Self creating partitions

persius

As a Win 8.1 user I noticed some months ago that my C: drive (my OS is stored on this) randomly started creating new partitions and this happened in the span of about one month. In fact there are currently four ranging in size from 128MB to over 1Gig and none of them are filled to capacity. My C: is reaching its limit so I would like to free up storage on it. I don't exactly understand what these new drives represent but would it be safe for me to delete them and allocate the space back to C:?

The new drives are labeled as follows.
-Windows RE tools
-System FAT 32
-Other
-NTFS

I would appreciate hearing back from somebody who is experienced in dealing with these issues.
Thank you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP
You say "none of them are filled to capacity" so does that mean that there are files stored on all these partitions? If so then what are they and how did the files get there? Checking a few filenames may give a clue as to what has created the partitions. For Windows to boot and function should only need the "System Reserve" and C: partitions. Once you have determined what is on the other partitions (Volumes) then you can decide whether to "Delete Volume" in Disk Management and then extend the volume of C: to fill the space created.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I'm having trouble accessing the information on each partition so I took this screen shot to illustrate what is happening.
I would like to delete all the highlighted drives to free up space but I'm not sure if that will cause any problems. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Attachments

• screen shot.jpg
    screen shot.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 70

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
The partitions you see highlighted in red were created on their own. I had nothing to do with any of them. This goes back to my initial comment that partitions where just appearing without my input. I'm simply trying to understand if I can wipe them out and restore space on my HD.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP
Back