So whats the deal with activation on RTM?

TechNet ONLY released it to ACTUAL Manufacturer, NO RTM for us as of yet! (From what I can see). I checked my TechNet account, and only the RP is available. OK! Give it up, who has a actual REAL version of Windows 8 RTM? come on if it is legit, give up the link.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
The latest from Mary Jo Foley about the TechNet license is that it is still just a rumor. MS is officially saying "no comment" so she can't get a factual answer. Many questions about the Consumer licenses for Windows 8 Pro.

Update Version - need XP, Vista, Win 7 or Win 8 RP installed on system. In the past you could move this version from PC to PC as long as it was only running on one PC at a time. Will this still be the way Win 8 Upgrade works or will it be restricted to the one PC like an OEM copy. We don't now yet.

System Builder version - No real information yet, just rumors. Is it the same as an OEM version or a special version for home builders. Will it be the same as the current OEM versions, can only be used on the one PC it is initially installed on or can it be reused on a new or upgraded system by a home builder.

Full Retail Version - Not even mentioned, and may never exist.

MS is not saying and we probably won't know for a while yet.

Jim :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Crucial Balistic DDR-3 1866 CL 9 (8 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE258Q 25" LED with DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two WD Cavier Black 2TB Sata 6gbs
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Seasonic X650 80 Plus GOLD Modular
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Two 120mm and four 140mm
    Keyboard
    AVS Gear Blue LED Backlight
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble Mouse USB, Logitech Precision Game Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    NIS, Malwarebytes Premium 2
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Motorola SB6120 Gigabit Cable Modem.
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer,
    Epson V300 Scanner
Well MS themselves said that it was fine for home enthusiasts to use it for personal use at home when questioned directly about it. Several people specifically called them about that several times during the Windows 7 release and then on and they always said that was fair use.
I understand, on the 7 forms, I was one of the people who actually called and asked the question to MS directly. They kept saying that, as long as I was evaluating the software, and not running a business with it, it was ok. They said it wasn't appropriate for production use, but wouldn't define what production use was. I think MS was basically saying, "yeah, instead of people pirating our software, we'd rather they paid for Techent..at least we got some money". Now, they are going to make it cheaper and hope that this lower price will be an incentive for many people to just pay and not go through the effort to pirate it.

They have since changed the agreement and are very clear on what you are intended to do with it;
Usage test scenarios allowed with TechNet Subscriptions

The following testing scenarios can be used during the software evaluation process. Please be aware that subscribing to TechNet Subscriptions does not grant user rights to test as part of a software application development effort.

TechNet Subscriptions software may be tested to determine the following:

Install/Uninstall – Time and process required for full, partial or upgrade software install/uninstall processes and system integration.
Recovery – Capacity for software to recover from crashes, hardware failures, or other catastrophic problems.
Security – Defining software’s ability to protect against unauthorized internal or external access.
Compatibility – Gauging software performance in existing or new hardware, software, operating system or network environments.
Comparison – Evaluating software to determine product strengths and weaknesses as compared to previous versions or similar products.
Usability – Assessing satisfaction among end users, observing end user utilization and understanding user interaction scenarios.
Performance – Ensuring software will perform as expected to requirements.
Stability – Estimating individual software’s ability to perform consistently, relative to system demands.

Environment – Determining software settings while software is being evaluated by end users in existing infrastructure.

That sort of use was advantageous to them. You WANT the hard core enthusiasts to be all on board with your entire software line up. At $350 up front and $250 a year after that, that's still a LOT of money they are getting for maybe 4-5 windows installs and an office install.
Well, $350 a year was only for the pro agreement which most Technet subscribers didn't need, the standard sub was enough at $199 a year. Even at $350, for 5 installs of Ultimate OEM (which is what lots of technet users used) you would be looking at ~$200 x 5, so $1,000. And Office 2010 Professional (Amazon.com: Microsoft Office Professional 2010 - 2PC/1User (Disc Version): Software) is $350.00 for 2 PCs...so for 4-5 PC's you would need 2 of them....even the $350 professional technet is cheap. It would have been nearly $1,700 at retail.

They then take that enthusiasm into the work force with them. It helps keep them "on top" etc. Of course people still abused it WELL beyond that (Selling off unused keys etc), but no one I know ever went that far. :/
But the problem you now run into, is that these "fans" get a skewed opinion of how much it costs to run this Microsoft software that they think is so wonderful and productive. It becomes a matter of, just toss up a new Windows 2008 R2 virtual machine and off you go. Oh, you need a 2nd or a 3rd server, ok, no big deal. Well, in the real world, these costs really do add up.

Just a week ago, we went over a software audit and it turns out that MS provides us license keys under our enterprise agreements for products we aren't actually licensed to use. But our MS fan's figured, hey, we get license keysfor Microsoft Project and Microsoft Visio so let's just use it. And heck, we get keys for the Premium editions of both, so lets just use it. And this software got installed on the business desktops. And now it's "True-UP" time, time to pay for what you are using. Yeah, Project Professional costs $1,218.54 per USER, and Visio Premium is $769.95 per USER. Ooopsie, turns out we owe Microsoft an additional $52,500 for this installed software that 1). We didn't really need in most cases or 2) Could have easily used other alternative products and accomplished the same tasks. But we went ahead and used the MS software because people under these programs figured "hey, why not, this MS stuff is really cool and it's here and why not". Needless to say the software is being uninstalled where not needed, downgraded to standard versions wherever possible, and lower cost/open source alternatives are being looked at one again for those who can use them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
MS is not saying and we probably won't know for a while yet.

Jim :cool:

Yeah, we are so close to release, yet so far from having much usable information. That's one thing that was driving Mary Jo Foley up a wall was MS being so secretive and not saying anything.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
TechNet ONLY released it to ACTUAL Manufacturer, NO RTM for us as of yet! (From what I can see). I checked my TechNet account, and only the RP is available. OK! Give it up, who has a actual REAL version of Windows 8 RTM? come on if it is legit, give up the link.

newsgroups

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    CPU
    Intel i7
    Memory
    Gigabyte P8Z68
Hi there
It sounds like a lot of Bow larks if software from TechNet was limited to the same period as you could get by downloading standard TRIAL software from Ms'es site. People just wouldn't bother --I'm not sure how many subscribers they have but I'm sure it's a LOT.

I don't have any problem with things like Home Premium being removed -- if you are testing stuff you usually want the most complete version anyway.

If they do try and do this sort of stuff they'd be cutting their own throats --as people would do to Windows what has already been done to office -- there's links all over the torrent sites about how to turn a standard version of Office 2010 into a VL or MAK version which doesn't require activating and still updates.

Might be harder with Windows --but someone somewhere always has time to work out how to do this stuff.

I don't condone any of this sort of stuff -- but you can't change several thousand years of Human Nature -- if stuff is made harder to get someone somewhere will ALWAYS have a go at pirating it.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there
It sounds like a lot of Bow larks if software from TechNet was limited to the same period as you could get by downloading standard TRIAL software from Ms'es site. People just wouldn't bother --I'm not sure how many subscribers they have but I'm sure it's a LOT.

I don't have any problem with things like Home Premium being removed -- if you are testing stuff you usually want the most complete version anyway.

If they do try and do this sort of stuff they'd be cutting their own throats --as people would do to Windows what has already been done to office -- there's links all over the torrent sites about how to turn a standard version of Office 2010 into a VL or MAK version which doesn't require activating and still updates.

Might be harder with Windows --but someone somewhere always has time to work out how to do this stuff.

I don't condone any of this sort of stuff -- but you can't change several thousand years of Human Nature -- if stuff is made harder to get someone somewhere will ALWAYS have a go at pirating it.

Cheers
jimbo

Yeah, and frankly, a SINGLE activation and non-transferrable? That is /completely/ useless for testing. It would be better to buy 5 retail upgrades, you can at least transfer those licences. When using as a test machine you need to install and uninstall it a lot. You may need to install it today then not use if for 6 months then need it again and have to reinstall the trial every time? Ugh. And as you say, if you can't activate it, just DL an ISO for free and run that for the 30 day trial. Why bother with Technet? :/

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
. Why bother with Technet? :/
Because it's a whole lot more than Windows 8. You get server products (Windows server 2003/2008/2008R2,2012, Small Business Server, Home Server, Storage Server), you get application servers (Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint, Biztalk, Commerce Server, Host Integration Server, ISA Server, Lync Server), the Desktop Optimzation Pack, Forefront Security, You get office applications (Office 2007/2010/2013), Project, Visio, etc. These are the types of things that an IT Professional has to test, evaluate and rollout. This program provides all of that software, for downloads, to an active subscriber. It's really not appropriate to most members of this forum who actually have it.

Technet isn't a volume license program for Windows 8 installs!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Back