So, how many people are actually using Windows 8 on a touch device?

Nikki0417

Just curious. I'm a product advisor at one of the Microsoft stores, and I know when we're demoing Windows 8, we only the Samsung Series 7 slates. One of the big criticisms I've been reading about Windows 8 is that it doesn't work well on regular desktops and laptops. I installed the release preview on my Fujitsu Lifebook T900 a few days ago, and it's been fairly smooth sailing for me whether I'm navigating with a stylus or a keyboard/touchpad. The only trouble I've been having is with sliding from the left to access past apps, and I think that's because my screen resolution is 1280x800. I tend to use my keyboard to get around more often than my stylus because of that issue.

Anyone else using Windows 8 on tablet pc? Or has anyone had a particularly hard time getting around with just a mouse and keyboard?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 (Release Preview)
Or has anyone had a particularly hard time getting around with just a mouse and keyboard?

Oh dear.....

If you search in the older General Discussion forum and some of the News posts from a long while ago...you'll see that some people have issue.

I for one do not. I love using it and have been using since September literally almost 24/7. It's been smooth with a few bumps.

I'm curious, what is it like to work at a Microsoft Store?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Is that so? I'm fairly new to the forums, so I haven't had a chance to browse all the threads just yet. As for working in the Microsoft Store, I'm loving it. I basically to chat with people about computers, phones, and video games all the time, and there's nothing wrong with that! The entire team trained for a month before the store's grand opening, and we've all kind of become friends, as corny as it may sound. I've also gotten the Lumia 900 since I started working there and I'm liking the interface on the phone. I'm hoping they can increase the market soon. The interface on the phone is actually pretty nice, in my opinion, but we still having made a big impact on the among the public. Hopefully more people will start advertising them once the Windows 8 Phone comes out. I know Verizon will be working pretty heavily, if not exclusively, with Windows Phones in the future.

Speaking of which, the Metro interface in Windows 8 is pretty similar to most Windows Phone layouts. I think that was one of the things I enjoyed most when I installed the release preview.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 (Release Preview)
I am using Windows 8 on a touch device, in my case the Samsung Slate. But the Slate was NOT my first touch device for Windows 8. Believe it or not, it was an iPad! Well sort of...

I have an iPad app from Splashtop, that acts as a remote desktop client and supports most of the Windows gestures. It requires you to install host software on the Windows 8 box and also to connect with the iPad over a local wifi connection. I ran Windows 8 on a virtual machine at first and later booting directly into a dedicated partition. The touch experience is NOT as fast as a dedicated tablet, but it wetted my appetite for the Slate.

That said, I do believe one's perception of Windows 8 is enhanced on a touch device. Most of angst I notice on this site, is from those who use the traditional keyboard/mouse setup. I do wonder about the MS Touch Mouse. It is designed for gestures in Windows 7 & 8. Even Mac OS nows has iPad style gestures when using a touch pad. I'll have to try the MS Touch Mouse and report back...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Sony Vaio Duo 11
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 4000
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    11.6" touch screen w/ digitizer & Asus 27" external monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    256 GB SSD
    Cooling
    Internal fan
    Keyboard
    Slider keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech T650 Touchpad & Microsoft Touch Mouse
Thanks for the thread and topic, Nikki0417. Welcome to the forums.

I'm a big fanboy of 8. :D Sorry, but my only touch device is my Droid2 which I enjoy for now. I'll be either building a new rig or updating my Acer. (See my system specs) Either way, I'll add a touch monitor for I absolutely despise the mouse. An outdated peripheral so far as I'm concerned. Touch is the way to go. I feel it's a much faster way to navigate. Of course, we will always need a keyboard. At least on a PC, notebook, or a lappy.

I may be unusual in that I sit leaning back in my chair with legs extended under my desk within an arm's length of my monitor, so a touch monitor will suit me fine. I work construction so my arm won't mind or tire either. I'll keep my present monitor for dual monitoring.

I've always been big on using shortcut keys. Like I said, I dislike the mouse. I don't find it difficult at all to navigate with them. WinKey for Metro start screen (bring up or disappear), Alt/Tab, WinKey/Tab, Alt/Arrows, Alt/F4, etc. The WinKey, of course, is the most useful. A list can be found here on the forum: http://www.eightforums.com/general-discussion/2355-windows-eight-keyboard-shortcuts.html. I'll use the shortcut keys for now until I obtain a touch monitor.

I also have shutdown (with 10 second delay), sleep, hibernate, and restart shortcuts on my desktop linked to shortcut keys to command them. They can be found in the tutorial section of this forum.

All in all, I can hardly wait to get a touch screen and more touch devices. I'm eye-balling the Surface Pro, for I am in need of a traveling device. I'm on the M$ email list for that release and also 8 final release for my PC. I will also be lQQking into a windows phone for my next upgrade on that.

In closing, it took me about a week to learn my way around in 8. Another week to learn shortcut keys. It's been about five weeks and I dare say that I'm getting around in 8 better than I do 7. When I boot 7 it feels awkward to me now.

Again, thanks and welcome.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Is that so? I'm fairly new to the forums, so I haven't had a chance to browse all the threads just yet. As for working in the Microsoft Store, I'm loving it. I basically to chat with people about computers, phones, and video games all the time, and there's nothing wrong with that! The entire team trained for a month before the store's grand opening, and we've all kind of become friends, as corny as it may sound. I've also gotten the Lumia 900 since I started working there and I'm liking the interface on the phone. I'm hoping they can increase the market soon. The interface on the phone is actually pretty nice, in my opinion, but we still having made a big impact on the among the public. Hopefully more people will start advertising them once the Windows 8 Phone comes out. I know Verizon will be working pretty heavily, if not exclusively, with Windows Phones in the future.

Speaking of which, the Metro interface in Windows 8 is pretty similar to most Windows Phone layouts. I think that was one of the things I enjoyed most when I installed the release preview.
Yeah, that was initially a lot of the criticism of Windows 8. It came from a lot of people that are used to using the Desktop, Taskbar, and start menu, nothing more and nothing less. Everything has to be there visually to use it. If not, it's a bad design only meant to frustrate you. But, that seems to have died down and now the "issue" is that the Start Screen and metro apps have no place on a desktop, which I disagree with of course.

Wow, if I got a job at a Microsoft Store, I would move to that area! Being able to sell Windows Phones all day and Windows products, I would be set for life! I do know how to sell a Windows Phone, that's for sure! I have a Lumia 900 too and it is genuinely fantastic, best phone I've ever used in my life. It truly does put people first, unlike ios or android. I think that's the tragedy of Windows Phone, no advertising. The main ones that came around on the telly were after Nokia partnered with Microsoft and released the Lumia 900 in April, literally months away from the end of the run of 7. Microsoft does actually have a good couple of videos on their YouTube channel that could had been easily edited for the TV advertising. But the great thing though, as I have decreed it at the start of the year, 2012 has been the year for Windows Phone 7. It finally has attention now. 2013 will be even better with Windows Phone 8, along with Windows 8, and the new Xbox, aw yeah! :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I am using Windows 8 on a touch device, in my case the Samsung Slate. But the Slate was NOT my first touch device for Windows 8. Believe it or not, it was an iPad! Well sort of...

I have an iPad app from Splashtop, that acts as a remote desktop client and supports most of the Windows gestures. It requires you to install host software on the Windows 8 box and also to connect with the iPad over a local wifi connection. I ran Windows 8 on a virtual machine at first and later booting directly into a dedicated partition. The touch experience is NOT as fast as a dedicated tablet, but it wetted my appetite for the Slate.

That said, I do believe one's perception of Windows 8 is enhanced on a touch device. Most of angst I notice on this site, is from those who use the traditional keyboard/mouse setup. I do wonder about the MS Touch Mouse. It is designed for gestures in Windows 7 & 8. Even Mac OS nows has iPad style gestures when using a touch pad. I'll have to try the MS Touch Mouse and report back...

I would wait until Microsoft releases new drivers for the Touch Mouse, as they're a bit more Desktop-centric. I have a Touch Mouse and use it with 8 and I think it's a good addon. It makes scrolling though apps and the Start Screen better I think, and much faster.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Sony Vaio Duo 11
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 4000
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    256 GB SSD
    Cooling
    Internal fan
    Keyboard
    Slider keyboard
    Mouse
I'm using an HP TouchSmart IQ505. It's a really old 2-point IR screen AIO PC... It was designed for Vista, I upgraded it to Windows 7 and was using the TouchSmart 3.5 software there. I am now dual-booting Win7 and Win8, both x64 versions. The PC was listed on the Windows 8 developers blog as being one of the PC's that they had in their lab. It really shows as after setup there were NO required drivers to be installed. Everything just worked! Except the touchscreen was listed as a 1 point system. I upgraded the drivers from this website: NextWindow - Windows 7 Touch Screen Driver They're listed as Windows 7 drivers, but they work FLAWLESSLY with Windows 8 and the display is now reported and functions as a 2-point system. The cursor trail is still present and the system is VERY SNAPPY. I'm honestly surprised how responsive the touchscreen keyboard and navigation work! VERY IMPRESSED! Anybody got any questions, let me know!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 x64
I've also gotten the Lumia 900 since I started working there and I'm liking the interface on the phone. I'm hoping they can increase the market soon. The interface on the phone is actually pretty nice, in my opinion, but we still having made a big impact on the among the public. Hopefully more people will start advertising them once the Windows 8 Phone comes out. I know Verizon will be working pretty heavily, if not exclusively, with Windows Phones in the future.

Are the apps the same for the phone and desktop or the apps different? What's it like? does your phone sync with your pc automatically?

I think Microsoft also needs to roll out one big add for all the devices that win 8 runs and show how they work together. That will draw more people in.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7 and 8
Coke Robot said:
I would wait until Microsoft releases new drivers for the Touch Mouse, as they're a bit more Desktop-centric. I have a Touch Mouse and use it with 8 and I think it's a good addon. It makes scrolling though apps and the Start Screen better I think, and much faster.

I have just tried the Microsoft Touch Mouse on Windows 7 and will say that I'm quite impressed. I was using a I was using a Logitech mouse with a scroll wheel, one that kept spinning after you released it. I found that feature to be quite useful. Yet the Logitech mouse would still make my hands sore after a long days work. To my surprise, the Touch Mouse simulated the same wheel mouse scroll that continued well after you released it. A little tap of a finger will stop the scroll if you desire. I will say that I'm quite impressed with the Touch Mouse, at least on Windows 7.

That said, I have yet to try the mouse on Windows 8. There are special beta drivers for Windows 8, that I mentioned earlier in this thread. Perhaps I will try them out on my Samsung Slate later this weekend. I really don't use the slate in a desktop or laptop mode. I usually use a capacitive stylus or the included pen, as I really do use the slate like a tablet.

It is a real bummer that I can't use the Touch Mouse on Windows XP. Believe it or not, I am stuck with windows XP at work. I think a mouse like this would be very ergonomic in the long run.

My hope is that the Microsoft touch mouse will help the keyboard / mouse users have a better touch experience on Windows 8, especially when they get the final drivers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Sony Vaio Duo 11
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 4000
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    256 GB SSD
    Cooling
    Internal fan
    Keyboard
    Slider keyboard
    Mouse
Coke Robot said:

I have just tried the Microsoft Touch Mouse on Windows 7 and will say that I'm quite impressed. I was using a I was using a Logitech mouse with a scroll wheel, one that kept spinning after you released it. I found that feature to be quite useful. Yet the Logitech mouse would still make my hands sore after a long days work. To my surprise, the Touch Mouse simulated the same wheel mouse scroll that continued well after you released it. A little tap of a finger will stop the scroll if you desire. I will say that I'm quite impressed with the Touch Mouse, at least on Windows 7.

That said, I have yet to try the mouse on Windows 8. There are special beta drivers for Windows 8, that I mentioned earlier in this thread. Perhaps I will try them out on my Samsung Slate later this weekend. I really don't use the slate in a desktop or laptop mode. I usually use a capacitive stylus or the included pen, as I really do use the slate like a tablet.

It is a real bummer that I can't use the Touch Mouse on Windows XP. Believe it or not, I am stuck with windows XP at work. I think a mouse like this would be very ergonomic in the long run.

My hope is that the Microsoft touch mouse will help the keyboard / mouse users have a better touch experience on Windows 8, especially when they get the final drivers.
I absolutely love using the Touch mouse. It's perfect for me where I have a lot of window snapping and file placing to do.

Having said that, I also use it with Windows 8 and have been using it since last September with the Developer Preview. The Device Center drivers for it in 8 are seemingly the same in 8 as in 7. I think the main difference is 4 way scroll with metro apps and the Start Screen, other than that, I don't see a huge difference. Although, from using it in the Consumer Preview versus the Release Preview, there is a difference as the hyperscroll would do weird things in the Start Screen. It's snappy now.

At work, you could always try using a Windows 8 To Go drive! :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I'm running windows 8 RP on a Viliv s10 blade. I resolved the issues with sliding things out from the edges by re-calibrating my touch screen. Works like a charm now, although I had to tap up to a centimeter from the cross-hairs on the Microsoft calibrator before all the edge taps and swipes worked properly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Viliv S10 3G
    CPU
    Atom Z530 (1.6GHz)
    Memory
    1GB DDR2 SDRAM (533MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel GMA 500
    Sound Card
    Screen Resolution
    1366/768
    Hard Drives
    SanDisk 64GB SSD
    Internet Speed
    6.41/5.47 MBPS
    Other Info
    WiFi 802.11 b/g
    Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
    Internal 3G (Huawei EM770W:
    HSPA/UMTS 850/900/1900/2100MHz,
    HSUPA: 5.76Mbps (UL) / HSDPA: 7.2Mbps (DL))
Hi I'm trying to get Win8 Embedded running on a 19" ELO C2 Touchscreen device but can't seem to get the touchscreen to behave properly. For some reasons the drivers make the touchscreen emulate a mouse rather than an HID device so a lot of the gestures, in particular swiping to scroll on the start screen or in browser just doesn't work. I've seen that someone has got this working here: Windows 8 quick interface demo - YouTube but no idea how.
Any suggestions?

Cheers,

J.

*** Update ***
Problem Solved.
Works fine using Win8 Release Preview, must just have been something to do with the embedded version which isn't due for general release until Q1 2013.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Embedded Standard 8 CTP2 & Windows 8 RP
Hi there
@ HippsieGypsie

OK this is the tablet section -- but I have to take issue that TOUCH is the only way to go. (OK on a tablet --probably yes) but imagine you are using a traditional desktop with a Huge 50 inch monitor -- no reason why you shouldn't have one of these especially if you do professional photo editing / video production etc..

You are going to get pretty tired or need arms like Superman to touch stuff on that screen -- and with that size screen anyway you'd certainly have just for health reasons sit back to far away from it to reach it anyway.

Also even on a tablet try entering complex data on a spread sheet - Ok it can be done with difficulty via a "Virtual keyboard" but "Cutting and pasting" accurately via touch alone is exceedingly cumbersome and difficult -- especially with my size hands on a small tablet. A Mouse is still by far the easiest tool for doing this.

I'm not decrying the use of tablets etc -- but a lot of people will for the foreseeable future need traditional keyboard and mouse with a traditional desktop operating environment to be able to do their work.

The problem with W8 is that it has to handle two sets of totally different and basically incompatable sets of users - those who basically just surf, do email, watch the odd movie etc (tablets / smartphones --OK) or the traditional desktop user who needs to run things like photoshop, ms office, database queries, design .NET type applications etc etc.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Using windows 8 on a touch device.

I am new to the forums and I have just started browsing. I hope I am in the right place where I will get help I need. I have installed windows 8 preview build 8400 on my Fujitsu Lifebook TH700 and windows 8 is working quite fine however touch screen is not working at all and also the stylus and camera.Any idea how I can make these to work so that I enjoy using windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
I used Windows 8 on a touch AIO PC yesterday for the first time ever, WOW. :shock: Loved it! It was literally the first time in my life I had a blast using a PC, just using it, nothing else.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I am new to the forums and I have just started browsing. I hope I am in the right place where I will get help I need. I have installed windows 8 preview build 8400 on my Fujitsu Lifebook TH700 and windows 8 is working quite fine however touch screen is not working at all and also the stylus and camera.Any idea how I can make these to work so that I enjoy using windows 8.
I think it might be due to that the driver isn't installed for the touchscreen. I was at a best buy yesterday where the "geek" squad installed the Release Preview on a touch AIO PC, but the touch input wasn't working. In three minutes, I diagnosed the issue on no driver installed, found and downloaded it, and installed it. Worked great!

To do that, go to Device Manager. Type it in the Start Screen, right click on the Computer tile in the All Apps screen, then; you should see a little yellow triangle with an exclamation mark and it might say Touchscreen. That will mean there isn't a driver installed for it. Find the model number of you laptop and find the Windows 7 driver or maybe a Windows 8 beta driver. Download and install it, and have fun!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I use win8 on my Acer W500. Metro isn't any better with touch than it is with mouse and keyboard. For me, it's actually worse than my desktop because HTML2/Javascript apps lag like heck.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 RTM (Retinas taking damage...)
    CPU
    i5 2500
    Motherboard
    msi p67a-g43
    Memory
    16 GB DDR3 1333
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Nvidia 9800 GTX+
Hey bud I have the same setup, Windows 8 on my IQ500 series all in one. I installed the drivers and had to manually find the intel 965 drivers for the display but the touch is still not working. Is there anyway you can help me out to try to make the touch work. maybe, if you can send me the drivers for it. It'l be much appreciated. Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 RTM 9200
Back