in Controls. (see screenshot below)​
ClassicShell-2.jpg

OPTION TWO

To Restore Start Menu in Windows 8 using "Power8"

Note   Note
Power8 gives you a Start button that opens a Start Menu full of features. From the left pane, you can pin your favorite applications and access all your programs via the Programs menu. From the right pane, you can open specific folders, such as Computer, Libraries, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and Network. You have a search box field at the bottom to search for any application, file, or other item on your PC.

Right clicking on the Power8's Start button, will open a context menu with several options. The Settings item lets you customize Power8 to how you like. You can set Power8 to auto start each time you sign in to Windows 8. You can also resize the button or change its image. You can block all "Metro" features, which means your mouse will no longer open the Start screen thumbnail or the Charms bar. If you block all "Metro" features, you will still be able to press the Windows key to get to the Start screen, or press Win+C to open the Charms bar.

1. Download and install Power8.​
Power8-1.jpg
Power8-2.jpg
Power8-3.jpg

OPTION THREE

To Restore Start Menu in Windows 8 using "Start Button 8"

Note   Note
The free Start Button 8 (aka: Start Menu X) program by Denys Nazarenko, Developer of Start Menu 7, adds a fully customizable Start button and Start Menu to your Windows 8.

Right clicking on Start Menu X's Start button or notification area icon, will open a context menu to allow to set and customize Start Button 8 how you like.

1. Download and install Start Button 8 (aka: Start Menu X).​
StartMenuX-1.jpg
StartMenuX-2.jpg

OPTION FOUR

To Restore Start Menu in Windows 8 using "Start Menu Reviver"

Note   Note
Don't just replace your Start Menu - revive it. Start Menu Reviver is designed for you, whether you just want a Start Menu back in Windows 8, or want to have more control in Windows 7. The unique tile structure in Start Menu Reviver means that it is the only Start Menu that is also truly touch-friendly. Start Menu Reviver accommodates up to 32 tiles so you can customize it for a truly personal experience. Choose which applications, documents, folders and more you want to launch directly from your Start Menu. You can also change the tile images using our ever-growing library of icons, or create your very own. Launch both traditional desktop programs and new Windows 8 modern applications directly from the Start Menu.

1. Download and install Start Menu Reviver.​

OPTION FIVE

To Restore Start Menu in Windows 8 using Stardock "Start8"

Note   Note
While Start8 by Stardock is not a free program, it is only $4.99. It is an excellent program if none of the free programs above did not meet your needs.

Start8 Start menu for Windows 8. Bring the Windows 8 Start menu back.

• Add the best Windows 8 start menu to your desktop
  • Windows 7-styled start menu enhanced for Windows 8
  • Pin Modern applications to the Windows 8 start menu
  • Boot directly to the Windows 8 desktop

1. To purchase/try, download, and install Start8.​
NOTE: If you like, you could try Start8 for 30 days free before needing to purchase or uninstall it.​

That's it,
Shawn

Attachments

• Start_Screen.png
    Start_Screen.png
    520 bytes · Views: 383
Last edited:
it says the download size is 8.4 mb. do you know what other security programs i might have, and how to get to them,other then nortons. thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Bill,

Well, only you will know what programs you have installed.

If you have Norton installed, then check in it's settings to make sure it's not blocking the ClassicShellSetup_3_6_2.exe file, or add it to it's allow to run list.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Its funny how people now miss and value it, once its gone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Lenovo Z480
    CPU
    i3-3110m
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    4GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Integrated Graphics
If you want an exact replica of W7 Orb/Start Menu, with ALL the functions, click: Ex7ForW8.

It requres slightly more work, as you need the W7 Installation disk to load it; but it only takes a matter of seconds to extract Explorer 7 files.

Once loaded it has a toggle switch between Explorer8/Metro and Explorer7/Orb Start Menu.

In effect you're running either Explorer 7 or 8. When using Ex7 Metro is totally gone, on boot and after boot; but only a click away if you need to access it from the active GUI.

I'm using it on Enterprise 8, and after all available updates still runs seamless. And W8 on SSD SATA3 with I5 CPU absolutely flies. :thumb:

Thanks for the heads up on this one! I am going to give it a try.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CyberPower
    CPU
    i5 2500K
    Motherboard
    Asus P8P67 Deluxe
    Memory
    8 gigabytes Corsair PC3-12800 DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 460 superclocked
    Sound Card
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic 23" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    128 Gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD
    128 Gb Kingston Hyper X SSD
    1 Tb Western Digital Caviar Black HDD
    PSU
    1000 watt Coolermaster modular
    Case
    Coolermaster Haf X full tower
    Cooling
    Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitec M310 USB cordless
    Internet Speed
    1.5 mb/s download 300 kb/s upload
Ex7 for W8 is good its true windows 7 start button with same functionality and it disables all the "modern" UI nonsense. but its easy to turn back to default windows 8 interface. Still I somehow feel like I'm cheating myself... why could not microsoft just leave start menu option even if its same thing that was in windows 7 not much work here.. and there was start menu in preview version but it was ripped out ..

I dont need menu that takes full screen i dont need software that can't be run in window mode.. full sceen = no multitasking.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 uiltimate, Windows 8.1 pro 64bit, Windows server 2008R2, Windows 10 TP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Power8 and Start Button 8 (aka: Start Menu X) added to tutorial. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
If you want an exact replica of W7 Orb/Start Menu, with ALL the functions, click: Ex7ForW8.

It requres slightly more work, as you need the W7 Installation disk to load it; but it only takes a matter of seconds to extract Explorer 7 files.

Once loaded it has a toggle switch between Explorer8/Metro and Explorer7/Orb Start Menu.

In effect you're running either Explorer 7 or 8. When using Ex7 Metro is totally gone, on boot and after boot; but only a click away if you need to access it from the active GUI.

I'm using it on Enterprise 8, and after all available updates still runs seamless. And W8 on SSD SATA3 with I5 CPU absolutely flies. :thumb:

Have tried all of the rest and this is an exact replica of Win7 Start, even had all my defaults loaded after installing using my 7 files off adjoining partition. But it is much faster than either 7 or 8 normally is, due to the 8 Metro features not being loaded into RAM.

IMO with this Start menu Win8 would be nearly perfect. Now I want my gadgets back! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
I found software very similar to Ex7ForW8 (i think same author).. it brings start menu that feels like windows 7 and dont disable metro and other windows 8 features.. it is not free but you can get it very cheap 3USD for 2PCs
StartIsBack - real start menu in Windows 8

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 uiltimate, Windows 8.1 pro 64bit, Windows server 2008R2, Windows 10 TP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I use Start8 from stardock as well. - O.K. you have to pay for it (after a free trial) but its very cheap, $4.99 or £3.00 in real money. :)
thats hardly breaking the bank and I like to support the developer.

someone said :-
"it doesn't, (or didn't when I tried beta 9.0.4.0), do all the functions of the original W7 start menu. From memory you couldn't rename start menu items, move sub-menu items up to the main menu item by drag/drop, send to desktop as shortcut."

Well - not exactly true, - I managed to rename menu items easily - properties ( under general tab for each item)
Also you CAN drag & drop sub menu items to the main menu`s.
the only thing I agree with is that you can`t send items to the desktop as shortcuts directly, but its easy to just open file location then copy shortcut or THEN drag & drop so thats no biggy either.

I also like the fact that its easy to configure to open windows to the desktop, disable the charms bar and hot corners and regain the look and function of windows 7.

Of course it is a matter of choice what you use, I just happen to like start8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Poo Edition (& Windows 7 Premium)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo 2561 (& a Pavillion H.P.P6)
    CPU
    Core i5 i5-2120 / 3.3 GHz (HP= Core i3-2120)
    Motherboard
    ECS H61 MATX (HP =H61 m/Bd)
    Memory
    8,077 MB DDR3 1333Mhz SDRAM (HP= Same)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Integrated (HP= Palit 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 630)
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZxR (Hp= Realtek ALC 656 )
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell S2340T/Samsung SA100 (Hp= SA-100)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080( HP= Same)
    Hard Drives
    120GB SSD,2TB 7200rpm SATA II,1.5TB 7200rpm SATA II,USB2 2TB seagate SATA II, USB2 500GB Seagate SATA II, ,USB3 4TB Seagate SATA II , USB3 64GB (Readyboost) Thumb drive, microSD(a) 32GB, microSD(b) 64GB, microSD(c) 2GB in USB adapter (recovery keys),
    PSU
    240W/(500W)
    Case
    Generic Lenovo(mini Tower)
    Cooling
    Generic single fan(same)
    Keyboard
    Emprex 6310U and Lenovo SK-8861 cordless (Hp=KMO 2004 cordless)
    Mouse
    Tecknet M002 and Logitech T620 Touch mouse & Lenovo cordless (2 workstations) (HP= KMO2002 cordlesss
    Internet Speed
    100MB
    Browser
    IE11 + Firefox
    Antivirus
    Defender(PC1),McAffee(PC2),Norton 360(PC3).
    Other Info
    I have 3 Systems, this one (lenovo) & the P6 which has nearly identical specs but runs windows 7 (considerably more reliably.)
    and a Vista laptop which also has no problems -I actually LIKE vista (ooh - controversial!!)
Start8 is even better! I'm using it :D

Agree. Gives you the new native look and feel of Windows 8. Very well made I think. If one would like to one can also opt to have the Metro start screen to pop up as a menu instead. Cost $4.99, but I think it is worth it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro

I had been using Classic Shell and telling everyone to use it. I just stumbled on this app, Ex7forW8 because I specifically searched Google for a way to disable the "metro" UI completely. I was so impressed I wanted to tell everyone here so I did a search and found this thread. LOL I absolutely love this because does exactly what it says, gives you back your start menu while keeping the metro UI from loading at all. It has no extra bloat you don't need like most of the other apps in the list in this thread. I'm even using it with Classic Shell to get the other missing features back in Explorer except for the start orb as Classic Shell doesn't disable metro.

I find it strange Brink didn't add this to the list of other apps that are not in the tutorial - it's the best solution for the job IMO. It is on the first page anyway, hopefully no one will over look trying it out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64 bit
    HP Pavillion G7-2251dx
    CPU
    AMD A-8 4500M
    Memory
    8 Gigabytes DDR3 sdram
    Graphics Card(s)
    Discrete ATI Radeon HD 7640G with 2 Gigs
    Sound Card
    IDT Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    500 gig
    Internet Speed
    3.5 mb/sec

I had been using Classic Shell and telling everyone to use it. I just stumbled on this app, Ex7forW8 because I specifically searched Google for a way to disable the "metro" UI completely. I was so impressed I wanted to tell everyone here so I did a search and found this thread. LOL I absolutely love this because does exactly what it says, gives you back your start menu while keeping the metro UI from loading at all. It has no extra bloat you don't need like most of the other apps in the list in this thread. I'm even using it with Classic Shell to get the other missing features back in Explorer except for the start orb as Classic Shell doesn't disable metro.

I find it strange Brink didn't add this to the list of other apps that are not in the tutorial - it's the best solution for the job IMO. It is on the first page anyway, hopefully no one will over look trying it out.

Ex7forW8? :)

that one uses Win7 Explorer so it doesn't do the same thing the others do.
It's good it wasn't added to the list in the tutorial because it's more like a hack and not an installable program.

By the way I've tested it a while back. Not sure if they changed anything in the meantime but the used theme cannot be changed anymore after using Win7 explorer... AND I was stuck with high contrast. :mad:

It was mentioned somewhere on the forum, more than once. :D
Works but be careful when/how you use it, at you own risk.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Hello Dark Rider,

I didn't add Ex7forW8 since it's from an unknown source without their own source site. I don't post anything that could be security risk.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone

Ex7forW8? :)

that one uses Win7 Explorer so it doesn't do the same thing the others do.
It's good it wasn't added to the list in the tutorial because it's more like a hack and not an installable program.

By the way I've tested it a while back. Not sure if they changed anything in the meantime but the used theme cannot be changed anymore after using Win7 explorer... AND I was stuck with high contrast
. :mad:

It was mentioned somewhere on the forum, more than once. :D
Works but be careful when/how you use it, at you own risk.

Exactly.
Opening Personalize only shows you an error.

From what i see Ex7forW8 is from a neighbor forum.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Y520
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 7300HQ
    Motherboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Memory
    4GB DDR4-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB 5400 RPM
    Keyboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Core
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbps
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Other Info
    PC:

AMD Athlon X4 760K
    8GB DDR3-1866
    AMD Radeon RX 460
    Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM
Thanks guys. I understand why it wasn't added - But.. I can change my themes just fine, no problem on any of them. I don't get any error messages at all. I'm running Windows 8 Core RTM 64 bit. I was able to switch themes while the using 7's Explorer. I uninstalled the program, logged out (it actually tells you to log out of your account) then back in, and had no trouble switching themes. I then rebooted and still didn't have any trouble switching themes. The latest release was in November of 2012. Perhaps it was a bug he fixed. Now, I'm happily gonna re-install it.

Perhaps folks can set a restore point before trying it just in case the Personalize error gets them or do a full backup before hand with something like Macrium Reflect.

This guy Tihiy has been around for a while making apps and releasing them since at least 2009. He has more tools here, so he is known to the Microsoft user community. Tihiy's tools - MSFN Forum Perhaps he just doesn't choose to have a full website. He is the developer of StartIsBack, the difference being that doesn't use any windows 7 code to work like his free version here. C-Net is carrying StartIsBack so the guy had to check out at least to C-Net. I think he saw he could make a good app people wanted then decided to do it proper so he could charge for it. It's only three US dollars for a 2 PC license.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64 bit
    HP Pavillion G7-2251dx
    CPU
    AMD A-8 4500M
    Memory
    8 Gigabytes DDR3 sdram
    Graphics Card(s)
    Discrete ATI Radeon HD 7640G with 2 Gigs
    Sound Card
    IDT Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    500 gig
    Internet Speed
    3.5 mb/sec
When Even A Microsoft MVP Uses A Start Menu in 8 - There's Hope.

In this thread over at Microsoft Forums:

Is it possible to downgrade to Windows 7 from Windows 8 for free? - Microsoft Community

Mike Hall MVP says:

If you don't like the default Start Menu or the apps, try one of these..

Use an alternative start menu..
Free..
Welcome to Classic Shell

Costs $5 but is just like Windows 7..
Start8™ for Windows® 8 - Bringing back the Windows Start menu

They make a huge difference to usability, trust me. I use one myself and would be back with Windows 7 were it not for Start8. Now, I have the best of both worlds. I can still get stuff done, and can have a play with the 'other' side now and again..

Windows 8 Pro 64-bit - 880G chipset - AMD Phenom X4 965 - 8gb - Start8
Location - SWO Canada

Now I've heard it all, has Microsoft heard it though?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Ult SP1 + Win 10 Pro - (x64)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Intel® Core i7-975 Extreme 3.86 GHz 8MB Cache
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Socket 1366 Core i7, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Mem
    Memory
    24GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 6 x 4096MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295/Hauppauge HVR2250 TV Tuner
    Sound Card
    Onboard Soundmax® High definition Sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU
    Case
    Alienware® P2 ALX Chassis with AlienIce 3.0 Video Cooling
    Cooling
    Alienware® High-Perf. Liquid Cooling + Acoustic Dampening
    Keyboard
    Microsoft® Wireless Entertainment 8000 + Logitech® G15 Wired
    Mouse
    Microsoft® Wireless Laser 8000 + Logitech® G9 Wired
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
    Using non-RAID on purpose as I find it too fussy and temperamental.
When Even A Microsoft MVP Uses A Start Menu in 8 - There's Hope.

In this thread over at Microsoft Forums:

Is it possible to downgrade to Windows 7 from Windows 8 for free? - Microsoft Community

Mike Hall MVP says:

If you don't like the default Start Menu or the apps, try one of these..

Use an alternative start menu..
Free..
Welcome to Classic Shell

Costs $5 but is just like Windows 7..
Start8™ for Windows® 8 - Bringing back the Windows Start menu

They make a huge difference to usability, trust me. I use one myself and would be back with Windows 7 were it not for Start8. Now, I have the best of both worlds. I can still get stuff done, and can have a play with the 'other' side now and again..

Windows 8 Pro 64-bit - 880G chipset - AMD Phenom X4 965 - 8gb - Start8
Location - SWO Canada

Now I've heard it all, has Microsoft heard it though?
:roflmao:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Y520
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 7300HQ
    Motherboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Memory
    4GB DDR4-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB 5400 RPM
    Keyboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Core
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbps
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Other Info
    PC:

AMD Athlon X4 760K
    8GB DDR3-1866
    AMD Radeon RX 460
    Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM
You don't need to pay anything. Use the excellent app Windows 7 Start Menu for Windows 8

It grafts on the Win7 Start menu using Win7 explorer, toggles off Metro until you want it again so that it doesn't load into RAM which makes WIn8 seem to run faster.

I reported this earlier in the thread, and am also an MVP supporting MS's only wildly successful OS with booming sales, writing this from 2013 Global MVP Summit in Seattle.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
You don't need to pay anything. Use the excellent app Windows 7 Start Menu for Windows 8

It grafts on the Win7 Start menu using Win7 explorer, toggles off Metro until you want it again so that it doesn't load into RAM which makes WIn8 seem to run faster.

I reported this earlier in the thread, and am also an MVP supporting MS's only wildly successful OS with booming sales, writing this from 2013 Global MVP Summit in Seattle.

Didn't you run in some issues with that?
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8528-start-menu-restore-windows-8-a-4.html#post195961

Apart from what I've seen, all works well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset