Setting up Multiple Windows Environments, with secure boot

Andrew124C41

My wife seems to have problems with her computer despite all my best efforts using Norton, Super Anti-Spyware, Malware Bytes, and Open DNS. I am building new computers for all of us using two Asus M597A LE R 2.0 and one non LE, as well as a newer DDR4 board with I7 processor...(board and processor specifics to be determined.)

What I want to do is put in an SSD for the OS and a SATA III HD for data. In addition, after all programs are installed, I will clone a drive, leave it in the system, but disconnect the power for my wife's PC. This way, if she has a problem, she can get back fairly quickly. I am going to use Audit Mode for the install to move the user folder.

For my wife's PC, in addition, I want to install an EXTRA Windows 8 drive.

So, my wife will have four drives.

The point of the extra OS is that when she watches movies form a foreign country, which is where she seems to get the problems, she can boot up into the extra system HDD which will NOT have the user folder moved. Since the only data there will be her favorites/book mark. I am hoping that I can do this so that she can boot up from UEFI...that is select the drive in which the second OS is installed...in this way, I hope to prevent the rest of the system from becoming infected.

My first question, will she be able to boot up into the extra system without a problem if secure boot is not disabled?

My second question, if anyone knows, will this cause a problem with system backup utilizing Acronis TI 2014 utilizing universal restore if the MB fails.

My third question, is whether or not by booting into the separate OS on separate drive, that it will not be possible for her to infect the rest of the system, or at least make that less likely.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
My wife seems to have problems with her computer despite all my best efforts using Norton, Super Anti-Spyware, Malware Bytes, and Open DNS. I am building new computers for all of us using two Asus M597A LE R 2.0 and one non LE, as well as a newer DDR4 board with I7 processor...(board and processor specifics to be determined.)

What I want to do is put in an SSD for the OS and a SATA III HD for data. In addition, after all programs are installed, I will clone a drive, leave it in the system, but disconnect the power for my wife's PC. This way, if she has a problem, she can get back fairly quickly. I am going to use Audit Mode for the install to move the user folder.

For my wife's PC, in addition, I want to install an EXTRA Windows 8 drive.

So, my wife will have four drives.

The point of the extra OS is that when she watches movies form a foreign country, which is where she seems to get the problems, she can boot up into the extra system HDD which will NOT have the user folder moved. Since the only data there will be her favorites/book mark. I am hoping that I can do this so that she can boot up from UEFI...that is select the drive in which the second OS is installed...in this way, I hope to prevent the rest of the system from becoming infected.

My first question, will she be able to boot up into the extra system without a problem if secure boot is not disabled?
As long as the extra system is Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

My second question, if anyone knows, will this cause a problem with system backup utilizing Acronis TI 2014 utilizing universal restore if the MB fails.
No, it will not.

My third question, is whether or not by booting into the separate OS on separate drive, that it will not be possible for her to infect the rest of the system, or at least make that less likely.
It won't make it totally impossible, but it will make it less likely to infect the other system.

What I would do if I were you, instead of going through all this, is to install an instance of Windows in a VM, and have her use that to watch her movies. That way it is virtually impossible to infect anything but the VM, and in that case you just delete it and make a new VM, presto. But if you want to go the dual boot route anyway, then I would recommend unmounting the other OS drives in Disk Management on the "video" OS so that they cannot be accessed from that OS, and vice versa so you cannot access the "video" OS drive from the "main" OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self build (Desktop) / Dell (Laptop)
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 4690k (Desktop) / Intel Core i7 5500u (Laptop)
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z97 (Desktop) / Dell (Laptop)
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 (Desktop) / 16GB DDR3L (laptop)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 (Desktop) / AMD R7 M270 (Laptop)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP Pavilion 27bw
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 (Desktop) / 3840x2160 (Laptop)
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB
    WD Black 500GB
    WD Blue 1TB
    (Desktop)
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (Laptop)
    PSU
    Corsair 750w
    Case
    Ultra atx
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink