Sorry, bringing back the Start menu won't help Windows 8

There are plenty of legitimate concerns about the Windows 8 interface. But if you think the removal of the Start menu is the root cause of those problems, you're mistaken. See for yourself.

Sorry, but bringing back the Start menu won't help Windows 8 | ZDNet

For what it's worth I mainly agree with him...

I wouldn't bring back the Start Menu, but I'd definitely bring back the concept of a single Taskbar that was always visible across the whole OS.

Interesting that all of your examples are not only tablets and phones but also Apple.

LOL! I find it interesting that you find it interesting. What the heck is this suppose to mean? > "all of your examples"? It was one. One that that came to me "off the top my head" while writing the post. Want more? How often do MS, Apple, and Android OSs get newly released or updated let alone other software? My Droid X2 updated 3 times within the first year I had it. Now the hardware is too old to support new editions. How about browsers? That's a good one. Seems like a new one comes out every month, just like Baskin-Robbins' flavors. I won't get into perpherals. Just to name a few more.

Computers have stopped evolving as fast.

They have?! ARC1020 just posted the below here: http://www.eightforums.com/windows-...ides-4k-display-support-tons-new-feature.html

Enrique Fernández Speed Paint with CintiQ 24 HD Touch - YouTube
Johnny Depp - Digital Painting with Cintiq 21 UX Wacom - YouTube
Wacom Cintiq 24HD Touch demo of CATIA Natural Sketch at the Dassault Systèmes 3DExperience Forum - YouTube

Absolutely amazing technology!

If you mean desktop PCs how about HDDs? Why is Intel and other CPU manufactures always working on the next one? Just to name a few.

My desktop machine upstairs is still extremely fast and able to run anything I throw at it although it is over 3 years old (a record for me!). Sure, I bumped it up to 16 GB of ram but it has the same hard drives and video card that I put on it 3 years ago when I built it. I imagine my laptop with also last for my needs for quite a few years as well but it did start out as a beefy machine too (i7,two hard drives and 16 GB of ram). My work machine will also last me years before I would ever get the OK to upgrade it (i7,20 GB ram...)

Sooner or later you will.....

My phone would be more like your example. I'm on my third upgrade in 15 months and was thinking about the new Galaxy S4 but I think my wife will have a phone intervention for me before I can do that!

Funny on the wife thing, but how can it be better? It's basically the same example as mine.

It also points out a glaring issue that I have with Windows 8. People who defend it the strongest compare it to more of a phone than a laptop/desktop OS. It's not.

Sorry to read you have an "issue" with 8. I'm beginning to see that you like to twist words around. ["defend it the strongest"]? Excuse me, but I don't need to defend anything that I don't create. Products speak for themselves. I just so happen to like 8 and enjoy using it along with a lot of other members here. Where did I ever compare it or call it a "phone OS"? If anything, it's the ones that dislike it call it that or at least compare it to one.

And Microsoft has mixed up the two far too much. Does windows 2012 server really need the Modern UI just like a phone or an XBOX? Does my desktop really need an airplane mode? When you make a one size fits all OS, you end up alienate everyone and making a product that doesn't fit well in anything.

Is it you think IT Pros, Geeks, Techies, and the like are the only ones in the world that use computers? We are but just a minority. How about the "general population" that uses them? I think it to be too bad you dislike the idea of familiarity across devices at least for them. I find it rather ingenious concept and will find it useful myself. One better over what MS competition is doing. Once this concept is understood by everyone, it's going to be very successful. Mark my words.

Stop using iPhone/iPad examples.

I suggest not to twist words for the means of your own ends and I suggest not to tell people what to do. It's not becoming of anyone.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I'm not twisting words and this isn't the first time that you have defended windows 8 beyond logic. Yes, there are some great new features with windows 8 but they shouldn't treat my desktop/servers with the same OS as a phone. It just doesn't work well on a desktop/server but some are too blind to see that.
Or too inexperienced.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, 2012, 7, 2008R2, 2008, 2003, XP,SUSE
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 640M 2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600X900
    Hard Drives
    Pair of 750 GB
LOL! Who's logic? Yours? Your personal "IT logic" is not the only way to think in this world. Obviously MS and other members here think different also. I've also read some IT pros' posts correcting their contemporaries bashing the new system. If anything is illogical, it's the fact of joining on a support forum to bash the system it's named after. 8 has been created to be what it is. No more. No less.

If they aren't good products, why do you have Windows 8 and Server 2012 listed in your specs? Why don't you stick with something that you do like or works for you or at least alter it so that it does.

Last, but not least > You have all the "experience" in the world, right? Your post #32 here: http://www.eightforums.com/windows-...users-rarely-touch-metro-apps.html#post236492

What really is the point of a metro app? I get more content and a much better overall experience if I just open up the web page. ?Plus, when I open up a browser, I don't have to go to the task manager to kill the metro apps off.

Yeah, I have a major problem with having to use the task manager to kill off an app. Sure, I can move them out of site but they are still running in the background. Even my Note 2 has a easy way of just holding one button down to close everything that I have had open and it does a much better job of handling apps than Microsoft/metro.

Metro games on my laptop? The metro Mail compared to Outlook 2013? It's all totally pointless

You really resorted to Task Manager to close an app? Really? Alt/F4 has worked for many years if you haven't learned the Modern UI of swiping down to close. One can also return to the Start Screen or desktop, slide the open apps/programs bar at the left, and right click it for the option to close as shown in the screenshot below.

View attachment 22384

I'm not going to bother commenting on "What really is the point of a metro app?" because it's just some more of you negative opinion. Others here and I find the apps very useful.

I suggest you learn the system then come back to comment. Here's where you can start: How-to - Microsoft Windows

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
I remember the first time I loaded up the Win 8 DP. Opened an app off the Start Screen, and couldn't get out.

So, as someone who learned PCs way back when they still had DOS on them, I simply hit 'Alt + F4' without even thinking about it. It was sheer reflex/instinct.

But it worked.

Then I went to the desktop. Couldn't find anything, and couldn't get out.

Yep! 'Alt + F4' to the rescue again.

Old habits may die hard, but sometimes that's a good thing. :D

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
They're not bringing back the start menu just the start button...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Sony Vaio Duo 11
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 4000
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    11.6" touch screen w/ digitizer & Asus 27" external monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    256 GB SSD
    Cooling
    Internal fan
    Keyboard
    Slider keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech T650 Touchpad & Microsoft Touch Mouse
I didn't say that windows 8/2012 are bad, they do have some great new stuff in them. Hyper-V in windows 8, ReFS in 2012 and 8.1 are some some of the best things they have made in years. Modern UI is one of their worst ideas. In case you think that everything new from Microsoft is good, how about taking a look at Bob and the embarrassing mess that was.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 640M 2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600X900
    Hard Drives
    Pair of 750 GB
Yes, the new "under-the-hood" elements you mentioned are great. They've been adding those kind of things to OSs through the years.

If A = B and B = C then A = C. If you dislike the new Modern/Metro touch-centric UI with the Start Screen/All Apps as it's primary launch platform to where the Desktop plays second fiddle and call it "one of their worst ideas", then you bash Windows 8 as a whole. For that, for the most part, is Windows 8 and the whole concept of it.

I never stated that everything from MS is a good idea, but this one is and for many reasons:

#1. First and foremost > Mobile Touch Market. The desktop PC market has flatlined in case you haven't noticed. MS and others saw this coming long before 8 was released. Although there will always be a need for them, especially in business, the market has declined, therefore profit decline. Throw in a horrific world economy as a matter of timing as well. They need to get a foothold in the mobile market. A market that others are generating huge profits at. If MS is guilty of anything it's that they came late to the game. Then the media uses 8 as a scapegoat for the declining desktop PC sales. Geez....

#2 reason > Familiararity, syncing, and sharing across devices. We that are technically advanced have no problem learning, but why should the "commoner" (or even us for that matter) have to learn how to use different OSs on different devices from different manufacterers? Let's say learn a MS OS on a desktop PC, Android OS on a smart phone, iOS on an iPad, and OS X on a Mac laptop? Most of us wouldn't have a problem learning how to navigate these devices, but the "general public user" would. Then to get them to all sync? Who has time for this even if it's possible? What a nightmare. Who's trying to accomplish this > MS. No one else that I know of. Is this such a bad idea?

#3. Diversifying with the Store and Store apps. Most here have probably used Google or Apple apps some time or another. Has it now become a mortal sin to use "someone else's" apps? What's the problem? Don't like them? Fine. Unpin the Store app from the Start Screen and unpin/uninstall all the MS Store apps that are on it. Pin all your Win32 programs' .exe tiles and/or folders galore that you desire. Use your desktop all you want. Besides the Modern/Metro Start Screen/All Apps and it's Charms Bar you never have to see a Modern/Metro Store app again. You can even shut down, sleep, restart, log off, and switch users on your desktop by pushing Alt/F4 on a blank desktop. No need for the system Charms Bar to get to the power button.

#4. I won't get into the "Cloud thing". Use a local account and all is fine. :)

I could go on, but I'm sure you get my gist. No, 8 is not perfect, but I think it to be a darn good attempt at a needed change.

LOL! I have to ask > Is this 1995 example all you could come up with? It probably wouldn't have been so bad if it didn't supplant the Program Manager.

View attachment 22401

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
I have 5.75TB, and am thinking of getting another 2TB. :p

Wenda.
I'm just curious. What in the world do you people have on your hard drives? My old PC, the one that I lost in a burglary, someone told me I should put in a bigger hard drive. I thought it was a good idea, too. Put in a 2TB one. Never filled it up with anything. It was almost empty when I lost it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Should Alt-F4 or killing it off in the task manager really be the way to close a metro app? We have hundreds of users at my company that would freak out when you mention Alt anything. I haven't had to close applications like that since DOS. Are you saying we have to use the same methods from DOS and that is a move forward?
You also mention "touch-centric UI". My laptop/desktop/servers are not touch centric. My servers and desktops will never be touch centric and yet we are still having to deal with this OS layer that was developed for the phone/tablet.
And yes, I have purchased many apps through iTunes back when I had an iPhone or Google Market for my current phones/tablet but those apps are developed for a touch centric device, just like all of the apps in the Microsoft Store and don't fit on devices that aren't touch centric.

Yes, I do think that Microsoft needed to get deeper into the mobile market but not at the expense of their current customers who use laptops/desktops and servers. Have you tried to use a 2012 server with metro via a RDP session? Heck, it has been years since I have physically even touched a server and yet working on servers is my job.

It is a serious issue that you dusted off as "negative opinion" but really, how are they an improvement over desktop applications?

And I imagine that I've been using Windows 8 longer than you have, starting from the first day that they released it to their MSDN customers so I'll skip your How to link. Let me know when you have a network of computers running in Hyper-V in your windows 8 box. I use windows 8 like most people do - by skipping the metro stuff.

Are you really so nieve that you think that people who are put in charge of servers need to have a reference to their moble device to figure out how to move around? Too much effort to keep up with Apple but then again, Apple let their servers die off. That is a HUGE cash cow for Microsoft and an insult to everyone having to spend $100K on the software for a server. But then again, why should I listen to someone who doesn't even work in the field...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 640M 2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600X900
    Hard Drives
    Pair of 750 GB

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.

Wenda.
I'm just curious. What in the world do you people have on your hard drives? My old PC, the one that I lost in a burglary, someone told me I should put in a bigger hard drive. I thought it was a good idea, too. Put in a 2TB one. Never filled it up with anything. It was almost empty when I lost it.

Well personally, I collect Operating Systems, and also have many hours of video & recorded TV shows. Most software is also backed-up there. I won't store anything in the cloud under any circumstances, so I can never have too much physical storage.There is over 15 years'-worth of stuff backed up as well. I also have the installation files and patches for all my software because if we do get forced into the cloud and subscription-based software, I'll be disconnecting and going 'net-less'. The cloud holds no interest whatsoever for me, and I refuse to pay for software more than once, or buy software which requires an internet connection in order to buy or use.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.

Wenda.

Video content for me. When my old hard drive died last December, I lost over 300 gigs of video along with about 100 or so gigs of music which I'm slowing rebuilding back. I had four, five drives with varying capacities full of videos that I copied over to my new terabyte drive, I only have just about 300 gigs left and I have yet to recover my other ones.

Ripping DVDs is what I do. I used to copy them over as .isos but I'm getting fed up with the over the top amount of promos and crap I can't forward through quickly enough so I just take the video and leave the rest. The whole 24 series for example, will take up about 300 gigs. :eek:

Which is why with my new desktop PC I shall be building this summer will have capacity for either four or five 3 drive hot swap bays that will be used for Storage Spaces in Windows 8.1 with ReFS.

There's that, as well as backing up other peoples' user data when I do clean installs of Windows onto their PCs.

Games. I haven't been doing a ton of PC gaming in the past couple years unfortunately, and I'm concerned that if I start Steaming, I will never stop. My gamer friend has gone through a whole terabyte drive (I think it might be 2, I don't remember what drive we put into his rig when I built it) JUST from Steam downloading and installing.

If I could, I would download a copy of the world! :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
If I could, I would download a copy of the world! :cool:

FYI, you are currently living in the matrix. I am a sentient program posing as a forum member. Your real body will feed me for years to come.

Anyway, a backup copy of the matrix is made once a month. I'll see if I can get you a copy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Video content for me. When my old hard drive died last December, I lost over 300 gigs of video along with about 100 or so gigs of music which I'm slowing rebuilding back. I had four, five drives with varying capacities full of videos that I copied over to my new terabyte drive, I only have just about 300 gigs left and I have yet to recover my other ones.

That is the reason I have a lot of spare Hard Disk capacity. I have my media files backed up onto three computers. No way do I want to lose my music videos downloaded over several years or spend weeks re-ripping and tagging my Music collection.

I may have gone a bit overboard though. My current motherboard has 14 SATA ports, though not all are in use yet

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3930K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte X79s
    Memory
    16.0GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 680
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster ZxR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2711 and 2407WFP
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 and 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    3 x SSD
    Mix of 2, 3 and 4 TB Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair HX1050
    Case
    Lian Li Diamond Series PC-Z70 Full Tower, Black
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    20mbs
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast Free and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro
    Other Info
    Win 8.1.1 and Office 2013 via Virtualbox
Backups and Video

The short answer is backups and videos.
I also keep all of the documents, music , videos and installers I've downloaded, on my Downloads partition as backups.

I have 4.5TB of storage in internal HDDs (3 drives) and 5.5TB of storage in external HDDs (5 drives).

HDD Usage.png

I got a new 2TB external HDD in January and transferred ~1.5TB off of my PC, so I actually have some spare space at the moment.

There are also a couple of ext4 partitions (Linux Mint) on my system, which don't show up in Windows Explorer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Here's the current drive configuration on this laptop.

The top row are internal drives, 2 x 750GB each partitioned in two equally sized partitions.

Row 2 are external pocket-drives, each 640GB again partitioned into two equal partitions.

Third row is an external 2TB with multimedia files (backup drive).

Plus Blu-ray drive and a 1GB thumb-drive. :shock::)

There's another 500GB external not currently connected, it also contains backups.

Wenda.

Attachments

• Drives 28-5-13.PNG
    Drives 28-5-13.PNG
    49.5 KB · Views: 127

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
Or...

Just literally pin EVERYTHING from the start menu into the File Explorer jumplist and pin Control Panel to the Taskbar. The need for the start menu is irrelevant minus the search bar and All Programs to find a program you rarely use.

I know this, because that's what I did with my setup and EVERY install of Windows 7 I did. Pinned EVERYTHING useful and relevant to the Taskbar, cleaned up the All Programs list, start menu becomes a vestigial piece of UI.

I do exactly the same and did it with Windows 7 too :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windpws 8 Pro x64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 530 S
    Memory
    6GB
I just go by Murphy's law of warehousing , "if there's an empty space, it will be filled"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
I just go by Murphy's law of warehousing , "if there's an empty space, it will be filled"

Oh yeah. At home, I tend to fill up hard drives with databases, music, virtualization, and movies. At work, nothing but databases. Does everyone really need their own personal copy of our warehouse?!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 640M 2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600X900
    Hard Drives
    Pair of 750 GB
Here's the current drive configuration on this laptop.

The top row are internal drives, 2 x 750GB each partitioned in two equally sized partitions.

Row 2 are external pocket-drives, each 640GB again partitioned into two equal partitions.

Third row is an external 2TB with multimedia files (backup drive).

Plus Blu-ray drive and a 1GB thumb-drive. :shock::)

There's another 500GB external not currently connected, it also contains backups.

Wenda.

That seems to be quite a "chunky" laptop you have there. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Back