So, how many people are actually using Windows 8 on a touch device?

I'm testing Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation on an HP TX2000. After a lot of tweaking, I determined I can't install Windows 8 as I can't get an official WDDM 1.2 driver which means I can't run apps like Netflix which does HDCP encryption and needs a non-hacked driver.

But the touch interface is still usable so I was able to see some of the touch interface. Since the TX2000 has a resistive screen and active digitizer, I can use the electronic Wacom pen. The cool thing is Windows 8 can differentiate between the pen and the finger as they're both treated entirely differently. I can't use the pen to scroll the screen, for example.

However, this also makes it a problem for resistive screens. Because while it's somewhat usable, resistive really sucks for fingers. And I don't have multi-touch so I can't do things like pinch to zoom. If they allowed me to use the pen as a finger substitute, then Windows 8 was be better on this old notebook.

So yes, I'm going to have to look toward a newer laptop with a capacitive screen. But maybe one with a digitizer layer as well so I can use a Wacom pen?

For what I have been able to use with the limits of my screen, it's pretty neat to swipe from the 4 sides and the interface is pretty cool for touch. Desktop apps are still a pain though as my finger can't fit the tiny boxes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
I've got a Fujitsu T900 with Win 8 As well. It has worked well enough but is has "broken" my screen rotation function and disabled my native buttons. I like Win 8 so much that I just per-ordered the Samsung Smart PC Pro. I'm only disappointed that Surface Pro isn't out yet; I would have ordered that. I'm also thinking of upgrading my T900 to the full version of WIn 8 but I'm reluctant because I'm not sure it will fix my screen issues. Anyone else had this problem and perhaps found a fix?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, Win 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Fujitsu T900
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Integrated
I have been using it on a Windows 8 RT tablet for about 3 weeks. I am finally getting used to Windows 8. They just activated a great Pinball game from their store.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 RT

Nice one, dragon! :thumbup: I'm wanting to get a job touch screen too. We were at the Best Buy last evening trying out touch screens. I liked the navigation a lot!

I'm right handed so I figure to put the touch screen on the right and my existing on the left. Lol! I've even gone so far as to move my monitor over to where I think it will work and mimicked touch screening. I think it will work out great.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I'm using a Gigabyte S1080 tablet, with Windows 8 in dual boot mode. I tried the release version on a Fujitsu P1610 and hated everything about it, but I have to say that I've changed my mind now that it's installed on the S1080. I've also installed Classic Shell, which makes things far easier while learning Windows 8.

The only thing I don't understand is why the screen resolution had to be limited to 1024 x 768 (min) and not allow lower resolutions. Prior to working out how to get the resolution changed, I couldn't use the tiles, despite the fact that they looked very good on-screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Have not used it on a touch screen yet but will be soon. Just ordered an Acer Iconia W510 64gb tablet with Windows 8 not RT. Look forward to actually using it as it is meant to be used!

Cancelled the W510 and ordered a W700 with i3 and 64GB with 4GB RAM and Win 8 Pro x64!:D

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Surface Pro 3
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics HD
    Screen Resolution
    2160 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    128GB SSD, 128GB MicroSD
    Internet Speed
    8GB
    Antivirus
    Bitdefender
I have 8 on a lenovo AIO unit. It drives my perfectionism a little crazy trying to keep the finger prints off the screen but otherwise it is a nice overall experience. I find myself forgetting I have a touch screen and have to work at leaving the mouse alone.

My unit has a real problem when I try to use the left corners to get to the start or desktop, it is almost non functional. The calibration system is so far into the corners my big fingers don't register very well I don't think.

Overall, love the touchscreen even though this one is not fully compatible with 8 :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8
I have 8 on a lenovo AIO unit. It drives my perfectionism a little crazy trying to keep the finger prints off the screen but otherwise it is a nice overall experience. I find myself forgetting I have a touch screen and have to work at leaving the mouse alone.

My unit has a real problem when I try to use the left corners to get to the start or desktop, it is almost non functional. The calibration system is so far into the corners my big fingers don't register very well I don't think.

Overall, love the touchscreen even though this one is not fully compatible with 8 :(

Screen covers! One that is oleophobic or oil resistant. I don't think there are any yet for AIO PCs, but I would imagine that could be in production soon as it is for laptops and other tablets.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I have a RIM slate 100. It doesn't fit all the specs, but I have been running 8 since the developers beta and it's great. The only real problem I have is that when I installed 8 I lost my ability to auto rotate. Not really a problem because I use it mainly for work.

I installed the Pro upgrade this week and everything went well. I'm using 2 profiles, my personal Microsoft Live and my work domain. It works smoothly on the network and I like that it seems to automatically disable my wireless when I connect to the ethernet. All of our desktop programs work well even with the compatibility warnings. The only work related problem I have is that we use some vendors Web programs which do not work with IE10, which isn't a suprise because they just got them working with IE9.
I go back and forth between the desktop and Metro or whatever they call it now. I used the takbar toolbar method to add the start programs to the desktop, but I don't use it that often. I use touch when I'm mobile, but when I'm at my desk I have a keyboard and mouse connected with a nice little usb hub.
I've installed several of the free apps from the store and most work great. A couple won't run, but I think that is a hardware issue. Next year I may save up for a tablet that meets all the specs if Asus has one I like, because I love my Transformer.
:cool:So far I have no real complaints.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 consumer preview
    RM Slate 100
    CPU
    Intel Atom N450
    Memory
    2 GB
    Graphics Card(s)