Sorry Microsoft, but consumers just don't like you....

"Look at Google, for example, which has faced plenty of accusations over privacy concerns in recent years, and is now dealing with numerous investigations over possible anti-competitive behavior. Consider Apple too, which had to deal with the iPhone 4 'Antennagate furor and the embarrassingly poor quality Maps app. Yet in these instances, and others, consumers have quickly moved beyond these companies’ controversies, and returned to faithfully buying their products in the millions.

But consumers seem to have curiously long memories when it comes to Microsoft. The company’s frequent brushes with antitrust regulators, and its monolithic and often arrogant reputation, remain etched in the broader consumer consciousness as an affirmation that Microsoft is the big, evil conglomerate attempting to control and manipulate its way to the top. It’s perhaps fair to say that few consumers would articulate their impressions of Microsoft with specific reference to its anti-competitive actions of yesteryear, but fewer still would have kind words to say about what the company has since become if ‘antitrust’ and ‘Microsoft’ were uttered in the same sentence (...) Perhaps the only major Microsoft brand that consumers have any strong, positive emotional connection with is Xbox. For years, the company kept it at arm’s length from the rest of its operations, with only limited references to its Microsoft lineage, evidently recognizing that drawing a connection between the two might do more harm than good. More recently, Microsoft has seen the value of the equity it has built in the Xbox brand, giving the console’s dashboard a Metro-style update, and rebranding and integrating its entertainment services into its phone and PC offerings."

Sorry, Microsoft, but consumers just don't like you - Neowin

I Paul Allen.... unfortunate that he never stayed at Microsoft to become an actual successor after Gates.

Perhaps now is the time to get him at the helm.

MS in my view needs a visionary more than ever. Allen is just the kind of quirky, intelligent, savvy, and yes visionary guy that could help redirect the company. He has a personality that is a better, nicer version of Steve Jobs.

Redmond needs to get back to their innovative seat of the pants roots that they were when they started.

Hells yes... :thumb:

Unfortunately but fortunately, he and Bill Gates are one in the same as they are focused on charity work nowadays.

I would had preferred Sinofsky as CEO over Ballmer quite honestly. He's pretty smart, not an idiot, not an old couch, and rather controlling of details. He'd had made a pretty decent CEO I'd think.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
@ Coke Robot: The problem with being a fanboy of anything is that you love it to the extreme, which can make ppl shortsighted, they often fail to see the shortcomings of whatever it is. I do believe ppl should be passionate about their beliefs/opinions/etc, but I also believe in being able to stand back and try to look at things from as many sides as possible. And sometimes, just maybe, you come to realize that a belief you previously held was either incorrect, or you revise your standpoint, etc. I have an informal background in philosophy and religious studies, I learned early on the values of being as objective as possible and considering multiple points of view.
Oh seriously, give me something about how Microsoft has taken Windows Phone and parts and bits of Windows 8, I will sound like a H8er in an instant. I was just thinking about how awful Xbox Music is on Windows 8, but how it is the best feature of Windows Phone 8 as they literally just rebranded the Zune Player in 7 and added some UI tweaks. Perfect. Xbox Music? Instead of taking the Zune Software and PROPERLY adapting it for Windows 8, they just dropped the ball and it has taken THIS long just to get a semantic jumplist view to get to artists that start with the letter T.

Believe you me, I do consider other's standpoints and perspectives. I find it interesting how others view things, and how others will differ, and then find what a proper common ground can be.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I must be odd or weird or something. ... just read that story from top to bottom. ... there must be a tech culture that I do not belong to. Perhaps because I am retired and not socially active. For one thing, I see no dichotomy between the metro and the desktop. To me, it is all one package. Why weird? ... have no use for a smartphone, ... just saw an advert for a $250 phone, the contract is about $1000 per year with data, texting, and other features. My phone costs $25 bucks and $4 per month. No use for Xbox. I don't play games.
NO IPhone or IPod or tablets or laptops or ultrabooks or wireless anything. What's an Android?
So what is wrong with me liking a phone UI on my one and only computer?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
400 million copies of XP
88 million copies of Vista
450 million copies of Windows 7
100 million copies of Windows 8

I guess the consumer doesn't like Windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
1.5 billion views of Psy's - Gangnam Style!

:p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Memory
    Samsung 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 555M
    Hard Drives
    Intel 525 120GB | HGST Travelstar 1TB
    Mouse
    CM Storm Xornet | Microsoft Sculpt Comfort
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps | 600 Kbps
    Other Info
    Seagate Backup Plus 1TB
400 million copies of XP

Hi there

Stats like those without any explanations are just meaningless and without stating the source of that information their provenence is highly dubious as well.

XP for instance -- How many YEARS. W8 How many YEARS. Extrapolating even your own figures in 12 years say at the rate of growth W8 has had would have sold over 1200 Million copies . It's not going to happen of course and W8 in its current form won't last anything like 12 years either. (If you can't work that out I can recommend loads of Statistics 101 Courses).

We are also in a relatively POST PC market -- where whatever people say on this Forum the PC is essentially gradually fading from the scene as an everday piece of technology to be found in almost every home in the developed world. PC's will continue of course but in SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER volumes than in the past so raw figures on the number of copies of Windows or any other OS is MEANINGLESS.

BTW have you just checked the recent performance of APPL (Apple stock) recently -- It's drifting around the 52 week low down to around 400 USD from over 700 USD. OK the company won't go bust yet as it still has nearly 100 BILLION DOLLARS in the Bank - but investors can't see what its future income stream will be as the iPhone and tablet market is also saturated.

Ms stock on the other hand is just a smidgen off its 52 week HIGH so go figure what the Markets think.

Note I'm not always 100% pro W8 -- There are quite a lot of things wrong with it and I hope most of them get fixed but it's nothing like as bad as some people make it out to be. Confusing and irritating to set up - especially for non technical users - yes and that's what Ms need to address. They also need to get to grips with application installers so every wretched .EXE file doesn't create a tile as well.

W7 had its faults as well - in particular that HUGE HIDEOUS menu which seemed to take half your screen space and you couldn't re-size it.

IMO the best menuing system was on XP where you could select SMALL icons etc - but in any case a classic menu system isn't FOR SOME PEOPLE (not everybody though) always the best or easiest way of arranging your work on a computer either.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
400 million copies of XP

Hi there

Stats like those without any explanations are just meaningless and without stating the source of that information their provenence is highly dubious as well.

XP for instance -- How many YEARS. W8 How many YEARS. Extrapolating even your own figures in 12 years say at the rate of growth W8 has had would have sold over 1200 Million copies . It's not going to happen of course and W8 in its current form wont last anything like 12 years either.

We are also in a relatively POST PC market -- where whatever people say on this Forum the PC is essentially gradually fading from the scene as an everday piece of technology to be found in almost every home in the developed world. PC's will continue of course but in SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER volumes than in the past so raw figures on the number of copies of Windows or any other OS is MEANINGLESS.

BTW have you just checked the recent performance of APPL (Apple stock) recently -- It's drifting around the 52 week low down to around 400 USD from over 700 USD. OK the company won't go bust yet as it still has nearly 100 BILLION DOLLARS in the Bank - but investors can't see what its future income stream will be as the iPhone and tablet market is also saturated.

Ms stock on the other hand is just a smidgen off its 52 week HIGH so go figure what the Markets think.

Cheers
jimbo

Personally I cannot see any reason as to why the PC should not gradually reduce in numbers. The tablets, whether they be fruit company, android or windows based are in reality fulfilling folks requirements - e-mailing, social networking, bit of web browsing, etc. They only bought a PC/laptop in the first place to do those jobs so something simpler is ideal.

For 'serious' stuff then the desktop/laptop is essential imo. When my current under the desk unit expires then I'll probably replace it with a laptop and hook it up via HDMI to the external monitor. Who knows though, maybe there will be a tablet around which will do the same job but I doubt it - we'll see.

Talking APPL, it wasn't that long ago that an 'expert' analyst forecast the fruit company price to rise to in excess of US$1000 - he/she must have had a motive for trying to drive the price up. There is so much cheap money sloshing around looking for a 'home' that the funds are driving up values especially in stock that they have confidence in.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
Hi there
OK OT but even with cheap money sloshing around looking for a home Investors don't want to WASTE it. Certainly stocks in some cases could be over valued - especially with most Banks paying a paltry 2 - 3% if even that.

Ms currently doesn't depend on Sales of Windows at all to STILL be a profitable company -- although without Windows Ms would be like Fish'n Chips without the Chips.

Ms has a lot of interesting developments in the consumer area it's working on -- these won't be out tomorrow but some of these products will make a decent impact. Ms is also heavily into the software side of Robotics and that area is going to become HUGE -- as well as Nano technology -- the medical implications of this will be a whole "Species Changing" event.

Ms in a few years will morph into the sort of Exciting company like the old IBM and its Brilliant Labs was. - Don't get rid of your Ms stock just yet because of a few glitches with W8.

PC's will of course stay around for a long long time but in smaller (much smaller) volumes.

Even with the 100 Billion Dollars plus the Fruit Company has in the Bank won't save it in the long term if it doesn't produce anything "Snazzy" that people would do almost anything to get hold of.

People who buy Apple kit want to be seen as "Trendy", "Smart", and in the vanguard of technology. Once Apple becomes a boring old "Also Ran" S&P 30 company no different to other large businesses then eventually it's Game Over for them even if it takes several years as it will with that HUGE volume of cash.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Portable devices will become more intelligent and make everyone's lives easier, but they will still be a very personal device. For anything more serious a robust platform is necessary. PC sales will certainly drop gradually in the following years, but I think that the good old fashioned PC will be among us for a long time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    My Build - Vorttex Ultimate
    CPU
    Core i7 @ 4500 MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 @ 1822 MHz (OC)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon R9 280X 3GB @ 1180 / 6800 MHz
    Sound Card
    7.1 HDA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD LG 22" + CRT LG 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1760 x 1320 / 1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    1 x 240 GB SSD (System)
    3 x 500 GB HDD (Data/Media)
    1 x 2000 GB e-HDD (Backup)
    PSU
    ThermalTake 1000W PSU
    Case
    Corsair Carbide R300
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 (Push-Pull)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps (Down) 5 Mbps (Up)
    Browser
    IE, FF, Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG Internet Security 2015
    Other Info
    Some wired stuff
That's also the thing about Windows Phone, it's not android, it's not ios. It's in between features and customization. The idea Microsoft is running on is having a PC and a Windows Phone, preferably a tablet PC. android is best suited to living on your smartphone, ios is best suited to be the fashion device as well as doing a LOT of internet consuming. Windows Phone from day one has ALWAYS been, put people first. Windows Phone 8 changed that to put people and the things YOU care about first. It's odd how we care more about apps than we do people that the apps are used to even communicate with them. So on and so forth.

That sounded like a PR transcript and I disagree! The WP8 platform is pure consumption. If my Mom, Wife or a Customer send me a video via email or MMS I can't save it to the phone. I can't connect to my company VPN, I can't download a file other than PDF or office, to use on a workstation later. The RDC offerings in the store, even the pay ones, either don't work with Home editions, or don't support Mac or Linux. I do have customers that don't use windows Pro or windows at all. Without customers, I have to really worry about the people and things I care about. ALL of these things can be done with both iOS and Android. Apps are important to what makes a smartphone smart. They are what keep us connected to what/who we care about.

I wouldn't say it's in between the two when it can't do half of what the others can. To be in between, it would need to at least cover half of the stuff a buisness user needs. It fails there too. It is not about the number of apps, but the quality. Live tiles do nothing for this at all....

Geeve

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dual Boot: Back to W7 and Ubuntu 12.04
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Dimension E521
    CPU
    AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 dual-core
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9800 GT 1GB
    Sound Card
    M-Audio Mobile Pre USB External
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 1916W
    Screen Resolution
    1440X900
    Hard Drives
    250 GB internal main, 500 GB internal backup, 1TB External
    PSU
    300 Watt (Dell stock)
    Case
    Dell Stock
    Keyboard
    Dell
    Mouse
    Dell
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    MSE/Defender or whatever it's called now
    Other Info
    Acer aspire One D255, Windows 8.1.1 Pro, 2GB Ram, Intel Atom N450 1.6Ghz
Windows Phone from day one has ALWAYS been, put people first.
I've never understood what this statement means. Perhaps you can explain it to me. I've seen you use it a lot, but I just don't follow you.

And if Windows Phone is putting people first, what are iPhones and Androids putting first?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Jimbo
W7 had its faults as well - in particular that HUGE HIDEOUS menu which seemed to take half your screen space and you couldn't re-size it.

I haven't got one of those in 7. Is there something missing from mine?

Is that a typo, did you mean the huge hideous menu in 8 that takes up the whole screen?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
That's also the thing about Windows Phone, it's not android, it's not ios. It's in between features and customization. The idea Microsoft is running on is having a PC and a Windows Phone, preferably a tablet PC. android is best suited to living on your smartphone, ios is best suited to be the fashion device as well as doing a LOT of internet consuming. Windows Phone from day one has ALWAYS been, put people first. Windows Phone 8 changed that to put people and the things YOU care about first. It's odd how we care more about apps than we do people that the apps are used to even communicate with them. So on and so forth.

That sounded like a PR transcript and I disagree! The WP8 platform is pure consumption. If my Mom, Wife or a Customer send me a video via email or MMS I can't save it to the phone. I can't connect to my company VPN, I can't download a file other than PDF or office, to use on a workstation later. The RDC offerings in the store, even the pay ones, either don't work with Home editions, or don't support Mac or Linux. I do have customers that don't use windows Pro or windows at all. Without customers, I have to really worry about the people and things I care about. ALL of these things can be done with both iOS and Android. Apps are important to what makes a smartphone smart. They are what keep us connected to what/who we care about.

I wouldn't say it's in between the two when it can't do half of what the others can. To be in between, it would need to at least cover half of the stuff a buisness user needs. It fails there too. It is not about the number of apps, but the quality. Live tiles do nothing for this at all....

Geeve

What smartphone isn't pure consumption? :sarc:

I don't need to save videos to my phone, connect to VPN's or need some other Office software. That's me.

Apps are questionable as to why a smartphone is smart, just look at the top apps on all the platforms and tell me most of them are smart. Instagram? Yeah, let me put a pee filter on this high resolution digital image. Facebook? There are dozens of facebook apps on every platform, and they ALL do the same bloody thing. Windows Phone has that basically built in and functions more "smartly" than ios or android. What really made the smartphone smart is simple internet browsing. Apps just came along to provide games and better more proper forms of mobile web sites, or sometimes a smartphone form of a utility. Windows Phone isn't feature rich or feature poor. There are things that normal everyday people don't care about, like connecting to VPN's, that's more of an enterprise thing that Microsoft probably should change. Things like RDC, never met a human being or let along seen a physical human being do such. I might though...

Speaking of quality over quantity, that's mostly the Windows Phone Store, you just need to know which ones are. Metrotube is a supreme example, literally the BEST youtube app I've ever seen on any platform hands down. And no, live tiles DO make a HUGE difference, especially with internet consuming. The things I have pinned to my Start Screen, half of those aren't even opened as the live tiles show my that relevant information at a glance.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Windows Phone from day one has ALWAYS been, put people first.
I've never understood what this statement means. Perhaps you can explain it to me. I've seen you use it a lot, but I just don't follow you.

And if Windows Phone is putting people first, what are iPhones and Androids putting first?
android and iphone put apps first and foremost. ios was designed a bit ago to make grouping apps together, and developed the first app store. The thing about android has been a ton of free apps. ios has the top apps. Apps for everyone. The UI design is a static glossy icon grid that has been the same concept since Windows 3.1. It's bland, it's boring, it does nothing to make me feel like there is a connection to the people I know other than seeing a blue facebook icon. Even ios recently in the latest revision of 6, it included a sharing feature that was cookedish throughout the OS, but you STILL need to have those apps installed to share to facebook or twitter for example. That isn't an innate feature of the platform.

Windows Phone on the hand, has social media built in. First few minutes of having one in your hands, you can get signed into your Facebook account, and that's it. You go to the People Hub, all your facebook friends are in it, as well as the news feed. Go to the Photos Hub, you can actually see pictures people have posted, just the pictures. You can go to friend's wall and see what images they've uploaded and their albums. Something you want to share? Literally just a tap away. This is ALL done within the OS, without an app. It's that "feeling" of putting people first on your phone that counts here. On ios 6, when you download the facebook app to share to facebook (Windows Phone ripoff) it asks you if you want to include your facebook friends into your contacts app. This wasn't like this two years ago, where the traditional setup was that you have apps to do literally every task. Want to see a particular facebook friend's post? Open the facebook app. Need to call that friend? Use the contacts app. Need to see the weather this weekend? Open the weather app. Need to know what song is playing on your phone? Open the music app up again. Got an email from someone? Open the mail app since you can tell who or what it is from or what it's about. Got a text message from someone? Open the messaging app since you can see or tell who sent you a message other than a number count. Want to see what the Spanish word of the day is in your translator app? Open the translator app since you can't see what it is from the icon. Need the current stock index prices? Open the stocks app since you can't see anything about them other than an icon.

It's this cohesive bringing together of information and social media is really how Windows Phone puts people first. Along with that, the live tiles also bring the things you care about first. If you go through my Windows Phone, you can get a notion of what I care about, I have certain people I care about most, I'm a huge email user, I care about photography and music, I'm slowing trying to learn other languages, I care about the news, I like to cook, I care about certain stock prices. With ios or android, you wouldn't know something like that about a person, as it's just app icons. I don't know what all the top apps and their icons look like, so I wouldn't know what something like Pinterest is or what Reddit is or if that person uses that content quite a bit. On Windows Phone, you'd see live tile with new content flipping through to show what is within that app.

Honestly, you need to know people and use a Windows Phone as that is just the best way I can describe this to you. Nokia has a trial program for their Lumia handsets. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Jimbo

I haven't got one of those in 7. Is there something missing from mine?

Is that a typo, did you mean the huge hideous menu in 8 that takes up the whole screen?

Make the start menu in 7 to be as large as it can, it will take up a good one third of your screen space. Depending on how much you have installed, you STILL will have to scroll through the All Programs list, as making it larger doesn't make it feel so cramped.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
So first you say that iOS is a fashion statement and only good for internet consupmtion, then you are saying that is what WP8 is best at?! Seems to me that iOS has not only consumption but enterprise figured out, as does Android. So what exactly does WP8 offer that the other two don't?

You're missing the point of what I am trying to say. Of course samrt phones are consumption devices by nature, but what smart phone can't do the things I am pointing out? WP8 is the only one! If I was like my wife and just used it for social, email, pics and vids, then yes it is a great OS and solid. But it seems that a whole demographic of buisness users are left outside. They want people on their eco system but neuter the buisness end of the spectrum. Though you don't use VPN, or see the need in saving videos to your phone so you can back that stuff up, or have a need for RDC (I use it to give support remotely, as does the IT group at my company) doesn't mean there aren't folks who do or that you can just dismiss it as not important.

It seems the Apple and Google have already realized that these people do exsist. The things I am poiting out have been around for years, at this point should be basic. Would it not make more sense to cover both ends of the spectrum and let the user decide how to use thew device? Consumption or Enterprise.....

As far as live tiles go, they are by default widgets. which in turn is an app. They are just baked into the OS instead of having to add them.

Geeve

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Dimension E521
    CPU
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9800 GT 1GB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 1916W
    Screen Resolution
    1440X900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    300 Watt (Dell stock)
    Case
    Dell Stock
    Keyboard
    Dell
    Mouse
    Dell
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info
So first you say that iOS is a fashion statement and only good for internet consupmtion, then you are saying that is what WP8 is best at?! Seems to me that iOS has not only consumption but enterprise figured out, as does Android. So what exactly does WP8 offer that the other two don't?

You're missing the point of what I am trying to say. Of course samrt phones are consumption devices by nature, but what smart phone can't do the things I am pointing out? WP8 is the only one! If I was like my wife and just used it for social, email, pics and vids, then yes it is a great OS and solid. But it seems that a whole demographic of buisness users are left outside. They want people on their eco system but neuter the buisness end of the spectrum. Though you don't use VPN, or see the need in saving videos to your phone so you can back that stuff up, or have a need for RDC (I use it to give support remotely, as does the IT group at my company) doesn't mean there aren't folks who do or that you can just dismiss it as not important.

It seems the Apple and Google have already realized that these people do exsist. The things I am poiting out have been around for years, at this point should be basic. Would it not make more sense to cover both ends of the spectrum and let the user decide how to use thew device? Consumption or Enterprise.....

Geeve

As far as live tiles go, they are by default widgets. which in turn is an app. They are just baked into the OS instead of having to add them.
See, if that's something that was heavily needed, it would be there already. I'd imagine the Windows Phone Blue update could put that in there, if that was a needed feature.

I do not use my Windows Phone as a backup media, if a video were to be saved, it's being done on my PC. The storage space on my phone is limited.

Then again, Windows Phone has been around for just shy over two years, so it's got things to figure out. On one hand, adding certain features for certain users that are a small niche can't always be justified. If there is no point into having something like VPN only for a certain usage group, why have that as a feature for everyone else that will never use it? But really, I wouldn't say android is best suited for enterprise unless you hermetically seal off the google play store as what took Windows 15 years to accomplish took android just a mere few. I don't trust android security, I do Windows Phone 8. What Windows Phone offers the enterprise is of course Office, the fact is it a Microsoft product so an already Microsoft enterprise can easily incorporate it. It can't be hacked that easily or be used for custom ROMs, as it uses Secure Boot and BitLocker encryption. I think the iphone at last check is being used in the enterprise over android, I'm guessing for those certain things pertaining to security.

As for live tiles, yes they're an app, yes they act in a way like a widget; but they're more useful than having to switch around them. They act like gadgets in Windows vista and 7, whereas in 8 the live tiles don't. They refresh automatically, while some widgets on android have to tell you to wait while it's loading new content. Kind of defeats the purpose, in that essence, a widget is just an open app...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
This is another one of those useless threads that does not really contribute anything.

We have long established that some of use are pro Windows 8 and some are dead against Windows 8. And then there are a few (like me) that are not sure yet.

The kind of arguments that are being discussed here do not help either group. And any posting that has more than 100 words most people do not read anyhow.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
If it's not needed then why include it in iOS (which is taking over Enterprise) or Android? It's there because people do use it...

So your going to save a texted video on your PC of your Family? Not going to happen with WP8. Not unless you email it to yourself, then get on a pc and downlod it. or open it on the phone then send it to Skydrive, then pull it back down. That is a really round about way of doing something simple. You don't see the need in saving videos of family that live really far away?

What harm is it having it there if you don't use it? Just don't use it. How many folks do you think use these features on iOS and Android? For some reason someone, somewhere decided to add them just in case. The problem is, if you start to single out certain groups, then eventually you yourself are stuck with a niche market, not a feature rich eco system.

I know it is a young start but, for a company that prides itself on it's buisness use, they sure did leave them out to dry is all I am saying

Geeve

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Dimension E521
    CPU
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9800 GT 1GB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 1916W
    Screen Resolution
    1440X900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    300 Watt (Dell stock)
    Case
    Dell Stock
    Keyboard
    Dell
    Mouse
    Dell
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Windows Phone on the hand, has social media built in. First few minutes of having one in your hands, you can get signed into your Facebook account, and that's it. You go to the People Hub, all your facebook friends are in it, as well as the news feed. Go to the Photos Hub, you can actually see pictures people have posted, just the pictures. You can go to friend's wall and see what images they've uploaded and their albums. Something you want to share? Literally just a tap away. This is ALL done within the OS, without an app. It's that "feeling" of putting people first on your phone that counts here. On ios 6, when you download the facebook app to share to facebook (Windows Phone ripoff) it asks you if you want to include your facebook friends into your contacts app. This wasn't like this two years ago, where the traditional setup was that you have apps to do literally every task. Want to see a particular facebook friend's post? Open the facebook app. Need to call that friend? Use the contacts app. Need to see the weather this weekend? Open the weather app. Need to know what song is playing on your phone? Open the music app up again. Got an email from someone? Open the mail app since you can tell who or what it is from or what it's about. Got a text message from someone? Open the messaging app since you can see or tell who sent you a message other than a number count. Want to see what the Spanish word of the day is in your translator app? Open the translator app since you can't see what it is from the icon. Need the current stock index prices? Open the stocks app since you can't see anything about them other than an icon.
Ok, I see where you are going with this. I guess I just don't find it all that compelling. I honestly don't want all of my social media stuff tied together. For example, I have the facebook app on my Android, and I believe by default it added all of my facebook friends to my contacts automagically. When I opened my contacts and saw like 400 people, I was like WTF happened, did things get duplicated. So, I went and figured out how to exclude facebook from populating my contacts...because honestly many facebook friends are not honest to goodness friends that I am going to call up or need to text message.

So for me, I don't mind opening the facebook app to do facebook stuff, and I don't mind opening up the Amazon MP3 player to do music stuff. I actually prefer having it this way.

The above is one of the things that has always concerned me about tablets and such, is the fact that with one logon account to the device, you have access to email, pictures, facebook, etc. I might want my kids to be able to surf the web, but I might not want them opening my email to see that I ordered them something from Amazon.com.

It's the same reason that I don't use my Windows 8 box with my MS account and don't have Skydrive integrated, etc. I just prefer to keep this stuff separate and disparate. I realize not everybody wants it this way.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Back